Late Dining - Any Tips/Past Experiences?

CraftyScribbles

Hi, Everyone!

So next month my husband and I are going on the Glory. We initially chose an interior because we figured we'd be out more than in. After a while, my husband decided to upgrade and we got an excellent deal on a balcony guarantee (Same floor as the interior - Empress deck. We're happy). No worries at all about that.

However, when we booked at first, we selected anytime dining. Now, after upgrading, we've been confirmed for late dining. Is that the norm? How is late dining? I don't think I'll mind too much. I'm not a heavy eater. Any info on past experiences?

TIA

Late dining is 8ish. I know they recently changed the time, so I'm not completely sure what it is anymore.

It's definitely my preferred dining time. It means I can eat a leisurely meal and relax. I don't have to hurry when coming back from port. I have time to get ready and have a cocktail. It's lovely.

I'm not sure what other information you're looking for. I hope this helps.

I do late all the time. My advice is, eat a late afternoon, fairly heavy snack to tide you over if you're not used to eating at later times. When my friend and I went a few weeks ago, we would get a Guy's burger around 5 and split it.

Cool. Thanks.

I figured I would snack until ready, and yes, I also like the option of not rushing after coming back from port.

Thanks for your tidbits, posters!

We used to do my time, on our last cruise we did late and it worked out great, we cruise again in a week and picked late. We have a 13 and 15 year old and it works out great after port days and gives us time to relax and enjoy before heading to dinner.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always do the late dinner seating. It works so well during days at port...you can come back on board, grab a little snack and then take your time getting ready for dinner. The first time we cruised we did the early dining because we thought that would work best ( and at home we typically eat early)...but eating later seems to be the best option. It felt like too much of a rush trying to get back on board and then getting ready for dinner.

Good luck on your cruise!

The eating time doesn't bother me as much as missing shows and such when you eat late.

We have done it and it's fine, but I prefer early dining. On shore days I usually eat at the buffet or something for supper so I don't have to rush around. But just our preference

Just a little quirky thing - we noticed on our last few cruises that on formal nights the early seating was dressed more casually (casual to nice clothes) and the semi-formal and formals came out for the late seatings.

We do like later seating and even though we now do anytime dining we still tend towards the later times.

The biggest thing I noticed with late dining is that my husband goes right to bed afterwards! He's tired from the day-- then add in a big meal and he's done for. I dropped him at the cabin and went to late comedy--but I'm a natural night owl.

On my first cruise, my group chose the early seating. We only made it to the first night's dinner b/c by the time we got back on the ship, we did not want to rush for dinner. Because of this, I will always choose the late seating. I have plenty of time to sneak a Guy's burger, shower, and get ready to stuff my face :) I am a bit of a night owl anyways so eating after 8 o'clock agrees with me :)

Hi, Everyone!

So next month my husband and I are going on the Glory. We initially chose an interior because we figured we'd be out more than in. After a while, my husband decided to upgrade and we got an excellent deal on a balcony guarantee (Same floor as the interior - Empress deck. We're happy). No worries at all about that.

However, when we booked at first, we selected anytime dining. Now, after upgrading, we've been confirmed for late dining. Is that the norm? How is late dining? I don't think I'll mind too much. I'm not a heavy eater. Any info on past experiences?

TIA

No, it is not the norm. If you had anytime dining when you booked, it should have stayed anytime dining. Just because you upgraded, your dining should not have changed. I would contact carnival, if you want anytime dining and ask them to change you back.

We always choose late. For starters, you don't have to be in a rush to get back on port days. In general, the pool and slide areas start to clear out a bit around 4:00 as early dine folks start to get ready for dinner. This gives you time to enjoy a less crowded deck. Service I find runs efficiently and less rushed as there's nobody else behind you for the dining room to service. Kinks get worked out during early seating I figure. And it ends just in time for the late comedy show. From my experience there's always an early show for the late dinner seating, so if we're in the mood, we go to the show, then dinner, then comedy show. Works out great.

No, it is not the norm. If you had anytime dining when you booked, it should have stayed anytime dining. Just because you upgraded, your dining should not have changed. I would contact carnival, if you want anytime dining and ask them to change you back.

Thanks. I will see what happens after I get in touch.

We don't care for the late seating at all. I was talked into it again on a cruise this past September, never again. YTD is our choice now, gives us the same flexibility on port days of not having to rush. Our experience with YTD has been mostly positive so we're sticking with it.

Edited by bar1068

Found out that the late dining is definite since this trip is a business/leisure trip for my husband's company and we're eating together as a group. No worries. I'll rest after port returns and snack until dinner approaches.

Thanks!!!

you will not find a shortage of food prior to the late seating. Besides, there is ALWAYS soft serve ice cream and pizza :)

We also book the late seating for every cruise. We like to take a short power nap after a day in port. Showers and getting ready for evening around 6 ish with a snack of cheese, olives, sliced meats, and bread from the buffet. By 7, we enjoy a cocktail at the Alchemy/Martini Bar and run whatever "errands" we need to do. (look at photos, check on a purchase, etc.) Dinner is at 8:15.

Do not worry about missing shows. They may present a show one night at 7:30, but they will present it again, either later that evening, or another night at 10:15. Keep up with the fun times. We have found that the time between dessert and show time is just enough time to run up to the cabin/stateroom and change shoes, etc.

Late seating works for us. Not as many children, staff are more relaxed, and it doesn't cut into our "day." We did an MSC cruise in November that had anytime dining for our cruise. Funny, we kept our routine and ended up in the dining room around 8:15.

Have a great cruise!