Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

Love this. Apparently beef prices have not gone up recently. :rolleyes:

A dollar a pound or so does not warrant a 4.00 pp increase IMO. Especially being the quality of steak they offer and most of them only weighing 8oz. Yes beef has went up but not THAT much.

How is Carnival able to serve Dry aged USDA steaks for 35.00 pp and not go up on their prices? Meanwhile Royal charges 20.00 extra for the same Prime cut lol.

How much more will people continue to pay for what most people consider a mediocre steak at best? 50 pp? 75?

I'll get my steak fix at Giovanni's for 14.00 less.

We are sailing soon on Allure and just recently became D+. We will each now have the BOGO so we want to do two nights in a specialty restaurant. So would most of you do Giovannis twice as opposed to Chops and Giovannis once each? We have been to both and really like Giovannis so I was thinking we might just do this twice instead of what seems like an over priced chops. Any thoughts?

We are sailing soon on Allure and just recently became D+. We will each now have the BOGO so we want to do two nights in a specialty restaurant. So would most of you do Giovannis twice as opposed to Chops and Giovannis once each? We have been to both and really like Giovannis so I was thinking we might just do this twice instead of what seems like an over priced chops. Any thoughts?

That's exactly what I would do. Honestly, on Allure and Enchantment (both within the last year) Chops was just not good at all. At least on Allure it has a nicer atmosphere, but the quality was really bad on both ships. I initially thought it was a fluke on the Allure, but now I know that it's apparently the new normal. It's sad, Chops used to be absolutely fantastic.

We loved Giovannis on Allure, though.

[quote=ryano;45748522

Agreed.

Unfortunately they will figure this out soon and either "enhance" (aka destroy) the Giovanni's menu or raise the price substantially to the point that it's the same situation as Chops :(.

I still just can't get over the pushy up-selling at Chops. As if the newly established low quality standards and increased cover charge isn't enough, nothing ruins the mood of an "upscale" steakhouse like the server pushing you to buy a souvenir wine decanter and good quality steaks, as if you didn't already pay a cover charge for good quality steaks.

I believe you can use your BOGO coupons on the first and second nights now.

My steak at Giovanni's was very dry and tough. Chops steak I could literally cut with a spoon.

That's exactly what I would do. Honestly, on Allure and Enchantment (both within the last year) Chops was just not good at all. At least on Allure it has a nicer atmosphere, but the quality was really bad on both ships. I initially thought it was a fluke on the Allure, but now I know that it's apparently the new normal. It's sad, Chops used to be absolutely fantastic.

We loved Giovannis on Allure, though.

I was expecting Giovanni's to be so good because of all the comments on Cruise Critic. It turned out to be the worst meal we had on the ship. Chops was our favorite.

I guess all of the restaurants can either have an awesome night, or a terrible one. I'll definitely try them both again but for right now, to us, Chops was a better meal and value.

This is good news.

My daughter is begging me to take them to Chops on Liberty, but she hasn't been to a Chops since our 2009 Mexican Riviera cruise on Mariner of the Seas.

OH wow we took that MOS Mex Cruise too! Amazing!!!

Loved the Mariner while she was in Port Canaveral and followed her out to the West Coast...had a great time! The whales were migrating during our trip... So very cool sitting on the balcony eating breakfast watching the whales.

This was in 2008... WE ate at Chops I think twice that trip....It was great

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

On our recent Allure cruise, we went to Chops at $39/person. We received the heavy upsell to the Dry Aged steak. An upsell when you've already bit on an upsell bothers me. The servers toed a fine line, but you almost have to play down the steaks that are being offered at $39 per (....dry aged steaks have never been frozen, blah, blah, blah - I would hope the "regular" steaks have never been frozen either!). Our filet was excellent, even though my wife felt that what was supposed to be a 9 ounce filet seemed a little shy of that mark. Sides were very good. Service was spotty. Our meal took 2 hours 35 minutes, IMHO that's too much. RCL will meet resistance at some price point, I guess just not yet.

So, if you have a fairly standard family of 4, and we all did what you did, ate at chops 8 times that would come out to $1,248.....

What a rip.

For goodness sake all you tight wads whining about $35 dollar meals. You are on a holiday, enjoy it. On a 14 night cruise we ate at the restaurants 8 times. Loved it. Enjoyed the change of scenery. Food great. It's nice to get dressed up and have an intimate dinner, rather than with the hoards of people at the Windjammer. Spend your money, you can't take it with you.

So, if you have a fairly standard family of 4, and we all did what you did, ate at chops 8 times that would come out to $1,248.....

What a rip.

Your calculation is off. You would need to factor the additional discounts for multiple visits and possibly the child rate as well. Safe journey

We have dined at Chops and enjoy it, but it has always been a perq offered with our booking. I am not sure that I would ever actually pay to eat there. We eat every other evening meal in the MDR. We still prefer late traditional seating.

We do it with the BOGO coupon. Skipping it on Oasis in favor or Izumi though

Agreed.

Unfortunately they will figure this out soon and either "enhance" (aka destroy) the Giovanni's menu or raise the price substantially to the point that it's the same situation as Chops :(.

I still just can't get over the pushy up-selling at Chops. As if the newly established low quality standards and increased cover charge isn't enough, nothing ruins the mood of an "upscale" steakhouse like the server pushing you to buy a souvenir wine decanter and good quality steaks, as if you didn't already pay a cover charge for good quality steaks.

We go to Chops at least once on every cruise and have never had a waiter try to up-sell anything.

While I didn't take into account the discounts for multiple visits, with such a limited menu (unless you pay even more) I also didn't count on the upsells. Assuming you are going 8 nights, you aren't going to always be picking from the very limited "free" selection.

Your calculation is off. You would need to factor the additional discounts for multiple visits and possibly the child rate as well. Safe journey
Edited by jalpert

If $5 or so in price change makes us retool our cruise plans, then we'd need to seriously rethink cruising altogether. Not gonna happen here.

Who said anything about 5.00 making them retool their cruise plans? :confused:

While I didn't take into account the discounts for multiple visits, with such a limited menu (unless you pay even more) I also didn't count on the upsells. Assuming you are going 8 nights, you aren't going to always be picking from the very limited "free" selection.

I guess it depends what ship you are on. The post you quoted never said Chops every night. Some ships have 4 or more opportunities to dine out