The upper/lower bait and switch

john1701d

I'm sure plenty of people will tell me how I'm wrong, but I just have to vent.

It seems to happen more and more that Carnival will trumpet a price only to discover that it's only for bunk beds! Seriously, just how few people would find that acceptable?! The baseline price should be a regular room and you can elect to save if you want a bunk bed.

To make it even more irritating/confusing the sale may say "free two category upgrade", but then it still wants to charge you extra p.p. per day for a normal cabin stating upgrades included in price...

:mad:

I dont recall them offering a free upgrade and than showing you the price as upper lower.

Since you get to the actual price for the inside very quickly on the website dont think it is a bait and switch by any means.

It just happened today. Past guest special, free two cat upgrade, price though was $12.50 extra per person per day to NOT have bunk beds. So price increased $200 versus the rate originally shown.

The baseline price should be a regular room and you can elect to save if you want a bunk bed.

I think Carnival is quoting it correctly starting with the lowest price/category. It is then up to the customer to book to a higher category/price. This is not bait and switch.

I think your way is bait and swith if Carnival quotes a middle category which is not the lowest price. That could be more misleading to a customer because I think people expect to be quoted the lowest price first not a middle price.

Edited by JohnSpo

It just happened today. Past guest special, free two cat upgrade, price though was $12.50 extra per person per day to NOT have bunk beds. So price increased $200 versus the rate originally shown.

I saw that as well. I can't remember which mock booking it was though since I have looked at so many over the last week. But I remember thinking it was bizarre since dear hubby and I are not going to sleep in bunks.

It seems to happen more and more that Carnival will trumpet a price only to discover that it's only for bunk beds! Seriously, just how few people would find that acceptable?! The baseline price should be a regular room and you can elect to save if you want a bunk bed.

To make it even more irritating/confusing the sale may say "free two category upgrade", but then it still wants to charge you extra p.p. per day for a normal cabin stating upgrades included in price...

I believe most cruiselines will show the absolutely lowest price first. So I don't think this is bait & switch. You have to "click" further to get the category you want.

I do understand, though, that this might be confusing to new cruisers.

What you are seeing is the 'lead in' rate.

Just about all businesses do it. Car dealerships, restaurants... the list can go on and on.

Up to us as consumers to look at all of the info to see if its going to work.

It won't work for everyone which is why we end up with choices.

It is nice that Carnival has these super low prices which get people on their ships. Not everyone who wants to travel together wants to sleep together, so this is a good option for them.

Hope you find what you need for your cruise. There are lots of choices out there.

Isn't bait and switch when a company offers a price but then when a consumer requests it, its not available?

Online, the free upgrades aren't clearly laid out on the screen. There are usually quite a few different stateroom categories available in each category based on location, square footage and sleeping arrangements in said room.

I do agree that the +$ per person/per day, free upgrade included bit could be better demonstrated in the booking engine, the free upgrade is there. It can be getting on a higher deck, higher category rooms available at the same rate, etc. that isn't apparent when you pick your location and stateroom general category.

Offering the lowest price on the lowest category, and then finding out that its for a bunk bed (upper/lower) is not bait and switch if the lowest price for that room is available. :)

TL;DR Bait and switch is when the price advertised isn't available or is impossible to get. That's not the case. The booking engine can be laid out better to show value of free upgrades though.

Edited by 20somethingguy
added TL;DR

I agree that bait and switch isn't the correct term, but it does seem dishonest as the vast majority of people won't want that type of cabin.

As far as the two category upgrade thing, I'll do more research but I could swear I've seen it before where you'll still be stuck down on deck two forward in an upper/lower unless you pay extra. Where's the two cat. upgrade?

As far as the two category upgrade thing, I'll do more research but I could swear I've seen it before where you'll still be stuck down on deck two forward in an upper/lower unless you pay extra. Where's the two cat. upgrade?

It's based on availability of the cabin categories. It's also not automatic. You can still choose the lower category.

I haven't seen any category upgrades lately but showing the cheapest price for the cheapest cabin is not bait and switch.

I saw that as well. I can't remember which mock booking it was though since I have looked at so many over the last week. But I remember thinking it was bizarre since dear hubby and I are not going to sleep in bunks.

If you're doing a mock booking without being logged in Past Guest freebies will not be included since the site doesn't know it's you.

I agree that bait and switch isn't the correct term, but it does seem dishonest as the vast majority of people won't want that type of cabin.

I see what you're saying but the wording isn't right saying bait and switch. I've never seen it priced with a two category upgrade promo that a regular bed was more. From what I recall, the upper/lower is always priced the cheapest, then if there's a two or three category upgrade, all the interiors are priced the same until you get to the 4J or a spa interior. Also, sometimes the regular interiors are priced the same but then one located midship and higher will be more. O.K. slightly confusing I suppose!:p

There are many solo travelers that might be looking for the least expensive cabin and don't care if we sleep in a single bed. And I'm sure many couples that don't mind sleeping in bunks.

I see nothing wrong with listing the least expensive cabin for those that want those.

I think you are not understanding things clearly. The base price is the base room... simple. Secondly, a category upgrade doesn't mean a floor upgrade, there can be several different categories on one floor... You may want to read the website, and the terms.

Finally, I am sure you weren't getting an upper/lower AFTER a 2 category upgrade, the Upper/Lower is their lowest category... Otherwise, you'd have started out in the crew decks.

Although I wouldn't want to be stuck with bunks, I certainly don't mind staying on the Riviera deck... it's always so nice and quiet.

Edited by poison7fl

If you're doing a mock booking without being logged in Past Guest freebies will not be included since the site doesn't know it's you.

I was logged in....I think it was for a b2b either out of Ny or PC since I was only looking at insides on those cruises. I haven't cruised an inside yet, but if it gets me on a ship for 14 days I am considering it.

Another thing that's misleading is "two category upgrades"... Two categories sounds like interior to balcony but it's only a "better" location within the chosen stateroom type. That stumped me in the beginning.

I have seen the lowest price listed and none of those staterooms were available, but later the base price listed on the search page was updated to show lowest price of cheapest AVAILABLE... still, I agree the booking engine needs to be more clear.

Carnival is famous for their use of words.

Just read, that's all. Pretty simple. They aren't being tricky, and obviously they can't make people understand... it's all in black and white.

Heading out on the 15th soon, and never had an issue understanding what I was looking at or booking.

Different case, but in my opinion a real bait and switch.

I booked an inside guaranty, then about 2 weeks ago got an email offer for a $60 upgrade to OV. Replied 3 hours after the email was sent and got the response "offer expired". They were happy to redirect me to other offers...for a higher price.

Note, the reply did not say "all available cabins booked up, sorry". It said "offer expired", with a redirect to a more expensive option. To me an offer that expires after 3 hours isn't much of an offer.

Maybe their wording was bad. But they're a big company and can afford to hire someone to get it right. Drawing a customer in on a (nonexistent) offer in order to get them to look at a more expensive option is pretty much the definition of bait and switch. That's how I'm taking it.

Different case, but in my opinion a real bait and switch.

I booked an inside guaranty, then about 2 weeks ago got an email offer for a $60 upgrade to OV. Replied 3 hours after the email was sent and got the response "offer expired". They were happy to redirect me to other offers...for a higher price.

Note, the reply did not say "all available cabins booked up, sorry". It said "offer expired", with a redirect to a more expensive option. To me an offer that expires after 3 hours isn't much of an offer.

Maybe their wording was bad. But they're a big company and can afford to hire someone to get it right. Drawing a customer in on a (nonexistent) offer in order to get them to look at a more expensive option is pretty much the definition of bait and switch. That's how I'm taking it.

May seem like a bait and switch, but there is a chance that there were X amount of upgrades avaiable at that price and once they were gone, the sale was done. I've never really had a problem with how they did things. I still have to find a price I want to boat I want to go on in the room I want. Whateever else happens, so be it. I found RCCI's vow to wow sale to be a pretty big farce too, but that was me. To me the sales were always an excuse to get you to look to begin with.