clothes, caviar, and other things

SeaBunny

Though we've sailed Regent twice before, I'm not sure I remember some things correctly. I'm hoping for some guidance here. We're sailing the Caribbean on the Navigator if that matters:

1. I seem to recall caviar on Sundays, but not where and when. Is this still going on and what are the particulars?

2. What can/do men and women wear in the dining room on "formal optional" nights? We're traveling with two much younger, very informal couples and I want to be sure they are prepared.

3. Is there karaoke anymore (at least on the Navigator)?

4. Have any policies/practices changed in the past year or so?

5. Even after two cruises, I still feel like I don't understand how to "do" breakfast in La Veranda. What's the proper balance of fetch-it-yourself and table service?

Thanks to any and all for their advice. We're taking our DS and DIL on this cruise to give them a special experience and your input will help to make it even better.

Hi - you have a great memory. Yes -- caviar and the "fixins" are available for breakfast on Sundays in both La Veranda and Compass Rose. You can serve yourself in La Veranda. I like this option since you can put the exact amount of items on your plate. If you prefer dining in Compass Rose, you can certainly let your server know if you would like a smaller or larger portion of any item that is served with the caviar. Champagne and/or mimosas are also available but you do need to ask for them.

Although 50-60% of passengers tend to dress up a bit more on "formal optional" nights, you can actually wear the same thing that you wear on any other night. For men that means collared shirts and slacks -- no jeans or shorts. In addition to formal optional nights, if you will be going to the Captain's Reception on the second night, the officers will be dressed up as will many guests. We tend to dress up just a bit more on these "special" nights but it is not required.

I believe that there is karaoke on all ships. Perhaps someone else can verify that.

No changes that I can think of in the past year or two. The last change I recall is when the pre-cruise hotel was no longer included for passengers staying in the lower category suites.

Breakfast in La Veranda. Hmmmmm, wish there was a small "table tent" with simple instructions -- it would really help. First thing is to make note of your table number. To order eggs, toast, etc., go to the "egg station" (not sure what else to call it), place your order and give them your table number. Your food will be delivered to your table. Some "specials" like pancakes, etc. are cooked in the kitchen and need to be ordered through your server. The rest of the items should be on the buffet.

Although you didn't ask, lunch in La Veranda is almost all buffet with the exception of the pasta station. Check out the "pasta of the day" (they almost always have a choice of sauces and pastas). Order it at the pasta station and it will be delivered to your table. Keep in mind that you can order small or large portions of pasta.

One tip that I like to share is that you can order appetizer portions of entrees or a entrée portion of an appetizer. This helps if there is more than one thing on the menu that you want and can't decide. Many times we get a "small" or "appetizer" of lobster (when it is on the menu) in addition to our main course. Salads can also be turned into main courses.

If there is something you particularly like or would like to have..... just let the Head Waiter know and it will be ready for you 24 hours later. If the ship has the ingredients to make what you like, they will be happy to prepare it for you. We have ordered Chateaubriand, lobster, Indian food, Miso Glazed Sea Bass - just to name a few. Your options are unlimited!

Last tip is about dining in Compass Rose. While all servers will provide excellent service, when you get to know a server, they can anticipate your needs. So, we ask to sit in the same "section" where our server is most nights. As soon as they see us, they know what drinks/wine we will be ordering (they will check to make sure) and can make recommendations based on what we have enjoyed on previous nights.

Have a great time on your Navigator cruise :)

Edited by Travelcat2

Ted, everybody knows what fish eggs are=Caviar. I love it along with fresh oysters.

I love caviar but am still learning to like fresh oysters -- had some in Namibia that I "almost" loved -- will be back there in November and will give them another try. I suspect that the caviar on Crystal is better than on Regent. The caviar served at the Seven Seas Society events for Gold and above is good but not sure about what they serve on Sundays.

Meanwhile, I thought Ted's post refreshingly amusing.

I enjoy caviar but was not impressed with Regent's offering. Good caviar, well stored and served chilled should not be strongly fishy.

Oysters! Love them any way I can get them. Jim and I met and married in New Orleans which locale knows a thing or two about those bodacious bivalves.

Edited by OctoberKat

Meanwhile, I thought Ted's post refreshingly amusing.

I enjoy caviar but was not impressed with Regent's offering. Good caviar, well stored and served chilled should not be strongly fishy.

Oysters! Love them any way I can get them. Jim and I met and married in New Orleans which locale knows a thing or two about those bodacious bivalves.

Ted's posts are almost always "refreshingly amusing"!

As you are aware, there is "good" caviar for sale on Regent at reasonable prices (made even more reasonable when you use the OBC's that your TA has provided for you).

I enjoy quality Russian caviar as it is less salty. On a "special birthday" in 2006, we were on the Voyager in St. Petersburg, Russia. My DH spent way too much money on a private excursion where we were served top quality Russian caviar and vodka. Due to the cost, I would have felt guilty if I did not finish the caviar. By the time I was finished I thought I would never want to see caviar again. Interestingly, when we got back to the ship, after the wonderful show that was put on by "locals", caviar was served (not a bad quality). Wish we had known that in advance.

For reasons that are understandable by just about everyone, sturgeon caviar cannot be given away and/or wasted. It is simply too precious. I appreciate the fact that people on Regent need to pay.

I love caviar but am still learning to like fresh oysters -- had some in Namibia that I "almost" loved -- will be back there in November and will give them another try. I suspect that the caviar on Crystal is better than on Regent. The caviar served at the Seven Seas Society events for Gold and above is good but not sure about what they serve on Sundays.

Crystal serves caviar only on formal optional nights and it is just so so. Like Regent they have a caviar menu to purchase a higher grade and very reasonable price wise.

When we went to St. Petersburg I binged on it and the vodka ...well too much of both.

Some farm raised caviar in the US are quite good in texture and taste. Beluga is out of the question if you can find it will cost an arm and a leg. The bestvI ever had many years ago was Iranian caviar but I think it is now banned for import.

The Pacific Northwest in your neck of the woods has the best oysters. Just thinking about them makes my mouth water.

Not so sure about that. I just read a review of a sushi restaurant where the reviewer was complaining that they had the audacity to serve raw fish:eek:

Sounds like something my mom would say. She recently treated our oldest daughter to the restaurant of her choice to celebrate her return from Korea. The San Juan Flash asked if the chef could cook her sushi since it seemed to be underdone. My DD wanted to crawl under the table.

Z and TB

Although 50-60% of passengers tend to dress up a bit more on "formal optional" nights, you can actually wear the same thing that you wear on any other night. For men that means collared shirts and slacks -- no jeans or shorts. In addition to formal optional nights, if you will be going to the Captain's Reception on the second night, the officers will be dressed up as will many guests. We tend to dress up just a bit more on these "special" nights but it is not required.

One tip that I like to share is that you can order appetizer portions of entrees or a entrée portion of an appetizer. This helps if there is more than one thing on the menu that you want and can't decide. Many times we get a "small" or "appetizer" of lobster (when it is on the menu) in addition to our main course. Salads can also be turned into main courses.

If there is something you particularly like or would like to have..... just let the Head Waiter know and it will be ready for you 24 hours later. If the ship has the ingredients to make what you like, they will be happy to prepare it for you. We have ordered Chateaubriand, lobster, Indian food, Miso Glazed Sea Bass - just to name a few. Your options are unlimited!

Thanks for ALL your great information, TravelCat2. I had no idea about the appetizer/entree portion and that is great to know.

Just to reassure... Men don't really need to bring a sports jacket or suit/tux? I want the men in our party to feel like they "fit in." So better to bring or not?

Are you going to Namibia with Regent this fall? I'm trying to talk DH into that cruise.

SeaBunny, my DH always packs 1 or 2 sports jackets and a couple of dress shirts - but no tux/suit, and no ties (although some do, its a matter of personal preference). Although Jackets aren't required, many men do wear the more casual sports jacket in the evenings.

Sounds like something my mom would say. She recently treated our oldest daughter to the restaurant of her choice to celebrate her return from Korea. The San Juan Flash asked if the chef could cook her sushi since it seemed to be underdone. My DD wanted to crawl under the table.

Z and TB

I love these 2 posts (with Emperor Norton), made me laugh!! :p

SeaBunny - My Dad and I (97 and 67) have never worn a jacket and/or tie to dinner on Regent and neither of us felt the least bit out of place. Hard shoes, khaki or navy slacks (like Hagar's) and a dress shirt (collars and long sleeves) worked fine. I also happen to like to my long sleeves rolled up 1 or 2 turns, as well. We felt relaxed, comfortable, appropriately attired, and did not receive any "disapproving looks" from any "clothes police" that might have been lurking around. :p You will also find men wearing sports coats, ties, or even suits, but I really felt it was a pretty even split in the dining room/s between men with coats and without. The real faux pax would be ball caps, shorts, jeans, T's or other shirts without collars, etc. Appearing in that attire would probably get you "turned away" and asked to change by the staff. For ladies, I've seen slacks and tops, skirts and blouses, and dresses. All of those combinations seemed to be perfectly acceptable, as well. Regards

Are you going to Namibia with Regent this fall? I'm trying to talk DH into that cruise.

Yes - we are on the Cape Town to Cape Town sailing that goes to Namibia (the sailing after that - Cape Town to Rio also goes to Namibia). Sadly, both cruises are wait listed but you could go on the waitlist. We booked when the cruise first was announced. IMO, both Cape Town and Namibia are magical. Suggest that you look at the itineraries for 2016 as they, too, will sell out quickly. Your question reminded me that, instead of checking out Cruise Critic, I should be figuring out our deviated flights to and from Cape Town. We can book them at the end of this month (very long flights so it is important to have good seats:-)

Just to reassure... Men don't really need to bring a sports jacket or suit/tux? I want the men in our party to feel like they "fit in." So better to bring or not?

Quite a few people wear sport jackets in the evening; many do not. I usually do. If it is cold in one of the dining venues or outside, a sport coat can be a welcome addition in the evening.

At the captain's reception most men seem to wear a coat or coat and tie of some sort, though things seem to have become more informal over the years and a few people don't wear sport coats or ties. Some people wear suits and there has been an occasional tux on the more recent cruises I've been on (last one now a year ago).

I have no objection to wearing a coat and tie on vacation, but I know some people don't like to wear that kind of clothing while on vacation. For some "dressing up" is a treat, for others it is a pain. The good thing about Regent is that passengers have a choice.

Yes - we are on the Cape Town to Cape Town sailing that goes to Namibia (the sailing after that - Cape Town to Rio also goes to Namibia). Sadly, both cruises are wait listed but you could go on the waitlist. We booked when the cruise first was announced. IMO, both Cape Town and Namibia are magical. Suggest that you look at the itineraries for 2016 as they, too, will sell out quickly. Your question reminded me that, instead of checking out Cruise Critic, I should be figuring out our deviated flights to and from Cape Town. We can book them at the end of this month (very long flights so it is important to have good seats:-)

Namibia isn't much - just riding the dunes - hang on tight!

Namibia isn't much - just riding the dunes - hang on tight!

You are right about hanging on tight:-) We actually did the dunes around 3 years ago (the last time Regent did South Africa before a couple of months ago). A lot of passengers seemed a bit put off by Namibia (not the dunes part). We took the tour where you go into the town, see where and how the people live, visit a school, etc. It was obvious that many people did not actually read the excursion description which included the fact that there would be a stop for local food where worms may be served. We were embarrassed at how some of our fellow passengers acted. It was as if getting off the bus and touching the ground with their shoes would contaminate them -- also would not touch the food which was quite delicious (no worms were served)

You are right about hanging on tight:-) We actually did the dunes around 3 years ago (the last time Regent did South Africa before a couple of months ago). A lot of passengers seemed a bit put off by Namibia (not the dunes part). We took the tour where you go into the town, see where and how the people live, visit a school, etc. It was obvious that many people did not actually read the excursion description which included the fact that there would be a stop for local food where worms may be served. We were embarrassed at how some of our fellow passengers acted. It was as if getting off the bus and touching the ground with their shoes would contaminate them -- also would not touch the food which was quite delicious (no worms were served)

Of course no excursion would have time to get there, but Namibia was a higher concentration of cheetahs than any other country. I hope to see that bit of the country sometime, combined with Botswana.

We were actually looking at the cruise before the one you are on, TravelCat2 -- Lisbon to Cape Town. Last I checked, it had lots of availability. I suspect folks are afraid of the whole west coast of Africa due to ebola. Not us. haha

And, I would definitely eat a worm -- as long as it wasn't living.

Again, thanks for all the help!

Jackie and Sea Bunny, I loved both your posts. Africa is very special to us and we go every year for the past six years and again this May for four weeks. We would never consider this on a cruise ship because of the brief stay.

We have done the lovely safaris and visited many villages and yes slums with a private guide and it just breaks your heart. We have eaten with locals and no worms were served. The food served to us at their Bomas was great as well as the local culture.

We now go back to visit and help the local villages where they know us and contribute to their infrastructure and schools. As far as people being grossed out because they live in glass houses in their luxury homes or their cabin suites are not well traveled at all. We have traveled all over Africa with the exception of East Africa and we embrace every moment.

Yes, we stay in the best tented camps surrounded with beauty and the wild. With that being said, we step out of the box without fear and enjoy other things besides game viewing. I have seen the ugly Americans visiting and they can be rude and embarrassing at least to us.

We spent a whole day at a HIV orphanage holding these precious sick children and gave them money for a new garden for fresh vegetables and farm animals. Dan and I know we made a small diffrence and we stay in touch with the people we have helped.

The government of Africa has a lot of corruption and will steal from public contributions we have ensured that will not happen with us through the help of Wilderness Safaris. They are the most wonderful trustworthy people who own many luxury camps.

For those ignorant people who do not want to touch their shoes, I say just go buy a new pair or better yet leave them your shoes.

You are a gift to the world.

I will look into Wilderness Safaris.

The nicest "hotel" I have ever stayed in was a tented camp at the Masai Mara. It was incredible, especially the hippos you could hear laughing at each other's jokes during the night (that's what they sound like to me -- gentle laughter).

The Hippos are fun to listen to and watch. I just don't want to run into them. I love the monkeys but really dislike the Baboons as they are so aggressive. Yes, a night under the stars by the fire pit is so amazing especially with a nice wine or cocktail also known as Sun Downers.