Royal Caribbean to offer daily unlimited Internet rate

SzaSza

From Travel Weekly:

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Royal-Caribbean-to-offer-daily-unlimited-Internet-rate

Royal Caribbean International has partnered with an Internet service platform provider that will allow it to offer unlimited Internet access fleet-wide for a daily rate.

The provider, Portland, Ore,-based OS Wireless, is known for running guest computer access in the hotel industry.

OS Wireless said it had completed an installation of its platform on 22 Royal Caribbean ships by the end of 2014. The system, called ElevenOS, is used to manage all aspects of service including custom-branded portal pages, guest authentication, billing and advanced reporting, OS said.

"ElevenOS provides us the power and flexibility that we need in order to revolutionize Internet communications at sea for Royal Caribbean International guests,” commented Bill Martin, vice president and chief information officer for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Royal Caribbean said day-rate pricing will vary by ship but is expected to be in the $10 to $15 range.

OS Wireless said ElevenOS also enables Royal Caribbean to offer tiered bandwidth options, so users can choose the level of service that meets their needs and budget.

The most common cruise pricing plan for internet service is a per-minute usage fee, with discounts for pre-purchased bundles of minutes. Another plan meters service by data usage.

OS Wireless said nearly 2,000 hotels, convention centers, and ships worldwide use ElevenOS to manage guest Internet access, with about 60 hotels and other venues added each month. Royal Caribbean is its first cruise client, OS Wireless said.

It said some of the advanced functionality ElevenOS has adapted for Royal Caribbean’s special requirements include extensive integration with property management and loyalty systems, customized portal pages in multiple languages, and dynamic time zones to support onboard time changes.

That's awesome! But, really, who is surprised with the advances in technologies, it is pretty much a given that this would be the normal. Good to see it happening.

Prediction: There will soon be someone posting in this thread about not needing internet because you are on vacation. And/or, someone will post to complain in advance about teenagers walking around like zombies with their faces down on their devices.

We are just off the Allure and towards the end of the week they started offering some discounted unlimited daily packages (1, 2 or 3 days).

On Friday, the Premium Plus (high speed internet) was $36 for 24 hours. We still had one C&A D+ $30 coupon left so it was only $6 for the last day for unlimited high speed. We had redeemed day 1 our other C&A coupon for 60 minutes free and managed to stretch it out for 6 days by only checking our e-mail.

I'm not sure why prices are so inconsistent. We were on Oasis 1/24 and they ran an internet special of $45 for 72 hours - though that was Premium service.

But I also think that Oasis is using a different type of internet.. O3B - the same as Quantum and perhaps Allure after dry dock.

Intriguing. We're only one month out on the Oasis so we'll see what they do. Strange that the article is giving hard prices when its seems like RCCL is currently testing out different price points to see what people are willing to pay. I was all set to skip the internet for the prices I'd seen, but $10/day for unlimited would be tempting.

I'm not sure why prices are so inconsistent. We were on Oasis 1/24 and they ran an internet special of $45 for 72 hours - though that was Premium service.

But I also think that Oasis is using a different type of internet.. O3B - the same as Quantum and perhaps Allure after dry dock.

They installed a brand new computer system on Oasis at the end of December, at least we were told that was the time frame for the new system.

Thanks for the info OP

Internet on the Oasis was awesome! Fast and consistent. FaceTime audio and video was perfect - for both ongoing and incoming calls. Often clearer than digital on land. Great use of my OBC since I could not use it for gratuities. Unlimited was always on. I bought one device but you are able to log off and use on second device.

Internet on the Oasis was awesome! Fast and consistent. FaceTime audio and video was perfect - for both ongoing and incoming calls. Often clearer than digital on land. Great use of my OBC since I could not use it for gratuities. Unlimited was always on. I bought one device but you are able to log off and use on second device.

What is the cost on Oasis and do they still have the weekly plans?

That's awesome! But, really, who is surprised with the advances in technologies, it is pretty much a given that this would be the normal. Good to see it happening.

Prediction: There will soon be someone posting in this thread about not needing internet because you are on vacation. And/or, someone will post to complain in advance about teenagers walking around like zombies with their faces down on their devices.

Wait for it.... wait for it...... ;)

Thanks to the OP for posting this - it is great news and certainly will represent a savings for us in the future.

Edited by joepeka

Interestly, the prices on Oasis (1/24) were not the same as Allure. I was expecting them to be, but they were less. I don't know if it's because Oasis is already on O3B or it's just part of RCI's experiment to see the comfort point for internet purchase. I would be curious to know if the 1/31 cruise rates were the same as ours.

There were three levels. I purchased the best since, with my platinum discount, the difference was very slight. $15 less the discount.

They were as follows for unlimited use all week. All prices are pre-discount. The higher the status on RCI, the higher the discount. It is automatically applied when you sign up on your device.

Basic: 256 Kbps

2 devices: $129.99

1 device: $69.99

Daily: $14.95

Hourly: $9.99

Premium: 1 Mbps

2 devices: $189.99

1 device: $104.99

Daily: $19.95

Hourly: $11.99

Premium Plus: 4 Mbps

2 devices: $199.99

1 device: $119.99

Daily: $24.95

Hourly: $14.99

While the paperwork says you can stream videos on both premium and premium plus I could not use Netflix on my idevices with the Plus. Netflix (after the fact - I was home so could not dispute it) said it was the ship's internet that was the issue. While on board, they said it was a Netlix app issue. They insist is was not blocked. Amazon was streamable on one of the crew's Android device. Someone on Quantum said he was able to stream Netflix. So YMMV. It was more an experiment to try everything they said it could do rather than needing it so did not put too much effort into figuring it out.

Did want to add that midway through the cruise they ran a special for $45 for 72 hours. Our travel mates (Diamonds) were able to use their coupon credit towards this and paid $15 for the three days of Premium service. It worked quite well for email. It was an Android phone so don't know it Facetime would have been supported at the lesser speed. There is definitely a way to text message on Androids over wifi but I did not look into it. If you have an Android, it might be worth while figuring it out before you cruise so you are able to text free. And perhaps Google Voice would work. (Android user would have that answer) Again, we had idevices and were able to use Facetime and iMessage consistently. I loved having unlimited phone and imessage access. And not having to think about logging off all the time. Super happy with the internet.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I don't need internet because I'm on vacation. All that this is going to lead to is a bunch of teenagers walking around like zombies with their faces down on their devices. :D

I don't understand your need to have internet only when you are at home. Or working. Do you only read email during the week.? Only look something up on google on Mondays?

Some people need access to their online life thereby making a vacation possible. Or being able to stay in contact with family at home. Or 100 other reasons. Making it cost efficient is great for their needs and MY needs. Fortunately one is not forced to buy an internet package if they don't need it or want it. And if you are the parent of a teen you would prefer to cut the cord for a week you can speak with your wallet. But because you find it a waste does not mean others are not happy with the decrease in cost and ease of use.

I don't understand your need to have internet only when you are at home. Or working. Do you only read email during the week.? Only look something up on google on Mondays?

Some people need access to their online life thereby making a vacation possible. Or being able to stay in contact with family at home. Or 100 other reasons. Making it cost efficient is great for their needs and MY needs. Fortunately one is not forced to buy an internet package if they don't need it or want it. And if you are the parent of a teen you would prefer to cut the cord for a week you can speak with your wallet. But because you find it a waste does not mean others are not happy with the decrease in cost and ease of use.

Read post 4, then post 13, then mine and then you can laugh. To help ease your frustration, I always buy an internet package because I have to keep tabs with work while I'm on vacation.

Thanks for posting this article. It is exciting if the prices are true and smart business for Royal Caribbean. If they can offer high-speed internet for 10-15 dollars per day, they will potentially gain a larger piece of the market.

People love their devices and I can see how high prices and a lack of access would be a deterrent. Some people aren't going to get on a ship if you offer iffy internet or if it's crazy expensive. I'm not one of those people, I think I week without internet would be cool. We are a family who is attached to our electronics. I think it would be fun if we had to go without. :D

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. I don't need internet because I'm on vacation. All that this is going to lead to is a bunch of teenagers walking around like zombies with their faces down on their devices. :D

I know you are kidding, so don't take this as an attack.

As long as they don't run into me and are quiet, I am good with that.

I like to be able to contact family and do business without telling the world that I am on vacation and my house is empty.

You beat me to it!

Unfortunately, I own a business at home and have to keep up daily with the goings on. The internet is crucial to stay in touch.

Also, I like to email my parents and see how they are, share pics, etc.

Checking my email actually makes me feel more calm and less stressed because I know what is going on.

Read post 4, then post 13, then mine and then you can laugh. To help ease your frustration, I always buy an internet package because I have to keep tabs with work while I'm on vacation.

:D:D:D:D

Unfortunately reading on Tapatalk does not always allow for ease of flow of a thread. I definitely missed post no. 4. Ha ha.... but I see that I was not the only one to take you at your word.

Glad you can appreciate the need for some to keep in touch.

Yes Ken! My thoughts exactly! Put the phone away for a week. You can live with out it for a while. It will be there when you get home!

JoeRum