land portion help needed

themnms

Hello all

We will be visiting Australia at the end of the year. I want to through a couple of ideas out for our land portion so that I can narrow it how!! I just want to go everywhere!!

Thought 1..

fly in cairns 3/4 days

fly to Adelaide stay 2 days then 4 days Kangaroo island

then fly to Sydney for New Years and staying 7 nights ( have booked apartment) then cruise..

or

fly to cairns 3/4 days

then fly to Tasmania for about 6 days

then Sydney..

we love wildlife if this helps with thoughts on our schedule. Also we will be in either Tasmania or Kangaroo Island for xmas and boxing day. Hopefully we will be able to find a place for dinner etc?

Thanks for the input!

Mel

Hello all

We will be visiting Australia at the end of the year. I want to through a couple of ideas out for our land portion so that I can narrow it how!! I just want to go everywhere!!

Thought 1..

fly in cairns 3/4 days

fly to Adelaide stay 2 days then 4 days Kangaroo island

then fly to Sydney for New Years and staying 7 nights ( have booked apartment) then cruise..

or

fly to cairns 3/4 days

then fly to Tasmania for about 6 days

then Sydney..

we love wildlife if this helps with thoughts on our schedule. Also we will be in either Tasmania or Kangaroo Island for xmas and boxing day. Hopefully we will be able to find a place for dinner etc?

Thanks for the input!

Mel

I'd do the 2nd option.

Adelaide and KI are nice but Tasmania is in my opinion nicer and has plenty of wildlife parks. Also 'd suggest you'll get a much wider range for Christmas in Tas than KI.

Edited by GUT2407

I would vote for Tasmania in preference to Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. :)

You will be able to see wildlife at both, but different animals. In Tasmania count on seeing wombats and Tasmania devils. You would see seals if you go on a boat trip at Bruny Island. At KI you would see NZ fur seals, sea lions, kangaroos and koalas. On the wildlife aspect, KI probably wins.

The scenery is more spectacular in Tasmania compared with Adelaide/KI and there is more of historical interest.:)

We live in Adelaide ,South Australia and admit if the choice was between KI and Tasmania Iwould choose Tasmania for what you want to do

South Australia has a lot of attractions and wildlife with great outback locations such as Coober Pedy (opals) Port Lincoln (great white shark and seal viewing)

And many great wineries

Tasmania has the advantage of being a compact Island State of Australia with many attractions easily accessible

I should be promoting my own State but I am realistic and your needs would be met easier in Tasmania

What ever you decide for your trip "Down Under" you will not be disappointed

As for Xmas celebrations, most of the major hotels provide a good Xmas dinner

Have a good trip

John

I recommend the Tasmania option, at that time of year.

I have just returned from three weeks in Tasmania and I can't wait to return. Spectacular scenery, wildlife, historic old convict built buildings and bridges, delicious farm fresh food from Farmer's Markets and farm gates, great restaurants and friendly locals.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

Just to add.....Cairns in December is like Miami in the middle of summer.

It will be very hot and very humid and probably very wet.

If that's what you want...great!

If it's not....then a quick trip to the reef and then high tail it south to Tasmania.

New Year in Sydney should be exciting....

The Tasmania choice seems good. You will need transport and there is a lot to see in Tasmania and may be better having a car.

Cairns is very small and the less time there the better depending on what you are doing. You will not need days there. You could easily tour Cairns/Kuranda in one day and maybe spend a second day doing something on the reef if that is your idea of enjoyment. Any more days spent in Cairns would just be wasting valuable time that could be better utilised elsewhere. Kuranda Rainforest and scenic rail is the best option for Cairns and given it is daylight saving spend the afternoon in the city. You will honestly not need any more time in Cairns.

The city of Adelaide can again be done in one day. Unless of course you want to head out to the Adelaide Hills and see places like Harndorf.

The length of time in Sydney gives you flexibility to tour the Blue Mountains, walk around the harbour parks and city sights.

Tasmania you have about right.

No daylight saving in Queensland. We keep 'real' time. :):)

I thought once Jo dies you might get daylight saving up North as I was always told the only reason you didn't have it was because he refused to get up an hour early for anyone, met him once, during Jo for PM days.

I thought once Jo dies you might get daylight saving up North as I was always told the only reason you didn't have it was because he refused to get up an hour early for anyone, met him once, during Jo for PM days.

No. The subject has been re-visited a couple of times since Joh, but most Queenslanders don't want daylight saving. The exceptions would be some people in SE Queensland who find the time difference with NSW a bit of a problem.

Western parts of Queensland would have a major problem with daylight saving. For example, Mt Isa's longitude is 139 degrees. Our time meridian is 150 degrees, so effectively Mt Isa has 42 minutes of daylight saving time all year. Add in the problem of heat in the afternoon with the sun high in the sky, particularly in the northern part of the state, and you will see why most Queenslanders don't want daylight saving time.

No. The subject has been re-visited a couple of times since Joh, but most Queenslanders don't want daylight saving. The exceptions would be some people in SE Queensland who find the time difference with NSW a bit of a problem.

Western parts of Queensland would have a major problem with daylight saving. For example, Mt Isa's longitude is 139 degrees. Our time meridian is 150 degrees, so effectively Mt Isa has 42 minutes of daylight saving time all year. Add in the problem of heat in the afternoon with the sun high in the sky, particularly in the northern part of the state, and you will see why most Queenslanders don't want daylight saving time.

G'dat AT

I know, I was just pulling your leg, love Isa, my dad was born in Qld [bowen actually] his grandad was one of the first settlers in Cooktown.

North Queensland would be mad to adopt DST but I do see the problem for those who cross the border a lot must be a real pain in the "you know where" for them.

They now impose it for 6 months here and that is far far too long in my opinion.

No daylight saving in Queensland.

We keep 'real' time. :):)

Exactly... One hour and twenty years behind the rest of Australia!

Now, if they would only ban en masse the continual banjo recitals from the hillbilly redneck state of confuzzlement we would all be better off down-under! :eek:

That reminds me of a joke...

Once upon a time in the kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for six days.

Eventually, Michael the archangel found him on the seventh day resting.

He enquired of God, “where have you been boss?”

God pointed downwards through the clouds.

“Look Michael, look what I've created,” said God.

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, “what in heavens name is it?”

“It's a planet,” replied God, “and I've put lots of life upon it.

I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a great place of incredible balance.”

“Balance?” inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing down to different parts of the Earth's surface,

“For example, North America will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while South America is going to be divided and poorer;

the Middle East over there will be a hot spot and Russia will be a cold spot.”

“Over here I've placed a continent for European people and across there I've placed a continent for African people, as well as room for billions of Asians, to balance room for billions of Indians.”

God continued pointing out all the individual countries differences: “This one will be extremely hot and arid and this one will be very cold and covered in ice.”

The archangel, impressed by God's handiwork, then pointed to another large Island continent below the Equator and asked, “What's that brilliant place down there then?”

“Ah now”, said God. “That's New South Wales the jewel of that continent, the most glorious place on all the Earth.

It will be home to beautiful people, magnificent beaches, a great harbour, impressive towns, towering buildings, iconic bridges, the southern hemisphere's most famous Opera House; it will be the home of some of the world's finest artists, musicians, writers, thinkers, explorers, sportsmen and sportswomen.

The people from New South Wales are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous and they're going to be always found travelling the entire World spreading glorious good will to all humankind.

They'll be extremely sociable, hard working and high achieving, they will be known throughout this blue planet as speakers of nothing but truth.”

Michael gasped in wonder, amazement and admiration but then proclaimed, “ but what about Balance on this area of the planet, where is the incredible balance you spoke of here God? - You said there will be BALANCE!”

God replied "Never doubt my word!", then pointed his finger towards an area in the North Eastern part of the continent of Australia and replied,

“Just you wait until you see all the wankers, liars, cheats and thieves I'm putting in Queensland!"

:D

Cheers ;)

:cool:

thank you all for your great input! I was outvoted and we will be heading to KI...I have been promised Tasmania and Melbourne on our NEXT visit!!

I've got no doubt you will enjoy Kangaroo Island and hey now you've got an excuse to get back down under, most of my O/S friends find it a bit like cruising ... addictive, and it's such a big joint with so much to see they just seem to keep coming back.