Are the complaints I am reading truly justified?

KKMurphy2

There is no such thing as a perfect cruise . . . but some come close! It's still a great way to travel.

All of my cruises have been perfect! I don't have to cook or clean and I get to relax and enjoy being away from reality. Get a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast and that's the icing on the cake

All of my cruises have been perfect! I don't have to cook or clean and I get to relax and enjoy being away from reality. Get a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast and that's the icing on the cake

I am much more interested in reading complaints than statements like yours. As cruising (and travel in general) is never as bad as some people experience and complain about, cruising is never perfect either. If you are dealing with humans and corporations filled with humans, by definition your dealings can't be perfect because no human is perfect. My DW disagrees with me on this point of view as she insists that she is perfect.;)

Someone's 'perfect' is another person's 'just OK'. And a person's 'worst ever' is another person's 'just OK' also.

In the old fable Chicken Little thought the sky was falling because an acorn fell on it's head. Obviously the sky wasn't falling but if you have reports from lots of Chicken Littles, the sky still isn't falling, but you might want to put a helmet on.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

I am much more interested in reading complaints than statements like yours. As cruising (and travel in general) is never as bad as some people experience and complain about, cruising is never perfect either. If you are dealing with humans and corporations filled with humans, by definition your dealings can't be perfect because no human is perfect. My DW disagrees with me on this point of view as she insists that she is perfect.;)

Someone's 'perfect' is another person's 'just OK'. And a person's 'worst ever' is another person's 'just OK' also.

In the old fable Chicken Little thought the sky was falling because an acorn fell on it's head. Obviously the sky wasn't falling but if you have reports from lots of Chicken Littles, the sky still isn't falling, but you might want to put a helmet on.;)

We obviously don't have the same experience on board so like you said my perfect can be ok to someone else. My expectations are to pretty basic needs that I want met and every cruise that I have been on has been perfect to ME. I don't expect red carpet treatment just food, place to stay and a little entertainment.

Wow! I have been on these boards for a long time reading and learning. The complaints are unbelievable! Is it a glimpse at our entitlement society? What is going on? I enjoy the honest reviews of pros and cons, because I learn so much from them. But the overall mentality of everything stinks, is a bit over the top. Perhaps an all inclusive luxury resort would be better for you. Or perhaps a luxury cruise line would be better for you.

We were on the Adventure in December with 2 of our closest friends. We enjoyed the Windjammer and no one went hungry. In fact, I thought the food was fresh and just fine for a buffet. I also went on the Reflection in November and the food in their buffet was very good. If the food was as poor as everyone says, then why are people still gaining weight on cruiseships?

I am a capitalist. I believe that money talks. If you do not like the product, do not spend the money on it. If you prefer another cruise line based on any number of reasons, then use them. If you have a legitimate complaint, take it to customer service. But I am sick and tired of seeing people go over the top with complaints on the ship and act like fools about the dumbest things. How do you manage to treat others so disrespectfully and sleep well at night? As I am reading all the complaints, I feel that these are the people who have the most cruises booked in the future.

I do feel that the marketing department at RCCL is off base a bit with all of their "sales" and gimmicks, and I have written a respectful letter to them. They are depending on the public being dumb enough to fall for this tactic and think they are getting a good deal. But have you seen any of news shows take to the streets and ask simple questions about current events and how truly ignorant the average citizen is? Since they continue these pricing tactics, RCCL must have the data by now and they must be working. I have never received a response to my email. But guess what? I have 2 more cruises booked with RCCL and I am using my money to speak my opinion. I still like their product and I am willing to pay the going rate for it. I am smart enough to realize that if sales start to fall, they will find another gimmick. Think of JC Penney during the last few tumultuous years and their marketing strategies of no sales and how it plummeted their performance.

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion.

Aren't other people allowed to voice their opinions as well? This is cruiseCRITIC after all.

Being Happy doesn't mean everything is perfect, it means you have decided to see beyond the imperfections 😉.

That being said, your vacation will be what you make it to be. I myself enjoy reading the different opinions of others travels. Just helps me to be informed of some things before we go. I will always reserve my opinion until I board the ship for myself. Diversity is the flavor of life people. 👣

It seems to me that these forums have instead of information become a place of attack and defend, not in fact a civil exchange of information.

Yes, I have to agree. In fact these forums are the reason I've decided to never retire. I don't want to turn into some of these posters who do nothing else all day except watching the forums waiting for an opportunity to be uncivil. There are a lot and many who take pride in their clever attacks.

I don't mind the negative opinions of a ship or port experience because I'm looking for a consensus to make a decision. Believe it or not, negative opinions of a cruise experience is a positive contribution to a discussion because it gives the readers some details to make a choice. But many, if not most, of the posters here anymore make their replies personal. Just like the one poster who gave a pretty good reply until her last sentence where she suggested everyone who complains is a whiner. Sadly, she just couldn't resist a little jab.

Is anyone capable of writing a reply without getting personal.

Beary

Rodolfo Costa

“Criticism is just someone else’s opinion. Even people who are experts in their fields are sometimes wrong. It is up to you to choose whether to believe some of it, none of it, or all of it. What you think is what counts.”

― Rodolfo Costa, Advice My Parents Gave Me: and Other Lessons I Learned :cool:

I don't have to "justify" my opinions to anybody. They are my opinions and you can take them with a grain of salt, or not at all. I don't think a person should belittle another person, or label a person as a complainer because their opinion doesn't jive with yours. Just ignore it and move on.

Wow! I have been on these boards for a long time reading and learning. The complaints are unbelievable! Is it a glimpse at our entitlement society? What is going on? I enjoy the honest reviews of pros and cons, because I learn so much from them. But the overall mentality of everything stinks, is a bit over the top. Perhaps an all inclusive luxury resort would be better for you. Or perhaps a luxury cruise line would be better for you.

We were on the Adventure in December with 2 of our closest friends. We enjoyed the Windjammer and no one went hungry. In fact, I thought the food was fresh and just fine for a buffet. I also went on the Reflection in November and the food in their buffet was very good. If the food was as poor as everyone says, then why are people still gaining weight on cruiseships?

I am a capitalist. I believe that money talks. If you do not like the product, do not spend the money on it. If you prefer another cruise line based on any number of reasons, then use them. If you have a legitimate complaint, take it to customer service. But I am sick and tired of seeing people go over the top with complaints on the ship and act like fools about the dumbest things. How do you manage to treat others so disrespectfully and sleep well at night? As I am reading all the complaints, I feel that these are the people who have the most cruises booked in the future.

I do feel that the marketing department at RCCL is off base a bit with all of their "sales" and gimmicks, and I have written a respectful letter to them. They are depending on the public being dumb enough to fall for this tactic and think they are getting a good deal. But have you seen any of news shows take to the streets and ask simple questions about current events and how truly ignorant the average citizen is? Since they continue these pricing tactics, RCCL must have the data by now and they must be working. I have never received a response to my email. But guess what? I have 2 more cruises booked with RCCL and I am using my money to speak my opinion. I still like their product and I am willing to pay the going rate for it. I am smart enough to realize that if sales start to fall, they will find another gimmick. Think of JC Penney during the last few tumultuous years and their marketing strategies of no sales and how it plummeted their performance.

So what is your question exactly, or did you just want to rant and rave putting people down which I find more disrespectful then those who have a complaint.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion even when it doesn't conform with yours.

You are sick of everyone complaining and you rant about how OTHER people are so stupid and complain all the time and yet.....drum roll please....all you are doing is complaining!!!!

One last point - Rust on the ship. It's 15 years old (AoS), sailing in Salt water. You don't think it's gonna show some rust? I always saw gentlmen wandering aorund with a can of paint touching up things... it's STEEL!!!

Vijay

Markham, Ontario

You never know. I would just HATE to be seen in a "junker." First, it might not look like I can "keep up with the Jones." (on other ships.) Second, the Coast Guard might be "profiling" and pull us over for something as simple as a burned out tail light. If there are rust spots, it must be time to throw it away and buy a new one. :cool: LOL

I just returned this morning from a 7 day cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. The food was awesome. Absolutely delicious. We ate dinner in the MDR every day except one, when we feasted on the Seafood Extravaganza in the Windjammer Marketplace. I don't think I can eat for another week because there was so much good food everywhere. The decisions on what to order in the MDR was the toughest part of the week because there were so many good selections. Anyone who ate hamburgers in the Windjammer all week then complained about the food doesn't know what good food is. Although I will say, I had a hamburger from the buffet in the Windjammer and it was quite good. I must have gotten mine just as they brought them out to the buffet table because it was hot and quite moist. So, as they say, to each his own.

I read somewhere that the happiest people are those who do not set high expectations. We set our expectations very low on cruises and we have enjoyed each and everyone of them -- even our American flagged & crewed NCL Pride of Aloha cruise in Hawaii. We are not gourmands and we don't drink alcoholic beverages, so it's pretty easy for us to find satisfaction on any cruise ship.

It must be tough for people who have sailed on some of the upscale ships from Regent Seven Seas and the like who are now 'slumming' on mass market lines like RCI, CCL, Princess & NCL.

The chronic complainers should step it up to Celebrity & the like to see if their higher expectations will be met. If not, there's Regent Seven Seas.