Is Carnival really that bad?

spankym13

We are taking our FIRST Carnival cruise in oct on the Glory. We were super excited to try a new line as we have only been on NCL. But seems all i read on the FB page and other review sites is negative feedback!! Is carnival really become that bad? It cost us alot in airfare to make these trips from Colorado and im kinda worried now...[emoji27]

If you like NCL you'll like Carnival. They're not that different with each one a bit better than the other in some areas. I think NCL has better shows in the main theater but Carnival has the comedy club. I like the buffet on NCL but Carnival has better desserts. You'll have a good time so don't worry.

I wouldn't have 4 cruises booked this year if it was half as bad as some of the negative comments and reviews out there. I have seen plenty negatives for other cruise lines as well. The Dre as well as most of the other cruisers on CCL are the best. We have made great friends with people we have met on a Carnival ship.

People are more inclined to post complaints than they are to sing praises... I've booked one Carnival cruise this year and looking to book a second one soon. I always approach each cruise with a clean slate. Haven't had a bad experience yet. Don't be worried. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Prior to our first cruise in 2006, we had been blessed to have many wonderful vacations together as a couple. On the Elation, I broke my elbow slipping on a sports deck close to the pool.

It was still one of the very best vacations I had ever had.

Since then we have gone Carnival twice more, and each time had fun. They have made changes, but have also brought in tasty burgers, new fun pubs, and made it more inviting for multi-generational families.

No Carnival is not that bad. Off strip Vegas is that bad, wandering off the Quarter in NOLA is that bad. Carnival is a blast. Stop worrying, and enjoy your hard earned time off.

Edited by Cruiseathoning

We have 30 some cruises so far, and 18 of them have been with Carnival. It helps that they have two ships based in Tampa, where we live. But that is not the only reason we choose Carnival. It is very relaxed, family friendly, and suits our budget. In two weeks, we are going on our third family cruise. One of our daughters likes Carnival so much she got married on the Paradise then honeymooned on the Legend.

For value, you can't beat Carnival, and we have tried Celebrity (loved the food, but found the ship somewhat boring), HAL (again, great food, but too old for us and we are grandparents), and Royal. Royal and Carnival remain our top choices.

My prediction is you will love it. We have sailed the Glory and it is a very nice ship.

I'm glad you asked this question. I was just telling my husband today that I was kind of depressed with all the negativity on Cruise Critic here on the Carnival board. If there are any new cruisers reading, they will think Carnival is a sub-par vacation. My husband and I are going on our 19th cruise in a couple months - all with Carnival - and we haven't been disappointed yet. We started cruising in 1993 and even with all the changes since that time, we think Carnival delivers a great product. We have sailed on 12 different ships and we have enjoyed them all. Yes, there can be little problems here and there because nothing is perfect! Anyway, to the original poster - go and enjoy your cruise. I bet you will become a repeat cruiser, just like the rest of us.

Take all the bad reviews you read about Carnival with a grain of salt. Some people are impossible to please and like to complain about everything. I went on a Disney cruise last year with expectations that it would far exceed my Carnival experience, and I couldn't be more wrong. Carnival has the best service and the best food. No pretension...you can really just let loose and have as much fun as you let yourself have.

When I see Disney folks calling Carnival the "walmart" of cruising I just shake my head as most of those that say that haven't even been on one.

Have fun, you will love it!

I have not read all your postings that you received, but this is MY opinion.

I see you did NCL, and we did the same on the Star, a brand new ship years ago. To say the least, we will NEVER go back (there were so many that felt the same way) to NCL, unless we would get it FREE, and I doubt that.

As for Carnival, I have done it many times in my 25 years of cruising. I will say some people will "nit pick" ,and that may have been some of the reviews that you read. As someone had mentioned earlier, you get what you pay for. If you expect GOLD, but pay in silver, well........

Thats a shame that you feel so negatively about a cruiseline that you haven't sailed with in almost 15 years.

NCL was bottom of the barrel for us too but we also based it on a cruise way back when.

When Kevin Sheehan took over as CEO things changed dramatically. We have taken 3 NCL cruises in the last 4 years with another scheduled for next year.

It is a really good product these days and the entertainment is a lot better than Carnivals 2.0

Bill

I just read a very good review written by Jim Zimmerlin who's screen name is Spaniel lover who also goes by Jimzim. I definitely recommend the review for people like you who wants to know the differences between cruise lines and cruise ships. He makes comparisons between the different Lines. On the one I just read he was comparing CCL with Disney and threw in a lot of RCCL as well. It really makes a difference according to your preference's, for example if you cruise with kids you might like Disney (if you can afford them) or if your into Stage Production type shows or musicals you might pick CCL over RCCL. If you are into food preference's CCL takes the lead. If you like quiet relaxation CCL has adult pools on the aft of some of there ships. CCL has several pools to choose from. My preference is Carnival over all of the others because it's fun and relaxing and has the best food and great ports to see.

Having just cruised for the first time w/Carnival on the Sunshine 2/7/15, I can tell you I won't be back. I have cruised w/RCCL and NCL; prefer RCCL over them all. However, a lot of people did enjoy the cruise but I did not enjoy the atmosphere at all. The wait staff, cabin steward, and ports of call were all great. On this ship, there was nowhere to get away from the noise except the spa (which we enjoyed very much). The "Serenity Decks" were anything but serene.

Every person is different and no cruise line meets everyone's tastes. You will enjoy it if you want (I did even though I won't cruise w/Carnival again) because I was on vacation and on a cruise!!!

Enjoy yourself and decide for yourself.

We are taking our FIRST Carnival cruise in oct on the Glory. We were super excited to try a new line as we have only been on NCL. But seems all i read on the FB page and other review sites is negative feedback!! Is carnival really become that bad? It cost us alot in airfare to make these trips from Colorado and im kinda worried now...[emoji27]

Actually, I find Carnival more enjoyable than NCL. Love the Glory!!

Honestly yes they are that bad !!! For two reasons, 1) It does not last long enough and 2) We always have to get off and go home...In between those two horrible experiences everyday is a day in paradise.. Don't say you have not been warned..

Have fun, enjoy and don't worry ! You're on vacation..:cool:

I don't know anything about the Glory, but I do know about NCL. I primarily sail with NCL and have for years. I took my first Carnival cruise on the Dream in 2013 and LOVED it. They are more similar than different IMO. Now, I do think that it would depend on what you are looking for. We went on the Dream because it had all the bangs for you buck (like the water park and it was a bigger ship) so I feel that definitely made a difference for us on the first try. But we LOVED it. Seriously...

I did a review on the Dream (located in my signature line) that along the review (which is VERY long mind you) I give comparisons and thoughts along the way comparing the 2 lines.

I just have to say this...had I listened to everyone (both online, in this community, friends, co-workers and so on) that told me how bad Carnival was, I would have never had the great experience we did. I'm a leader, not a follower and I will form my own opinions, but like to hear others. I prep myself for the worse and then I get the best. I take reviews with a grain of salt and I live life to the fullest. I mean I can't imagine ANY cruise being worse than being at home or work. :D

As you can see in my countdown clock in my signature, we are booked once again on Carnival and will going on the Pride. Yes, it is an older ship but yes, it also has all the 2.0 upgrades (which include the waterpark, Guys Burgers, Iguana Cantina and so on). So, I have to say I'm pretty darn excited for another change (including new ports that NCL isn't offering). I'm super excited to get back to Carnival once again. :D

Honestly yes they are that bad !!! For two reasons, 1) It does not last long enough and 2) We always have to get off and go home...In between those two horrible experiences everyday is a day in paradise.. Don't say you have not been warned..

Have fun, enjoy and don't worry ! You're on vacation..:cool:

Ditto! We are gold on Carnival and have loved every ship we have been on for their own uniqueness ! Planning now an Aug cruise on Glory! Can't wait!

No. We had not sailed on Carnival in a while when we booked the Conquest for a 6 day earlier this month. We had a WONDERFUL time. If you go expecting a high end luxury cruise, I'd say you will be disappointed. If you go expecting good food (do the steak house), excellent drinks, nice ports, and hopefully you meet new friends... you will have a great time.

I think a lot of the people who bash Carnival and cruising in general have never actually sailed on the line, so keep that in mind. We're booked for cruise #6 and looking forward to it. I will say that I feel like we're "outgrowing" Carnival, but that's okay. We have not had a bad cruise, we're just maturing and our interests are changing :)

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

Also from Colorado here. Upcoming cruise isn't on Carnival this time. Haven't been on a cruise in about 8 years, but last cruise was on Carnival Legend. Upcoming cruise is on RCI, but we just wanted to try something different, but wouldn't hesitate to book Carnival again. We always had a great time on our Carnival cruises. Like others have said, just set realistic expectations and don't expect perfection. As of the last time I sailed Carny, the food was not 5 star, but was still very good for lunch and dinner, breakfast was a little iffy sometimes, but I never went hungry. Always got a good night's sleep, never had any problems with sewage backups, water leaks, broken HVAC, always had good room stewards, good bar drinks, etc. Entertainment was hit and miss, but I never had a bad time on any cruise, except for a few incidents on a Princess cruise, but that was not the fault of the cruise line.

We are going on our 5th cruise and no we don't think they are that bad for the money. I'm personally not very picky.

Example. You hear some complaints about the room steward not introducing themselves. I could honestly care less about that.

The food isn't of 5 star quality but you aren't paying 5 star money.

For my family of 3 we usually spend about $4-5k on the cruise. Cruise could be $1500-2500. Gambling $1500-2000. Excursions $600 and drinks $1000.

This cruise on celebrity or rc would be at least 2-4k more.

When I get older and I want I nicer atmosphere I'll pay the extra. Right now I want booze and gambling with family time in between. Haha

Not at all! I love Carnival, and when planning a cruise, I check their site first, and always end up choosing a cruise from them. Thee service is great, so are itineraries and excursions, the ships and cabins are clean, and they live up to their name as a "Fun Ship".

Read my review, there's pictures. Link is in signature. Feel free to ask any questions about Glory, or the ports. This specific cruise was to the Eastern Caribbean, but I've done the Western on her too.

Don't stress it, I can guarantee you'll look bad on your first day on the ship and think "why'd I ever write that thread?" :D

Don't sweat it. We have had a great time on all of our Carnival Cruises....just like we had on our NCL Cruises.