The alcoves

streetpm

My wife and I are thinking of renting one of the Alcoves on an upcoming cruise but have a few questions.

Do the drink package cover drinks bought in the alcove?

Celebrity's website mentions lunches from speciality restaurants does any one know about how much that fee is? And if it is worth it?

For those that have rented one is it would you do it again?

Just a bit of background we enjoy renting cabanas when in Vegas or at the beach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We rented one on reflection, and really enjoyed it. The only negative is that it was too windy to put the top up and we had scant shade, I kept moving around with the sun. Some days they can leave the top up.

The drink package should be valid, we didn't have one on that cruise though so I can't be certain. Our drinks came from the sunset bar and that should be covered.

They served us a really nice cheese and fruit platter. We wound up going to the pool for a dip and bringing back a burger and fries from the mast bar, so I can't help you with the specialty lunch either.

My DW loved it and would definitely do it again, me I'm fifty-fifty. I might or might not. It was nice, but it's pricey. Kind of a nice splurge for a day.

My wife and I are thinking of renting one of the Alcoves on an upcoming cruise but have a few questions.

Celebrity's website mentions lunches from speciality restaurants does any one know about how much that fee is? And if it is worth it?

Just a bit of background we enjoy renting cabanas when in Vegas or at the beach.

Not sure which ship you may be consider, but here is a thread (using the very easy and functional "search" feature) with information that may be helpful. You're welcome.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157269

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

My partner and I rented one on Reflection on our last cruise (14 feb) for the first sea day and we loved it. The conditions were near perfect, not too windy. We didn't order any drinks, however we swapped out the standard bottles of water for San pellegrino which was covered by our drink package. It was an awesome laid back day. I enjoyed the having the canopy up as I'm a soulless ginge and my partner was able to lie out in front of the alcove, soaking up all the UV she could get.

Next time we sail on a ship that has it we'll definitely get it again.

And as aside, I always find it amusing that every forum has that one search feature guy... But I digress

Yes

I don't recall anything about ordering from other restaurants (may have been an option that we just didn't bother with), but I know you can have lunch delivered from The Porch. If I recall correctly, The Porch is $5pp and we did get that while in the alcoves.

Yes. We enjoy them, but they aren't for everybody.

Just understand what you are getting and what you aren't. If you're comparing the alcoves to a full service cabana at, say, Bellagio (fully enclosed, private cabana plus outdoor loungers, TV, pool floats, full room service menu, fridge in cabana etc.) understand that the alcoves are very different. You won't have real privacy, no TV, it's not by the pool, no fridge in the alcove etc. Depending on the wind you may not be able to keep the top up for shade. There is an outlet, and they'll provide an ipad for music but we used our own. You do get 4 bottles of water and a fruit plate, and can order lunch and drinks; however, we found the attendants to be stretched a bit thin and usually just made friends with a server from the Sunset Bar and tipped him to keep checking on us for drinks. (Of course, these are also much less expensive than a Bellagio cabana, LOL)

As mentioned above, we have enjoyed them but they aren't for everybody. For us, having a reserved place to sit and relax outside with (usually) the choice to have sun or shade is worth the money. We can come and go throughout the day and know that our seats will always be there. Our friends know where to find us and can join us, and we can sleep, read, people watch or whatever, while enjoying the breeze and fresh air.

• 4 months later...
I know this thread is somewhat old, but can any of you fine folks comment on how many people can get in one alcove? I know that 4 can go in comfortably, but what about 5 or 6? Thanks!

5/6 would be crowded........last time I was in an Alcove was back

in November on Reflection. 2 of my rollcall mates rented one for the

week and I spent some time up there with them.:) If memory serves,

there are 2 chairs and a Loveseat.......not sure how you would

fit 6 people there.....maybe 5 but it would be tight....maybe someone

who has had one more recently can give you a more updated answer.

Oh, there is also an oval size "coffee table" in there.....forgot about that!

Edited by Lois R

5/6 would be crowded........last time I was in an Alcove was back

in November on Reflection. 2 of my rollcall mates rented one for the

week and I spent some time up there with them.:) If memory serves,

there are 2 chairs and a Loveseat.......not sure how you would

fit 6 people there.....maybe 5 but it would be tight....maybe someone

who has had one more recently can give you a more updated answer.

Oh, there is also an oval size "coffee table" in there.....forgot about that!

Thanks for the info! Yea, I'm thinking of renting one on the San Juan day, as we don't arrive until 3:00 pm, but it is a port day, so the alcove would only be $99. And I think we could have 4 people sitting and then maybe 1 or 2 wouldn't mind standing. Or even sitting on the grass in front of it. Thanks again!

Editor Colleen posted these pictures from the Reflection - there are a ton of Alcove pictures - you'll need to decide if they are big enough for your group. I would think 6 people would be tight, but then I guess it depends on if you are all staying there all day.

http://gallery.cruisecritic.com/ships/celebrity-reflection-621/the-lawn-club-132111/

From some of those photos, it looks like there is also an ottoman in addition to the loveseat and the 2 chairs. So it looks like there may be an additional seat, if someone doesn't mind sitting on an ottoman.