Carnival needs a better photo system, maybe a pass like Disney

NolaZach

After spending over $200 on pictures and tossing many more that we decided not to buy, I wish that Carnival had a photo pass system. I think at even $150 per group it would be so worth it. I really don't need all the 8x10s. They don't give you a choice either. The 8x10s I have I scanned and preinted out 5x7s for our frames. I would much rather the digital copies of my pics.

They could copy Disney and keep them in the cloud, and offer printing on the ship rather than printing out thousands of pictures that will just be tossed away. Thats a lot of ink being wasted.

This idea would provide more sales for them, provide better customer ease of finding images (the current process sucks) and cut down on waste.

I like buying the pictures, but I really think they need a better system.

Also the "gifts" were kinda chinsey. They show you a mug with a picture in it, but when you buy the seven pictures needed for the mug the "free picture" is not one of yours, but a stock picture of the ship. I thought that was crappy.

After spending over $200 on pictures and tossing many more that we decided not to buy, I wish that Carnival had a photo pass system. I think at even $150 per group it would be so worth it. I really don't need all the 8x10s. They don't give you a choice either. The 8x10s I have I scanned and preinted out 5x7s for our frames. I would much rather the digital copies of my pics.

They could copy Disney and keep them in the cloud, and offer printing on the ship rather than printing out thousands of pictures that will just be tossed away. Thats a lot of ink being wasted.

This idea would provide more sales for them, provide better customer ease of finding images (the current process sucks) and cut down on waste.

I like buying the pictures, but I really think they need a better system.

Also the "gifts" were kinda chinsey. They show you a mug with a picture in it, but when you buy the seven pictures needed for the mug the "free picture" is not one of yours, but a stock picture of the ship. I thought that was crappy.

Princess has a similar system. You chose the pictures you want a copy. Then they print what size you want. They won't give you a digital copy of the picture. When you get home , call Princess and they will send a copy of the release to make non-commercial copies of the prints.

I'll just point out that onboard the Disney ships, their photo system is just like most cruise lines - it's a concessionaire, not PhotoPass (like in the parks). You have your picture taken and then go to the photo shop onboard to select either individual pictures or packages for various (costly) prices.

I agree with you. I am by no means a photo sales expert. However, I have always look at the large number of photos being tossed and wonder how it is cost effective. We asked this very question and were told that the paper is washed, but as you pointed out they are still using an awful lot of ink that is still not able to be salvaged.

Personally I would pay a $150 or $300 cost for the digital copies rather then having a single photo in print. I wish there was this digital option.

I loved the system on Royal Caribbean. You just use a tablet, scan your card, the pictures find you and you buy the ones you want and they will print after you order.

Maybe some people like it but I don't want to browse all the pictures on the walls just to find ours. Also, don't they waste resources? Worker hours and paper?

I think they can keep the system they have now but cut the price 50 percent. I would probably buy 2 at that price but will not even buy 1 at the price they ask now.

It reminds me of when movies were first out on vhs. Few people bought them because the cheapest movie was 69 bucks, then ET came out for 20 dollars and everyone and their brother bought it.

So if they sell 100 at 30 each, they could probably sell 500 at 15 dollars each.

I wish they'd let you group the pic together during the cruise. HAL does this. It's nice at the end of the cruise to look thru the pix. One ship used a large box with recycled Manila envelopes. Another used a notebook with plastic multi sheet page holders

I wish they'd let you group the pic together during the cruise. HAL does this. It's nice at the end of the cruise to look thru the pix. One ship used a large box with recycled Manila envelopes. Another used a notebook with plastic multi sheet page holders

On my recent Princess cruise, someone from the photo department advised us to find our first formal night picture and then collect all others behind this one. Any pictures we absolutely did not like, give back to the photo department. Each day we would find any pictures of us and decide if we liked them or not, toss or keep. Towards the last day, I started to weed pictures out.

On Princess, there are no package deals. Formal pictures are $24.99, the other pictures (I believe) were $19.99 or as marked. They also have a thumb drive that you can buy, if you purchase the original for an added price and an additional price they will add on the picture to the thumb drive. (sorry, can't remember the price).

We did ask why they don't have pictures digitally and they said they did try that route. They didn't sell enough pictures. People have a pick it up and touch it mentality. Lot's of cruisers are older and maybe looking at it on an Ipad or computer they didn't get it?

I don't know. I would buy more pictures on any line if they just made it more reasonable. The more I buy, the less per each it should be. For example, this time, I knew that each picture would be $25- so my limit would be 4 pictures (at this price). There were many more that I had to weed out too. This was my 25th Wedding Anniversary after all. Who knows, if it is no special occasion, we would probably only but the embarkation one and maybe one formal one next time. Don't get me started on the waste. I think it is ridiculous all the waste from the pictures!

I think they can keep the system they have now but cut the price 50 percent. I would probably buy 2 at that price but will not even buy 1 at the price they ask now.

It reminds me of when movies were first out on vhs. Few people bought them because the cheapest movie was 69 bucks, then ET came out for 20 dollars and everyone and their brother bought it.

So if they sell 100 at 30 each, they could probably sell 500 at 15 dollars each.

Well said and so very true!

I am a little divided on this lol. The gen x part of me wants it to be easy and digital. Maybe a photo kiosk where you can select what kind of prints you want and have them delivered to your stateroom. On the other hand. It has almost become a part of our cruise tradition to try and spot your photos in the photo gallery. Also to see some of your fellow cruisers funny pics that you will always see.

I agree I wish Carnival had another photo system. On Holland America they have a photo package for $300.00 (in 2012) you could buy all the pictures they take. This is pricey but we left the ship with over a 100 professional quality pictures.

I suspect Carnival use their system because they believe they sell more pictures when people hold and see the pictures up close.

I also wonder if they have a system of recycling the photo prints that are not sold?

Yes, my DH and I say this all the time. Why not go digital, and put it on a kiosk or link our pictures somehow to our folio #or something? All those photos they waste (free paper or not.....it's wasteful).....

I'll be curious what RCCL Enchantment has and even NCL on our upcoming cruises.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone cruised with 4 people in an ocean suite on the Carnival Freedom with the double sofa bed. I am wanting to know if the double sofa bed is like a futon or an actual pull out sofa bed. Have two boys one is 22 and the other 17 and they would not fair well on a futon style.

Edited by beachybusiness519

I would love a photo package for our upcoming Carnival cruise. We got one on our Disney cruise last December ($399 for all pictures in print and digital for a 7 night cruise), and we walked off with over 200 professional pictures. Of course most were from character meet and greets which Carnival doesn't exactly have, but still, I would love a photo package regardless. But for the price they charge per picture, we won't be buying any on Carnival, but will be buying a package on our next Disney cruise for sure.

Carnivals loss I suppose, they'd sell much more if they offered a package or reduced the price.

NCL has the best system IMO. Whenever you take a picture the photographer asks you for your room number. Then you can go to the photo kiosks and view all photos taken by room number so they're all in one spot (on the computer). Then you can buy photo packages and buy X photos for X price and get the digital copies on a USB stick. We were on the Epic and the USB stick was in the shape of a NCL cruise ship, nice touch!