Tipping & Gratuities

Hi All. Have been reading quite a lengthy thread on the main US RCI forum concerning the decision by RCI to increase the automatic gratuity/service charge added to drinks etc from 15% to 18%.

On most drinks the increase is really only a matter of 20c to 70c but seems to have got a few US cruisers in an uproar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2171383

As it is customary on US ships to also tip staff, I was wondering what do most of us aussie cruisers tip over and above this service charge, if at all. For our next cruise we have pre-paid our gratuities due to having My Time Dining but will probably tip something extra to our cabin steward.

We usually tip the cabin stewards, waiter/assistant waiter if we have had the same ones for several nights, the sommelier if we have found them helpful but as a rule do not tip in the bars. We did tip one staff member in Michaels Club on X as she served us nearly every night and we spent a lot of time chatting with her. Others of course will have different arrangements.

Hi All. Have been reading quite a lengthy thread on the main US RCI forum concerning the decision by RCI to increase the automatic gratuity/service charge added to drinks etc from 15% to 18%.

On most drinks the increase is really only a matter of 20c to 70c but seems to have got a few US cruisers in an uproar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2171383

As it is customary on US ships to also tip staff, I was wondering what do most of us aussie cruisers tip over and above this service charge, if at all. For our next cruise we have pre-paid our gratuities due to having My Time Dining but will probably tip something extra to our cabin steward.

We usually tip the wonderful staff they seem to always be able too find, but only because we feel they do more than just the job they are employed to do.

The extra charges the cruise companies charge are just that, extra charges, for paying the crew a reasonable wage, not for the special staff that really make the cruise special and deserve extra.

We always add the extra charges to the upfront fare when comparing with Australian based ships.

Just remember that on the Aus-based ships, the fare effectively includes the gratuities that you would pay on non-Aus-based ships, as Aus-based ships have to pay higher wages under Australian law. So Aus-based ship fare = US-based ship fare + daily gratuities.

The tricky part comes when comparing on-board costs. Again Aus-based ships charge in AUD, and the price you see is what you pay. On US-based ships, like RCI, it's price + 18% + exchange rate. At the moment that works out at US price + 50% :eek:

In seriousness we leave the auto tips in place and then tip those we think worth it extra, usually our steward and waiters, and on our last cruise our sommelier, which might not sound much but as we are non drinkers and had a table for two, so he didn't serve us at all we still slipped him a little extra because he was a fun guy and made our cruise a little bit more special.

Once we didn't tip our steward extra because he was so bad.

Even on cruises without tips say Princess we will normally tip a bit on top.

Just remember that on the Aus-based ships, the fare effectively includes the gratuities that you would pay on non-Aus-based ships, as Aus-based ships have to pay higher wages under Australian law. So Aus-based ship fare = US-based ship fare + daily gratuities.

The tricky part comes when comparing on-board costs. Again Aus-based ships charge in AUD, and the price you see is what you pay. On US-based ships, like RCI, it's price + 18% + exchange rate. At the moment that works out at US price + 50% :eek:

Yep and sometimes the base price in US$ was what I'd expect in AUS$, last cruise UD$3 for a can of coke [i think, but I had a drink package so didn't pay a lot of attention] +18% plus about 25% on exchange rate which is about what I paid on my last Princess cruise in AUS$ [AUS$3].

The only reason there is an uproar is because most sensible and savvy people know that the price increase is never done to benefit the workers but to increase the profit margins of the cruise line. You can bet there is a percentage of management/handling fees in those tips that goes directly to the cruise line before the crew gets the measly leftovers after the cruise line have taken a chunk out.

It is just the way big business is run. Most passengers do not appreciate big companies taking money that way and exploiting the workers.

We always prepay our gratuities and then tip extra to the room steward, bar staff, waiters, or anyone else we feel has gone above and beyond. We also tip the person who delivers room service. :D

As much as I wish the staff were to be paid properly as a wage, on most ships they use the US system and by not paying the gratuity due to principal is only ripping them off and doesn't harm the company at all. :(

When travelling overseas, it is best to adapt to their laws and customs or trouble will ensue, when the ships that come to Australia use the US system, I consider it to be like travelling abroad and therefore follow what is required.

BTW, I don't care what others do in regards to tipping or not, they can do ads they please, only I have to live with my conscience.:D

Agreed, cruising on US currency based ships a lot more expensive due to our fallen/ing AUD.:(

Yep and sometimes the base price in US$ was what I'd expect in AUS$, last cruise UD$3 for a can of coke [i think, but I had a drink package so didn't pay a lot of attention] +18% plus about 25% on exchange rate which is about what I paid on my last Princess cruise in AUS$ [AUS$3].

I've been trying work out a budget for our upcoming Rhapsody cruise. I've looked at a site which claims to have the latest RCI wine list. Much to my horror the prices are considerably higher (in USD) than what we paid (in AUD) on our Sun Princess cruise. On Princess there are a few wines under $30, a reasonable number under $40, ditto under $50, and upwards from there. If that RCI wine list is accurate there will be no wines under $30, a few under $40, and a reasonable number under $50. Add the 18% service charge and exchange rate and US$40 becomes AU$60, US$50 becomes AU$75 etc. :eek: I'll just have to hope that the cheaper wines are drinkable. :(

However the average price of cocktails works out cheaper on RCI. :confused:

I've been trying work out a budget for our upcoming Rhapsody cruise. I've looked at a site which claims to have the latest RCI wine list. Much to my horror the prices are considerably higher (in USD) than what we paid (in AUD) on our Sun Princess cruise. On Princess there are a few wines under $30, a reasonable number under $40, ditto under $50, and upwards from there. If that RCI wine list is accurate there will be no wines under $30, a few under $40, and a reasonable number under $50. Add the 18% service charge and exchange rate and US$40 becomes AU$60, US$50 becomes AU$75 etc. :eek: I'll just have to hope that the cheaper wines are drinkable. :(

Haven't been on RCI yet, and only one on Celebrity but it does seem that they are charging in US$ about what Princess charge in AUS$, or even a bit more, then 18% then the exchange rate I can't figure it out but as we don't drink and I ALWAYS get the soda package so haven't tried to hard.

Perhaps it is worth drinking whatever you want to on the first day and see if it is worth getting a Drinks package, there is a few differing levels so one may suit and make for value.:D

OzKiwiJJ - Bring your two bottles per cabin allowed wine on board. They no longer charge corkage. Then have cocktails the rest of the time.

While I appreciate your concern, there are other ways of looking at the situation. If you are looking at the drink package option, do remember port/shore days. They can make the drink package look less attractive.

Great idea to do research before boarding.

OzKiwiJJ - Bring your two bottles per cabin allowed wine on board. They no longer charge corkage. Then have cocktails the rest of the time.

While I appreciate your concern, there are other ways of looking at the situation. If you are looking at the drink package option, do remember port/shore days. They can make the drink package look less attractive.

Great idea to do research before boarding.

I intend to bring some wine on board. But we do like wine with dinner, cocktails don't always go with food.

Typically we don't drink much during the day. Espresso coffee, water, maybe a glass of wine with lunch. I'm going to try taking a pack of water on board so we have bottles for the port days. Not sure whether we'll get away with it though but I think it's worth trying.

We're not buying a drinks package before we board, will wait to see what's what. We like a cocktail or two before dinner - and we've chosen the late dinner sitting which is later than it was on Princess - so two cocktails are more likely. On the other hand we are less likely to have many after dinner drinks.

I have to admit I was expecting the RCI drink prices to be lower than the Princess Aussie prices since I assumed the Princess prices included the exchange rate from USD to AUD, but it looks like they work out to be dearer.

Danzante Pinot Grigio is US$32 on the September 2014 wine list posted on the Princess board. It was AU$42 on Sun Princess, I think, which was very reasonable. On the RCI wine list it is US$38 so around AU$57 with grats and exchange rate. :(

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Perhaps it is worth drinking whatever you want to on the first day and see if it is worth getting a Drinks package, there is a few differing levels so one may suit and make for value.:D

I'm wondering about just getting one drinks package. DH likes his espresso, I mostly drink tea, sometimes have espresso but it's not a big deal if I don't have it. We enjoy wine with dinner but the drinks packages only offer wines by the glass, with dollar limits, or 20% off bottles. Presumably DH could buy a bottle and share it with me. We'd pay extra for my cocktails, of course. DH enjoys a beer occasionally but, again, I'm not fussed if I don't have one. We'll definitely have to cost it out over the first day or so.

Yep, for the first time we are planning to take our favourite wine.:eek:

2 cabins x 2 bottles.:D

Never worried about the price before, but now it's outrageous.:eek:

Did not have any of our 1:1 USD left:eek: had to bail DH out.:rolleyes:

Yes, it's a shame. One of the things we really enjoyed on Sun Princess was being able to try some very good different wines, from other parts of the world, at very reasonable prices. I suspect this won't be the case on RCI.:(

Oh well, one lives and learns. Mental note = definitely have to take wine prices into account when deciding whether a cruise price is a bargain or not ;)

Danzante Pinot Grigio is US$32 on the September 2014 wine list posted on the Princess board. It was AU$42 on Sun Princess, I think, which was very reasonable. On the RCI wine list it is US$38 so around AU$57 with grats and exchange rate. :(

$5 more for a bottle works out to be around $0.80 per glass (standard serving).

I'm wondering about just getting one drinks package. DH likes his espresso, I mostly drink tea, sometimes have espresso but it's not a big deal if I don't have it. We enjoy wine with dinner but the drinks packages only offer wines by the glass, with dollar limits, or 20% off bottles. Presumably DH could buy a bottle and share it with me. We'd pay extra for my cocktails, of course. DH enjoys a beer occasionally but, again, I'm not fussed if I don't have one. We'll definitely have to cost it out over the first day or so.

I think that is a good plan. By waiting you see if it is worth it and if you only get one package, you can take advantage of the wine offer, which can be shared with you.:D