Power Strip

Just a heads up - my luggage went to the naughty room because I had a power strip. I know Royal does not allow them but from what I've read on here most people get them through. Just wanted to pass that along. I'm on the Brilliance right now, left Tampa yesterday.

IF you know they don't allow it, because of concerns of safety and overloaded circuits, than why even bring it? Rooms have 2 plugs. Use the 110 for the hair dryer or curling iron, and the 240 for your iphone and camera. (adapter plug cost under $5.00).

IF you know they don't allow it, because of concerns of safety and overloaded circuits, than why even bring it? Rooms have 2 plugs. Use the 110 for the hair dryer or curling iron, and the 240 for your iphone and camera. (adapter plug cost under $5.00).

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like it just another one of those things where it depends on who's working security that day. I can understand them not allowing them as far as power use reasons, but most people just want to charge a phone or camera, maybe run a laptop-nothing that uses a lot of power usually.

we did bring a magic bullet one time for making cold boozy drinks though...it was more of a hassle than it was worth in the end. That's why they have drink packages!

You didn't pack it right....if you scatter your power cords, or whatever...among your other stuff, they don't "see" it...

They are just being asses....you certainly can bring extension cords or whatever...

Edited by cb at sea

My wife and I each use CPAP machines to sleep at night. I know we are not alone in this. I don't understand why all the cruise lines refuse to put outlets near the bed so you can plug in night time equipment next to the bed. Before all the flamers jump on me to say that the cruise ship will provide an extension chord - twice I have asked for one. Once, they didn't have one available and the second time, they came in with this 100 foot coil of an extension chord. Since then, I always bring my own chord and (knock on wood) I have never had a problem.

My wife and I each use CPAP machines to sleep at night. I know we are not alone in this. I don't understand why all the cruise lines refuse to put outlets near the bed so you can plug in night time equipment next to the bed. Before all the flamers jump on me to say that the cruise ship will provide an extension chord - twice I have asked for one. Once, they didn't have one available and the second time, they came in with this 100 foot coil of an extension chord. Since then, I always bring my own chord and (knock on wood) I have never had a problem.

Oasis and Allure have outlets near the bed.

Oasis and Allure have outlets near the bed.

Bob, I thought there were plugs near the bed on the Oasis too. We were on the Oasis in a Jr Suite in January, and pulled the end tables out and looked under the bed and could not find plugs. Where are they located?

@kontraxed We've requested an extension cord before, sometimes we get and sometimes not. So, we always carry one in the CPAP case.

Prohibitions on power strips has nothing to do with power usage restrictions. Plug in all you want to, the circuit breaker will pop when you and the other cabins on your circuit reach the design capacity of the wiring in the ship, and it is only an inconvenience to you and your fellow passengers.

I really should compose this and save it to paste in every time a power strip thread comes up, but here it is:

A three way multi-outlet is generally fine for use onboard. The Belkin multi-outlet is a surge suppressor, see the notes about surge suppressors below, but usually gets past security because it doesn't look like a surge suppressor power strip. I'll leave it to your judgement as to whether to use a surge suppressor onboard, after reading the USCG Safety Notice about them.

An extension cord should be of a heavy duty one, not what I call the "lamp cord" thin, flat type. This kind of cord is notorious for being overloaded and causing home fires, so these are frequently taken in security. The heavy duty cords (think outdoor type) are rated for the same current as the ship's outlet, wiring and breaker, and will be fine, even one with multiple plugs.

A power strip that is not a surge protector is generally allowed, though the cruise lines seem to be tending towards rejecting all power strips from a standpoint that security can't tell the difference. Power strips that use the language of "XXX joules of protection" are surge suppressors, and should not be used.

Here is the USCG Safety Notice on using surge suppressors onboard ships. I will leave it to you as to whether you want to bring one onboard despite the rules and warnings, but as one who has to fight shipboard fires, I would advise against it, since there are alternatives. This is one area that I would request that you not disregard the rules and "slip" your stuff past security because it is your vacation and you know better:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

We will be on the Allure next May. My Daughter uses Noc-turnal Ventilator, a portable suction, & portable oxygen concentrator. The extra plug and cord will be packed in with her medical equipment, so hoping there is no issue. She is traveling with "Dialysis at Sea" and I have not seen any recent posts regarding traveling like this, so will be posting about our experiences as they happen. Any one else have to travel with alot of medical equipment, would love to hear from you. Haven't noticed any posts regarding this on the disabled travel board either.

Bob, I thought there were plugs near the bed on the Oasis too. We were on the Oasis in a Jr Suite in January, and pulled the end tables out and looked under the bed and could not find plugs. Where are they located?

@kontraxed We've requested an extension cord before, sometimes we get and sometimes not. So, we always carry one in the CPAP case.

I don't know the outlet location in a JS. In a D balcony, there is one behind the bed.

Prohibitions on power strips has nothing to do with power usage restrictions. Plug in all you want to, the circuit breaker will pop when you and the other cabins on your circuit reach the design capacity of the wiring in the ship, and it is only an inconvenience to you and your fellow passengers.

I really should compose this and save it to paste in every time a power strip thread comes up, but here it is:

A three way multi-outlet is generally fine for use onboard. The Belkin multi-outlet is a surge suppressor, see the notes about surge suppressors below, but usually gets past security because it doesn't look like a surge suppressor power strip. I'll leave it to your judgement as to whether to use a surge suppressor onboard, after reading the USCG Safety Notice about them.

An extension cord should be of a heavy duty one, not what I call the "lamp cord" thin, flat type. This kind of cord is notorious for being overloaded and causing home fires, so these are frequently taken in security. The heavy duty cords (think outdoor type) are rated for the same current as the ship's outlet, wiring and breaker, and will be fine, even one with multiple plugs.

A power strip that is not a surge protector is generally allowed, though the cruise lines seem to be tending towards rejecting all power strips from a standpoint that security can't tell the difference. Power strips that use the language of "XXX joules of protection" are surge suppressors, and should not be used.

Here is the USCG Safety Notice on using surge suppressors onboard ships. I will leave it to you as to whether you want to bring one onboard despite the rules and warnings, but as one who has to fight shipboard fires, I would advise against it, since there are alternatives. This is one area that I would request that you not disregard the rules and "slip" your stuff past security because it is your vacation and you know better:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

Great post-- good to know-- Thanks

Edited by Hotel CA