Rise in Tips ?

Josy1953

"Stiffers"

I tried to find the meaning of the word in the dictionary. I presumed you were American but I know I am wrong as your address says different. Why are you using this word? I know what you are meaning by it but if I am right it is not a nice thing to call people.

I have always thought the P&O service charge is tolerable compared to the US ships, and Cunard, and I don`t remove it. I was tempted on our last cruise, purely because of the terrible service from one wine waiter, only one, and the total disregard to our complaint by the reception staff, but felt it would not be fair to the other staff who were giving us good service.

Don`t be so quick to judge people when you don`t know the circumstance.

Sadly, one is not quick to judge. However, as you aver to having a comprehension of the intended meaning, may one ask what word do you deem suitable, and nice, to replace "stiffers"?

The replacement word is to truly reflect the nature of the person who makes a conscious decision to deliberately remove all Gratuities at 23.00 hours on the final evening of the cruise.

Sadly, one is not quick to judge. However, as you aver to having a comprehension of the intended meaning, may one ask what word do you deem suitable, and nice, to replace "stiffers"?

The replacement word is to truly reflect the nature of the person who makes a conscious decision to deliberately remove all Gratuities at 23.00 hours on the final evening of the cruise.

The gratuity is voluntary not obligatory.

What difference does the timing of the removal of the auto-gratuity matter?

The gratuity is voluntary not obligatory.

What difference does the timing of the removal of the auto-gratuity matter?

The acceptable replacement of the word "stiffers" is being discussed only.

The timing of a deliberate removal of gratuties is a totally different issue, and should not be combined with the matter in hand.

Up until last year we always removed the auto-grat and tipped with an envelope. We had lots of OBC last year so left the auto-grat on to use it up. Whether someone wishes to remove the auto tip with an envelope is up to them, doesn't mean they are not intending to tip, although I am sure there are some that don't. Problem now is that even when you leave the tips on, people on the last night are also giving envelopes, so now it is becoming obvious that you have to do both! It's embarrassing when the rest of the table give an envelope and you don't because you have auto-tipped.

I know of a suitable word to describe you but can't put it on here.

Up until last year we always removed the auto-grat and tipped with an envelope. We had lots of OBC last year so left the auto-grat on to use it up. Whether someone wishes to remove the auto tip with an envelope is up to them, doesn't mean they are not intending to tip, although I am sure there are some that don't. Problem now is that even when you leave the tips on, people on the last night are also giving envelopes, so now it is becoming obvious that you have to do both! It's embarrassing when the rest of the table give an envelope and you don't because you have auto-tipped.

When cruising we usually pay gratuties in the region of $15.00 per day (RCI & Celebrity), then an additional envelope for excellent service.

This value is our personal gratutities basis for all cruises.

Therefore, there is never a reduction in our spending on gratutities, only an increase in the various values contained inside the envelopes, being to the benefit of our direct contact staff.

Our model could actually be one of the many reasons for "envelopes" being presented by others, as you noted.

When cruising we usually pay gratuties in the region of $15.00 per day (RCI & Celebrity), then an additional envelope for excellent service.

This value is our personal gratutities basis for all cruises.

Therefore, there is never a reduction in our spending on gratutities, only an increase in the various values contained inside the envelopes, being to the benefit of our direct contact staff.

Our model could actually be one of the many reasons for "envelopes" being presented by others, as you noted.

I always leave the auto tips on however always give extra to some staff and know what Jean means when she says about being embarrassed about not giving an envelope even though you have already paid them. People can put up the amount they pay rather than give an envelope all you have to do is inform reception. Since the auto tips I feel I have to do both!

There isn't one because you are only seeking a derogative term for someone doing something that they are perfectly entitled to do.

With respect, one's question was, and one quotes, "what word do you deem acceptable, and nice". There was no seeking of a "derogative term" within the question, which you incorrectly alleged.

Apologises if ones sentence was not lucid.

With respect, one's question was, and one quotes, "what word do you deem acceptable, and nice". There was no seeking of a "derogative term" within the question, which you incorrectly alleged.

Apologises if ones sentence was not lucid.

Yes you did but the second half of your post clearly portrayed your feelings a those who would remove the auto-gratuity.

Yes, I think those who use these derogatory terms tend to forget that a "tip" is something given voluntarily and by choice for good service, not something foisted upon you by a company who pays low wages! A service charge on the other hand is something "charged" and therefore not voluntary. That's why I think it should be part of the cruise price and "tips" no longer required, but back to being given voluntarily if you want to.

Yes you did but the second half of your post clearly portrayed your feelings a those who would remove the auto-gratuity.

Sorry, incorrect statement. The final paragraph gave a clarification to the previous paragraph. To ensure the new word did reflect one deemed acceptable and nice.

Problem now is that even when you leave the tips on, people on the last night are also giving envelopes, so now it is becoming obvious that you have to do both! It's embarrassing when the rest of the table give an envelope and you don't because you have auto-tipped.

Since the auto tips I feel I have to do both!

I leave the auto tips on and I do not feel I have to give additional money in envelopes ,even though all around me do.

I think the majority of people would rather have the price go up ,and a note saying grats included, rather than all this playing around.

I was always lead to believe that what you write in the questionnaire is actually of more importance and has a bearing on whether or not someone continues.

I am always more than happy to do all my comments on there, rather than waft around like lady bountiful handing out envelopes.

When they first brought in auto grats I said it was the slippery slope as people would feel that have to do both-as witnessed by the 2 people at the top of my post.

You do NOT have to do both. Leave the auto tips on ,and people get the money.

Rest assured I could be on a table for 10 and even if every one else felt they had to, at the end of my meal I would say thank you and leave.

Yeah, the biggest issue I have with this whole concept is the implied obligation, particularly the double tipping. A tip in my mind should be an additional thank you for exemplory service. If I go to a restaurant and get a fanstastic meal and service, I tip accordingly. If it's mediocre, rushed, and without that personal touch, I just pay the bill. I should be free to do the same here, and certainly not have staff "hovering around" waiting for their envelope when you have already been billed for one set of tips as part of their basic wage.

I'll not be taking any envelopes aboard. I would have tipped for good service anyway if I wasn't already getting billed for it, but I'm not going to be emotionally blackmailed into giving two lots of tips out because people are waving envelopes about. A tip is a bonus, and a bonus is not automatic. Handing out envelopes demeans the first bonus (billed) to something taken for granted rather than a genuine show of appreciation.

Seeing as the automatic tipping only goes to certain staff - table waiter/cabin steward etc, I shall be removing my auto tips when I embark and I shall tip these staff independently, along with any other staff, but only if I think they deserve it. I certainly wouldn't feel embarrassed if others on my table were tipping and I wasn't, after all, its my holiday and has nothing to do with anyone else.

I think my auto tip bill for the 14 nights will come to £110 (£3.95/adult?) and so I shall take at least this amount with me in cash and distribute it as I see fit, whether that be to the barman or the captains dog!!

Edited by Big Stevie

Seeing as the automatic tipping only goes to certain staff - table waiter/cabin steward etc, I shall be removing my auto tips when I embark and I shall tip these staff independently, along with any other staff, but only if I think they deserve it. I certainly wouldn't feel embarrassed if others on my table were tipping and I wasn't, after all, its my holiday and has nothing to do with anyone else.

I think my auto tip bill for the 14 nights will come to £110 (£3.95/adult?) and so I shall take at least this amount with me in cash and distribute it as I see fit, whether that be to the barman or the captains dog!!

The bar persons already get a built in tip in the price you pay.

Brian

I think it's around 10-12%. As its in with the price, you can't take it off. That's why the waiters are always anxious to serve you, but if you don't want a drink, they put a napkin on your table so you don't get pestered again. If you change your mind, just put your hand up and the waiter will come running.

Brian

Problem now is that even when you leave the tips on, people on the last night are also giving envelopes,

The people giving out envelopes have likely had the auto tips removed. I agree it is embarrassing and that's why many dine elsewhere on the last night.

David.

The people giving out envelopes have likely had the auto tips removed. I agree it is embarrassing and that's why many dine elsewhere on the last night.

David.

Never seen anyone give out envelopes with cash in, is this a thing with select dining as we do freedom dining and have different staff every time

Bob

Never seen anyone give out envelopes with cash in, is this a thing with select dining as we do freedom dining and have different staff every time

Bob

Yes. The auto tips started so that the waiters in freedom actually got tipped. No one is going to tip every night and of course every night you can have different waiters.

I don't like these tipping threads. It brings out the worst in some people.

At the end of the day nobody knows who gives what and actually it's really nobody's business anyway.