A salutary lesson for us all(Insurance)

BenMurphy

I recently earned 56K UA miles with UA card booking a Princess cruise ($7K X 8 points = 56K UA miles). All I gave up was a couple of hundred $$ of OBC from a TA.

The 56K UA miles were worth to me a lot more than 3 or 4 hundred $$ OBC (1 business class ticket to Europe, to be exact :D).

Disclaimer - they don't always offer 8 points/$ spent, but they did when I booked the cruise.

Brilliant

You can teach the points guy a few tricks

Even giving up 1000 obc worth it. You cannot buy business class ticket for that

We have been ignoring those emails from United. Time to pay attention

Although attorney Walker's blog post states the cost of the cruise was $43,000 I really wonder why anyone would self insure such a large amount. I personally do not know anyone who could afford such a large loss from their own funds.

The way I see it, the traveler CAN afford "such a large loss from their own funds". If they could not afford to spend that amount of money, they wouldn't have booked that cruise. Either way, taking the cruise or canceling, they are out the money. Just in one case they get nothing for their expenditure.

I know it sounds heartless, but that's the reality as I see it.

Not heartless at all

The decision not to take insurance is a gamble -- a conscious gamble. Why should anyone else be responsible if you gamble and lose?

The author of the article is the proverbial ambulance chaser. The only difference is that he's chasing cruise ships.

Okay, I gotta spin this a different direction.

Why cancel the cruise if you're diagnosed with lung cancer? You're going to die anyway, go and have the vacation of your life!

Everyone, even the ambulance chaser who wrote the article, needs to remember that life is terminal.

Okay, I gotta spin this a different direction.

Why cancel the cruise if you're diagnosed with lung cancer? You're going to die anyway, go and have the vacation of your life!

Maybe because you want to start treatment so you may have a chance at cure or better longevity?

We just paid our trip insurance in full.When you leave a deposit on a cruise you have 14 days to pay the insurance so you can get the pre existing conditions included.In New York State if you have to cancel before full payment for cruise,you can carry over the insurance for 720 days.Our cruise is January 2016.

I am still learning how to maximize points earning opportunities for cruising. While Sapphire earns 2X the points for travel spending I just learned the United MileagePlus Card can earn much, much more for an expensive cruise that might be worth enough for two first class tickets anywhere.

The pointsguy dot com had a recent post on this strategy

I have to figure if the obc and personal service is worth passing this up.

I too have both the Chase Sapphire Card and the Mileage Plus Card. The Mileage Plus Card that I have is the one that I pay 95 dollars a year for. Is this Mileage Plus Card the same one that you have? The reason I ask is because the only benefit I see in addition to the two free lounge passes I get each year is the two points for money spent on United Airlines purchases. I have never gotten any additional offers of points. Could you please explain about the offers you have received for additional points on that Mileage Plus Card?

Why cancel just be a no show. This stops them from reselling your room and making more money on your problem

As for insurance, unless you get cancel for any reason it's almost impossible to collect for non medical reasons.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

I recently earned 56K UA miles with UA card booking a Princess cruise ($7K X 8 points = 56K UA miles). All I gave up was a couple of hundred $$ of OBC from a TA.

The 56K UA miles were worth to me a lot more than 3 or 4 hundred $$ OBC (1 business class ticket to Europe, to be exact :D).

Disclaimer - they don't always offer 8 points/$ spent, but they did when I booked the cruise.

Paulchilli, I just saw your post. I have both the Chase Sapphire Card, and the UA Mileage Plus Card. The only offer I have seen with the Mileage Plus Card is for two points for each dollar spent on UA purchases, and two free passes for the U/A lounges. As a result I was thinking about cancelling the U/A Mileage Plus Card, and just using the Chase Sapphire Card. This UA Mileage Plus Card is the one that costs $95 per year. Is this the same Card that you have? If so, where are the offers that you are getting at?

I too have both the Chase Sapphire Card and the Mileage Plus Card. The Mileage Plus Card that I have is the one that I pay 95 dollars a year for. Is this Mileage Plus Card the same one that you have? The reason I ask is because the only benefit I see in addition to the two free lounge passes I get each year is the two points for money spent on United Airlines purchases. I have never gotten any additional offers of points. Could you please explain about the offers you have received for additional points on that Mileage Plus Card?

I think it would violate the CC rules here for me to exactly explain how to do this here. Do a search on the web and you will figure this out. Sorry I cannot be more explicit

Paulchilli, I just saw your post. I have both the Chase Sapphire Card, and the UA Mileage Plus Card. The only offer I have seen with the Mileage Plus Card is for two points for each dollar spent on UA purchases, and two free passes for the U/A lounges. As a result I was thinking about cancelling the U/A Mileage Plus Card, and just using the Chase Sapphire Card. This UA Mileage Plus Card is the one that costs $95 per year. Is this the same Card that you have? If so, where are the offers that you are getting at?

I see no violation here

You are looking at the glossy booklet you receive with the card annually. That is not where the benefits are spelled out.

You need to look at the white paper booklet that most people throw away or do not read which sets forth the benefits of the card. You will see a section on trip cancellation/interruption.

There have also been several threads on this topic. If you search for "trip insurance" and ask to"show threads" you will find them.

Edited by bitob

I see no violation here

You are looking at the glossy booklet you receive with the card annually. That is not where the benefits are spelled out.

You need to look at the white paper booklet that most people throw away or do not read which sets forth the benefits of the card. You will see a section on trip cancellation/interruption.

There have also been several threads on this topic. If you search for "trip insurance" and ask to"show threads" you will find them.

I apologize if I misread his post but I think titong was asking how one could earn bonus points booking a cruise with his United card.

I apologize if I misread his post but I think titong was asking how one could earn bonus points booking a cruise with his United card.

Chuckie, you are absolutely correct. Also, I have read the white booklet, and I don't see where anything about any additional points. In addition, I don't see how any can be any violation of cruise critic policies.

Yes, that is the card.

Search for United cruises. Even now I see some cruises that will give you 8 UA miles for $1 spent (not Oceania) - same price & offers as those offered by cruise line itself (minus some potential OBC/refund you may get from your TA).

You have to do the math.

Yes, that is the card.

Search for United cruises. Even now I see some cruises that will give you 8 UA miles for $1 spent (not Oceania) - same price & offers as those offered by cruise line itself (minus some potential OBC/refund you may get from your TA).

You have to do the math.

Thank you for the information. Maybe I could not find the trees for the forest. Anyway after talking to several people at Chase Sapphire and United the website containing those deals is at http://cruises.united.com/

Hopefully other people won't have to spend several hours and phone calls finding that site. If I am in violation of the terms of agreement on Cruise Critic for posting that site, the moderators are free to delete this post.

Thank you for the information. Maybe I could not find the trees for the forest. Anyway after talking to several people at Chase Sapphire and United the website containing those deals is at http://cruises.united.com/

Hopefully other people won't have to spend several hours and phone calls finding that site. If I am in violation of the terms of agreement on Cruise Critic for posting that site, the moderators are free to delete this post.

Also, I found out that you do not have to use the UA Mileage Card to get those deals, you can use any credit card to get those extra points to include Chase Sapphire. I am glad I am retired, because trying to figure out the best way and best cards to use for points is like a full time job.

Also, I found out that you do not have to use the UA Mileage Card to get those deals, you can use any credit card to get those extra points to include Chase Sapphire. I am glad I am retired, because trying to figure out the best way and best cards to use for points is like a full time job.

That may be but I would double check that. They have always asked me about the MP card specifically to be eligible for the full bonus. After all, that is the name of the website.

That may be but I would double check that. They have always asked me about the MP card specifically to be eligible for the full bonus. After all, that is the name of the website.

Paulchili, thank you for the information. Who do you double check it with? I spoke to a travel agent on the phone number given for that website. He told me that they were a separate travel agency, and that they were contractors for United Airlines. He also stated that his particular office specialized in luxury cruises like Oceania and Crystal. This sure is a lot of work.

I only speak to the agents but when I ask for the full benefits (most points possible) they ask me if I have the UA MP card.

Just get it in writing or ask a couple of different people.

Thank you. I did speak to an agent. He also told me that the points that they give do not post UNTIL AFTER the cruise is completed. This is unlike the UA credit card and Chase Sapphire which posts the points WHEN you make the payment. Has that been your experience?

Thank you. I did speak to an agent. He also told me that the points that they give do not post UNTIL AFTER the cruise is completed. This is unlike the UA credit card and Chase Sapphire which posts the points WHEN you make the payment. Has that been your experience?

Also, the agent told me that the points that they give do not include the taxes that you pay for the cruise. Is that what you were told?

Edited by titong

Yes & yes - no points for taxes (not a significant amount) and the points post only after the cruise - they want to make sure you actually take it :D

Remember - your purchases on MP & Sapphire may post at next statement's closing but if you cancel a purchase (like a cancellable airline ticket) they will deduct points for that amount.

Edited by Paulchili