An Oasis Class Ship To Galveston? If This Happens What May Change...

While the Liberty of the Seas (Freedom Class) coming to Galveston marks a capacity increase from the Navigator of the Seas, it would be great for Galveston to have an Oasis Class ship homeported. Some things would definitely change if Galveston if an Oasis Class ship were to come.

This is a blog post I wrote about what Galveston might look like if an Oasis Class ship gets deployed to the port someday. Most my writing is common sense mixed with logic about what would need to happen and change if one of these "behemoths" were to come to Galveston.

Here is my imagination, with logic and common sense, helping me get an idea what an Oasis class ship would do to Galveston:

http://www.embarkandaway.com/general-cruise-blog/what-galveston-might-look-like-with-an-oasis-class-cruise-ship

Of course, at this time there are no known plans to the public to deploy an Oasis Class ship to Galveston. However, this could be an option in the future.

Would you want the Oasis of the Seas or any Oasis class vessel to come to Galveston? I know I do, and I would probably book it in a heartbeat. :)

Edited by thecruiserofships
Left Words Out

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE an Oasis class ship in Galveston! There are definitely enough people in Texas to handle an Oasis class ship, but there isn't enough tourism infrastructure at the port. They need a lot more hotels buy the port, and a rental car office that is open seven days a week. I think Galveston needs to get their act together before the cruise lines would ever consider it.

I have to wonder if the Galveston harbor channel is wide enough near the dock for an Oasis class to turn. I'm guessing that if a Freedom class can turn (which is about 75 feet shorter than Oasis class) then perhaps Oasis class can as well. :confused:

The current fleet can turn in the basin in Galveston, the Magic is 1004' the Navigator is 1020' but the Oasis is listed at 1186' or the beast of them all.

The Magic turns up from the docks about 200 yards and then backs down the channel to the pier. I don't know exactly how close it is, but we had an aft wrap last month and the guys in the jack up rig in dry dock could see if I had brushed my teeth...

Draft isn't a problem for Galveston, so perhaps someone smarter than me ca share the maximum length for turning around.

Edited by BallFour4

Educate yourselves about what's happening here. Terminal 2 has a multi-million expansion in process and cruise passenger count is soaring.

Galveston is a long way from the Rhapsody full time and Splendour part time.

Ships also sail full from here at higher rev rates than ever before. Look at the presentation RCCL made to Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. They are here for the long haul.

While I agree that there is a huge market for cruises in the Houston/Galveston port area, I also believe that RCL must expand beyond the typical Cozumel, Belize, Roatan or Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth itineraries. Both Princess and Carnival are experimenting with longer cruises and other destinations. RCL is going to have to try to keep up. The big ships are interesting but so are the destinations and, in my opinion, the western Caribbean destinations are just not that interesting.

5,700 cruise guests in the unorganized Galveston terminal, I wouldn't want to see it. Throw in the fog and wind factor for the channel ride into port and I wouldn't want to experience it. I cruised once out of Galveston. It was nice but the long commute from the airport was not fun either, not to mention the cold first and last day of the cruise sucked. There were 5 of 7 days that were warm.

Could one go there? Yes, but I doubt it will happen.

5,700 cruise guests in the unorganized Galveston terminal, I wouldn't want to see it. Throw in the fog and wind factor for the channel ride into port and I wouldn't want to experience it. I cruised once out of Galveston. It was nice but the long commute from the airport was not fun either, not to mention the cold first and last day of the cruise sucked. There were 5 of 7 days that were warm.

Talk about loosing days to cold weather....try sailing out of NY/NJ in the middle of the winter:eek:

Educate yourselves about what's happening here. Terminal 2 has a multi-million expansion in process and cruise passenger count is soaring.

Galveston is a long way from the Rhapsody full time and Splendour part time.

Ships also sail full from here at higher rev rates than ever before. Look at the presentation RCCL made to Bay Area Chamber of Commerce. They are here for the long haul.

But with an Oasis class on top of all the other cruise traffic? :confused:

Edited by joepeka

Then Don't sail out of New York 2 1/2 days going and coming of cold weather.

The only itinerary I could see an Oasis class ship out of Galveston doing would be Costa Maya, Falmouth and Cozumel....don't think there are any other ports that it would be able to do on a 7 night'r.

Roatan Costa Maya, Cozumel

Then Don't sail out of New York 2 1/2 days going and coming of cold weather.

We never would in the winter, even though it is 1.5 hours by plane from our house. Our favourite port is Everglades. If an Oasis class ship goes to Port Canaveral we might try that too.