Does the home port change the vibe of the cruise? Florida vs. Texas Cruise

IslandGrl411

I have always felt that cruises out of Texas are the most fun. People seem to get more involved in activities and dancing. But not necessarily in a filthy way, although it can turn into that sometimes. Texas has finished their Spring Break, so this week, almost everyone on the ships out of Galveston are not Texans, which changes the vibe. But if you are sailing in April, it will probably be back to mostly Texans by then. I have always really enjoyed the vibe of sailings out of Galveston, when it's mostly Texans. Florida has been great too, but Galveston has been the best.

Edited by k2excursion

I believe it is part of the entire vacation. We love Miami so we always do a pre and post cruise stay there. Even if we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale or Port Canaveral.

Edited by rtap23

Texas has finished their Spring Break, so this week, almost everyone on the ships out of Galveston are not Texans, which changes the vibe.

Sorry but I don't understand the reasoning behind this statement. I can't imagine any cruise out of Galveston where almost everyone on the ship is not Texan.

Regarding the OP's question, my personal feeling is that the weather has something to do with the feel and vibe of the cruise. If it is winter in Galveston, the weather can be nasty (cold, foggy, rainy). Setting sail under these conditions definitely can cast a pall on the beginning of a cruise. Sometimes it can also carry over to the first day at sea.

PS. The weather can also be very nice with sunshine and relatively warm temperatures (60s). it is the luck of the draw.

I have always sailed out of Florida. 1st time out of Galveston in 18 days. Does the home port change the feel and vibe of the cruise?

I hope my question makes sense

You've asked a very interesting question!

I think the answer to your question is subjective, but in my experience I do think that different ports of embarkation have a different feel and vibe. Other factors influence those things too IMO, such as the length of the cruise and time of the year. Longer cruises tend to have a more subdued vibe. There will be more kids during spring break, school summer vacation, and holidays which influences the feel of the cruise, and especially the Lido experience. IMO the ship's clientele may be more or less friendly and outgoing based on port of embarkation, and some ports of embarkation attract a more diverse crowd. For example, I noticed that cruising on a 7 day cruise from Baltimore, the crowd was quieter and tended to keep to themselves. On shorter cruises from Miami, I thought the feel and vibe was much livelier. I've also noticed more international passengers cruising from southern Florida. I base this observation on the number of non-English speaking passengers that I encountered. I think it is exciting to meet people from other cultures which is an experience that enriches the cruising experience IMO.

And I might be a little biased, but I think that you will cruise with more southerners cruising from Texas or New Orleans, and southerners are known for their friendliness. Many southerners that you encounter have never met a stranger! They will speak to you in the elevator and often just in passing.

I hope you have a great cruise out of Texas and will come back and post your thoughts on the subject after you cruise from Texas!

Sorry but I don't understand the reasoning behind this statement. I can't imagine any cruise out of Galveston where almost everyone on the ship is not Texan.

Regarding the OP's question, my personal feeling is that the weather has something to do with the feel and vibe of the cruise. If it is winter in Galveston, the weather can be nasty (cold, foggy, rainy). Setting sail under these conditions definitely can cast a pall on the beginning of a cruise. Sometimes it can also carry over to the first day at sea.

PS. The weather can also be very nice with sunshine and relatively warm temperatures (60s). it is the luck of the draw.

Our experience (three cruises...2 on Magic and one on Ecstasy) is that the majority of cruisers on a ship from Galveston are Texans (not saying it is a bad thing;))

I had NEVER even thought about it until we got onboard the Magic out of Galveston last Oct. The boat was 3/4 Texans and the rest mostly from OK, LA, NM, AR, AZ, etc. The boat was a HOOT. We had a blast. Texans are very outgoing and friendly as a whole, and the boat was just Fun, Fun, Fun. We enjoyed that cruise so much that we booked another one immediately out of Galveston for this past month. Once again, crowd was mostly Texans, very outgoing and upbeat and friendly and loud and .... just what we enjoy.

Also... dressing up for Texans is jeans and a shirt with a collar. And yes, we saw cowboy boots onboard. Formal nights have some dressy people but not as many as I would have expected. Only a few long formal gowns, mostly just nice dresses and pants for ladies. Didn't even see that many ties on the men. So if that is important to you....

We wonder now what the people are like on ships out of Florida. What is their Vibe? Are they mostly retired and quiet deck-sitters? Lots of families? Anyone?

robin

Edited by ABQrobin

Home port certainly changes the vibe of a cruise. The Pride out of Baltimore was almost not like a Carnival Cruise compared to Miami, Port Canaveral and Tampa. The crowd was much older and conservative than your normal Carnival cruise and most appeared to be from Pennsylvania on my particular cruise.

I have always sailed out of Florida. 1st time out of Galveston in 18 days. Does the home port change the feel and vibe of the cruise?

We'll be nice and friendly! See you on board! :cool:

I agree with most of the posters. Our cruises out of Galveston have been nothing but FUN! Great people, excellent sailing conditions (we were lucky i guess).

What I liked was a change of scenery when sailing out. We are so used to sailing out of the FL ports that they just get....mundane after a while. It was a lot of fun for this couple from WI to see the oil rigs in the water as you sailed away! It was even fun going from the airport (IAH) to Galveston! New sights to see!

We would happily said out of Galveston again. Crossing fingers for a cruise out of New Orleans next!

Absolutely ! We've sailed out of Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, and Galveston.

I noticed the music on the Magic (Galveston) was more what we were used to being from Missouri.....country and rock. (True 80's music too....not the early 70's stuff they play during 80's hour at the disco on other ships) Even the entertainment & trivia were geared at country music, etc.

We sailed in July and almost everyone was from Texas or the surrounding states. The crowd was much more friendly and more involved than the Florida cruises.

We sail out of Miami this year and am hoping it's not all Techno stuff.

I'll always remember dancing to "Sweet Home Alabama" during sail away aboard the Holiday out of Mobile. [emoji41]

We sailed Elation out of Mobile. I never saw so many Alabamians on the cruise ship. When the comedian told the stupid Alabamians redneck jokes, we were laughing like crazy as well :D

And I might be a little biased, but I think that you will cruise with more southerners cruising from Texas or New Orleans, and southerners are known for their friendliness. Many southerners that you encounter have never met a stranger! They will speak to you in the elevator and often just in passing.

I have to agree with this. We recently sailed out of both Galveston and New Orleans and tremendously enjoyed both trips. I found most everyone friendly and great fun. Even leaving the airport felt better. It wasn't oppressively hot and humid like your first taste of Florida seems to be. On the ship the music was not so loud and I enjoyed that there was less hip hop and techno. I didn't notice anything being more "country" but I liked the feel.

Edited by Miller_KC

I'm wondering about this as well. I'm sailing out of Charleston next year for the 1st time. I've mostly cruised out of Florida (Miami and Ft Lauderdale). Not sure what people mean by those cruises are more subdued and relaxed, they've been great party cruises IMO!! :D I did take a cruise from Galveston once, it sure was lots of fun but as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to atmosphere/vibe, it was no different than my cruises out of Florida. I'm taking my BF on his 1st cruise and would love for him to experience the fun, friendly, social, party, etc atmosphere/vibe that I've come to know and love on cruises. :D Does anyone know what the atmosphere/vibe on cruises out of Charleston (specifically on the Fantasy) is like? He loves a good party atmosphere and I want him to have a blast!!

I'm wondering about this as well. I'm sailing out of Charleston next year for the 1st time. I've mostly cruised out of Florida (Miami and Ft Lauderdale). Not sure what people mean by those cruises are more subdued and relaxed, they've been great party cruises IMO!! :D I did take a cruise from Galveston once, it sure was lots of fun but as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to atmosphere/vibe, it was no different than my cruises out of Florida. I'm taking my BF on his 1st cruise and would love for him to experience the fun, friendly, social, party, etc atmosphere/vibe that I've come to know and love on cruises. :D Does anyone know what the atmosphere/vibe on cruises out of Charleston (specifically on the Fantasy) is like? He loves a good party atmosphere and I want him to have a blast!!

Charleston usually is named as the nations city with the best manners year after year. You are most likely going to cruise with Southerners from the Carolinas,Georgia, Tennessee, and Virginia. The folks should be friendly, polite, and exude that special Southern charm.You will hear Please and Thank you when interacting with the staff and fellow passengers.Its a cruise, everyone is there to have fun.

Try to spend some time in Charleston, there is a reason that the Holy City is voted as the USAs best tourist city several years running.Charleston is a very special place. History, fine dining, shopping, theater, etc. we love Charleston.

I'll always remember dancing to "Sweet Home Alabama" during sail away aboard the Holiday out of Mobile. [emoji41]

Loved the Holiday, but the cruises out of Mobile were definitely different than any other we have been on! We sailed out of New Orleans last year and the ship seemed to have more people from Louisiana on it. When sailing out of S. Florida it seems to be a more mixed group.

Yep, plus where the ship is going plays even a bigger role, i gurantee a cruise from Miami in the summer heading to Jamaica is wayyy different than a cruise from Texas heading to Cozumel.