Navigator - dress code actually enforced!

It's a serious question. Women in shorts A-OK, Men in shorts bad. Why the double standard? Shouldn't all these women be turned away too?

Double standard -- absolutely. It is right no. I have worn walking shorts to dinner in the MDR. No one has ever stopped me. I don't do it often, usually on the last night of a cruise, when everything else is packed. It is my 'last night of the cruise wear'.

Double standard unfortunately are everywhere. In the some business environments it is done all the time. For instance, my DH works for a company that requires men to be wearing suits and ties and closed shoes; yet women are not required to wear business suits (either as skirt or dress ensembles) with closed shoes, actually they have very little of a dress code for women. So you have men dressing as required and women coming to work wearing 'flip-flops' with sequins on them and skimpy leggings (that should be worn in a gym) with less than business-like blouses. On a chilly day in my DH's office (we live in S. Florida) he wore a sweater over his dress shirt, and had odd looks from 'management' -- but management never addresses what women wear to work. That probably would get a 'harassment case' started.

I would rather Royal reword their dress code and make it sensible. If not, there will forever be this debate.

The sign on the MDR says "No Shorts". Does this apply to men only? Or does it apply to men and women?

No shorts means no shorts! If they are going to enforce it, then it should apply to all. If they are not going to enforce it, or only selectively enforce it, then the policy of no shorts should be changed.

Sherri:)

But... I don't think I'd be incorrect in reminding you that you often similarly advise that "men generally aren't required to follow the no shorts policy" also, right?

Ah, my old friend Wet. Once again you have me confused with someone else. Please search the forums for any post that I authored in which I advocated wearing shorts in the MDR. Go ahead... I'll wait.

By the way, I love the additional word "often" in your incorrect quote. Absolutely hilarious. Here's a tip: Get your facts straight before casually casting your often "incorrect" dispersions around.

Unbelievable.

On a chilly day in my DH's office (we live in S. Florida) he wore a sweater

I live right up the road from you. I think everyone down here can remember "the one chilly day" haha. Maybe one day we will meet out at sea :cool:

Yes and yes.

Capri pants aren't shorts...they go below the knee. They would look just fine, especially paired with nice sandals (not flip-flops!)

Men aren't expected to wear coats, ties or anything suit-related on formal nights.

Fixed your post. ;)

I live right up the road from you. I think everyone down here can remember "the one chilly day" haha. Maybe one day we will meet out at sea :cool:

We have a few of them, every 'winter season' -- and hopefully one day we will meet at sea....our next cruise is over Thanksgiving on Navigator.....we will spend the holiday with 3800 of our closest friends, who we may never meet again. Maybe I will dress as Pocahontas that day! Will my head dress compromise the dress code, in any way.

Edited by Paulette3028

Also, unlike other lines I have been on, apparently Royal Caribbean the dress code ONLY applies to the dining room and many go back and change after dinner to be more comfortable in the evening. So it's all just a farce to sell photo sets as far as I can see.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

I would have to disagree that dress code requirements are just part of RCCLs plan to get folks to buy photos.

I think many of their guests still enjoy getting dressed up in the evening and it is one of the things that attracts them to a cruise vs a land vacation.

I would have to disagree that dress code requirements are just part of RCCLs plan to get folks to buy photos.

I think many of their guests still enjoy getting dressed up in the evening and it is one of the things that attracts them to a cruise vs a land vacation.

While it may well be true that "many of their guests still enjoy getting dressed up in the evening", that does not justify pressuring those who do not "enjoy getting dressed up in the evening" to do so. The wishes of those who do not enjoy dressing up should be respected just as much as those who do wish to dress up.

At this point with airlines charging for suitcases I think I'm done with traveling RCCL if they enforce the "no shorts" rules. I am paying for a cruise experience, which includes dining room dinners and if I was barred entry it would be my last time traveling RCCL. My party has always worn knee length shorts at casual night with no problems. I think it's time for the cruise industry to enter the 21st century and acknowledge the fact that many of us don't dress up while on vacation if they want to keep our business.

While it may well be true that "many of their guests still enjoy getting dressed up in the evening", that does not justify pressuring those who do not "enjoy getting dressed up in the evening" to do so. The wishes of those who do not enjoy dressing up should be respected just as much as those who do wish to dress up.

But, the dress code is published for every cruise line so you have a choice to either be "pressured" or not.;):)

I still have yet to hear on any of the 3,000 threads on this anyone explain how it directly affects them if someone else doesn't dress up. I respect the dress code, but it someone else doesn't, it doesnt affect me at all.

I still have yet to hear on any of the 3,000 threads on this anyone explain how it directly affects them if someone else doesn't dress up. I respect the dress code, but it someone else doesn't, it doesnt affect me at all.

Well, someone did say they wouldn't talk to someone in a tee shirt and baseball cap so apparently it would affect his ability to speak.:D

These threads always make me laugh... only because people are so passionate about dress "codes". I do get it though (I think). Seems to me after reading thru this and all the other "dress code" threads that there are 3 general camps of people:

1. Those who are irritated with the fact that a "rule" exists and that others are choosing not to follow said rules.

2. Those who are questioning the need for or validity of the "rule" in the first place.

3. Those who are angry that the thread even exists.

I don't want to pack and transport (by plane) formal clothing, so we opt for Windjammer on formal nights. We pack according to the dress policy for the casual nights (pants and collared shirts for DH). I could be wrong here, but I didn't take the OP as being upset. I read it that she was simply trying to say "hey, pack accordingly".

When a rule has been in place for many years but has long been unenforced, I think the reasonable assumption would be that it will continue to be a "non-rule". And given the heated debates on CC, it's obvious that this rule has not been enforced across the fleet, or even from day to day on certain cruises. Does that mean the rule doesn't exist? No.

I think she and her husband made a normal, reasonable assumption after seeing the rule consistently not enforced on many cruises. I think she was also just letting others know - especially given the volatile emotions that seem to surround the dress code on CC - that the rule that has been widely unenforced is now being enforced on at least one ship, so plan accordingly. That's the purpose of cruise critic (I thought) - to HELP fellow cruisers and to share information. I, for one, am glad she posted. It may help others know to pack according to the rule - rather than according to how things have been done despite the rule.

So, have we discussed footwear in the main dining room? Formal days, non-formal days?

What will cause people to point and snicker? Snub me at the table? Roll eyes and put noses in the air?

The Crocs with Socks crowd loves to bash people over footwear. Hold on tight.

But, the dress code is published for every cruise line so you have a choice to either be "pressured" or not.;):)

No. Having a choice as to how you respond does not remove the pressure.

Now, explain why the group that likes dressing up should feel justified to pressure the group that does not?

Oh, I know, the cruise line said so. Well, so what? What would be the reaction from those who do prefer to dress up be if the cruise line were to change the policy? Would they say, oh, well, those are the rules? Or, would they threaten to change cruise lines?

That's not the point. The point is that Royal has not enforced their Dress Code on this ship for a long time, now apparently they are, without informing their customers of this change prior to boarding. The OP was just doing Royal's job for them with her post.

Agree completely! Thanks to the OP for the heads up. They have been very relaxed about the dress code and my DH has worn nice golf shorts on a number of occasions.

What we feel about the dress code is meaningless - but I must say, the fact that old jeans, sweatpants and baseball caps are allowed in the MDR just doesn't make sense.

Maybe by encouraging more formal dress we might even see this!

I think it conforms :eek:

IMG_0073.jpg.492405952b252eeafe9f6796dd4e3904.jpg

Agree completely! Thanks to the OP for the heads up. They have been very relaxed about the dress code and my DH has worn nice golf shorts on a number of occasions.

What we feel about the dress code is meaningless - but I must say, the fact that old jeans, sweatpants and baseball caps are allowed in the MDR just doesn't make sense.

Maybe by encouraging more formal dress we might even see this!

I think it conforms :eek:

She could stand to miss a meal or 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk