Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Looks like posts on Ncl's fb page complaining about the rs fee, are disappearing right and left. Ncl must be deleting them.

That's an awesome move by them. Instead of reconsidering and realizing that they *may* have made a mistake, if not in the fee itself then at least in the implementation, and instead of responding to the complaints in some sort of a conciliatory manner, they've elected to try to whitewash it and delete them all.

Different staff , manager, owner and crowd . Same musty smell.

It is located a block East of the old Montreal Forum and was once a real hang out .

http://cockandbull.ca/

My uncle used to hang out there all the time, when it was near St. Marc. Unfortunately he passed away in the 1980s.

His name was Jim Gallagher.

I've only partially read this thread...it's a LOT to get through BUT did anyone mention that this is a "test"? In a webinar yesterday, delivered by Andy Stuart, he said NCL was testing out the new RS fees on the enhanced RS menu on Breakaway and Getaway and apologized profusely for the lack of a communication plan targeted to cruisers and TAs both. I guess he didn't also post that same apology on NCL's FB page. It seems he should do that rather than having the social media team delete the comments. That's just not right.

Edited by TravlGrl

I've only partially read this thread...it's a LOT to get through BUT did anyone mention that this is a "test"? In a webinar yesterday, delivered by Andy Stuart, he said NCL was testing out the new RS fees on the enhanced RS menu on Breakaway and Getaway and apologized profusely for the lack of a communication plan targeted to cruisers and TAs both. I guess he didn't also post that same apology on NCL's FB page. It seems he should do that rather than having the social media team delete the comments. That's just not right.

The fact that it's a test makes it better? So if my local supermarket implemented a $7.95 convenience walk out the door fee after I had already purchased my food, and then refused to either let me walk out the door with the food, or return the food for a refund, it would be ok if they were just testing it for two weeks?

The fact that it's a test makes it better? So if my local supermarket implemented a $7.95 convenience walk out the door fee after I had already purchased my food, and then refused to either let me walk out the door with the food, or return the food for a refund, it would be ok if they were just testing it for two weeks?

Whoa! Did I say that? Don't attack me because you're pissed off at NCL. I was providing information. If you're not attacking me, then I apologize in advance, but your post looks like you're on the attack toward me when I was simply providing info I didn't see anywhere on this thread. I didn't say any of this is right or better.

Did I read your post incorrectly?

Edited by TravlGrl

Whoa! Did I say that? Don't attack me because you're pissed off at NCL. I was providing information. If you're not attacking me, then I apologize in advance, but your post looks like you're on the attack toward me when I was simply providing info I didn't see anywhere on this thread. I didn't say any of this is right or better.

Did I read your post incorrectly?

You read my post incorrectly. I apologize if it came off as an attack on you. I'm attacking NCL's justification of "it's only a test" as though that somehow makes any difference.

Edited by shapatack0

You read my post incorrectly. I apologize if it came off as an attack on you. I'm attacking NCL's justification of "it's only a test" as though that somehow makes any difference.

Oh, ok, good! Whew. :) Perhaps I should have put it in a more accurate context. It wasn't worded as, "It's only a test". It was worded more like, "This is a test, and we did a terrible job of communicating that it was even happening." This is a more accurate account of what was said.

My primary point though is that he apologized repeatedly on that webinar but it sounds like that same apology is not coming through to any of NCL's fans on FB. I wonder how it will be messaged to current cruisers by the end of the week as people are becoming more and more angry about it.

I'm glad CC is writing about it, and perhaps CC can get them to publicly acknowledge that they screwed this up.

Oh, ok, good! Whew. :) Perhaps I should have put it in a more accurate context. It wasn't worded as, "It's only a test". It was worded more like, "This is a test, and we did a terrible job of communicating that it was even happening." This is a more accurate account of what was said.

My primary point though is that he apologized repeatedly on that webinar but it sounds like that same apology is not coming through to any of NCL's fans on FB. I wonder how it will be messaged to current cruisers by the end of the week as people are becoming more and more angry about it.

I'm glad CC is writing about it, and perhaps CC can get them to publicly acknowledge that they screwed this up.

But this isn't the first time they screwed up and they didn't learn from it then. I'm referring to adding the 18% gratuity charges for specialty restaurants and not notifying people but having passengers find out about it once they got their bill.

Most people learn from their mistakes so I really question if this was 'poor communication' or simply a desire not to communicate.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

No worries. This is the real problem. I have to imagine folks that have made it as high up in a company as Andy Stuart have are not stupid. The problem is not that they want to raise a fee, or test a new product. While I would still hate to see them charge for room service, that would be fine and their absolute right. The outrageous conduct here is that they are imposing a fee on those who have already paid for free room service. When I booked my cruise (which is in two weeks on the getaway) the website specifically stated that room service was included in the cost of my cruise fare. To change that after I've already booked (and made final payment) is blatant false advertising and bait and switch. It's very nice that he "apologized" but as long as he's still imposing this fee on those of us who already paid for a service that we are not getting, he is engaging in a course of conduct that is very close to fraud. And, as I said, the real probem is that he's certainly an intelligent individual, and he knows this. So the fact that he's doing it anyway just shows utter contempt for his passengers, he clearly thinks that the vast majority of us are idiots and won't see this for what it is, blatant false advertising and bait and switch.

The outrageous conduct here is that they are imposing a fee on those who have already paid for free room service. When I booked my cruise (which is in two weeks on the getaway) the website specifically stated that room service was included in the cost of my cruise fare. To change that after I've already booked (and made final payment) is blatant false advertising and bait and switch.
Agreed. When we book a cruise, we agree to their "contract". Sure doesn't feel like it works both ways. What about their adherence to that contract? (rhetorical question)

From ncl's own webpage and nowhere anymore does it say its a test.

https://www.ncl.com/faq/money-matters

Personally, I wouldn't rely on NCL's website for accurate info. They also have inaccurate pricing for the UDP on their website. I'm on the TA on Escape and several of us have watched them change what they say the pricing is per day. I'm sure it'll change 3 more times before we sail in October, so who knows what's actually correct? Edited by TravlGrl

My uncle used to hang out there all the time, when it was near St. Marc. Unfortunately he passed away in the 1980s.

His name was Jim Gallagher.

Hello sjbdtz

Nice to see you, again.....

When I used to frequent Cock 'N Bull it was about half way between the CP hotel where I'd stay and the Old Hockey Stadium where I'd go to see the Chicago Blackhawks on the road. I can't recall the name of the hotel.

Two things tell you it's a test:

(1) They're only doing it on two ships

(2) The price is different on the two ships.

One thing tells you it is here to stay:

(1) They altered their website including ships not participating in the 'test'.

Rochelle

The only value over the $150 cost is the opportunity cost of a reduced deposit until you go on another cruise.

If you believe they are worth more than that, NCL have hook line and sucker into your next cruise.

I know exactly what their financial worth is. Sometimes, things are worth more than just the financial cost associated with it. But more importantly, I was giving you a chance to put YOUR money where your mouth is which is pretty much what you instructed others to do. I see you are afraid to do that, as was expected. So I will continue with my one last NCL cruise and then stay with my favorite cruise line, Carnival, unless a good deal pops up on RCCL or Princess.

I have been cruising since the 70's and only use RS occasionally but one thing that always made a cruise a little special was the room service. I now sell cruises and tell clients how you can hang a card on your door and have coffee and danish delivered.

I can understand the charge during the night to avoid abuse of the service but to charge for everytime is wrong.

Also I was always under the understanding that the charge for specialty restuarants was for the gratuities. Now they are being added on over and above.

I have avoided Norwegian for years but have booked the Breakaway to try out the ship. It will be my first and last. I had a problem over pricing in booking a fourth person also and cannot cancel so they aren't my favorite cruise line.

No wonder there is so much bickering. We can't even agree on what a piece of paper is worth.

I've got a rare quarter that sells on the open market for 50¢. So how much is the quarter worth?

I've got one quarter and all you have are one dollar bills. You are hopping up and down with your legs crossed. The only available restroom requires a quarter. Now how much is that quarter worth?

The value of that quarter is 25 cents. What it is worth depends on who you are selling it to and how desperately they need it. Economics 101 which trumps British pre school math. :D

Edited by Out to sea!

I guess since the ships aren't registered in the USA they don't worry about 'freedom of speech'.

Harriet

It's a privately owned page by a privately owned company. It never had to worry about freedom of speech since it isn't a government entity.

In another thread entitled Latitude Benefits Reduced in Europe (found further down the same Norwegian Board) mention is made of a new policy to Latitude Members in Europe, i.e., whereas each Platinum Member used to get complimentary tickers for two along with a bottle of wine in LeBistro, this is no longer. According to NCL Europe's webpage, this has been REDUCED to ONE PER STATEROOM. So, if you and your travel mate are both platinum, you will now get half the benefits ... one meal for two instead of two meals for two. This is Europe where NCL has been the Number 1 choice for cruise ships for the past seven years.

Friends of mine in Europe indicate this change is on NCL's European Website today. Tongue in cheek, they say, "Today Europe, tomorrow the USA". These same people who have said for NCL for many cruises for over 15 years say they are done. They gave their loyalty to NCL but with a reduction in Latitude Rewards, it is time for them to move on.

DH and were just discussing this and recalled that our local pizza delivery people used to be a tipped position but then went to a delivery charge.

It would seem that this "convenience fee" is a delivery fee.. and since everyone is now being charged for delivery, it is no longer a tipped position.

Correct?

DH and were just discussing this and recalled that our local pizza delivery people used to be a tipped position but then went to a delivery charge.

It would seem that this "convenience fee" is a delivery fee.. and since everyone is now being charged for delivery, it is no longer a tipped position.

Correct?

That's how I treat it.

Correct?

I always assumed the delivery fee for pizza was to cover gas and still tipped on top of that. I assumed that based on the fact that I started to see it around the time that gas got really expensive.