Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

How could the cruise be free if you need all those nickles and dimes to pay for it? :confused:

To answer that rhetoric question - Once you pay the cruise fare and/or DSC, its pretty much free with food, some drinks and entertainment all included. Now if you want alcohol/ soda, eat at specialty restaurants, spa, etc thats when you need nickels and dimes because you pretty much nickel & dimed yourself. [emoji22]

So, yes, nickels and dimes can pay for cruise trip; just don't buy the extras.[emoji1]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I agree

If I book a cruise and it says waterslides are included with my fare, and I get to the cruise and there is a charge each time I want to use the slide, is that somehow fair? I mean some people would spend all day on the slide, creating lines. So the fee is for my convenience so I can use the slide more quickly? And for this I should thank them?

I am saddened by new cruisers who truly never experienced things that made cruising different from other types of vacations. Those differences have been pretty much eroded from the cruise experience. Newer generations, and this is my opinion, seem much more casual and accepting of changes that either cost them more money, impact the services and value they thought they were originally getting, or both.

So no, I don't believe for a moment that people actually ordering and using RS was an abuse, and I don't think these people "did it to themselves". I think with a new generation of cruisers NCL is just pushing the bounds on what they can get a fee for, and how much more they can remove from the experience before they run into trouble filling berths. If everyone accepts this and pats them on the back and sends them love notes for all these new conveniences, of course they will continue to change the cruise experience.

I don't consider a few thousand dollars for a vacation to be bottom of the barrel anything. Cruising certainly costs significantly more than many other ways one could spend their free time. I don't want bottom of the barrel, I want value. I don't want the cheapest price, I want a fair deal. It is very sad that is becoming a minority position these days and to speak up and say I want what I paid for in this bargain essentially gets you beaten back down.

Waterslide fee seems insane doesn't it? Well, for over four decades so did a RS "convenience fee". If they succeed with this it will never end. There will be extra fees in the MDR for bread replenishment, extra fees for a second appetizer. Oh, you want your room done twice per day? The new standard is once. Turn down service will be a fee.

It all sounds crazy now...or does it? At some point you will simply board a ship, have three times daily access to a buffet restaurant (scan your card each time, no 100 trips in and out), and a non-premium positioned deck chair, and they'll make ports of call in all their own special built, sanitized compounds dotted around the Caribbean; probably wherever gave the most building credits and has the cheapest fuel. Everything else will be optional. Everything.

If I book a cruise and it says waterslides are included with my fare, and I get to the cruise and there is a charge each time I want to use the slide, is that somehow fair? I mean some people would spend all day on the slide, creating lines. So the fee is for my convenience so I can use the slide more quickly? And for this I should thank them?

I am saddened by new cruisers who truly never experienced things that made cruising different from other types of vacations. Those differences have been pretty much eroded from the cruise experience. Newer generations, and this is my opinion, seem much more casual and accepting of changes that either cost them more money, impact the services and value they thought they were originally getting, or both.

So no, I don't believe for a moment that people actually ordering and using RS was an abuse, and I don't think these people "did it to themselves". I think with a new generation of cruisers NCL is just pushing the bounds on what they can get a fee for, and how much more they can remove from the experience before they run into trouble filling berths. If everyone accepts this and pats them on the back and sends them love notes for all these new conveniences, of course they will continue to change the cruise experience.

I don't consider a few thousand dollars for a vacation to be bottom of the barrel anything. Cruising certainly costs significantly more than many other ways one could spend their free time. I don't want bottom of the barrel, I want value. I don't want the cheapest price, I want a fair deal. It is very sad that is becoming a minority position these days and to speak up and say I want what I paid for in this bargain essentially gets you beaten back down.

Waterslide fee seems insane doesn't it? Well, for over four decades so did a RS "convenience fee". If they succeed with this it will never end. There will be extra fees in the MDR for bread replenishment, extra fees for a second appetizer. Oh, you want your room done twice per day? The new standard is once. Turn down service will be a fee.

It all sounds crazy now...or does it? At some point you will simply board a ship, have three times daily access to a buffet restaurant (scan your card each time, no 100 trips in and out), and a non-premium positioned deck chair, and they'll make ports of call in all their own special built, sanitized compounds dotted around the Caribbean; probably wherever gave the most building credits and has the cheapest fuel. Everything else will be optional. Everything.

Well said! Most people, regardless of class or financial resources, want a fair deal. What is considered a fair deal to some may not be to others, however that choice should be given up front before purchase rather than changed at boarding time.

I also agree with your point of "where does it end?"

I have not been cruising for decades like some have but even since 2008 I have noticed changes and rarely are they for the better. The [domestic] airline industry has become somewhat of a joke and the experience has been made as miserable as possible not only because of more fees but because of higher costs coupled with decreased basic services. It would be a shame for the cruise industry to go down that same path.

The cruise lines are in business to make money and provide a service. Just like everything else nowadays, you get less for more. I can see the day when a cruise becomes totally 'a la carte'....you pay for everything as you use it.

No more freebies wrapped up into one cruise fare. Look at the airlines. When are they going to make you swipe a credit card to use the toilet? So cruise lines are also looking for new ways to increase their profits by picking apart everything that used to be inclusive in a cruise. So they throw something out there and see what sticks. If enough people complain, maybe they back down a bit but don't count on it. Still, a cruise is good value for the money for the time being and I love not having to unpack more than once and being in a different place every day and being able to try foods that I would not otherwise pay for in a restaurant. At least for now.....:cool:

This wins the best post award!

well said! Most people, regardless of class or financial resources, want a fair deal. What is considered a fair deal to some may not be to others, however that choice should be given up front before purchase rather than changed at boarding time.

I also agree with your point of "where does it end?"

i have not been cruising for decades like some have but even since 2008 i have noticed changes and rarely are they for the better. The [domestic] airline industry has become somewhat of a joke and the experience has been made as miserable as possible not only because of more fees but because of higher costs coupled with decreased basic services. It would be a shame for the cruise industry to go down that same path.

like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was on the Pearl in February. Both my husband and I came down with norovirus. While sick, we were quarantined to our cabin. We were brought one tray of food that the ship's doctor allowed per day. It was a miserable experience. After the cruise, we never were contacted by NCL. I wonder if a room service fee would have applied.

The notion that they're going to charge for something without adding value makes no sense. There's been added value all along: FREE room service. They've been bringing you your breakfast, lunch, midnight snacks to you, large feast or bagel & coffee, on your whim, without you having to pony up one red cent. Can't see the forest for the trees? Talk about fear of losing one's entitlement.

The only way room service has ever been FREE was if one didn't pay for their cruise, otherwise, it's been INCLUDED in their cruise price. Now, it is being found out that what was INCLUDED is now NOT INCLUDED in the cruise price. And yes, I feel entitled to receive what I told I was going to get when I booked a cruise.....to receive less is called "bait and switch" which is illegal most places. :rolleyes:

I was on the Pearl in February. Both my husband and I came down with norovirus ...

You should've started a thread about Noro - I know it's miserable knowing a thing or two about infection controls and apologize first, but don't recall reading about Noro on NCL lately, probably a small outbreak.

I did checked our BA's most recent public health inspection report was the score was below par but showinng improvement. What I was troubled by is the absence of the washy washy crew at all the MDR's with the crowds but they seemed to be doing half hazardly upstairs in the buffet area but we only went there twice over the 7 days so couldn't really make any meaningful comparison.

Seriously, for our BA cruise last week - I thought someone wasn't quite right and the vigilance wasn't there at all, including O'Sheehan's - entirely up to each guests to do it or not all all, the host/ess simply indifferent.

To try to answer your question - your guess is as good as anyone else for this February, maybe it would be waived but I'm sure going forward, they will find a way to billed that under the codename of infirmary supportive care as dispensed ... , etc. :D

The only way room service has ever been FREE was if one didn't pay for their cruise, otherwise, it's been INCLUDED in their cruise price. Now, it is being found out that what was INCLUDED is now NOT INCLUDED in the cruise price. And yes, I feel entitled to receive what I told I was going to get when I booked a cruise.....to receive less is called "bait and switch" which is illegal most places. :rolleyes:

Yup ..I agree....And I would feel the same way if it were anywhere I had made a reservation for something or for a product purchased...I like to get what I paid to get/agreed to ...

Hello sjbdtz

Nice to see you, again.....

When I used to frequent Cock 'N Bull it was about half way between the CP hotel where I'd stay and the Old Hockey Stadium where I'd go to see the Chicago Blackhawks on the road. I can't recall the name of the hotel.

It used to be located on Ste Catherine just west of St. Marc, and you'd pass it on the way from the Queen Elizabeth hotel (near the train station), and the Forum on Atwater.

:)

Stephen

Exactly my thoughts. They could have at least grandfathered purchased cruises. I can't just back out on my cruise contract, but it's ok if they do?

I can see all dining eventually as an add-on to your base cruise fare. Buffets will cost $x, other restaurants based on menu choices, including room service (and, yes, a convenience charge for the privilege of purchasing from it).

You should've started a thread about Noro - I know it's miserable knowing a thing or two about infection controls and apologize first, but don't recall reading about Noro on NCL lately, probably a small outbreak.

I did checked our BA's most recent public health inspection report was the score was below par but showinng improvement. What I was troubled by is the absence of the washy washy crew at all the MDR's with the crowds but they seemed to be doing half hazardly upstairs in the buffet area but we only went there twice over the 7 days so couldn't really make any meaningful comparison.

Seriously, for our BA cruise last week - I thought someone wasn't quite right and the vigilance wasn't there at all, including O'Sheehan's - entirely up to each guests to do it or not all all, the host/ess simply indifferent.

To try to answer your question - your guess is as good as anyone else for this February, maybe it would be waived but I'm sure going forward, they will find a way to billed that under the codename of infirmary supportive care as dispensed ... , etc. :D

Why did you think someone wasn't quite right? We're they drunk or seasick perhaps? Upset stomach from something other than noro?

The point I am making is that its not for another pax to decide if someone has noro....and no pax should presume to report anyone either

You don't know why anyone is "not quite right". It cold be a head cold or a bad reaction to shellfish

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can see all dining eventually as an add-on to your base cruise fare. Buffets will cost $x, other restaurants based on menu choices, including room service (and, yes, a convenience charge for the privilege of purchasing from it).

There was a cruise line (EasyCruise) that tried that approach a couple of years ago. They went out of business pretty quickly.

Nice contribution to the discussion.

????

I have made contributions to this and the other current threads about changes...and at this point, in these long threads , I see no problem re affirming someone's post for the sake of brevity.

Edited by jaja

The entire modern model of Cruise Ships (as opposed to Ocean Liners which were transport between point A and point B by sea) was to provided an ALL INCLUSIVE holiday at sea 24/7.

The airline industry (which is being touted as the Neo Modern model for cruise lines) was, is and always will be following the Ocean Linr model of transport between point A and point B.

The land based resort model most akin to the Cruise Ship model was originally called "The American Plan" as epitimized by the Jewish "Borscht Belt" resorts in the Catskill mountains. It was later picked up by the French "Club Med" and modern "Sandals".

Unfortunately, the travel industry, the tour industry and the hotel/resort industry are blurring their lines of demarcation (ala banks, S&Ls, brokerage houses, etc.) which will lead to the eventual destruction of Classical Cruising.

I hope, as things shake out, NCL will re-offer all the "take backs" as free perks to new (soon to be created?) higher level Latitudes members (Platinum Plus 250 points - Titanium 500 points)

LOL

John

I'm thinking about this.. Someone at NCL completely dropped the ball on this as it seems to me the smart way to do this would have been to leave the current room service menu alone..no charge for the limited menu it now is and simply created a new offer for "dine in your room" that would include a small fee per order but provides the exact same menu as in the main dining rooms -for breakfast, lunch and dinner. How hard could that be (food is already prepared) and it would truly offer a "new" offering to those who wanted to dine in their cabins. I believe suite guests have this option already. This could have turned an extremely negative change into a new potential for revenue that may have made many people happy.

Naww. That won't happen.

What does my cruise fare include?

Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)

7.95 must be the convenience charge- so the food is free- we just pay for delivery?

first time sailor on May 2-Gem

Yes

Interesting, not changed on their website yet.

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes

I just read about it yesterday, and I think it should be something that is grandfathered in. If you have already booked your vacation, then you should get what you were promised when it was booked, otherwise it is false advertising. Don't know if complaining will do any good, but maybe it's worth a try? I was also looking forward to breakfasts on the balcony while my husband gets ready in the morning. I am always ready before him...lol!

I just read about it yesterday, and I think it should be something that is grandfathered in. If you have already booked your vacation, then you should get what you were promised when it was booked, otherwise it is false advertising. Don't know if complaining will do any good, but maybe it's worth a try? I was also looking forward to breakfasts on the balcony while my husband gets ready in the morning. I am always ready before him...lol!

It is always worth complaining. The more people who complain, the more likely they are to realize that they have made a mistake.

It is always worth complaining. The more people who complain, the more likely they are to realize that they have made a mistake.

You mean the more people vote with their wallets, the more they realize they made a mistake. Talk is cheap, actions like going on a cruise line that is not NCL speaks louder.