Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I for one welcome hot breakfast items in non suite accommodations fee or no fee. This will not change how I cruise at all, for those on such a tight budget perhaps cruising with ncl is not for you

*Living large one week at a time*

I really don't think 'having a tight budget' has anything to do with this.

I really think it's the fact that when one booked their cruise and paid for their cruise the cruise they booked and paid for INCLUDED free room service. They can't cancel because they are past the cancellation period unless they wish to lose money. NCL has the absolute right to do this.....however, IMHO, they should have grandfathered in those who already paid and who are/were past their cancellation dates as they really didn't get what they paid for.

Me? I can't imagine what the temperature of the 'hot' food will be once it gets to my cabin as even in the MDR it's not really 'hot', Taking it from the kitchen to my cabin will take even longer....therefore it will be 'less hot' then in the MDR. LOL

Harriet

I really think it's the fact that when one booked their cruise and paid for their cruise the cruise they booked and paid for INCLUDED free room service. They can't cancel because they are past the cancellation period unless they wish to lose money. NCL has the absolute right to do this.....however, IMHO, they should have grandfathered in those who already paid and who are/were past their cancellation dates as they really didn't get what they paid for.

Me? I can't imagine what the temperature of the 'hot' food will be once it gets to my cabin as even in the MDR it's not really 'hot', Taking it from the kitchen to my cabin will take even longer....therefore it will be 'less hot' then in the MDR. LOL

Harriet

I can see that point of view, if this new system sticks and is implemented fleet wide, they better deliver hot food to ensure its worth the fee. When we were in the OS on the Sun our food was piping hot and free so I expect the same for a fee

*Living large one week at a time*

I'll be watching tomorrow for those returning from Breakaway to post about this. And is Getaway due back today? We have sailed Carnival once, then twice on Royal. Our next three were on Norwegian and we thought we'd found the best fit for us. While the RS menu was minimal, we regularly had coffee, juice, and maybe a croissant to nibble while getting dressed to get something more substantial in the buffet or MDR. We have a family group booked for Breakaway in October. We usually book balconies so we will still be able t have that first cup of coffee in cabin but I just can't justify a $7.95 daily expense plus tip for such meager offerings! I guess I'll wait and watch to see how this not very well thought out plan of NCL's works out. We still have plenty of time to cancel but at this point it is not likely as we all have the cabins we desired and the promos were a big factor at booking. Time will tell if we remain sailing with NCL or look elsewhere.

Harriet

Harriet

I can not understand why you and others can say:

"I really think it's the fact that when one booked their cruise and paid for their cruise the cruise they booked and paid for INCLUDED free room service. They can't cancel because they are past the cancellation period unless they wish to lose money. NCL has the absolute right to do this."

What education, knowledge, experience or other data leads you to believe NCL has the absolute right to do this? Or, is it more that you "feel" this is true?

As an attorney for 40 years who worked in the areas of finanancial, consumer and charitable fraud, I can assure you that your belief or feelings are legally incorrect and very mistaken.

I try my best to respect other people's differing opinions but a belief based upon false facts is not entitled to the same respect.

John

Edited by Uniall

Harriet

I can not understand why you and others can say:

"I really think it's the fact that when one booked their cruise and paid for their cruise the cruise they booked and paid for INCLUDED free room service. They can't cancel because they are past the cancellation period unless they wish to lose money. NCL has the absolute right to do this."

What education, knowledge, experience or other data leads you to believe NCL has the absolute right to do this? Or, is it more that you "feel" this is true?

As an attorney for 40 years who worked in the areas of finanancial, consumer and charitable fraud, I can assure you that your belief or feelings are legally incorrect and very mistaken.

I try my best to respect other people's differing opinions but a belief based upon false facts is not entitled to the same respect.

John

I think every company has the right to raise prices or add on fees. My feelings, however, are that those who had already booked/purchased should be grandfathered in so that they actually get/receive what they believed they were getting when they booked/purchased. Anyone who then booked AFTER the increase or add on fees then should know about them and be subject to them. I'm no lawyer, LOL....but that's how I feel.

Harriet

John, you do realize that there is a better chance of the Pope converting to Islam than people on here changing their mind once their opinions are formed, right? That should be obvious on here, even for a lawyer. ;)

I disagree. I have an open mind that there is more chance of me changing my mind, with the proper information, facts, etc. then I believe there is a chance that the Pope will convert to Islam! LOL

Harriet

I agree. NCL should give adequate warning and grandfather in those who already made final payments. In the meantime, if it really will impact your cruise budget and financial situation, I would be a PIA about it on your cruise and they likely will compensate you somehow. Not charge you or give you some on board credit or something. Just depends on how much of a PIA you want to be. If you're willing to raise H E double hockey sticks on an online forum, why not complain to the cruise line in person?

Also, at some point, you have to be willing to accept that they will not be changing this policy if they believe its a sound business decision. They'll be willing to lose customers to attract new ones who are willing to pay for an expanded room service menu. Its part of the new management strategy. So as they say, you can accept it or let your pocketbook do the talking and find a new cruise line. I hate online and email because you can often SOUND sarcastic or combative. I am just being realistic.

I think every company has the right to raise prices or add on fees. My feelings, however, are that those who had already booked/purchased should be grandfathered in so that they actually get/receive what they believed they were getting when they booked/purchased. Anyone who then booked AFTER the increase or add on fees then should know about them and be subject to them. I'm no lawyer, LOL....but that's how I feel.

Harriet

Thing is even with adequate notice I would still be feeling the same way that I feel now.

Also, at some point, you have to be willing to accept that they will not be changing this policy if they believe its a sound business decision. They'll be willing to lose customers to attract new ones who are willing to pay for an expanded room service menu. Its part of the new management strategy. So as they say, you can accept it or let your pocketbook do the talking and find a new cruise line. I hate online and email because you can often SOUND sarcastic or combative. I am just being realistic.

The only thing that this has changed for me (of course I can't speak to others) is that I will no longer give NCL preference over the competition. They've lost my goodwill in that regard.

The only thing that this has changed for me (of course I can't speak to others) is that I will no longer give NCL preference over the competition. They've lost my goodwill in that regard.

If they did you so wrongly, why would you give them 'preference'? Why would you even give them your cruise fare willingly even if they were cheapest, knowing their policies? I love to vacation too but even I have my dignity and boundaries / limits....

This is how I feel, too. With all the recent changes coming so quickly together, and in the manner they did so, I have lost a little bit of the respect I once had for NCL. From now on, I won't run to them as the one and only choice, but am looking into other options, as well. I'm certainly not swearing off NCL and they certainly may come out as the better choice on occasion. I do like the suite life and it seems there are few options that suit my needs like NCL does, but I am now more wiling to see what else is out there. I'm sure they won't have any problem finding some newbie to take my spot, but they are hurting their brand loyalty.

I believe he's saying they no longer get preference. And that's about all you can do over complaining to them. Let them know you no longer have their preference and then make the decision that's best for you in terms of choosing your next cruise. NCL is looking out for its own best interest and hopefully that is providing a better customer experience for its current and future clientele. Again, that may cause some people to go elsewhere. But in my opinion, its a better course of action that staying the same and not raising rates to keep up with costs/preferences. Those who adapt and embrace change survive in a customer service oriented business. Those who don't soon find no customers or at least not enough to drive them out of business. NCL doesn't want to go out of business. And if they stayed the same, they just might.

If they did you so wrongly, why would you give them 'preference'? Why would you even give them your cruise fare willingly even if they were cheapest, knowing their policies? I love to vacation too but even I have my dignity and boundaries / limits....

Because what they did wasn't "so wrongly" that it would keep me from sailing with them. I do know that others have cancelled their cruise but I haven't and NCL would have to work really hard to get me to cancel a booked cruise. As I said, they have lost my goodwill and if they want to earn my business in the future they will have to do it with price and price alone.

John, you do realize that there is a better chance of the Pope converting to Islam than people on here changing their mind once their opinions are formed, right? That should be obvious on here, even for a lawyer. ;)

Colin

You are probably correct.

But, hope springs eternal that the public will return to yesteryear and form opinions based upon "facts" not "feelings".

John

This is how I feel, too. With all the recent changes coming so quickly together, and in the manner they did so, I have lost a little bit of the respect I once had for NCL. From now on, I won't run to them as the one and only choice, but am looking into other options, as well. I'm certainly not swearing off NCL and they certainly may come out as the better choice on occasion. I do like the suite life and it seems there are few options that suit my needs like NCL does, but I am now more wiling to see what else is out there. I'm sure they won't have any problem finding some newbie to take my spot, but they are hurting their brand loyalty.

I believe both of you have reached the only possible conclusion using logic and reason to understand what has happened and how to respond in the future.

Ah, yes. I get it now. Not enough coffee yet. Anyway, yes, I agree, I have no loyalty in this game because this will only be my second cruise. But I will say I agree, the best course of action is to choose based on what's best for you. You still have dignity with that. And they have not wronged you so bad that you should abandon them completely. I don't think they have really wronged anyone here. Just made a bad decision in how to implement their changes.

I don't think they have wronged anyone, that it is the end of the world. Did they go about announcing some of the changes, in more than a stupid way...yes. What I don't get, is that some on here don't want anyone posting their opinions if they disagree with them. I'm thinking because, they only want NCL to see posts on here that trash them and their decisions. Many have posted that they don't really care if there is a charge for room service and some saying they would purchase it because there is hot food on the menu now. If you look back over the posts on all the threads, it seems pretty even of those that feel they have been wronged versus those that either don't care or like the idea of hot food, even if it comes with an additional cost.

None of us know what is going to happen. The test might fail and we will not hear another word about it or it might have been a huge success and it will be implemented fleet wide, with hopes that NCL does a better job in announcing the change.

Some have said they will remove or reduce their DSC, some will no longer cruise with NCL, some will willingly pay the room service fee, some will not give NCL preference, some will continue to cruise with NCL, etc. It is all about how one feels about the changes and what choice they will make.

I feel that the changes NCL is making is all about choices as well. If you don't want to pay the room service fee (if the change is implemented fleet wide), you don't have to have room service. If you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity for specialty dining, you don't have to go to one of the restaurants. I personally would rather that NCL keep their prices down at a reasonable cost and offer choices on how I want to spend my money, then to raise their prices to include a lot of things.

The prices of goods and services that NCL uses have certainly gone up over the years and those increases have to be paid for. I know many on here seem to believe that NCL should absorb these increase, but that isn't going to happen ever. Just like every other company in the world, the customer pays for everything....we pay for a company's overhead, we pay the salaries of their employees, we pay for the goods and services that they purchase and we pay for whatever profit the company makes and for anyone to think differently, they might want to research how business works. NCL has to raise prices, that is a fact, and another fact is that we as customers have to pay for them. Some would rather NCL raise their fares, so that everything is included, while others, like me, would rather they raise items where we can pick and choose how we want to spend our money.

People have to keep in mind, the choice is always in your hands, as no one can make you spend your money on anything....it is always your choice to do so.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't think they have wronged anyone, that it is the end of the world. Did they go about announcing some of the changes, in more than a stupid way...yes. What I don't get, is that some on here don't want anyone posting their opinions if they disagree with them. I'm thinking because, they only want NCL to see posts on here that trash them and their decisions. Many have posted that they don't really care if there is a charge for room service and some saying they would purchase it because there is hot food on the menu now. If you look back over the posts on all the threads, it seems pretty even of those that feel they have been wronged versus those that either don't care or like the idea of hot food, even if it comes with an additional cost.

None of us know what is going to happen. The test might fail and we will not hear another word about it or it might have been a huge success and it will be implemented fleet wide, with hopes that NCL does a better job in announcing the change.

Some have said they will remove or reduce their DSC, some will no longer cruise with NCL, some will willingly pay the room service fee, some will not give NCL preference, some will continue to cruise with NCL, etc. It is all about how one feels about the changes and what choice they will make.

I feel that the changes NCL is making is all about choices as well. If you don't want to pay the room service fee (if the change is implemented fleet wide), you don't have to have room service. If you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity for specialty dining, you don't have to go to one of the restaurants. I personally would rather that NCL keep their prices down at a reasonable cost and offer choices on how I want to spend my money, then to raise their prices to include a lot of things.

The prices of goods and services that NCL uses have certainly gone up over the years and those increases have to be paid for. I know many on here seem to believe that NCL should absorb these increase, but that isn't going to happen ever. Just like every other company in the world, the customer pays for everything....we pay for a company's overhead, we pay the salaries of their employees, we pay for the goods and services that they purchase and we pay for whatever profit the company makes and for anyone to think differently, they might want to research how business works. NCL has to raise prices, that is a fact, and another fact is that we as customers have to pay for them. Some would rather NCL raise their fares, so that everything is included, while others, like me, would rather they raise items where we can pick and choose how we want to spend our money.

People have to keep in mind, the choice is always in your hands, as no one can make you spend your money on anything....it is always your choice to do so.

You wrote that alot more nicely and elegantly than I ever could - Thank you.

That is all true. But NCL had a great deal of goodwill built up with me that was to their benefit. When it was time to book a cruise they had the edge even if their fare was a little higher than the other guy's. They have lost that now. Doesn't mean their cruises suck or they are a bad company or their product is inferior. It just means that they have to work harder to earn my business, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree that NCL has to cover rising costs. They have been doing quite a bit of that recently.

A hike in the DSC (8% rise for non-suite; 25% for suites:eek:) (which they instituted 'honourably').

Raising drinks prices by I gather about 7% (fair enough) and raising drinks gratuity to 18% (a 20%+ hike including the %age rise in drinks) - not so keen on that one - not quite so honourable.

Introducing the 18% gratuity in speciality restaurants (without any warning - not honourable) only offset by removing the Asian restaurant to a free one.

Introducing the $7.95 Room Service delivery charge with no warning and directly contradicting their advertising materials (not honourable and possibly criminal).

Notice the trend towards dis-honourability.They have lost my goodwill and trust.

If I am deciding on a cruise then I make dollar decisions based on fare and what is included, time of year, itinerary, value to me of any perks (including Platinum perks) etc.. The intangible part of the decision is based on trust, previous experience and reputation. NCL's trust and reputation has taken a big nose-dive recently in my estimation.

Edited by SteveH2508

Just saw that Carnival is going to run the same 'test'...

a limited room service menu for free, and more 'hot' items will incur a charge

FYI, to best of our knowledge not the same test, as on the two NCL ships ALL room service orders, no matter how big or small, or "old" or "new" or "hot," will attract the $4.95/$7.95 convenience fee. Apparently on Carnival, at least some of the old free stuff will remain free, but there will be a charge for the newer, hotter stuff.

Just pointing this out as there's been a lot of misunderstanding about this. Hopefully as reports filter back from those coming off GA today and BA tomorrow, the complete picture will emerge.