Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

The law is very clear, one party can not unilaterally change the terms of the offer once the contract is executed.

If the unilateral change is involves a term that has been advertised to induce the other party to enter the contract (free room service between 5am and 11pm) it becomes false advertising, fraud in the inducement, deceptive practices, and/or host of other names used in different jurisdiction.

That means the other party can choose to cancel the contract or enforce the original terms, at his sole discretion and, in intentional cases, punish the perp.

If you feel so strongly, then why not file a class action suit.

There you go again, recommending legal action. Do you get a percentage of all the cases you refer?
When someone accuses a company of breaking the law, then they should man-up and follow through with an attorney, instead of just making comments on here. But you know that no one will, because they know they can't win. Edited by NLH Arizona

If you feel so strongly, then why not file a class action suit.

Because a class action law suit is only when ascertaining the people injured is so large its difficult or impossible to list. Here the people who's rights have been violated are only those on the Getway and Breakaway who were booked before the surcharge and can not cancel the cruise without penalty.

Also, the easiest way to redress the problem is my post many pages ago. Contest any charges on the On Board Account and serve written notice NCL is not authorized to add it to the credit card. Then contest the charge with the credit car company

Because a class action law suit is only when ascertaining the people injured is so large its difficult or impossible to list. Here the people who's rights have been violated are only those on the Getway and Breakaway who were booked before the surcharge and can not cancel the cruise without penalty.

Also, the easiest way to redress the problem is my post many pages ago. Contest any charges on the On Board Account and serve written notice NCL is not authorized to add it to the credit card. Then contest the charge with the credit car company

Or don't order room service!!!!!

Have a good night!

There you go again, recommending legal action. Do you get a percentage of all the cases you refer?

Want to know why? Because you keep stating something along these lines(I pulled these that didn't have much back forth chaining in them):

A contract was entered into when the deposit was made. At that time, room service was included. NCL has made a unilateral change in the contract, which it cannot legally do. As proof, I suggest you research what happened when they tried to add a fuel surcharge. All the cruise lines were required to refund that money because it was not part of the contract between the passenger and the cruise line.

As to how NCL will keep tract of who purchased the cruise before the room service fee was imposed, that is NCL's problem. Just like with the DSC they will have to do it.

Verbal contracts are just as binding as written contracts, just harder to prove. The contract was entered into when the passenger accepted the offer and agreed to the terms by paying the deposit. The contract was not fulfilled until the cruise is over and the on board account is settled.

If it doesn't bother you, why are you so hung up on the contract?

Here a shrug for you (and a funny one for those that are tired of responding to him, lol):

tumblr_ljkeuyjp1a1qafrh6.gif?1318992465

Edited by maywell

Wondering since you say you have no skin in the game, do you get a percentage from NCL's competition for all the passengers that go to them, because of the room service charge?

Who are you serving this written notice on? Write it on looseleaf paper and hand it to customer service before you leave? (Not arguing, just legitimately curious). I suspect the new room service is going to require you to sign for it when they drop it off (maybe like the specialties). Won't signing for it defeat this? I'm planning on just adjusting my DSC down to make up the difference but would certainly rather contest it through my credit card if I can.

Looks like Carnival is adding a number of "for fee" items to their room service menu beginning on April 12. They're testing it on just a few ship's. Still no hot breakfast items though.

Yes, Carnival is showing everyone how it should be done. If they did this to capitalize on the huge blunder NCL has made here that is a brilliant move by them. I've never tried a Carnival Ship, just NCL, X, and RCCL, but I think I may have to try one.

Better start saving up quarters. It's going to start costing each time you use the potty sonn too

I'll just use the $12 Per day I don't feel the need to donate to the DSC anymore since they are extracting in a different way now.

At least Carnival is keeping most of the same free room service menu items for free delivery (sandwiches, salad, desserts), including cold breakfast items (smoked salmon, bagels, cereal, muffins, toast, fruit slices etc) and only charging for new hot ones delivered like pizza, wings and fries and some other things. Still free 24 hr pizza/softserve icecream on Lido and snack buffet at 11:30pm to 12:30am on Lido (hot dogs, salad, fruit, cookies, chili etc)

Yes, Carnival is showing everyone how it should be done. If they did this to capitalize on the huge blunder NCL has made here that is a brilliant move by them. I've never tried a Carnival Ship, just NCL, X, and RCCL, but I think I may have to try one.

I've done 2 with them and have a 3rd coming up next weekend.

At least Carnival is keeping most of the same free room service menu items for free delivery (sandwiches, salad, desserts), including cold breakfast items (smoked salmon, bagels, cereal, muffins, toast, fruit slices etc) and only charging for new hot ones delivered like pizza, wings and fries and some other things. Still free 24 hr pizza/softserve icecream on Lido and snack buffet at 11:30pm to 12:30am on Lido (hot dogs, salad, fruit, cookies, chili etc)

As I stated I'm not at all upset at Norwegian but this does sound pretty good I may need to give carnival a try

Who are you serving this written notice on? Write it on looseleaf paper and hand it to customer service before you leave? (Not arguing, just legitimately curious). I suspect the new room service is going to require you to sign for it when they drop it off (maybe like the specialties). Won't signing for it defeat this? I'm planning on just adjusting my DSC down to make up the difference but would certainly rather contest it through my credit card if I can.

I delighted you have an open mind and are not allowing pre conceived opinions to masquerade as facts.

NCL's legal problems with the overnight and unannounced imposition of room service surcharges, which had been advertised as FREE between 5am and 11 pm for a long time, was limited to those who booked cruises before the change:

a) and before the right to cancel without penalty, for sure.

b) and sailing date, probably.

When the news of the surcharge was reported from on board the Breakaway the rebellion began.

If I were on board the Breakaway or Getaway, I would have delivered a written note to the Service desk upon learning of the the new rule disavowing any liability for room service delivery charges between 5am and 11pm.

When they printed out my final On Board Statement, I would have submitted a copy, crossing out any such charges with the note: "You are not authorized to charge this to my credit card."

Initially, NCL did the CYA of saying it only applied to the two trial runs on the Breakaway and Getaway,

Within 12 hours, NCL's website was udergoing subtle CYA additions:

(e.g. adding verbiage to every ship in fleet: comp room service "subject to convenience charge".

Unless you had taken a screen shot, you would never know that this addition was made after the firestorm eruption and was done to protect NCL from being accused of legal violations for all ships beyond Breakaway and Getaway.

Any trial lawyer would say this, after the fact, CYA and is proof of illegal conduct when compared with what NCL did last month with the increased Daily Service Charge. They specifically grandfathered existing bookings and only applied it to new bookings.

The differences between the two actions constitutes what the law calls "an admission against interest."

In the best light to NCL they can now extend the new room service surcharge fleetwide for all bookings on or after April 1, 2015, if they choose to do so.

What's still up in the air (and impacts me as a Suite Only customer) is the website specifically continues to give free room service to "Haven Suites" between 5am - 11pm.

Haven Suites applies to ALL suites, regardless of deck location, on Epic, Breakaway, Getaway & Escape.

Haven Suites applies only to suites located on the Haven (fomer Courtyard) deck and not suites on other decks for Jewel, Gem, Jade & Pearl

There is no Haven (or Courtyard) on the Sky, Sun, Star, & Spirit.

If the program expands fleet wide what happens to the Suite bookings?

I have an Owner's Suite booked on the Sun in October, but there is no Haven on the Sun . Do I get free Room Service?

I have a Penthouse Suite on the Escape, not located on Haven deck but with access to Haven deck in November. Do I get free Room Service?

The entire saga is not yet played out.

I thank you for asking serious questions and not posting personal opinions as aboslute fact.

I hope my comments at least help formulate the correct questions, yet to be answered.

Edited by Uniall

Having just got caught up with the thread I realize no one gave you a truthful answer to your earlier question (post#1271). The one answer you received appears to be tongue in cheek.

Coffee makers are available in balcony cabin and above on all ships. If you are in and inside or oceanview cabin you can always try requesting one from your cabin steward. They have been known to provide them if available.

On ships with solo studios there is coffee available in the studio lounge.

Rochelle

I for one welcome hot breakfast items in non suite accommodations fee or no fee. This will not change how I cruise at all, for those on such a tight budget perhaps cruising with ncl is not for you

*Living large one week at a time*

For the love people. It's done. Stop arguing or sue them. Just deal with it already. Holy cow! I don't have the patience to scroll through 5000 pages of people freaking out- did the actual offending menus every get posted in a legible manner?? That's what I'm interested in seeing...

Very interesting reading this. With the recent fuel price decrease what were NCL thinking or not. The additional revenue from the cost of foel must be sizeable and then you introduce this charge......what a PR howl up.

What is the COSTof providing room service

To the poster who said he is subsidising those that use iroom service - sorry mate you do not make sense By your argument if you do not use the waterslide why are you subsidising them? They get it free! Must hurt you to pay for them,. Oh if someone uses more soap than .... See where I acoming from the cost of room service is built in to the cruise fare. It makes no difference who uses it. Basic financial modelling BTW as some one else said the staff were not paid as they hoped to get cash tips. That in itself is an issue as the Uk and some Europeans do not pay tips on a free service

I do not have a horse in this race as I am not currently booked on an NCL cruise, therefore I do not have a cause for complaint or action - filing lawsuits is generally an action for the terminally stupid - that I am not.

We have no cruise booked at present, but we are looking at Princess, HAL and P&O in preference to NCL (for several reasons) even though we have Platinum perks (being diluted as we speak) with NCL.

The point that many seem to be missing is that letting NCL mess with the advertised deals in this manner is to condone being ripped off - where/when will it end?

I am not one of those sheeples that just blithely suck up whatever the corporate world sees fit to throw at me - I shall make an informed choice - the problem here was people on GW and BW did not get their informed choice - YMMV however.

I have been looking for a trip April May time frame for a filler, Spirit and Jade were on the list, a bit more than the Jan trip we took but OK value. probably around £400-£500 with flights, only inside available at sensible prices. I know the extra costs and we have platinum so can manage without the UDP or UBP.

Now looking at some MSC/Costa options 11nights with flights from £250.

Princess have broken ranks(there seems to be price cartel) and started dropping prices on ex UK and P&O are having the odd offer under £50pppd

the best X deal seems to be Constellation 22April Med.

THere are going to be loads of deals for UK cruisers this year.

Edited by insidecabin

Celebrity does not charge for room Service. For breakfast you can order hot items such as eggs your way, omlettes, pancakes, etc. For dinner you can order room service off the MDR menu during dinner hours at no charge. Some will say that Celebrity cost more but you get more. They now have promotions that include free drinks and added SBC.

NCL goes overboard, pardon the pun, on extra fees. I'll stick with X.

Celebrity does not charge for room Service. For breakfast you can order hot items such as eggs your way, omlettes, pancakes, etc. For dinner you can order room service off the MDR menu during dinner hours at no charge. Some will say that Celebrity cost more but you get more. They now have promotions that include free drinks and added SBC.

Ahh OK Bye . :rolleyes:

I delighted you have an open mind and are not allowing pre conceived opinions to masquerade as facts.

NCL's legal problems with the overnight and unannounced imposition of room service surcharges, which had been advertised as FREE between 5am and 11 pm for a long time, was limited to those who booked cruises before the change:

a) and before the right to cancel without penalty, for sure.

b) and sailing date, probably.

When the news of the surcharge was reported from on board the Breakaway the rebellion began.

If I were on board the Breakaway or Getaway, I would have delivered a written note to the Service desk upon learning of the the new rule disavowing any liability for room service delivery charges between 5am and 11pm.

When they printed out my final On Board Statement, I would have submitted a copy, crossing out any such charges with the note: "You are not authorized to charge this to my credit card."

Initially, NCL did the CYA of saying it only applied to the two trial runs on the Breakaway and Getaway,

Within 12 hours, NCL's website was udergoing subtle CYA additions:

(e.g. adding verbiage to every ship in fleet: comp room service "subject to convenience charge".

Unless you had taken a screen shot, you would never know that this addition was made after the firestorm eruption and was done to protect NCL from being accused of legal violations for all ships beyond Breakaway and Getaway.

Any trial lawyer would say this, after the fact, CYA and is proof of illegal conduct when compared with what NCL did last month with the increased Daily Service Charge. They specifically grandfathered existing bookings and only applied it to new bookings.

The differences between the two actions constitutes what the law calls "an admission against interest."

In the best light to NCL they can now extend the new room service surcharge fleetwide for all bookings on or after April 1, 2015, if they choose to do so.

What's still up in the air (and impacts me as a Suite Only customer) is the website specifically continues to give free room service to "Haven Suites" between 5am - 11pm.

Haven Suites applies to ALL suites, regardless of deck location, on Epic, Breakaway, Getaway & Escape.

Haven Suites applies only to suites located on the Haven (fomer Courtyard) deck and not suites on other decks for Jewel, Gem, Jade & Pearl

There is no Haven (or Courtyard) on the Sky, Sun, Star, & Spirit.

If the program expands fleet wide what happens to the Suite bookings?

I have an Owner's Suite booked on the Sun in October, but there is no Haven on the Sun . Do I get free Room Service?

I have a Penthouse Suite on the Escape, not located on Haven deck but with access to Haven deck in November. Do I get free Room Service?

The entire saga is not yet played out.

I thank you for asking serious questions and not posting personal opinions as aboslute fact.

I hope my comments at least help formulate the correct questions, yet to be answered.

Thanks.

Okay, have a fun time at X. *shrug*