Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

I think every company has the right to raise prices or add on fees. My feelings, however, are that those who had already booked/purchased should be grandfathered in so that they actually get/receive what they believed they were getting when they booked/purchased. Anyone who then booked AFTER the increase or add on fees then should know about them and be subject to them. I'm no lawyer, LOL....but that's how I feel.

Harriet

This is the whole point of this thread. Nobody disagrees that NCL has the right to increase fees. However, it is limited to advance notice. You cannot increase the fees without prior notice.

I was booked on Jetblue a while back. When I checked in they wanted to charge me a checked bag fee. I pointed out that I bought my ticket before the fee was announced. The person checked, agreed I was right, and didn't charge me the checked bag fee.

NCL should not be charging a room service fee to anyone who booked prior to the announced fee. It is as simple as that.

So far the only website and PCC info is free room service for Haven Suites.

Will I get free room service in my Sun Owner's suite since the Sun does not have a Haven.

Will I get free Room Service in an Escape Penthouse that is not located in the Haven but has access to the Haven?

Will I get free Room Service in a Jewel Penthouse which is not located in the Haven (Formerly Courtyard) and does not have access to Haven ?

What is the source of your info?

Being that it has been stated in numerous places that the charge is only on the Breakaway and Getaway, it is obvious that your room service will be free on the Sun, Escape, and Jewel...regardless of your stateroom type.

Unless, of course, you can cite evidence plainly stating that you definitely will be charged the new room service fee on these ships.

A question, was it because NCL instituted these new charges and/or price increase or was it because of the way they went about it (without announcing them, etc.), that lost your goodwill?

Now you are beginning to get it.

I have followed this thread with interest, since I will be sailing on the BA in June and wanted to stay informed of the ever-changing policies and fees. This must be a record for the number of responses (here and other threads as well on the same topic). I take part in several discussion forums and have never seen one topic generate so much contention and interest. I hope that NCL is paying attention (though sadly, I doubt it). This is my first cruise with NCL. I can't say it will be my last because I want to reserve judgement until I leave the ship to come home. I have paid in full already, so can't change much now. However, I have decided not to spend any more money towards extras on the ship. There will be no specialty dining. I will not purchase the VIBE Passes I was originally considering. And I will not be booking the Cirque. I will not be booking any excursions on board. I will still tip the bartender an extra dollar for my drinks (I have the UBP). They work hard and there's no reason to make them take the brunt of the company's decision. They most certainly won't be seeing any increase in pay due to the increased fees. Most importantly, I also intend to make the best of the cruise and have a good time.:)

FYI, to best of our knowledge not the same test, as on the two NCL ships ALL room service orders, no matter how big or small, or "old" or "new" or "hot," will attract the $4.95/$7.95 convenience fee. Apparently on Carnival, at least some of the old free stuff will remain free, but there will be a charge for the newer, hotter stuff.

Just pointing this out as there's been a lot of misunderstanding about this. Hopefully as reports filter back from those coming off GA today and BA tomorrow, the complete picture will emerge.

Not the same, true, but they are going to find a way to charge people who like room service, just like hotels do. They add a service charge in some form or another and in some cases expect the service charge to be separate from grutiuties. It is time we all accept the industry is changing just like the airline industrey. Heck I just checked in for my flight tomorow and was asked if I wanted to pay an additonal $15 just to be in group 1 boarding the plane. How is that for extra charge, not to mention paying $30 for a premium seat which is anything other than the middle one.

I just wonder if NCL is trying to discourage people from ordering room service. Time will tell. If request drop off considerably due to the new charge they may just discontinue it altogether.

If that was their goal, they wouldn't need a test and they wouldn't have two different price points.

They want to see which one generates more income. If 300 people order room service at $7.95 each, that totals $2,385. If 500 people order room service at $4.95 each, that totals $2,475. So they would use the lower price because it generates more revenue.

Being that it has been stated in numerous places that the charge is only on the Breakaway and Getaway, it is obvious that your room service will be free on the Sun, Escape, and Jewel...regardless of your stateroom type.

Unless, of course, you can cite evidence plainly stating that you definitely will be charged the new room service fee on these ships.

That is why it is called a "test". Just like McDonalds test markets new items to see how people react. Of course Coke tried that a while back it lead to this famous line ...

"The truth is we're not that dumb, and we are not that smart"

Edited by Cuizer2

Yes, there is evidence that they intend to extend the room service fee fleet wide. As I mentioned in 3 or 4 prior posts, when the rebellion began on Cruise Critic, NCL started adding new wording on its website: subject to convenience charge except for Haven Suites.

Different classes of ships have differing suites, some Haven and some no Haven

Yes, there is evidence that they intend to extend the room service fee fleet wide. As I mentioned in 3 or 4 prior posts, when the rebellion began on Cruise Critic, NCL started adding new wording on its website: subject to convenience charge except for Haven Suites.

Because NCL knows that a couple of posters here will figure out a way to drive a truck right that loophole if they didn't patch that website right away. So if you have the old wording from website saved, by all means use it.

Because NCL knows that a couple of posters here will figure out a way to drive a truck right that loophole if they didn't patch that website right away. So if you have the old wording from website saved, by all means use it.

I did save it and I posted both versions on this thread many pages ago.

So...in other words, NO...you can't cite a source plainly stating that you definitely will be charged the new room service fee on the Sun, Escape, or Jewel.

So what exactly is the problem?

Not the same, true, but they are going to find a way to charge people who like room service, just like hotels do. They add a service charge in some form or another and in some cases expect the service charge to be separate from grutiuties. It is time we all accept the industry is changing just like the airline industrey. Heck I just checked in for my flight tomorow and was asked if I wanted to pay an additonal $15 just to be in group 1 boarding the plane. How is that for extra charge, not to mention paying $30 for a premium seat which is anything other than the middle one.

I agree with you. The issue is not will it happen, but how it was introduced. Nobody walked up to an airline counter and was greeted by the surprise news that, "We are now charging for checked bags, $25 for the first one and $35 for the second one. You owe us $60."

The airlines announced that as of this date ... Anyone buying a ticket prior to that date didn't have to pay the fee. Anyone buying a ticket after that date did. Those who never checked any bags were not affected either way.

As Maywell will tell you, checking luggage is optional. You don't have to do it. Your seat price did not change. You can still fly. You just can't take any luggage. Your choice.

So...in other words, NO...you can't cite a source plainly stating that you definitely will be charged the new room service fee on the Sun, Escape, or Jewel.

So what exactly is the problem?

Can you cite a source that said the passengers on the Getaway and the Breakaway would get charged for room service prior to boarding? Based on past history, one can only assume that NCL will sneak the room service charge onto the Sun, the Escape and Jewel in the same manner.

Edited by Cuizer2

As my mother used to say..."it is not only what you say but how you say it" S o NCL.."it is not what you do but how you do it"...changes should be made in a way that you respect your loyal and already booked customers and be respectful enough to communicate with your customers what changes are being made (if it were not for CC..I would not have known about ANY of the recent changes/cost increases)

Now you are beginning to get it.
Get what, I don't get anything you are saying. I simply asked a question of another poster, to see where they were coming from. I had no preconceived notions as to their answer nor did their answer have any bearing on my opinion with regards to the issues or change my way of thinking.

So far the only website and PCC info is free room service for Haven Suites.

Will I get free room service in my Sun Owner's suite since the Sun does not have a Haven.

Will I get free Room Service in an Escape Penthouse that is not located in the Haven but has access to the Haven?

Will I get free Room Service in a Jewel Penthouse which is not located in the Haven (Formerly Courtyard) and does not have access to Haven ?

What is the source of your info?

I know definitely suites at this point cannot speak to a PH...I cannot say my source but believe me it is true..I never post anything that I dont know positively..check my posts on Oceania Board

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

I have 22 of us booked on the Escape for January. The changes coming down the pike don't bode very well for what is to come. This would be our first NCL cruise, but now I'm too afraid that we're getting the bate and switch. I'm going to start looking for another cruise.

If there is going to be a "Room Service Charge" fine, but lets make it apply to every category and room. Haven, Suites, and all the rest. Just like it was in their "your cruise includes", it was also included in my lowly B6 "your cruise includes" when I booked!!!! So why not just make it even across the board?????

I have 22 of us booked on the Escape for January. The changes coming down the pike don't bode very well for what is to come. This would be our first NCL cruise' date=' but now I'm too afraid that we're getting the bate and switch. I'm going to start looking for another cruise.[/quote']Well, the good thing for you is that you can cancel now and you won't lose a dime.

I know definitely suites at this point cannot speak to a PH...I cannot say my source but believe me it is true..I never post anything that I dont know positively..check my posts on Oceania Board

Jancruz1

I hope this is true and I know the new language in the Room Service FAQ says that suites and the Haven are exempt, but can you explain why this bullet was added at the same time to the FAQ on what's NOT included in the cruise fare? "Convenience Charge for Room Service on non-Haven Suites"

http://www.ncl.com/faq/cruise-fare-includes