Room Service No Longer Free - NCL Starts $7.95 Charge Per Order

doggfan7

Now with the room service fee the automatic gratuity in the specialty restaurants the fact that I will probably purchase many specialty meals and other added fees I just have to take into account what is the total price really going to be on NCL and calculate that before I make my decision on whether NCL is a better deal than carnival or another line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

That is all true. But NCL had a great deal of goodwill built up with me that was to their benefit. When it was time to book a cruise they had the edge even if their fare was a little higher than the other guy's. They have lost that now. Doesn't mean their cruises suck or they are a bad company or their product is inferior. It just means that they have to work harder to earn my business, nothing more and nothing less.
A question, was it because NCL instituted these new charges and/or price increase or was it because of the way they went about it (without announcing them, etc.), that lost your goodwill?

A question, was it because NCL instituted these new charges and/or price increase or was it because of the way they went about it (without announcing them, etc.), that lost your goodwill?

As I have stated in several posts, it is their method of implementation that smacks of sharp practice and dodgy dealing - that is my main objection.

It's been a long line of events starting with the interview Del Rio gave. It didn't help the way they rolled the latest change out but I'm not sure that my feelings would be different had they announced it before implementing it.

It's been a long line of events starting with the interview Del Rio gave. It didn't help the way they rolled the latest change out but I'm not sure that my feelings would be different had they announced it before implementing it.
Thanks for the answer.

I for one welcome hot breakfast items in non suite accommodations fee or no fee. This will not change how I cruise at all, for those on such a tight budget perhaps cruising with ncl is not for you

*Living large one week at a time*

Thank you, I am glad someone else said it

I am booked on the Breakaway in May.

The fee will not influence my use of room service; nor will it effect my practice of a cash tip to the server.

It will however effect my overall end-of-cruise satisfaction rating as a negative.

It has already damaged the "good will' NCL has worked hard at building up with us.

This was a stupid move in my opinion since it "drills below the water line" on the overall cruise experience. Room service has always been a treat with us; something from NCL. Making it fee based cheapens the entire cruise experience by making it just another purchase.

I am a little confused -- I do understand the charge for the room service enhanced menu although I am not pleased with it - but what happens if you order lunch or a snack is there an additional fee ?? Or is it only for breakfast

They could charge $20 to get a guaranteed view from a lifeboat and there's going to be 3 or 4 people here who would act like NCL just did them the world's biggest favor.

Really? Another they could charge for this or they could charge for that post? let's just deal with what they are charging for not what they could be charging for.

Really? Another they could charge for this or they could charge for that post? let's just deal with what they are charging for not what they could be charging for.

If you're too cheap to pay the lifeboat guaranteed seat fee, you are too poor to keep living.

I am a little confused -- I do understand the charge for the room service enhanced menu although I am not pleased with it - but what happens if you order lunch or a snack is there an additional fee ?? Or is it only for breakfast

Its anytime you order (doesn't matter the amount of food).

This is very simple: If you call room service, for anything, there is a fee.

You can not call room service and get anything "free" included with your cruisefare anymore, unless you are in the Haven or a Suite.

FYI, to best of our knowledge not the same test, as on the two NCL ships ALL room service orders, no matter how big or small, or "old" or "new" or "hot," will attract the $4.95/$7.95 convenience fee. Apparently on Carnival, at least some of the old free stuff will remain free, but there will be a charge for the newer, hotter stuff.

Just pointing this out as there's been a lot of misunderstanding about this. Hopefully as reports filter back from those coming off GA today and BA tomorrow, the complete picture will emerge.

I looked at the new room service menu on the Carnival boards and it looks like they're going to charge by item for some of the new additions. You're right, it isn't the same "test". If you were to order 2 or 3 of these items it would be more than the fee NCL is charging. If it works for Carnival I wouldn't be at all surprised if NCL's plan doesn't evolve into something similar and then other cruise lines may try to implement the same plan.

I just wonder if NCL is trying to discourage people from ordering room service. Time will tell. If request drop off considerably due to the new charge they may just discontinue it altogether.

I delighted you have an open mind and are not allowing pre conceived opinions to masquerade as facts.

NCL's legal problems with the overnight and unannounced imposition of room service surcharges, which had been advertised as FREE between 5am and 11 pm for a long time, was limited to those who booked cruises before the change:

a) and before the right to cancel without penalty, for sure.

b) and sailing date, probably.

When the news of the surcharge was reported from on board the Breakaway the rebellion began.

If I were on board the Breakaway or Getaway, I would have delivered a written note to the Service desk upon learning of the the new rule disavowing any liability for room service delivery charges between 5am and 11pm.

When they printed out my final On Board Statement, I would have submitted a copy, crossing out any such charges with the note: "You are not authorized to charge this to my credit card."

Initially, NCL did the CYA of saying it only applied to the two trial runs on the Breakaway and Getaway,

Within 12 hours, NCL's website was udergoing subtle CYA additions:

(e.g. adding verbiage to every ship in fleet: comp room service "subject to convenience charge".

Unless you had taken a screen shot, you would never know that this addition was made after the firestorm eruption and was done to protect NCL from being accused of legal violations for all ships beyond Breakaway and Getaway.

Any trial lawyer would say this, after the fact, CYA and is proof of illegal conduct when compared with what NCL did last month with the increased Daily Service Charge. They specifically grandfathered existing bookings and only applied it to new bookings.

The differences between the two actions constitutes what the law calls "an admission against interest."

In the best light to NCL they can now extend the new room service surcharge fleetwide for all bookings on or after April 1, 2015, if they choose to do so.

What's still up in the air (and impacts me as a Suite Only customer) is the website specifically continues to give free room service to "Haven Suites" between 5am - 11pm.

Haven Suites applies to ALL suites, regardless of deck location, on Epic, Breakaway, Getaway & Escape.

Haven Suites applies only to suites located on the Haven (fomer Courtyard) deck and not suites on other decks for Jewel, Gem, Jade & Pearl

There is no Haven (or Courtyard) on the Sky, Sun, Star, & Spirit.

If the program expands fleet wide what happens to the Suite bookings?

I have an Owner's Suite booked on the Sun in October, but there is no Haven on the Sun . Do I get free Room Service?

I have a Penthouse Suite on the Escape, not located on Haven deck but with access to Haven deck in November. Do I get free Room Service?

The entire saga is not yet played out.

I thank you for asking serious questions and not posting personal opinions as aboslute fact.

I hope my comments at least help formulate the correct questions, yet to be answered.

Yes, you will get free room service

Jancruz1

When someone accuses a company of breaking the law, then they should man-up and follow through with an attorney, instead of just making comments on here. But you know that no one will, because they know they can't win.

Do you file a lawsuit against everyone you notice speeding?

Want to know why? Because you keep stating something along these lines(I pulled these that didn't have much back forth chaining in them):

If it doesn't bother you, why are you so hung up on the contract?

Here a shrug for you (and a funny one for those that are tired of responding to him, lol):

tumblr_ljkeuyjp1a1qafrh6.gif?1318992465

Right back at you ...

shrug-9.gif

I looked at the new room service menu on the Carnival boards and it looks like they're going to charge by item for some of the new additions. You're right, it isn't the same "test". If you were to order 2 or 3 of these items it would be more than the fee NCL is charging. If it works for Carnival I wouldn't be at all surprised if NCL's plan doesn't evolve into something similar and then other cruise lines may try to implement the same plan.

I just wonder if NCL is trying to discourage people from ordering room service. Time will tell. If request drop off considerably due to the new charge they may just discontinue it altogether.

My memory tells me that NCL already had a room service menu that had both free items and surcharge items.

Looks like Carnival is adding a number of "for fee" items to their room service menu beginning on April 12. They're testing it on just a few ship's. Still no hot breakfast items though.

You mean they are giving advance notice? What a ground breaking idea! Maybe NCL should give that a try some time.

Yes, you will get free room service

Jancruz1

So far the only website and PCC info is free room service for Haven Suites.

Will I get free room service in my Sun Owner's suite since the Sun does not have a Haven.

Will I get free Room Service in an Escape Penthouse that is not located in the Haven but has access to the Haven?

Will I get free Room Service in a Jewel Penthouse which is not located in the Haven (Formerly Courtyard) and does not have access to Haven ?

What is the source of your info?