World Record - Congratulations Oasis of the Seas

Actually I believe you moved the decimal place in the wrong direction to get your % as it is 0.0138% of the length since that's what you get when 50mm is divided by 362,102 mm (1188ft X 304.8mm/ft) and you move the decimal two to the right (multiple by 100) to get percentage.

We're still only discussing less than two inches difference.

That's what I get for not taking my shoes off to cipher that. :(

This I believe to be an urban myth. Shipbuilding, even given all of its automation these days, is still more art than science. Given the number of pieces required to be welded together to make the ship, no two ships even of the same class will be exactly equal in size. Considering that the difference of 50mm equates to 0.0000013% of the length of the ship, that is certainly within standard shipbuilding (and generally any manufacturing, including "rocket science") allowances. Ships can vary in length by an inch or so, just based on the temperature at the two times of measurement. In fact, doing a quick calculation, a ship the size of Allure will grow 20mm with a change in temperature from 68*F to 77*F.

As always, my good man, 110% correct!

Best to wear sandals when doing this. ;)

Don't know about Ontario, but folks look at you funny when you wear sandals this time of year here in Maine. Bean boots will still be de rigeur for quite a while into mud season.

Again, if correct, this is RCI PR. There are two different measures of ship length:

Length overall (LOA): defined as the length from the extreme forward end of the hull to the extreme after end of the hull. This is the ship's "official" length.

Overall length: (confusing enough?) This is the length from the forward most item on the ship to the aftermost item on the ship. This would include masts and azipod fairwater caps. This term is only significant in knowing what it is for docking between obstructions.

So, while the two Oasis class ships may trade "Overall length" honors back and forth, the official LOA measured at construction is the length of record.

Was there not once (maybe still) a "length between perpendiculars"?

I recall when Germany's "Imperator" added this big globe and eagle to the prow to make it longer!

USS_Imperator_World_War_I_SP-4080.jpg

Was there not once (maybe still) a "length between perpendiculars"?

I recall when Germany's "Imperator" added this big globe and eagle to the prow to make it longer!

You must be older than your avatar, if you "recall" this. :D

Length between perpendiculars is a measurement at the waterline. For ships with a raked stem, it is where the stem meets the "load waterline" (waterline at designed load). This length then goes back to the "stern post" (which is pretty archaic) or the rudder post. For ships with azipods, I'm not sure what constitutes the rudder post, though. For most ships, length between perpendiculars and waterline length are pretty synonymous.

Edited by chengkp75

Don't know about Ontario, but folks look at you funny when you wear sandals this time of year here in Maine. Bean boots will still be de rigeur for quite a while into mud season.

We just don't stay a long time in Ontario during boot season as we much prefer being in a sandal friendly climate, preferably on a cruise. We just got back from over a month stay down under as it was summer time there. Prior to that this winter it was Louisiana, Texas and Florida, mostly on cruise ship going even further south into warmer climates.

I tried to convince DW to do another two week southern Caribbean cruise early next month but she refused stating it was now warm enough here in Southern Ontario. IMO she didn't want to fly anytime soon after our 32 hours of travel from Perth, Western Australia. ;)

Edited by robtulipe

We just don't stay a long time in Ontario during boot season as we much prefer being in a sandal friendly climate, preferably on a cruise. We just got back from over a month stay down under as it was summer time there. Prior to that this winter it was Louisiana, Texas and Florida, mostly on cruise ship going even further south into warmer climates.

I tried to convince DW to do another two week southern Caribbean cruise early next month but she refused stating it was now warm enough here in Southern Ontario. IMO she didn't want to fly anytime soon after our 32 hours of travel from Perth, Western Australia. ;)

Oh, I know that pain. In the '80's I "commuted" every 4 weeks between Exmouth, WA and Maine. That got old in a hurry.

This I believe to be an urban myth. Shipbuilding, even given all of its automation these days, is still more art than science. Given the number of pieces required to be welded together to make the ship, no two ships even of the same class will be exactly equal in size. Considering that the difference of 50mm equates to 0.0000013% of the length of the ship, that is certainly within standard shipbuilding (and generally any manufacturing, including "rocket science") allowances. Ships can vary in length by an inch or so, just based on the temperature at the two times of measurement. In fact, doing a quick calculation, a ship the size of Allure will grow 20mm with a change in temperature from 68*F to 77*F.

True. I recall at the time it was said that Allure's measurement was made when it was warmer to enable this. Though that could have just been speculation as well.

Spent a fabulous time on this cruise even though it was more than 8K people on board, I didn't feel like it was jam pack with people around me. The only two times I was overwhelmed one was first formal night when everybody was lining up for pictures and when we were disembarking. Aside from that we try to stay away from WJ during peak time. Had breakfast at the MDR in the morning as I rather have my eggs made to order.

My wife and I were on this cruise and it was great.

At no time did I feel the ship was over crowded. We've been on Allure twice, and I couldn't tell any difference in crowding.

Sometimes at breakfast there was a line to get into the Windjammer, but the staff was quickly clearing off tables and seating people from the line. We also ate breakfast at the Wipeout Cafe and the Solarium Bistro. There are many breakfast options.

We ate at 5 different specialty restaurants and the service at all of them was exceptional. Izumi did have our reservation wrong, my email confirmation and stateroom tv said 7:00, but the restaurant had 6:00. We had to reschedule our meal, but they comp'ed us $60 for our hibachi meal, and comp'ed us Johnny Rockets for the night we missed. I asked for the Johnny Rockets meal, they probably would have comp'ed us any restaurant, but my wife and I didn't feel like dressing up.

The pool was busy, but no busier than any other cruise. The bar staff was great to me and I tipped an extra $1 every time; I had the premium package. After a while they started offering me bottles of water I didn't ask for, and shots of Patron tequila. Also, if one pool bar was too busy I just went to another one, there are 5. I found the bars on deck 16 often had no wait. People either didn't know they were there, or didn't want to walk up the stairs.

The only time we had a problem was disembarkation. This was a mess. We had luggage tag number 18 for a 9:15 disembarkation, and we 'might' have been off the ship at 11:00. We pulled away from the port at 11:45. This might have been a customs thing, but I was not happy. But I guess you're never happy when vacations over!

We enjoyed this cruise so much we booked Harmony of the Seas for December of 2016 while on board.

As always, you are absolutely correct. The slight Allure advantage was not intentional. What was said on the innaugural was just "my ship is bigger than yours" fodder. They knew it wasn't true.

My wife and I were on this cruise and it was great.

At no time did I feel the ship was over crowded. We've been on Allure twice, and I couldn't tell any difference in crowding.

Sometimes at breakfast there was a line to get into the Windjammer, but the staff was quickly clearing off tables and seating people from the line. We also ate breakfast at the Wipeout Cafe and the Solarium Bistro. There are many breakfast options.

We ate at 5 different specialty restaurants and the service at all of them was exceptional. Izumi did have our reservation wrong, my email confirmation and stateroom tv said 7:00, but the restaurant had 6:00. We had to reschedule our meal, but they comp'ed us $60 for our hibachi meal, and comp'ed us Johnny Rockets for the night we missed. I asked for the Johnny Rockets meal, they probably would have comp'ed us any restaurant, but my wife and I didn't feel like dressing up.

The pool was busy, but no busier than any other cruise. The bar staff was great to me and I tipped an extra $1 every time; I had the premium package. After a while they started offering me bottles of water I didn't ask for, and shots of Patron tequila. Also, if one pool bar was too busy I just went to another one, there are 5. I found the bars on deck 16 often had no wait. People either didn't know they were there, or didn't want to walk up the stairs.

The only time we had a problem was disembarkation. This was a mess. We had luggage tag number 18 for a 9:15 disembarkation, and we 'might' have been off the ship at 11:00. We pulled away from the port at 11:45. This might have been a customs thing, but I was not happy. But I guess you're never happy when vacations over!

We enjoyed this cruise so much we booked Harmony of the Seas for December of 2016 while on board.

Disembarkation was a diaster! We have never had to wait that long to get off the ship. Glad we had a late flight.

I agree that the bar staff did a great job keeping the drinks flowing, and like you I was tipping $1 for every drink at the pool. (My personal rule is if I get the drink I do not tip extra, but if they bring the drink to me I give $1.)

You can choose to say you haven't experienced something but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to others. The line for breakfast at Windjammer was 10+ waiting to get in on both sides for long periods of time at breakfast and lunch yesterday. When I went for breakfast yesterday it was impossible to get someone to help with a diet Coke (not a coffee drinker) with my breakfast. The previous day for lunch was no problem but breakfast yesterday was borderline unpleasant.

We did wait 25 minutes past our 'reserved' time at Silk for dinner. It was like waiting for OutBack steakhouse on a Saturday night. The service at Silk was terrible including server disappearing after each individual person placed their drink order. We had to actively ask him to wait so we could all get an order in before he ran away again. wrong appetizer delivered but absolutely nobody visiting the table to confirm 'is everything okay' and when server was finally near the table again to have the opportunity to alert they were bringing main course and then gone again. Appetizer was not eaten and that fact was never even acknowledged by wait staff.

I'm hoping things settle out a little as the week goes on but not a great first full day onboard.

Agree with you completely. Lines were long at Windjammer and at the Cafe. Took over 3 hours to have dinner both nights we booked at Silk. Forget laying by the pool as we walked around for 45 min looking for a chair due to all the "saving of seats" which is not supposed to happen. Standing room only at the water show and the ice show even though we had reservations. It is a beautiful ship but I didn't pay to wait in lines or stand at shows. Oh and the lobster at the Windjammer was not great and they had it so far away from the rest of the food you wouldn't know it was there if you sat on the other side of the dining room. People were rude in the elevators and I have been pushed and shoved too many times to count. Next time we will be going with a smaller ship.

I can just see paying passengers sleeping on deck like non paying troops

They did on the CCL Triumph, but then again that cruise was worse than the troop sailings.

I will add I'd not want to be on a completely full Oasis or Allure sailing.

While good PR for RCI, these statements are not quite correct. They may have set records for "largest cruise ship" and "most paying passengers", the records for largest ship in the world and "largest amount of people onboard" do not belong to the Oasis.

TI Asia, a former VLCC tanker, now a FPSO, is the current worlds largest ship, and counting ships that are no longer sailing, Allure (and Oasis) are 13th based on gross tonnage.

During WWII, RMS Queen Elizabeth routinely carried 13000-15000 troops (plus crew).

I was going to mention that as well, they must be referring to guests only.

When I toured the original RMS Queen Mary a few years ago they had a display talking about one of her crossings when she carried 16,000+ people (16,082 to be exact, and a standing record according to Wikipedia). Now those are some impressive numbers, especially considering the old Queens were only in the 80,000 GT range.

Edited by DarthGrady