World Record - Congratulations Oasis of the Seas

Currently sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. There are 8,490 passengers and crew on board which is a World Record. First time ever that a ship has carried that many people. Largest Ship in the world, and the largest amount of people on board, Congratulations Royal Caribbean.

WOW!! That number certainly explains some of the things we're experiencing onboard this week. Lines to get into Windjammer have been totally crazy, service at dinner at Silk last night was horrible, and in general crowds bumping into each other all over the ship no matter where you went.

We went on the Disney Fantasy last year this same week and all agreed it was a more pleasant experience all the way around. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience this ship, and maybe my perspective will temper over the full week but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

WOW!! That number certainly explains some of the things we're experiencing onboard this week. Lines to get into Windjammer have been totally crazy, service at dinner at Silk last night was horrible, and in general crowds bumping into each other all over the ship no matter where you went.

We went on the Disney Fantasy last year this same week and all agreed it was a more pleasant experience all the way around. I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience this ship, and maybe my perspective will temper over the full week but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

That is not true at all. Yes last night was busy but it was the formal night and they had photography stations set up everywhere with people lining up to get there photos. This did make it seem crowded. I ate at windjammer and it was busy but I did not have to wait and it was easy to find a table. During the day you would not have any idea that there are that many persons on the ship. You can walk through most areas and it is no different to any other ship as to regards to crowds. The weather has not been favourable as yet and more people are tending to us ethe inside areas, which may account for what some people may think is 'crowded' The food that I have experienced so far has been amazing (lobster in the Windjammer last night) I have not had to wait at any bar for a drink and service across the whole ship has been IMO amazing.

Yes that is a lot of people! I'm surprised that would happen during March....seems to me that they would have larger numbers during the holiday season or summer, when you have lots of families traveling together . Must be all those spring breakers crammed into cabins:)

I wonder what the average number of passengers is for a sailing? We have been on the Oasis class 4 times and it has never felt crowded.

Aussie Jeep- I just noticed your itinerary. 35 nights at sea during this trip-enjoy!!!

Edited by Wilda

Currently sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. There are 8,490 passengers and crew on board which is a World Record. First time ever that a ship has carried that many people. Largest Ship in the world, and the largest amount of people on board, Congratulations Royal Caribbean.

While good PR for RCI, these statements are not quite correct. They may have set records for "largest cruise ship" and "most paying passengers", the records for largest ship in the world and "largest amount of people onboard" do not belong to the Oasis.

TI Asia, a former VLCC tanker, now a FPSO, is the current worlds largest ship, and counting ships that are no longer sailing, Allure (and Oasis) are 13th based on gross tonnage.

During WWII, RMS Queen Elizabeth routinely carried 13000-15000 troops (plus crew).

That is not true at all. Yes last night was busy but it was the formal night and they had photography stations set up everywhere with people lining up to get there photos. This did make it seem crowded. I ate at windjammer and it was busy but I did not have to wait and it was easy to find a table. During the day you would not have any idea that there are that many persons on the ship. You can walk through most areas and it is no different to any other ship as to regards to crowds. The weather has not been favourable as yet and more people are tending to us ethe inside areas, which may account for what some people may think is 'crowded' The food that I have experienced so far has been amazing (lobster in the Windjammer last night) I have not had to wait at any bar for a drink and service across the whole ship has been IMO amazing.

You can choose to say you haven't experienced something but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to others. The line for breakfast at Windjammer was 10+ waiting to get in on both sides for long periods of time at breakfast and lunch yesterday. When I went for breakfast yesterday it was impossible to get someone to help with a diet Coke (not a coffee drinker) with my breakfast. The previous day for lunch was no problem but breakfast yesterday was borderline unpleasant.

We did wait 25 minutes past our 'reserved' time at Silk for dinner. It was like waiting for OutBack steakhouse on a Saturday night. The service at Silk was terrible including server disappearing after each individual person placed their drink order. We had to actively ask him to wait so we could all get an order in before he ran away again. wrong appetizer delivered but absolutely nobody visiting the table to confirm 'is everything okay' and when server was finally near the table again to have the opportunity to alert they were bringing main course and then gone again. Appetizer was not eaten and that fact was never even acknowledged by wait staff.

I'm hoping things settle out a little as the week goes on but not a great first full day onboard.

You can choose to say you haven't experienced something but that doesn't mean it didn't happen to others. The line for breakfast at Windjammer was 10+ waiting to get in on both sides for long periods of time at breakfast and lunch yesterday. When I went for breakfast yesterday it was impossible to get someone to help with a diet Coke (not a coffee drinker) with my breakfast. The previous day for lunch was no problem but breakfast yesterday was borderline unpleasant.

We did wait 25 minutes past our 'reserved' time at Silk for dinner. It was like waiting for OutBack steakhouse on a Saturday night. The service at Silk was terrible including server disappearing after each individual person placed their drink order. We had to actively ask him to wait so we could all get an order in before he ran away again. wrong appetizer delivered but absolutely nobody visiting the table to confirm 'is everything okay' and when server was finally near the table again to have the opportunity to alert they were bringing main course and then gone again. Appetizer was not eaten and that fact was never even acknowledged by wait staff.

I'm hoping things settle out a little as the week goes on but not a great first full day onboard.

I've sailed on the Oasis twice and Allure once, and have 2 more coming up. Never felt the crowds except for special events, we stay away, in the promenade. Was the crowdiness (sp) and the poor service at Silk (MTD) every day/night of your cruise or just some nights.

The WJ on the Oasis seems small to the number of Paxs. The first time we sailed on the Oasis we examined the WJ, looked at their menu and decided that there were better venues to eat breakfast and lunch, eg; JR, Park Café, Solarium Bistro, MDR, etc. We have never stepped foot in the WJ for both the Oasis and the Allure sails since.

PS. The best WJ that I have come across has been on the Quantum.

This new record would not have been possible without the addition of many new cabins and removal of public space during her most recent dry dock.

Interesting. I wonder, years down the road if we could be talking about an Oasis stretch? :eek:

MV Wilhelm Gustloff?

The Gustloff was a one off evacuation, without sufficient berths for all of the estimated 10,000 onboard, while the two Queens repeatedly carried 13-15k troops. The Gustloff does have the distinction of being the worst loss of life in a maritime disaster, and yet remains virtually unknown.

Interesting. I wonder, years down the road if we could be talking about an Oasis stretch? :eek:

Well, even at the reported occupancy, she is still not at capacity. With a reported crew strength of 2394, that means she has 6096 paying passengers onboard. Her lifeboats are 18 x 354 (370 minus the 16 crew assigned), or 6372 (6296 reported maximum). If they could get approval to reduce crew assigned to lifeboats, they could increase passenger capacity even more. But based on RCI's experience with stretching the Enchantment, I don't foresee any enlargement of these ships beyond what they are.

In actual fact, the addition of cabins did nothing to add to the capacity of the ship (unless there were not enough berths before), as maximum capacity is based on lifeboats, but the additional cabins allow them to have more 1st/2nd guests (higher paying) and less 3rd/4th guests in each stateroom.

No thanks. Numbers like this would make me run as far away as possible from that ship. Windjammer is chaos on Sea Days on Freedom and Voyager Class. Couldnt even imagine what its like with 8000. Nightmare.

Congratulations on your cruise, have fun, but thought Allure was the largest.:)

(50 mm according to Wikipedia:D)

Well, even at the reported occupancy, she is still not at capacity. With a reported crew strength of 2394, that means she has 6096 paying passengers onboard. Her lifeboats are 18 x 354 (370 minus the 16 crew assigned), or 6372 (6296 reported maximum). If they could get approval to reduce crew assigned to lifeboats, they could increase passenger capacity even more. But based on RCI's experience with stretching the Enchantment, I don't foresee any enlargement of these ships beyond what they are.

In actual fact, the addition of cabins did nothing to add to the capacity of the ship (unless there were not enough berths before), as maximum capacity is based on lifeboats, but the additional cabins allow them to have more 1st/2nd guests (higher paying) and less 3rd/4th guests in each stateroom.

According to the ship fact sheets listed on royals website the Allure is listed as 6318 and 2384 crew for max occupancy and the Oasis since her refurb is now listed as 6360 with 2394 for crew. It does appear as if they have added both crew and passengers to the capacity of the Oasis.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheets/

Yuk! Sailing with that many people has no appeal for me. But it might appeal to some people, so please come back and report when Oasis sets another 'world record' of 10,000 passengers and crew. :p

According to the ship fact sheets listed on royals website the Allure is listed as 6318 and 2384 crew for max occupancy and the Oasis since her refurb is now listed as 6360 with 2394 for crew. It does appear as if they have added both crew and passengers to the capacity of the Oasis.

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/fact-sheets/

Well, they really didn't add to the maximum capacity, since as I calculated, the lifeboats can hold 6372, which is the maximum capacity. Adding crew, provided there are enough cabins is relatively easy by adding liferafts, which take up very little room by comparison to the monster boats these ships have.

WOW, that is a lot of people. Can't imagine it.... Do you notice there are so many on board?

Cindy

Yes that is a lot of people! I'm surprised that would happen during March....seems to me that they would have larger numbers during the holiday season or summer, when you have lots of families traveling together . Must be all those spring breakers crammed into cabins:)

To me, this is a holiday week. Many schools are off the week before Easter. Our family always took vacation during Easter time. We didn't like to be away over the Christmas holidays.