World Record - Congratulations Oasis of the Seas

What about the complaints in the buffet line? :eek:

Along with setting new 'world records' RCL buffets will now only serve powdered eggs for breakfast and chipped beef on toast for the rest.

Yummm!:p

Edited by DirtyDawg

Along with setting new 'world records' RCL buffets will now only serve powdered eggs for breakfast and chipped beef on toast for the rest.

Yummm!:p

Showers will be rationed to 3 minutes, once a week, and restrooms will be down the hall, and troughs with flowing water, board covers and holes. Laundry will be "all you can stuff in the bucket of sea water" for free.

Well, even at the reported occupancy, she is still not at capacity. With a reported crew strength of 2394, that means she has 6096 paying passengers onboard. Her lifeboats are 18 x 354 (370 minus the 16 crew assigned), or 6372 (6296 reported maximum). If they could get approval to reduce crew assigned to lifeboats, they could increase passenger capacity even more.

Err...does that mean the crew is expected to go down with the ship? :confused:

I was on the Oasis two weeks ago and we were probably not far off those numbers. It apparently had 1800 kids on board and the ship was sold out except for a few suites. We never waited in line at the Windjammer although sometimes when we left breakfast there were a few people waiting. Service for early dining was always fantastic from the waiter, his assistant, and the drinks person. The lines got annoying for the flow rider, rock wall, and zipline later in the week but those lines would have been even worse on a smaller ship with only one flow rider instead of two. We sometimes got poor seats for unreservable shows but we also usually showed up at the last minute. Elevators were annoying so we avoided them whenever possible. I'm a fast walker who can get impatient at slow walkers walking 3 or 4 abreast in front of me but except for the obvious times when shows were getting out, I was happy with my ability to walk quickly around the ship so it can't have been that crowded.

Err...does that mean the crew is expected to go down with the ship? :confused:

I was on the Oasis two weeks ago and we were probably not far off those numbers. It apparently had 1800 kids on board and the ship was sold out except for a few suites. We never waited in line at the Windjammer although sometimes when we left breakfast there were a few people waiting. Service for early dining was always fantastic from the waiter, his assistant, and the drinks person. The lines got annoying for the flow rider, rock wall, and zipline later in the week but those lines would have been even worse on a smaller ship with only one flow rider instead of two. We sometimes got poor seats for unreservable shows but we also usually showed up at the last minute. Elevators were annoying so we avoided them whenever possible. I'm a fast walker who can get impatient at slow walkers walking 3 or 4 abreast in front of me but except for the obvious times when shows were getting out, I was happy with my ability to walk quickly around the ship so it can't have been that crowded.

Not at all. Lifeboats are large, complex things that take up a great deal of space, and provide some degree of comfort if utilized. Passengers on ocean going cruise ships are required to have a space in a lifeboat (as are the few crew assigned as the boats' crews), so the number and capacity of lifeboats limits maximum capacity, unless the ship can figure out where to install another boat. Maximum capacity deals only with passengers. The crew have always been relegated to life rafts. The total capacity of lifeboats and life rafts must be 125% of all souls onboard, passengers and crew. Since rafts have less resources onboard, and are more crowded and less protected, this is what the crew use. Since these are inflatable, a 50 person raft can be rolled up into a fiberglass cylinder about 3-4' in diameter, and 5' long, so 7 rafts (7x50=350) take up much less space than a 370 person lifeboat. If there are enough cabins to add crew, it is a simple thing to add rafts.

So after my complaints about dining using MTD in Silk last night I thought it only fair to share the dramatic difference tonight.

After last nights experience we switched off of MTD to traditional late seating in American Icon (deck 3). What an amazing turnaround. The service experience was top notch with a service team that actually communicated, got everything we ordered exactly right and genuinely seemed to want to be sure we enjoyed things. If was such a dramatic change from the terrible service experience last night we all made a point of noting to the server how much more enjoyable an experience it was vs the night before with MTD in Silk.

We've been on Oasis class 5 times, and I thought the cruise 2 weeks ago felt a lot more crowded than before. It just took a little longer to get what you needed and to get where you wanted to be. Nothing truly significant, but it does add up over a week. All in all, I'd still say a day on Oasis beats a day on land anytime!

On the Oasis as well. Hey Bruce!

I can confirm it's been a great cruise (weather is a little colder than I would have liked). The ship does not feel crowded at all. I have waited in longer line on the Naviagtor.

Hey Jason and Caleb , beer today?

I am having the best time. Staff, food atmosphere all wonderful. I am a glass half full type of person. Sitting in the Solarium Bistro about 20 people here eating, heaps of free tables. Life is great. Have the best day all.

Hey Jason and Caleb , beer today?

I am having the best time. Staff, food atmosphere all wonderful. I am a glass half full type of person. Sitting in the Solarium Bistro about 20 people here eating, heaps of free tables. Life is great. Have the best day all.

We were out until 3:00, and I'm still under the covers! :-p

I think having a drink together would be a blast. We won't be off the ship long (Jamaica isn't our favorite place). Most likely at the beach pool or solarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your cruise, have fun, but thought Allure was the largest.:)

(50 mm according to Wikipedia:D)

You are correct, they deliberatly made her a fraction bigger in length than the Oasis so she could have the claim to be the biggest in RCI ships.

You are correct, they deliberatly made her a fraction bigger in length than the Oasis so she could have the claim to be the biggest in RCI ships.

This I believe to be an urban myth. Shipbuilding, even given all of its automation these days, is still more art than science. Given the number of pieces required to be welded together to make the ship, no two ships even of the same class will be exactly equal in size. Considering that the difference of 50mm equates to 0.0000013% of the length of the ship, that is certainly within standard shipbuilding (and generally any manufacturing, including "rocket science") allowances. Ships can vary in length by an inch or so, just based on the temperature at the two times of measurement. In fact, doing a quick calculation, a ship the size of Allure will grow 20mm with a change in temperature from 68*F to 77*F.

Not at all. Lifeboats are large, complex things that take up a great deal of space, ..... If there are enough cabins to add crew, it is a simple thing to add rafts.

There is some very exciting news happening in this area with the new Viking Life Crafts hybrid raft/lifeboat currently in the approval channel.

Meyer yard has stated they had already planned to implement this new system on one ship, but delayed the choice due to uncertainly that the process would be completed in time.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/viking-lifecraft™-concept-welcomed-at-imo.html?nspPage=1

http://www.viking-life.com/viking.nsf/public/passenger-lifecraft.html

There is some very exciting news happening in this area with the new Viking Life Crafts hybrid raft/lifeboat currently in the approval channel.

Meyer yard has stated they had already planned to implement this new system on one ship, but delayed the choice due to uncertainly that the process would be completed in time.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/viking-lifecraft™-concept-welcomed-at-imo.html?nspPage=1

http://www.viking-life.com/viking.nsf/public/passenger-lifecraft.html

While these systems may become approved in the future, knowing how the IMO works means it will be several years before approval and then implementation by flag states (even if IMO passes a resolution, it requires enabling legislation in the flag states to allow implementation). Further, I would not be surprised if IMO requires some time using these systems for crew first before implementation for passengers.

The only time I have been violently sea sick in 40 years was in a liferaft offshore Halifax for survival training. I can only guess that bigger rafts will only be more uncomfortable.

Currently sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. There are 8,490 passengers and crew on board which is a World Record. First time ever that a ship has carried that many people. Largest Ship in the world, and the largest amount of people on board, Congratulations Royal Caribbean.

I'm not sure why a "congratulations" is in order.

a ship the size of Allure will grow 20mm with a change in temperature from 68*F to 77*F.

Many objects expand as temperature increases. Gasoline for your car for example.

Edited by DirtyDawg

This I believe to be an urban myth. Shipbuilding, even given all of its automation these days, is still more art than science. Given the number of pieces required to be welded together to make the ship, no two ships even of the same class will be exactly equal in size. Considering that the difference of 50mm equates to 0.0000013% of the length of the ship, that is certainly within standard shipbuilding (and generally any manufacturing, including "rocket science") allowances. Ships can vary in length by an inch or so, just based on the temperature at the two times of measurement. In fact, doing a quick calculation, a ship the size of Allure will grow 20mm with a change in temperature from 68*F to 77*F.

Sorry but we were on the Allure pre inaugural and they told us it was done by something like the flag on the back

I know you are very knowledeable about ships and shipping but believe me I am the first to debunk Urban Myths and if I cannot believe the Captain and the staff on this ship who told us this who the heck do you believe?

Not people on Cruise critic obviously.

This may be the case when they were constructed however when the Oasis went in for drydock the rear Azipod had a ne cap fitted and this was extended from the original and therefore made the Oasis again the biggest.

Sorry but we were on the Allure pre inaugural and they told us it was done by something like the flag on the back

I know you are very knowledeable about ships and shipping but believe me I am the first to debunk Urban Myths and if I cannot believe the Captain and the staff on this ship who told us this who the heck do you believe?

Not people on Cruise critic obviously.

Sorry, but the flag on the back is not included in length overall, nor would the after radar mast, or anything like that. LOA (length overall) is the measure from the forward most portion of the ship's hull (normally the top of the bulwark around the bow) to the after most portion of the ship's hull (for cruise ships the transom or ducktail if fitted). Masts, jackstaffs, equipment and appurtenances are not included in official measurement. What RCI uses to measure is up to them, but that just becomes PR, much like the statements that they apparently made onboard regarding the most people onboard a ship record. ;)

This may be the case when they were constructed however when the Oasis went in for drydock the rear Azipod had a ne cap fitted and this was extended from the original and therefore made the Oasis again the biggest.

Again, if correct, this is RCI PR. There are two different measures of ship length:

Length overall (LOA): defined as the length from the extreme forward end of the hull to the extreme after end of the hull. This is the ship's "official" length.

Overall length: (confusing enough?) This is the length from the forward most item on the ship to the aftermost item on the ship. This would include masts and azipod fairwater caps. This term is only significant in knowing what it is for docking between obstructions.

So, while the two Oasis class ships may trade "Overall length" honors back and forth, the official LOA measured at construction is the length of record.

Actually I believe you moved the decimal place in the wrong direction to get your % as it is 0.0138% of the length since that's what you get when 50mm is divided by 362,102 mm (1188ft X 304.8mm/ft) and you move the decimal two to the right (multiple by 100) to get percentage.

We're still only discussing less than two inches difference.

Edited by robtulipe