what month do mosquitos get bad?

lesharona

All of our previous cruises to AK have been in May/early June. The only places where we encountered mosquitos was on a hike into the woods at Taku Lodge and at a city park in Anchorage. We have been into the Yukon twice with no problems at all. This time we are going in late July/August and are a little worried about mosquitos then. They seem to like me a lot and I really don't want to be their next meal. :eek:

We returned home last week from spending 42 nights cruising to Antarctica and South America. At several of the SA ports having insect repellant with you is recommended. We used Ben's Tick and Insect Repellant wipes. The wipes were individually wrapped so no bottle leakage and they also took up virtually no space in the backpacks.

We returned home last week from spending 42 nights cruising to Antarctica and South America. At several of the SA ports having insect repellant with you is recommended. We used Ben's Tick and Insect Repellant wipes. The wipes were individually wrapped so no bottle leakage and they also took up virtually no space in the backpacks.

Sounds perfect for us, would a sporting goods store carry them?

In southeast, i'll take mosquitos over white socks or no-see-ums any day of the week.

Stand close but not too close to the person wearing dark clothing and using perfumed shampoo/deoderant/perfume ........ let them be the attractant.

And try not to breathe, CO2 is another attractant.

Being taller than everyone else has its disadvantages.

Honestly, southeast is pretty slack on mosquitos, the interior is a different story.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/pests.cfm

Edited by bottom-dragger

• 1 month later...

We are traveling to Alaska in June this year. The past two trips have been the last week of August/the first part of September and we haven't had any issues with mosquitos. This time we're doing a cruise tour and going up to Denali and Fairbanks. Do mosquitos only come out late in the day and evening like here in Ohio, or all they all day long?

Did a cruise to Alaska last year at the end of August.....were in Ketchikan and Haines - went fishing in Haines at Lake chilkoot - never saw one mosquitoe....have also been there in May and no problems but I have heard from others that they are bad in August????

eclue:rolleyes:

Like another poster said, mosquitos are much worse in the interior. Important if you're doing a cruise tour, but not dire if you forget it for cruise only. I've sent my son with an insect repellent to camp that's a lotion instead of an aerosol. It works. Eating onions helps too, although your spouse/travel partner may not appreciate it!

We leave Saturday for a week on land at the Princess lodges in Fairbanks Denali and McKinley. I had bought repellent wipes for the trip but do I need to get some aerosol spray too. Wondering if people spray their clothes too?

P.S. I HATE bugs!

Usualy Sept will kill with the first frost.... but around bear bogs... don't count on it.....Mosquitos are only 1/4 of the fun.....Black Flies, No-seeums make Mosquitos look good... then there are the white gnat..... oh just for reference they all sting... love people and animals.....

End of may building to end of August first week in Sept or first frost!

In July, in meadows I have had to wear a full rain suit parka and pants and gloves with a bandana.... it was amazing to see you legs and arms covered with hunderds of the critters.......... they are active dawn to late night... till the temp drops.

We leave Saturday for a week on land at the Princess lodges in Fairbanks Denali and McKinley. I had bought repellent wipes for the trip but do I need to get some aerosol spray too. Wondering if people spray their clothes too?

P.S. I HATE bugs!

YES spray your everything.... get your stuff in Alaska don't worry about getting it before..

Usualy Sept will kill with the first frost.... but around bear bogs... don't count on it.....Mosquitos are only 1/4 of the fun.....Black Flies, No-seeums make Mosquitos look good... then there are the white gnat..... oh just for reference they all sting... love people and animals.....

End of may building to end of August first week in Sept or first frost!

In July, in meadows I have had to wear a full rain suit parka and pants and gloves with a bandana.... it was amazing to see you legs and arms covered with hunderds of the critters.......... they are active dawn to late night... till the temp drops.

Bummer. I can see it now...I'll be wishing I had purchased a netted hood. I came home from Florida once with about 30 no seeum bites on my legs. Miserable. I think where I went wrong is I put some good smelling Bath & Body Works lotion on my legs before we went to Kennedy Space Center which is in a swampy area.

Have done the Inside passage twice and haven't seen a single mosquito. However, I grew up in Anchorage and anytime you are in a wooded area or near a lake, you definitely want repellent during late spring/summer.