What do you believe is the SECRET to getting good service when you cruise?

Paulette3028

I think some of it really truly depends on the person, they may have an "off" day/week, don't we all? I know I have had times that I just can't wait for the week to end... so no matter what you do, it may not make any difference at the time...

But that being said, I have always taught my kids that you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. If you are nice and respectful, then usually that is what you get back.

It also helps to try to get to know the people who are working in and around you. If you are by the person who is working your cabin - ask them a question or two. You might find out that they are the nicest person to get to know. Ask the person in the restaurant something about their home town.

Ask the person in the store what they did the last time they got off the ship...

I also try to tip a little more, and daily. I leave an envelope in the sink with $5 extra in it per adult person in the cabin. On a seven day cruise, that can add up, but it shows them that you appreciate them and what they are doing for you.

I guess I have the outlook of "how would I want to be treated if the roles were reversed", and that is how I try to act.

I'll leave with a story... My last cruise, I lost my camera on the ship. I was heart broken because every picture of my vacation was on that camera. I was in a suite and I let my concierge person know. When I left, it still had not been found, and I just knew that it was gone forever. Imagine my surprise when several weeks later, a small box with my camera was in my mailbox, and the last picture was of my concierge person holding a stuffed animal and a note that said "We found it".... To me, that was the best service ever... and a memory I will hold onto forever.

This sounds like an NCL concierge. Am I right?

The challenge is that every passenger defines great service differently, so when one person states that they always receive great service, it may be completely meaningless to someone else.

This is true to an extent. We consider a great steward to be one who we don't see other than in passing in the hallway and who has our cabin made up while we are at breakfast and dinner. I know some people want to get to know their steward like they are new best friends. We don't care for that level of familiarity with strangers regardless of whether they are ship crew or fellow cruisers.

A great serving team never allows a water glass to go empty, crumbs the table between courses, delivers the correct food as ordered, checks back a minute after the food is delivered to make sure all is well, and then leaves us alone to enjoy our meal. At the same time they look for us to make eye contact if there is a problem.

One thing to add, unless they are the Sommelier, I don't sweat improper wine service. Obviously I'm going to get angry if they decide to add ice cubes to my wine glass or something else utterly unacceptable, but if the label isn't facing me while the wine is being poured, they use a Burgundy glass for a Bordeaux wine, or they don't use the proper order for serving the people at my table, it's al good. If the Sommelier does any of that, there will be a conversation with either them or their boss.

Edited by ducklite

Threads like this, as well as a thread with complaints always amaze me. After 19 cruises and Diamond Status with Royal, I would not be able to complain about a single cabin steward or waiter/assistant waiter. We've always received EXCELLENT service. There was a thread asking how you could avoid being spotted as a first-time cruiser and someone said when you board first time cruisers are all smiles and looking up and around the ship and wearing a lanyard and/or camera. I always laugh because that's me on EVERY cruise. We are just hard-working folks who are teachers, students, law-enforcement and administrative employees. We don't get to cruise often and we are thrilled each and every time. We work hard for our money, but not nearly as hard as the employees...not servants...EMPLOYEES who clean our cabin, serve our meals and make our drinks. We treat people in the service industry with a smile, please and thank you, and respect, on a ship or when at a hotel or restaurant. We keep our cabins neat and tidy, no special requests or demands, we take the waiters advice on dishes at dinner. We've complained only once. We complained to the head waiter about a guest who was seated at our table at breakfast. He was loud and rude to the woman who was our waiter. He made fun of her accent and corrected her English several times and falsely said she got his order wrong. His wife and the other couple with him snickered and laughed. We wanted to make sure the Head Waiter knew who was rude...the guest. I cannot tolerate people that feel they are better than people who work in the service industry so if you act like that, it could account for the lack of enthusiasm you get from the staff and crew. We had one family member who cruised with us that acted like that. Never again. I spent too much of my time apologizing and handing out extra tips for putting up with our relative's attitude. Be nice, be respectful and be happy to be on the ship and tip these people. Otherwise, stay home and have your butler provide you with that "white glove" service you are accustomed to receiving. :D

threads like this, as well as a thread with complaints always amaze me. After 19 cruises and diamond status with royal, i would not be able to complain about a single cabin steward or waiter/assistant waiter. We've always received excellent service. There was a thread asking how you could avoid being spotted as a first-time cruiser and someone said when you board first time cruisers are all smiles and looking up and around the ship and wearing a lanyard and/or camera. I always laugh because that's me on every cruise. We are just hard-working folks who are teachers, students, law-enforcement and administrative employees. We don't get to cruise often and we are thrilled each and every time. We work hard for our money, but not nearly as hard as the employees...not servants...employees who clean our cabin, serve our meals and make our drinks. We treat people in the service industry with a smile, please and thank you, and respect, on a ship or when at a hotel or restaurant. We keep our cabins neat and tidy, no special requests or demands, we take the waiters advice on dishes at dinner. We've complained only once. We complained to the head waiter about a guest who was seated at our table at breakfast. He was loud and rude to the woman who was our waiter. He made fun of her accent and corrected her english several times and falsely said she got his order wrong. His wife and the other couple with him snickered and laughed. We wanted to make sure the head waiter knew who was rude...the guest. I cannot tolerate people that feel they are better than people who work in the service industry so if you act like that, it could account for the lack of enthusiasm you get from the staff and crew. We had one family member who cruised with us that acted like that. Never again. I spent too much of my time apologizing and handing out extra tips for putting up with our relative's attitude. Be nice, be respectful and be happy to be on the ship and tip these people. Otherwise, stay home and have your butler provide you with that "white glove" service you are accustomed to receiving. :d

ImageUploadedByForums1429370091.998011.jpg.f2c7744ffaf5e4007268a31567990c82.jpg

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

We have cruised a few times and have never had bad service.

The best advice I could give anyone is to be nice to the staff and you will receive good service. Some people we have seen do everything but snap their fingers at staff and you would be surprised how many people never say thank you to staff.

Mike

Threads like this, as well as a thread with complaints always amaze me. After 19 cruises and Diamond Status with Royal, I would not be able to complain about a single cabin steward or waiter/assistant waiter. We've always received EXCELLENT service. There was a thread asking how you could avoid being spotted as a first-time cruiser and someone said when you board first time cruisers are all smiles and looking up and around the ship and wearing a lanyard and/or camera. I always laugh because that's me on EVERY cruise. We are just hard-working folks who are teachers, students, law-enforcement and administrative employees. We don't get to cruise often and we are thrilled each and every time. We work hard for our money, but not nearly as hard as the employees...not servants...EMPLOYEES who clean our cabin, serve our meals and make our drinks. We treat people in the service industry with a smile, please and thank you, and respect, on a ship or when at a hotel or restaurant. We keep our cabins neat and tidy, no special requests or demands, we take the waiters advice on dishes at dinner. We've complained only once. We complained to the head waiter about a guest who was seated at our table at breakfast. He was loud and rude to the woman who was our waiter. He made fun of her accent and corrected her English several times and falsely said she got his order wrong. His wife and the other couple with him snickered and laughed. We wanted to make sure the Head Waiter knew who was rude...the guest. I cannot tolerate people that feel they are better than people who work in the service industry so if you act like that, it could account for the lack of enthusiasm you get from the staff and crew. We had one family member who cruised with us that acted like that. Never again. I spent too much of my time apologizing and handing out extra tips for putting up with our relative's attitude. Be nice, be respectful and be happy to be on the ship and tip these people. Otherwise, stay home and have your butler provide you with that "white glove" service you are accustomed to receiving. :D

Dear Griffy

Well said and I totally agree.

Mike

This is true to an extent. We consider a great steward to be one who we don't see other than in passing in the hallway and who has our cabin made up while we are at breakfast and dinner. I know some people want to get to know their steward like they are new best friends. We don't care for that level of familiarity with strangers regardless of whether they are ship crew or fellow cruisers.

A great serving team never allows a water glass to go empty, crumbs the table between courses, delivers the correct food as ordered, checks back a minute after the food is delivered to make sure all is well, and then leaves us alone to enjoy our meal. At the same time they look for us to make eye contact if there is a problem.

One thing to add, unless they are the Sommelier, I don't sweat improper wine service. Obviously I'm going to get angry if they decide to add ice cubes to my wine glass or something else utterly unacceptable, but if the label isn't facing me while the wine is being poured, they use a Burgundy glass for a Bordeaux wine, or they don't use the proper order for serving the people at my table, it's al good. If the Sommelier does any of that, there will be a conversation with either them or their boss.

I agree @ducklite. We feel much the same way. And for the record, we have had good service and not so good service. After years of taking just 7-day cruises, I would welcome the experience of just one week where nothing went wrong.

For instance, on our most recent cruise on the X Reflection, a birthday cake that was pre-ordered for a special celebration did not arrive. Daily water in the Aqua Class was inconsistent - some days we received it, others we didn't, yet we paid for it as a cabin amenity. Twice we ordered room service and both times the orders were missing items. I sent a bathrobe out to be cleaned and 3 days later had to request a replacement. And of course, no cruise is complete without having to spend time dealing with billing errors.

Was the service on the ship bad? No, but it wasn't great either. It was simply perfunctory with some great and not so great. Is it really too much to expect no mishaps in 7 days? Our experience is that yes, it is expecting too much. But, we will sail on and continue to seek out that cruise line that does provide great service.

The best advice I could give anyone is to be nice to the staff and you will receive good service. Some people we have seen do everything but snap their fingers at staff and you would be surprised how many people never say thank you to staff.

Mike

There is the "SECRET" .it is a word THANK YOU!!

It cost nothing but is very appreciated.

Very similar when people help others on CC, there are those who never thank someone for answering their questions;)

Happy Days!

Excellent comment :)

Personally I believe the cruise line can be responsible for the attitude of many of their customers, especially on the first days of the cruise, due to a long & poor embarkation process. ( not the crew's fault ) However as passengers we are excited & want to begin our holiday immediately, & may not be in the best of moods when boarding the ship from lack of answers & several delays.

Embarkation day can be a little perplexing....and some of it falls under no ones control....sometimes not even the cruise line directly, for some examples:

(1)a problem from passengers disembarking that morning

(2)a problem that occurred on the previous sailing

(3)passengers getting on the ship, but who did not properly handle their own paperwork prior to reaching the port and therefore causing delays

(4) passengers getting on board, with unruly children and making it more difficult for staff to take the pictures for their sea pass cards

or

(5) something else

How the cruise line takes care of the matter, no matter how it is done, often is not received well by the cruiser starting out on their sailing because all they want to do is 'get on the ship as fast as possible to start their vacation'. So any words to explain the delay is received negatively too often.

Cruisers, take a deep breath -- whatever the embarkation problem that may be occurring -- take heed -- the ship will not leave without you, if you are in the terminal and properly documented to be on the ship and patience is GOLDEN.

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

Attitude and expectation

Those that think they are entitled usually either overtly or not project a aura that how would I say... doesn't likely bring out the best ;)

Treat others like you want to be treated, smile and ask nicely and you'd be surprised what how you might be treaded :D

As the OP, I put this up because I too often read threads loaded with complaints about service and feel it is important to be mindful of the fact -- that I (the cruiser) am in control of the attitude I bring on board that will affect my cruise experience.

I so LIKE your post, it is wonderful -- although you had your own, not so pleasant experience and that was a 'fellow cruisers' fault. What I highlighted, is also US. But I like to remind myself of the magical feeling I had of anticipation on that very first cruise, and try very hard to recreate it each time we cruise -- and so far, soon to be on #18, we have been able to....so if I am confused by my appearance walking onboard as a new cruiser....I am well on my way to a great cruise.

We have never had bad service. We too follow the basic rules of respect and politeness. We have also found that we are always willing to share tables in the MDR. That makes it so much easier for the head waiters. They remember that. When we go back, they usually place us in good spots with the better waiters.

Cooperation and friendliness go a long way over scowls and hot demands...

I never said there was. But, you catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. FWIW...

Mike

This is not true. You can bend over backwards to be nice and still have problems. We had an extreme issue with a cabin steward who we were nothing but pleasant to and even kept a few issues to ourselves early on hoping she would straighten her act out. Unfortunately the situation became bad enough that we had to get the head of housekeeping involved. She had been through our belongings (we set a trap so if she opened a drawer we would know it) things were touched and moved around the cabin without a good reason, things were taken without permission, there was more. It really put a damper on the entire cruise, and we didn't even bother with service the last two days as we didn't want her in our cabin.

We have also had deplorable service in the MDR. We were cruising with friends who are cheerleaders for that particular line, and even they said it was the worst MDR service they had ever had.

Forgetting to replace the bath mat one day, no big deal. Going through a guests belongings--huge deal. Forgetting to bring a side once, it happens. Never refilling water glasses through the entire cruise even though they've been asked repeatedly for refills, huge deal.

I never said there was. But, you catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. FWIW...

I actually catch more flies with beer.:) Since I haven't tried tipping the room steward or other crew with cans of beer (yet!) I just subscribe to the DBAJ principle.

D = Don't

B = Be

A = A

J = Jerk

DBAJ usually works fine.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

As stated above - some people are just tough to please.

However, for us it is simple, we bring a couple small bags of chocolates from home. I won't name the company, but there is a theme park and town in Pennsylvania named after them. Leave a couple chocolates on the coffee table for your room attendant. Leave a couple more on the table when you leave dinner. We'll normally have the same server in the casino by the end of the week because I drop chocolates on their tray when they bring me a drink.

Less than $8 worth of candy generates some top notch service with a smile.

On my last cruise I took boxes of candy...Skittles, M&M's etc and put some cash on the candy and put a self stick name label on the box. I had a box of different flavors for each day of the cruise. When I knew the room attendants name I filled in the label with their name.

He was so pleased and said that was a first for him. The crew don't always get candy as the time off the ship is limited.

The rest is common sense, kindness, appreciation and pick up after yourself. I have seen some cabins that were being cleaned....YIKES, trash, clothes on the floor etc. Then again I doubt if the people in those rooms read CC.

I actually catch more flies with beer.:)

We catch slugs with beer....

As for DBAJ principle, I agree completely.

Since I haven't tried tipping the room steward or other crew with cans of beer (yet!) I just subscribe to the DBAJ principle.

D = Don't

B = Be

A = A

J = Jerk

DBAJ usually works fine.;)

Very simple. Don't expect great service. Be polite yourself and smile. It actually doesn't hurt to smile yourself and say thank you. I think there was an old saying, what goes around comes around.

Exactly. Just be nice, polite and do not be unnecessarily demanding. Yes they are getting paid to do their job but you do not have to act like you are above them. Yes it is their job to provide excellent service. BUT....things happen. People forget things. As long as they are trying to make your stay an exceptional one, don't be so hard on them. They are people too.