What do you believe is the SECRET to getting good service when you cruise?

Paulette3028

Being nice and respectful but not too overbearing. I have observed some really friendly folk chattering away to staff and although it was politeness from the crew you could tell they just wanted to get on with their job after a while as they had a lot to do.

The only bad service I ever received was before I met our room steward. We didn't see her for the first 3 days but she managed to loose my nightgown, take away our power strip from a closed draw (next to a document that said we could have it) and leave my Lush soaps on the floor of the shower.

I don't think there is any secret to it. Good service is top down. Management structures service and sets the priority. They also motivate staff and have to keep morale up.

That is why I feel bad for dining room staff. They really don't provide great service like in the past. It's not possible with the current structure. There isn't enough staff to guarantee great service. But many are friendly and DO work hard.

Being appreciative of their efforts does bring out the best of what they have to work with, but the best today is just not what it was 10 years ago.

Yes, I agree. Dining was fun 10 years ago when the three table servents knew your name by the second day and your likes and dislikes by the third. And they tended to spoil our kids too. Now I feel guilty asking for more water because it doesn't fit in jog between their five tables and the kitchen.

I like to tip early and often to get good service. But it's not always just good service I enjoy, sometimes the smile from the tip is worth the price. Still, I remember getting faster and better room service as the week went on a Princess cruise last year because (I was told later) I was a good tipper. The room service waiters were actually waiting for my call with my order already ready to go. Now that is service. I didn't learn this of course until the last day.

For whatever reason, the absolute worse service I have ever recieved has been from the bar staff.

Sadly, the days of real quality cruise line service are gone because the fast food cruisers of today don't expect it. It's not the crews fault, but when it comes to ship service, you get what you pay for.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

My husband and I do all we can to make the cabin attendants job as easy as possible. We neatly stow all personal belongings so they don't have to do any extra cleanup and towels and wash cloths are neatly folded and placed on the floor of the shower in a neat stack to make pickup and replacement simple. For all ship employees, we try to always be respectful, friendly and kind and even helpful if at all possible. If the employees feel that you are on their side, most of them will do anything they possibly can to help you. And I acknowledge them with an extra large tip and glowing comment card. We always get great service.

We are pleasant and polite but don't try to "make friends" or ask them questions that are none of our business. We always say please and thank you.

The first day we let the room steward know we like an extra box of Kleenex and that we don't need ice to save him/her the effort of filling an ice bucket we never use. We also tell the person who services the minibar that we don't drink soda and use tap water, so no need to even spend the time coming into our room to check if it needs to be filled.

We keep our cabin very neat and tidy with everything put away when we aren't in it. (You wouldn't realize it was occupied if you walked by and the door was open.) We place dirty towels, bathmat, etc. in a place that the steward doesn't need to bend over to pick them up.

We aren't demanding of servers and don't blame them for the fault of the kitchen. If we BYOB our wine we always offer the Sommelier a pour and slip them a $20 for the bottle they didn't sell us. We never, ever, ever argue over paying corkage.

We try to create as little work as possible for them all.

We've really only had one steward we had real problems with. She kept moving our belongings around our cabin and we "set a trap" and know she went into at least one of the drawers with no valid reason. There were other issues with her that I'm not getting into.

We've had mostly good servers except on RCCL where even our "RCI Cheerleader" friends who we shared a table with agreed that the dinner service was terrible.

We did find that overall the service on the PG was OK but nothing special--interesting that it's the only ship that includes gratuities in the cruise fare. There was only one server on that ship who we slipped an extra tip to because he was really good and had my pot of tea at my table each morning as soon as I sat down without my asking.

As the OP, I did not add my comments in the opening post. I was curious to read what others had to say first and then put in my 2 cents.

I posed the question: "What do you believe is the SECRET to getting good service when you cruise?" saying 'when you cruise' because it is my belief that we set the aura of what we get.

Sure, LMaxwell points out that service is top down, but upper most management isn't on the ship with me (as they sit in their corporate offices) and middle management (Hotel Manager, Food & Beverage Manager, etc) have plenty of control over some things and no control over other things.

But I HAVE TOTAL control over how I start my cruise and first interactions with the staff/crew.

So I walk onto the ship with the wonderful anticipation of a terrific cruise all over my demeanor (trying to remember the walk onto the ship on that very first cruise)....the happy step in my walk, the smile on my face, the nifty hello to all I meet wearing a Royal shirt along the way....yes, I am wearing a hat that has my small C&A pin, but they would need to crane their necks to see it (to know that this was not my first ever cruise).

As I go through the halls to WJ and everyone I meet, gets the same 'upbeat greeting' -- does that wait staff in WJ know whether I will be assigned to a table they have (but I want them to HOPE so, from my demeanor); as I walk down the corridors to my cabin, does the cabin steward know if I am in one of their assigned cabins, no but I want them to hope that I am.

I know that when I get to my cabin(or to their table in the MDR), they will know that the person in our cabin is Diamond (and we usually have some extra perks that have come our way, from corporate friends I have), but until they see my face and match it to my cabin, they just see a name....I want them to want the bubbly person who they see walking in the hallway as part of their assignment.

I also know that some things may not be in my cabin when I get there that I want: maybe even our robes won't be there.....but the smile and our beginning demeanor, set the stage for everything else....and VIOLA -- I have never had poor or bad service -- and they have no idea that I will tip them at the end of the cruise.

Many times the entertainment staff is at the entry way when cruisers arrive....and that person gets my nifty fun greeting; sometimes I bump into one of them getting that first cup of coffee at Café Promenade or Lattitudes -- one time in a conversation, they realized that I was not the "first time cruiser that they thought I was from my 'so happy to be on the ship' attitude" and as the week progressed marveled at how I was and even commented that it was so much fun to have cruisers on board like DH and I, who came with the goal of having a great time, and they commented that it was wonderful (from their point of view) to help make our cruise even better.

I am sure that attitude is the same for the cabin steward, wait staff and entertainment and sports staff.

I tell that story to remind myself -- I have total control over how my cruise will start and the service I will get back in return will follow in kind.

Take an interest in the people serving you. They see new people every week, and if you don't pay them any attention, they will just go through the motions. If you make an effort to talk to them the first day it will go a long way. Ask them how to pronounce their name; Ask them where they are from; Ask them about their family; Ask them about how long they've worked on a ship, etc. Wish them a nice day and ask them advice on what to do on the islands.

I've found that if you get to know your room steward, they will try a lot harder to make you happy. Same goes with wait staff in the main dining room. It's a lot harder to get to know your bartender or blackjack dealer, but if you see him/her throughout the week you can surely say a few nice words or share a short conversation.

Take an interest in the people serving you. They see new people every week, and if you don't pay them any attention, they will just go through the motions. If you make an effort to talk to them the first day it will go a long way. Ask them how to pronounce their name; Ask them where they are from; Ask them about their family; Ask them about how long they've worked on a ship, etc. Wish them a nice day and ask them advice on what to do on the islands.

I disagree. Do not waste their time asking them personal questions. How would you like it if a complete stranger came up and began asking a lot of personal questions, particularly when you were in a rush? Ask how to pronounce their name, yes. Be polite, use please and thank you, hello and goodbye. Otherwise let them do their job.

I've found that if you get to know your room steward, they will try a lot harder to make you happy. Same goes with wait staff in the main dining room. It's a lot harder to get to know your bartender or blackjack dealer, but if you see him/her throughout the week you can surely say a few nice words or share a short conversation.

Wasting their time will not endear them to you. They are there to get tips, not to become your new best friend. You tip the dealer and bartender each day, and as long as you tip them well they will continue to show you interest. Don't kid yourself and think that it because they actually want to talk to you.

There is no trick to getting good service, simply ask for what you want. That is what we do. Generally staff will try to give you what you ask for, if they can. It is a lot easier for staff to respond to clear requests then try to guess how to serve you.

We also tip well if we get what for asked for, over and above, the auto tip.

Sometimes we buy something in port, i.e., candy, pastries... which we share with our room steward and MDR staff... which they appreciate. Once we were in Alaska bought some candy in port for our MDR waiter and assistant, another waitress wanted some when she saw what we had given our table staff. Luckily we were in port late that evening, so after dinner we got of the ship again and got some more candy. It is nice to please others . We were happy and so where they. :D

Wonder why this thread got bumped from the main board so quickly😉

The warmth and fuzziness had me dreamin of cruise ships made out of marshmallows.:cool:

💵💵💵$$$$ 💶💷💴💰💰💰$$$$$💵💵💵💵💰💰💰💰💶💶💶💳💳💳💸💸💸💷💷

These all work well with a smile, being polite and treating others as you would treat your own.

Happy Days!:)

Learn their names - including how to pronounce them -and address them by name with a smile and a "thank you" for what they do - while showing interest in who they are and where they are from. I really doubt they want to get buddy-buddy, or to hear you attempt to mimic their accents.

As a general rule, courtesy begets courtesy.

There is no trick to getting good service, simply ask for what you want. That is what we do. Generally staff will try to give you what you ask for, if they can. It is a lot easier for staff to respond to clear requests then try to guess how to serve you.

We also tip well if we get what for asked for, over and above, the auto tip.

Sometimes we buy something in port, i.e., candy, pastries... which we share with our room steward and MDR staff... which they appreciate. Once we were in Alaska bought some candy in port for our MDR waiter and assistant, another waitress wanted some when she saw what we had given our table staff. Luckily we were in port late that evening, so after dinner we got of the ship again and got some more candy. It is nice to please others . We were happy and so where they. :D

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

We usually get great service because we are nice to people and patient.

There's no secret - Treat others how you want to be treated. If you're a jerk to the them, the staff will be jerky right back to you in their own way.

Mind your manners, say 'Please', 'Excuse', 'Thank You', 'Yes', 'No' - The staff are not mind readers, say something if not to your liking. Have patience knowing that not everything can be done right this second and/or go according to schedule/plan. Common courtsey and patience as a virtue goes a long way when on vacation, even on a cruise.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

If you board expecting that the service will be bad - that is what you will usually get. These people have a serious attitude problem.

If you board expecting decent or even good service, this is also what you will usually get. These people have a positive attitude.

DON

There's no secret - Treat others how you want to be treated. If you're a jerk to the them, the staff will be jerky right back to you in their own way.

Mind your manners, say 'Please', 'Excuse', 'Thank You', 'Yes', 'No' - The staff are not mind readers, say something if not to your liking. Have patience knowing that not everything can be done right this second and/or go according to schedule/plan. Common courtsey and patience as a virtue goes a long way when on vacation, even on a cruise.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

This is a good post. If you sleep in while on vacation, let your steward know so he can plan to service your cabin last. If you sleep until the crack of noon-thirty, don't expect him/her to hang out until you head for the pool at 2:00. They usually go off duty around noon and come back at dinner time. Just let him know from the start that you won't need morning service. Ask them to leave extra towels in the evening instead.

If you are on a ship with a MDR and assigned tables and know you won't be at dinner the next night, mention it to the server so he doesn't hold the entire table waiting on you.

If your meat comes cooked incorrectly, don't get upset with the server--that's the kitchen's fault. (I'd say if you ordered it rare and it's delivered burnt to shoe leather the server should have noticed and never brought it out--but that's a rare exception.) Just let the server know it isn't to your liking and ask if he could get another one. He can't read your mind.

It's like getting a massage. If you want more or less pressure, nicely say so--they want to give a great experience but can't read minds.

Perception.....some people you can never please...others are happy regardless

They would really have to screw me to get me upset....

Otherwise I know exactly what to expect.

I would say instead of perception that expectation is a better word.

People have heard about service during the golden age of cruising when it was not marketed for the masses. The service then was different than today but cruises cost 10X as much as they do today. People think that they are going to get that type service and when they don't they complain.

I have always had good service in over 20 mass market cruise line cruises, but there nothing exceptional about it.

If you want exceptional service go to Sea Dream or Seabourn, not Crystal, or Regent or Silversea, those first two are where exceptional service is provided.

I am Filipino, and I typically make it a point to talk to all the Filipino crew esp. Bartenders. Ask them about their family in the Philippines, etc. I always would get heavy pours, premium alcohol and fast service after a day or two.

O sige .:D

I think others have said it well.

treat them like you'd want to be treated.

Though I disagree about the talking about personal things, some just love to talk about their family and home, and arrive the next day with photos, but if they are busy let 'em get on with the job.

Expectations. Keep them realistic. Be easy to please. Enjoy where you are. Treat others how you would like to be treated! Smile please and thank you go a long way!!

Some people here post as if they feel they should be treated like Kate and William when they step on board.:p

Priceless statement above.....and let's add to that 'those people make sure everyone one in earshot knows it'.

Expectations. Keep them realistic. Be easy to please. Enjoy where you are. Treat others how you would like to be treated! Smile please and thank you go a long way!!

Some people here post as if they feel they should be treated like Kate and William when they step on board.:p

The funny bit is whilst they get fawned over Will and Kate, it seems, really don't demand much at all.

I think others have said it well.

treat them like you'd want to be treated.

Though I disagree about the talking about personal things, some just love to talk about their family and home, and arrive the next day with photos, but if they are busy let 'em get on with the job.

I agree.

A smile when talking with the crew or hello with a smile as you pass them in the hallway goes a long way. I do ask them where they are from and sometimes have a chat if they are not busy. In fact sometimes I have had to excuse myself from the chat as I am wanting to get to a lecture :). I think being perceptive of what they need to get done you will know if they want to chat or if they are too busy.

I also agree that sometimes people get on the ship and have unreal expectations.

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

I believe that comments about service "declines" are more about staff cutbacks and not about the service from individual crew members. Wine stewards have gone the way of the dial phone, fewer drink waiters, more tables per staff member in the MDR or buffet. This stretches the staff and results in a reduction in small details that would be noticed by long time cruisers.

White glove service, while excellent, makes me a bit uncomfortable. That is what is gone (and perhaps a couple of towel animals and a pillow chocolate) I am quite happy with the service that I receive from the crew. If you show interest in them, treat them with respect, and thank them for their efforts, you will not be disappointed.

I always try to treat the staff nicely, like I would want to be treated. Say please & thank you always. Smile a lot - I'm happy because I'm on vacation. Chat them up when I can, listen to their stories & tell them mine. I've always gotten really good service & tipped accordingly. I don't think there's any secret to it. Treat people well & it will be returned. That being said, we all have bad moments & bad days so if you occasionally get bad service maybe someone is just having a bad day.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As stated above - some people are just tough to please.

However, for us it is simple, we bring a couple small bags of chocolates from home. I won't name the company, but there is a theme park and town in Pennsylvania named after them. Leave a couple chocolates on the coffee table for your room attendant. Leave a couple more on the table when you leave dinner. We'll normally have the same server in the casino by the end of the week because I drop chocolates on their tray when they bring me a drink.

Less than $8 worth of candy generates some top notch service with a smile.

I love this idea!! "Thanks for the chocolates on our pillows, here are some for yours." Maybe a little corny and cutesey but so am I.

I agree.

A smile when talking with the crew or hello with a smile as you pass them in the hallway goes a long way. I do ask them where they are from and sometimes have a chat if they are not busy. In fact sometimes I have had to excuse myself from the chat as I am wanting to get to a lecture :). I think being perceptive of what they need to get done you will know if they want to chat or if they are too busy.

I also agree that sometimes people get on the ship and have unreal expectations.

This will be our first cruise but having worked in customer service for many years, I would say this would be a perfect approach. If they want to chat, great! I'm sure they have some fun stories to tell. But if not, let them get on with their job while still being polite and friendly.

It's not always unrealistic expectations. A lot depends on the crew member. We took back-to-back cruises in December. Our first cabin steward was so-so. He cleaned the room eventually each day, but not always by the time we wanted. Our second cabin steward was fantastic.

Edited by geoherb