What do you believe is the SECRET to getting good service when you cruise?

Paulette3028

It's not always unrealistic expectations. A lot depends on the crew member. We took back-to-back cruises in December. Our first cabin steward was so-so. He cleaned the room eventually each day, but not always by the time we wanted. Our second cabin steward was fantastic.

Yep, some are either not suited to the job, or have become jaded, same for some waiters and bar staff.

Same on land though.

I believe that comments about service "declines" are more about staff cutbacks and not about the service from individual crew members. Wine stewards have gone the way of the dial phone, fewer drink waiters, more tables per staff member in the MDR or buffet. This stretches the staff and results in a reduction in small details that would be noticed by long time cruisers.

White glove service, while excellent, makes me a bit uncomfortable. That is what is gone (and perhaps a couple of towel animals and a pillow chocolate) I am quite happy with the service that I receive from the crew. If you show interest in them, treat them with respect, and thank them for their efforts, you will not be disappointed.

So true about less staff, I always try to sail on a ship with a 2:1 ratio, or close thereto. Anything less and service suffers, anything more can be a bit overbearing.

I too don't like white glove service.

The funny bit is whilst they get fawned over Will and Kate, it seems, really don't demand much at all.

They don't need to demand much or anything -- they are real royalty and people want to be able to say they 'served them'.

I believe that comments about service "declines" are more about staff cutbacks and not about the service from individual crew members. Wine stewards have gone the way of the dial phone, fewer drink waiters, more tables per staff member in the MDR or buffet. This stretches the staff and results in a reduction in small details that would be noticed by long time cruisers.

White glove service, while excellent, makes me a bit uncomfortable. That is what is gone (and perhaps a couple of towel animals and a pillow chocolate) I am quite happy with the service that I receive from the crew. If you show interest in them, treat them with respect, and thank them for their efforts, you will not be disappointed.

I have to disagree. Today's waitstaff is not nearly as well trained or disciplined as the waitstaff of old. The majority of servers in MDR's these days are no better than you would find in any banquet hall or family style restaurant landside.

By the way, I enjoy white glove service, but don't expect it on a cruise line outside of the very high end specialty restaurants or something like Queen's Grill in Cunard. Perhaps that is one of the issues--cruise lines tend to market the experience as white glove when in most cases on a mass market line it is Closer to Outback. The lines themselves set unrealistic expectations.

Edited by ducklite

I have to disagree. Today's waitstaff is not nearly as well trained or disciplined as the waitstaff of old. The majority of servers in MDR's these days are no better than you would find in any banquet hall or family style restaurant landside.

By the way, I enjoy white glove service, but don't expect it on a cruise line outside of the very high end specialty restaurants or something like Queen's Grill in Cunard. Perhaps that is one of the issues--cruise lines tend to market the experience as white glove when in most cases on a mass market line it is Closer to Outback. The lines themselves set unrealistic expectations.

I believe there is truth (in my opinion, at least) in some of what both have to add here. Personally I don't need 'white glove service', just good service from the specific employee I interact with, and I usually get it. But yes, they have more tables to wait on and more rooms to be responsible. Every company in recent years (2008 and after) have been searching for ways to trim payrolls and get more done with less workers (nothing new -- this industry won't go unaffected).

I hope the staff gets the training but the delivery based on more tables (example) makes it more challenging, so staff 'picks and chooses' who to give their time to (would you spend more effort on someone who, you perceive may not appreciate it as much no matter how you try).

On the flip side....thank goodness the service isn't closer to Outback - It took us 30 years to finally go to an Outback for dinner, and we should have waited another 30 years before going....the dinner, service (everything was awful) -- we will NEVER go back --- but we are still cruising with Royal.

It used to be an honor to be chosen to serve wealthy patrons on an ocean liner. All serving staff spoke good English, were never familiar with guests, and saw the position as a lifetime profession. Waiters were considered professionals within their realm and the position required much more training on proper service than it does in today's drop and dash serving mentality.

Now it's a job to work for a few years to make money to send home to a third world country to buy a home or pay for an education for children. Servers are never given training on formal service, and would be as flabbergasted by the place setting for a true formal meal as the majority of guests would be.

FYI--Formal service requires nine pieces of flatware, two pieces of crockery, and three glasses plus a napkin when diners are first seated. Through the meal seven more dishes and five more pieces of flatware are provided. And yes, I had to check to be sure my numbers were correct. ;)

Personally I believe the cruise line can be responsible for the attitude of many of their customers, especially on the first days of the cruise, due to a long & poor embarkation process. ( not the crew's fault ) However as passengers we are excited & want to begin our holiday immediately, & may not be in the best of moods when boarding the ship from lack of answers & several delays.

We have always been very friendly to the housekeeping staff & MDR wait staff.

Agree with all the positive statements about Please & Thank You. Get to know the crew on a first name basis & be polite about asking for specific requests.

Example on the first day, I inquire about receiving a bucket of ice in the stateroom at 4pm everyday during the cruise. If these instructions are followed, that evening or the next morning we tip housekeeping directly.

Poor service is view by some when their meal is not to their liking. I suggest you listen to your head waiter for their main menu suggestions for that evening. They have done their homework. Personally I have never been disappointed about any meal using the server's suggestions.

We always use the automatic gratuity system & give others an additional tips for their excellent service. A big smile, a happy face, & genuine interest when talking to a crew member will ensure for a better cruising experience.

Especially in the MDR, the "decline" in service seems to be the fact that there is less wait staff per table, and more tables per staff, not so much that there is a "decline" in service of any one specific staff member....each individual has folks to take care of.

Edited by marco

We have never had bad service. We too follow the basic rules of respect and politeness. We have also found that we are always willing to share tables in the MDR. That makes it so much easier for the head waiters. They remember that. When we go back, they usually place us in good spots with the better waiters.

Cooperation and friendliness go a long way over scowls and hot demands...

We have never had bad service. We too follow the basic rules of respect and politeness. We have also found that we are always willing to share tables in the MDR. That makes it so much easier for the head waiters. They remember that. When we go back, they usually place us in good spots with the better waiters.

Cooperation and friendliness go a long way over scowls and hot demands...

There should never be a requirement to share a table in order to get good service. That makes no sense at all.

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

In our case just luck. We've been on 19 cruises and have only received bad service twice. Once on Royal Caribbean and more recently on the Triumph. Bad enough where we didn't add anything extra to the required amount of tips we pay per day.

In our case just luck. We've been on 19 cruises and have only received bad service twice. Once on Royal Caribbean and more recently on the Triumph. Bad enough where we didn't add anything extra to the required amount of tips we pay per day.

I believe that 'luck' is purely to be found at the intersection of 'smart planning' and 'excellent execution' -- therefore a description of that for a cruise would be 'I plan to have a great time, and let my euphoria be felt by those who I come into contact with' and 'Every time I interact with another I do so by starting out with an excellent attitude as displayed by my smile'.

Then luck surely delivers good results!

I think some of it really truly depends on the person, they may have an "off" day/week, don't we all? I know I have had times that I just can't wait for the week to end... so no matter what you do, it may not make any difference at the time...

But that being said, I have always taught my kids that you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar. If you are nice and respectful, then usually that is what you get back.

It also helps to try to get to know the people who are working in and around you. If you are by the person who is working your cabin - ask them a question or two. You might find out that they are the nicest person to get to know. Ask the person in the restaurant something about their home town.

Ask the person in the store what they did the last time they got off the ship...

I also try to tip a little more, and daily. I leave an envelope in the sink with $5 extra in it per adult person in the cabin. On a seven day cruise, that can add up, but it shows them that you appreciate them and what they are doing for you.

I guess I have the outlook of "how would I want to be treated if the roles were reversed", and that is how I try to act.

I'll leave with a story... My last cruise, I lost my camera on the ship. I was heart broken because every picture of my vacation was on that camera. I was in a suite and I let my concierge person know. When I left, it still had not been found, and I just knew that it was gone forever. Imagine my surprise when several weeks later, a small box with my camera was in my mailbox, and the last picture was of my concierge person holding a stuffed animal and a note that said "We found it".... To me, that was the best service ever... and a memory I will hold onto forever.

Over the last few years we have heard cruisers complain about the decline in service from crew and staff members. Yet, some cruisers seem to get great service -- what do you feel is the reason?

IMHO, the key is to be nice to those who serve you. Politeness, expressing appreciation for what they do and how hard they work, and showing interest in them as people with real lives all go a long way. I find that if you treat them well, they will treat you well.

I try to be reasonable in requests. For example, we like an extra duvet or two added to the bed to make it softer. I'll leave a note for the steward with a tip, and ask for the duvets 'at your convenience'.

Rather than grab them in the hall while they're running around doing a million things, or calling their supervisor/desk to have my request made urgent -- because it isn't.

In all cases, the steward adds the duvets while he's turning down the bed for the night. He didn't have to run to make a special trip, interrupt his regular routine, and I still got what I requested, in plenty of time.

Happy? Everyone.

I try very hard to say please and thank you with a smile. I learn the names of my room steward, waiter, etc. And I try really, really hard to leave my evil twin:eek:in the cabin.

We got an inside cabin near one of the larger suites once. The steward cleaned both theirs and ours and the service was excellent. Also, we were seated at the captain’s table once. Both the cabin steward and MDR wait staff were excellent as they had been doing their jobs quite a while and had worked themselves up to those positions. Although the captain only dined with us once, his family and officers rotated through occasionally on different nights. Both the service and food were wonderful the entire 14 day trip.

Of course, as mentioned, just being nice goes a long way although searching out those pockets of better service helps.

we never bother the room steward during his break time. They work all morning and then again in the evening. I would never call them in the afternoon unless it was an emergency. I try also not to make any requests of the divining room staff that would disturb their routine. Also never show up late for dinner. Disrespectful of the staff and table mates. I agree that smiles, please and thank you go along way. If they have children most like to tell you about them and show pictures. Never talk down or be disrespectful. We always tip extra on the last night.