Why do you bring food?

KatieBug28

I usually have peanut butter crackers in the event we want a little something to nibble while on a tour etc

I also bring a can of mixed nuts as my late DH liked to nibble peanuts with a cocktails on occasion.

To limit the sodium intake over the past few years, I've been known to pack a bottle of Tabasco sauce and shaker of Mrs Dash. I don't use them for every meal--just occasionally.

I also once went through a Red Vines addiction and brought a package on board for snacking that week. :D

I'm planning on bringing a bag of tortilla chips on the Conquest. I hear the Conquest has salsa but no chips. Yikes!:eek:

Pringles now sells Tortilla chips in the can.....just like the Pringles chips but tortilla chips. The can protects the chips from breaking and so much easier to pack then a bag.

Sent from my VS880 using Forums mobile app

I wil frequently bring some pre-packaged snacks like granola bars or crackers to bring on excursions. You cannot take food off of the ship unless it is pre-packaged. I generally don't buy much food in the ports, since the ship has plenty of food that I paid for. Therefore the snacks help me from getting too hungry while on shore.

That's actually a really good idea. I think we may look into doing the same. Probably get some protein bars so that we don't have to buy food on excursions. We can always make up for it by having a big dinner! Anyway, I always look for ways to save money, so thanks! :-)

We don't really bring food, but herself always brings tea bags, one cruise she even gave half a packet to the Barrista because when she ordered a cup of water he wanted to know what for [in a nice way] tried one, liked it and it helped his sea sickness crossing Bass Straight so she gave him what she thought would be the left overs. It was Ginger and some such thing tea that she swears by for sea sickness and he found t worked great for him too.

We will sometimes pick up something in post that we don't see at home, usually nuts or sweets of some sort.

But then we rarely eat lunch in port, and find it a nice break.

Though on one cruise late 90s or early 00s there was no ice cream bar or self serve ice cream [as most ships seem to have now] and we walked the town looking for an ice cream cone.

Pringles now sells Tortilla chips in the can.....just like the Pringles chips but tortilla chips. The can protects the chips from breaking and so much easier to pack then a bag.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those in Aus, have never noticed them.

Only once out of I don't know how many cruises.

And only because a TA sent us a gift of cookies. We thought that was a very odd thing to do.

We each get packaged shortbread in the cabin on RCI cruises but that is because of our reward level.

In 14 years of cruising, we have never packed a single food item to bring onboard -- talk about "Carrying coals to Newcastle" ;)!

And, of course, I understand why someone with small children (remember those years well :eek:), or a medical issue (like diabetes), would find it important to have appropriate snacks available, at all times. But, we either plan our meals onboard (before or after an excursion) -- or, we find something to eat, while we are in port. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Good to know, thx!

I thought people would be talking about bringing food onboard - especially from ports in Europe - but no one has mentioned this so far. I buy cheese and pastries in France and bring them onboard to enjoy after dinner and in Spain, I buy manchego cheese, chocolates and ham for before and after dinner. In Italy, I bring olive oil (to take home). In Belgium, I bought an assortment of chocolates. In Portugal, I bought the cinnamon and sugar donuts from Pasteis de Belem. So basically, we bring these onboard to sample some of the famous regional specialties.

We bring Ritz crackers as we order the cheese each night in the dining room that we take back to our cabin. It goes in a zip lock then our fridge. We usually eat it the next afternoon or take it with us for our cocktails before dinner.

And, you cannot bring booze aboard with you. It will be confiscated and you'll get it back the last night.

We brought nothing on board our first cruise and I have a crisp (chips) problem haha! So one of our first ports we bought crisps and a few other bits. For the rest of the cruise we bought crisps, chocolate and sweets in ports as extra memories of our trip.

Last year we cruised from the US so stocked up on snacks we did not get over here and bought little bits in port again...I really love perusing then buying foreign snacks!

By the way, theres a whole internet storm on tips on smuggling booze on a cruise....feel free to do if you want but check the risks first.

Edited by Velvetwater

We always travel with food either by car or plane since we have had kids. That being said I gluten free and we always bring something I can eat as it can be tough to travel and make sure I'm still eating safely! Protein bars will work in a pinch. Sometimes we do get food on shore too. I'm would just rather be prepared than hungry or listening to my kids (who never seem to stop eating- they are both growing like crazy) complain the are hungry!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by rdevine10

In 14 years of cruising, we have never packed a single food item to bring onboard -- talk about "Carrying coals to Newcastle" ;)!

And, of course, I understand why someone with small children (remember those years well :eek:), or a medical issue (like diabetes), would find it important to have appropriate snacks available, at all times. But, we either plan our meals onboard (before or after an excursion) -- or, we find something to eat, while we are in port. :cool:

or potatoes to Idaho - beans to Boston - poutine to Quebec.!:)

I can understand why others may have to bring food on board but we have never bothered. And isn't eating in port part of experiencing the various cultures while traveling?:confused:

Edited by DirtyDawg

I do bring some sort of snacks...as somebody else said for port days. We usually do all beaches for our ports so to sit on a beach for how many hours you tend to get a bit peckish and then later on we'll buy lunch. We usually have some cocktails so the snacks also help with absobing some of that.:)

I agree. I think it is wacky that people bring food on board.

I ALWAYS bring food OFF the ship that is not packaged. Not a rule that you can't. Just can't bring fruits off the ship.

We bring sandwiches, cereal boxes and other snacks when we travel for the day, especially on a sightseeing tour so we don't waste time stopped 1 1/2 hours in a restaurant. Crazy!

And if you think you may want a snack in your room, there is enough food on board you ca n either get it when you want it or bring fruits, cookies or whatever to your room and save it for when you want it.

You'll find some people do the wackiest things on the ship, like pay extra for for dinner when they have already paid for the cruise, which comes with dinner in a formal dining room (Oops, that's a different discussion).

I think it's mostly chips, candy, things not commonly included on a cruise except at high prices in the store. As for Tabasco that some have mentioned, I have seen it available everywhere in the world and on every cruise ship for sure.

I ALWAYS bring food OFF the ship that is not packaged. Not a rule that you can't. Just can't bring fruits off the ship.

We bring sandwiches, cereal boxes and other snacks when we travel for the day, especially on a sightseeing tour so we don't waste time stopped 1 1/2 hours in a restaurant. Crazy!

What I do might be wacky - but what you are doing is illegal and may have you paying a steep fine or arrested. You are right, there is no rule.... just laws. Crazy!

And if you think you may want a snack in your room, there is enough food on board you ca n either get it when you want it or bring fruits, cookies or whatever to your room and save it for when you want it.

You'll find some people do the wackiest things on the ship, like pay extra for for dinner when they have already paid for the cruise, which comes with dinner in a formal dining room (Oops, that's a different discussion).

can 100% guarantee you that in some parts of the world it is not just a rule but a LAW with severe penalties if caught.

Chewing gum. My daughter chews for anxiety and the price on board is steep when I buy it by the case at Costco. I also toss in a couple candy/granola bars as I would at home.

I've never seen chewing gum for sale on board.