Hal cutting back on musicians

Bubba54

Just off of the Statendam. While on board I learned that Hal has ended Solo guitarists on vista class ships and thinking of taking it fleet wide. They will also no longer provide singers for the Hal cats and cutting out the saxophonist. I find this very sad as I enjoy the music in the lounges. I always thought Hal was above the pack now they seem to be sliding to the middle.

Just off of the Statendam. While on board I learned that Hal has ended Solo guitarists on vista class ships and thinking of taking it fleet wide. They will also no longer provide singers for the Hal cats and cutting out the saxophonist. I find this very sad as I enjoy the music in the lounges. I always thought Hal was above the pack now they seem to be sliding to the middle.

That was our experience recently on the Noordam. The steel drum player was EVERWHERE :eek: Lido Pool, Sea View Pool, Half Moon Cay at Captain's Morgan, steel drum lessons at the aft pool every other day ... :eek: There are sure getting their money's worth out of that one musician. Hopefully, this is just for Caribbean itineraries. Would be very sad to see in Alaska or the Mediterranean

I heard that in 2016 there would be a Kazoo player with free lessons

every day on the aft deck.

(bring your own Kazoo or there will be rentals available)

Edited by earljr

And it is now the Adagio Duo -- just a piano player and a violin player.

Yes, I noticed that as well.

Just off the Statendam as well. We enjoyed listening to Adagio almost every night, as we do every cruise. I made a point of praising them on the post-cruise survey, adding that I hope HAL will continue having them. IMO they're the best music provided on HAL cruises.

Robert and Olivia were excellent!!

But they solidified their ties to music! I know, because I read the propaganda right here on CC. They hired real live musicians to perform at the big announcement. They're paying for the Lincoln Center brand! They're paying for the B.B. King brand! Maybe buying into marketing and branding doesn't leave much in the budget for musicians.

There's always the piped-in recorded music, and the singing waiters. And they get the Billboard brand by letting the paying passengers do the singing (and paying for it). Does that count as "solidified"?

That was our experience recently on the Noordam. The steel drum player was EVERWHERE :eek: Lido Pool, Sea View Pool, Half Moon Cay at Captain's Morgan, steel drum lessons at the aft pool every other day ... :eek: There are sure getting their money's worth out of that one musician. Hopefully, this is just for Caribbean itineraries. Would be very sad to see in Alaska or the Mediterranean

That was the same with the steel drum player on the Eurodam in March. At least he had a guy that set up for him and then hauled his "stuff" to the next venue :D

In the Ocean bar the group that played nightly was called the "Band". There was no singer with them but the folks who came to dance didn't care a bit - in fact for us "sitters" it was nice to have good music playing and not having to try to talk over a singer or seeming rude by talking during a performance.

The piano bar guy was so popular that by the last 2 nights they moved him up to the Crow's Nest where there was room for everyone to find a seat and the bonus of a dance floor many chose to use.

We didn't go to the Lido pool so I don't know what music they had there but if the "steel drum guy" wasn't playing at the Sea View Pool there was piped in music.

The BB King show had a full house for all of their shows in the Queen's Lounge. On our cruise they didn't do a show in the "Mainstage" venue but did have one night off when karaoke took it's place.

Cutting musicians at times when people would like to enjoy a pre-dinner drink in a lounge may lead to unintended consequences for HAL. On the Noordam in January, there was no music in the Crow's Nest for 2nd Seating guests to enjoy with their pre-dinner drink. Very few people were observed; it was a very quiet lounge. I felt sorry for the bartender and stewards. If they cut the music in the Ocean Bar as well, their beverage sales will suffer, I would predict.

Let's not forget that HAL is adding the BB King Blues Club! A long shot better than the cuts mentioned below.

igraf

No doubt in my mind that the BB King group addition is a positive, with one qualification: some of the groups are better and have a wider range of music that they play than others.

But, that style of music is not what I think many HAL cruisers would like during a pre-dinner drink in the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest.

Let's not forget that HAL is adding the BB King Blues Club! A long shot better than the cuts mentioned below.

igraf

I so agree! I should have said Adagio and BB King are the best entertainment on HAL ships. Just wish BB King could be on all the ships. We really enjoyed them on the Eurodam.

No doubt in my mind that the BB King group addition is a positive, with one qualification: some of the groups are better and have a wider range of music that they play than others.

But, that style of music is not what I think many HAL cruisers would like during a pre-dinner drink in the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest.

I absolutely agree with you. BB King group is not going to help anything in those bars. Very sad, for us who like to drink in these particular venues.

The musicians' cabins aren't in the public areas, so it's probably more about salaries.

I heard that it will be three portable CD players and six CD's. They plan to rotate the CD's between ships.

That's ridiculous! It's going to be a jukebox, so that it can be part of the revenue stream. :D

Seattle, Wash., March 18, 2015 — Holland America Line announced today the launch of Lincoln Center Stage, a new onboard live music venue created in an exclusive partnership with Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts — a leader in artistic programming, arts and education and community relations.

Under the exclusive partnership, each Lincoln Center Stage will showcase an ensemble performing chamber music. These world-class musicians will perform multiple programs nightly. On those occasions when guests are enjoying a leisurely day at sea aboard ship, the ensemble also will play afternoon recitals.

“Classical music has been one of the many hallmarks of a Holland America Line cruise, and to partner with an organization as esteemed as Lincoln Center takes our program to an entirely new level,” said Orlando Ashford, president of Holland America Line. “We are excited about this opportunity and look forward to bringing the best of this musical genre to our guests.”

“Lincoln Center is delighted to partner with Holland America Line, a company that shares a commitment to excellence for its customers,” said Jed Bernstein, president of Lincoln Center. “How marvelous that there will be a brand-new setting for wonderful and classic performances."

Lincoln Center Stage will debut on ms Eurodam in January 2016 and on ms Koningsdam as part of the Music Walk complex and on ms Oosterdam in April 2016. Programming on additional ships will be announced at a later date..."

Unfortunately, they do not say whether this is one, two three four or more musicians. Their lawyerly weasel words could mean a chamber music cd :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, they do not say whether this is one, two three four or more musicians. Their lawyerly weasel words could mean a chamber music cd :rolleyes:

An earlier press release described what's known as a "piano quintet", which is traditionally a piano, two violins, a viola, and a cello. A nice ensemble for chamber music.

As for weasel words, it's unlikely that HAL would be willing to pay for a "world class" piano quintet. In the world of professional music, cruise ship gigs are a gnereally a steppingstone to a serious career, or a last resort when a career is not going too well. In the world of classical chamber music, a cruise ship gig is not very welcome on a resume.

With luck, the musicians will be good, and the repertoire won't be too much in the Muzak vein. But in the end, this whole "partnership" is all about marketing the Lincoln Center and Holland America brands.