Behind the scenes tour?

paulsen02

I posted on another thread that we are debating the Westerdam or Amsterdam for Alaska. It just occurred to me that I had read Behind the Scenes Tours might be offered on Vista class ships. Can anyone verify if this is the case? My husband and his dad would love this and that would sway my decision to the Westerdam for sure if we might be able to take advantage of this type of tour. Thanks much!

I do know for sure that the Behind the Scenes Tour is usually--not always--offered on the Vista and Signature Class ships. I do not know about the Amsterdam. I have sailed on her twice and do not recall seeing such an opportunity on the Amsterdam.

I posted on another thread that we are debating the Westerdam or Amsterdam for Alaska. It just occurred to me that I had read Behind the Scenes Tours might be offered on Vista class ships. Can anyone verify if this is the case? My husband and his dad would love this and that would sway my decision to the Westerdam for sure if we might be able to take advantage of this type of tour. Thanks much!

I took my Behind the Scenes tour on the Oosterdam and found it the highlight of my cruise. Subsequent attempts to take them found the tours cancelled for lack of interest. If you really want to make it happen, encourage your friends to take the tour. Sign-up at the Front Desk as soon as you embark.

Here is a link to my photographs of the Oosterdam tour:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/hal-ms-oosterdam/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/

I read we would sign up on board. Do you think HAL would know ahead of time if it will be offered on a particular sailing if I contact them? Thanks again!

No, I don't. From my experience, whether the tour is offered or not, has to do with the ship's management (my first Noordam cruise this January--no tour was available, but on the following cruise, it was available) and, if made available, the number of people who sign up for it.

If the Front Desk people tell you it is not available, check back daily. I found on the Noordam, even when the tour was printed in the On Location sheet, I was told by a Front Desk person that the tour WAS NOT available. I had to be persistent and eventually the man called the Guest Relations Manager who confirmed that I was correct.

Great photos. Do you tend to get them right first time or do you bracket them and delete more than you keep?

Thanks for the compliment.

All of the images were taken with my Canon S100 P&S in Camera Raw so I had to tweak every photograph that I took. If my memory is correct, I only discarded five of the images that were corrupted by glare.

It must be noted that we were in the storage lockers for just a few moments and not enough time to capture all of the contents of the lockers.

Our friends were very interested in this tour until they saw the $150 per person price tag. Different things are important to different people, though. I've heard it's been the highlight for many passengers but just wouldn't be worth $300 to us. Different strokes and all!

We have had modifications of the behind the scenes tour on the Amsterdam in the past - at no charge. The kitchens were amazing. Do admit, the behind the scenes tour looks fantastic - thanks for the pictures. If you ask at the front desk, sometimes they can organize a tour of some of the engineering spaces as an informal tour. My DH did one last year and loved it even though it was just a peek.

Tour participants get a fair amount of "HAL swag" as part of the tour. Roger can probably elaborate. I wanted to take the tour last fall on the Nieuw Amsterdam, but my father in law didn’t once he saw the price.

Is this tour offered on Alaska cruises? Debating between the N Amsterdam and the Volundam (or something like that, lol! haven't got the names down yet!)

We would LOVE such a tour, no matter the price!

If it's offered, it would be offered on the NA. As previously stated, the tours are only offered on the Signature and Vista class ships. Volendam is an R class ship.

It is a great tour. Upon completion of the tour, we sat down for a drink and appetizers with the tour guide (marketing manager). We also received some swag which differs by ship. On the Noordam, we received a Behind the Scenes book written by the Captain's wife. Some have reported receiving shot glasses and other items.

For those having issues with the pricing, I get that $150 is a fair bit of money. I considered it as a shore excursion but at sea. And, I enjoyed it more than some shorex for which I paid more.

OP here… I did a chat with HAL and they said "a 'behind the scenes tour' is not something we offer." I then asked about a galley tour, she said "I have been advised that we no longer offer galley tours." So I said it sounds like there are no tours of any part of any ship and she responded "I was advised that we no longer offer galley tours specifically, that does not exclude taking a tour of the ship as a whole there are no specific scheduled tours of the ship. You can certainly request this once on board from your cruise director or the front desk." Then I asked about the Amsterdam vs Westerdam (as this is Vista class), and she said “I cannot guarantee that a tour would be offered on either ship it is only a request that can be made once you board.” I am not sure what it would be called but apparently not behind the scenes or galley – but hey, if we could get any kind of tour we’d be happy!:rolleyes:

The ship will only offer the tour if there is enough interest.

I agree with your statement as far as it goes.

On my January 5, 2015 Noordam cruise, there was NO interest from ship management to offer such a tour. 11 days later, on a shorter 10 day cruise, surprisingly, there WAS such an interest.

I maintain that whether the tour is available or not is dependent upon the ship's management. The availability of whomever to "lead" the tour is, of course, of vital importance.

It was offered on the Zuiderdaam in 2013. There's only a dozen spots and the tour is 5 hours over two days.

Loved it.... only issue was making sure I was not double-booked with a shore excursion in Ketchikan.

We took the tour on the Eurodam in March and it was the best $150 pp we have ever spent on an "excursion"! Plus you get a complimentary noontime cocktail party and gifts (A HAL coffee mug, plastic glass that lights up psychedelically, a ships model (that's $30 alone in the shops), and a copy of Susan Scott's book on "Behind the Scenes - Driving the Hotel".)

If you're thing is ziplining or guided shopping for discount watches, you might not consider this a good deal. But if you are always wondering how they launder all those sheets or tailor all the uniforms on board or store all those goodies for a long passage, this is one not to be missed.

Ours was limited to 14 people and it was full. We also got to tour the engine room - I am told this is not always on the tour.

Edited by SabreSailor

• 1 month later...

We did the Behind the Scenes tour onboard Nieuw Amsterdam last July, and it was great. I posted a lot of photos of the tour in my cruise review (starting from page 5). There was also a separate, short and free Galley tour. It's good to know that the Behind the Scenes tour is nowadays always scheduled on a port day, because of security reasons, so it's difficult to combine with excursions.

We got the Behind the Scenes book, a HAL cookbook, pins, a photo of the Ship and also a photo of us posing with the Captain. The tour was from about 1 PM to 5 PM, including cocktails and canapés in the Ocean Bar.

On most cruises they offer a tour of the galley. We have been on the bridge & did a behind the scene tour of the show room where they change. Have never been to the engine room which I would like to see. The bridge tour was by invitation only, we went with people who got an invite.

Allan

We loved our behind the scene tour on Princess for $150. Just a year and half ago on the Emerald. We got to go to the engine room, crew quarters, laundry, print shop, photo print shop, hospital area, stage area and kitchen with all the storage areas, plus a wonderful trip to the bridge, what a view.

There was a ships photographer with us as well and took our picture at the different stops and with the captain on the bridge. While in the kitchen, they gave us desserts and punch. Afterwards in one of lounges they served appetizers and champagne. When we got back to our room later there were 2 plush robes, blue striped aprons, note pads with out name on them, photo frames, copies of all the pictures they took with us and canvas tote bags. The goodies cost far more than the $150 the tour cost.

It was limited to 12 people and was not advertised, we just inquired at the front desk upon boarding. This tour filled fast.

Hope to do one on Holland as well.