Mitsugirly takes great PRIDE in bringing her Spring Break extreme review

mitsugirly

Yep, still holds true. They know when Spring Break month(s) are and the prices rise. This year we cruised during Spring Break and we paid 3x the amount we normally do to cruise on the Pride. :eek: But I bit the bullet and did it because I really wanted to cruise the Pride and go to new places I hadn't been to before. We had a great time and glad we went. I'll just have to pay the price again. In the past, we have usually cruised during "off season" when the kids are in school, but I don't think they are liking it too much at her school (taking her out 2-3 times during the school year). They always approve it, she does her homework/make-up work, but still. :(

I am a former teacher and I still regularly substitute. The older the child gets, the harder it is to miss school because they miss so much new work that builds on each previous lessons. So, when they get back they have so much to try and learn to catch up.

A lot of people do not know this, but state school districts vary how they pay the schools. Some states pay based on the enrollment at the start of the school year, so much per child enrolled, and get their yearly stipend on that first figure. Other states pay based on the daily attendance. Meaning the school gets their money for the kids that are in school that day and each day is different.

In Maryland it was on a yearly basis so some travel absences were tolerated, but when we lived in Kentucky, that was a day to day one and they were so strict about missing school. The Principal used to come to houses to visit the kids to check to see if they were really sick. We lived in a small town. No way they would approve a vacation leave of absence.

• 1 month later...
Love you reviews! Wondering if you have done the day pass at The Melia Resort? Cruising on the Pride in February. Thanks!!

Melia in Nassau? If so, then yes and the review is under "Bahamas" and then Nassau: Melia. :)

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoy the reviews. :)

Melia in Nassau? If so, then yes and the review is under "Bahamas" and then Nassau: Melia. :)

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoy the reviews. :)

Thank you for the Melia review. It looks like we might try the Hilton Colonial instead! Your review of the Pride has me very excited for our upcoming cruise :)

WOW! Thanks for such a great review! We are doing the same cruise in July and are so excited. The port information was so useful! We paid top dollar too so we are not doing excursions. You didn't go to the beach at Freeport-but how far was it from the ship?

Also, I must know, what camera are you using? They are great pics and it takes underwater shots too?

WOW! Thanks for such a great review! We are doing the same cruise in July and are so excited. The port information was so useful! We paid top dollar too so we are not doing excursions. You didn't go to the beach at Freeport-but how far was it from the ship?

Also, I must know, what camera are you using? They are great pics and it takes underwater shots too?

Thanks for the awesome comments.

Which beach are you referring to? We were thinking about going to a few different ones when I was originally doing my research.

I have 2 cameras, both Olympus Tough. Model 620 & 830. :D Yes, they take all the pictures including the underwater ones you will find in all my reviews. :)

mykindaparty

Sent out a calling for you to email me on here but it keeps getting deleted for some reason so I am trying it this way. I a going to Burmuda in april and was hoping you could email me your directions on thins yu did or suggest something to do we enjoy an adventure so walking and things are good. If you have the time please send me some info to ------------- thanks so much for your help and I love your reviews.

I seen a response email that you were asking about things to do while in Bermuda (not really sure why it was posted on this particular thread since I didn't go to Bermuda on the Pride) and they keep getting deleted. The reason it is probably being deleted is that you are giving out personal information (such as your email address...which I have omitted from the quote above).

If you look in my signature line, you'll find links to the reviews I did while on the Breakaway and Dawn to Bermuda this past year. There's a section for "Bermuda" and it shows every place we went and what we did. Everything we have done, while in Bermuda, is located in those reviews. So anything outside of that, I couldn't comment on or recommend since we have never done anything else yet. I hope that helps. :)

So we are sitting and waiting for our plane to come in and they came over the loud speaker asking anyone that would be willing to catch the 10pm flight home, they would reward you by giving you a $300 gift card. The hubby looked at me and said...we should so do that! But, I was ready to get home and no way did I want to arrive at the airport at home at 11pm, get a ride home, unload the vehicle and get settled in. That would defeat the purpose of trying to get Sakari off to school the next day.

Does anyone1 know how these things work? I mean they really didn't say "how many" people they needed to do this. Had they needed 3 people (seats) and we all did this, would they have really given us $900? Is this gift card (visa/mastercard I believe???) good for anything? Or just on airflight tickets? (Still would be very useful to someone like us who fly a lot).

Yes, you would each get a $300 giftcard/credit, assuming they needed 3 volunteers, so a total of $900. Typically it can only be used for that airline. You can always ask when you are checking in or ask at the gate if they need volunteers. You don't have to wait for them to ask. We have a very flexible schedule and have gotten many credits that way over the years. Typically the amount of the credit depends on how long you have to wait for the next flight. Depending on the timing, you sometimes get other perks. For example, we have gotten breakfast while we waited, upgrade to first class on the next flight, and overnight stay in the airport hotel at various times in addition to the credit. Sometimes they only need one volunteer, so there have been times when hubby flew and I waited for the next flight.

Yes, you would each get a $300 giftcard/credit, assuming they needed 3 volunteers, so a total of $900. Typically it can only be used for that airline. You can always ask when you are checking in or ask at the gate if they need volunteers. You don't have to wait for them to ask. We have a very flexible schedule and have gotten many credits that way over the years. Typically the amount of the credit depends on how long you have to wait for the next flight. Depending on the timing, you sometimes get other perks. For example, we have gotten breakfast while we waited, upgrade to first class on the next flight, and overnight stay in the airport hotel at various times in addition to the credit. Sometimes they only need one volunteer, so there have been times when hubby flew and I waited for the next flight.

Good information to know. I probably should have done it (providing they had 3 spaces available). Although my situation has changed since this particular cruise, so I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anymore. We now fly for free (at least for the next year+). But I will keep it in mind if things ever change (since you would only be able to use the $$ for the airline itself). Thanks for the info and experiences. :)

I just wanted to thank you for such wonderful reviews. I'm new to cruising...I had one disastrous one where I swore I'd never do it again but I decided to man up and try it again. I booked the other day.. Pride out of Baltimore Oct 2016.

I've read all your reviews and they're great..I've learned a lot so thank you for taking the time to do them.

Great review and wonderful pictures!

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I just wanted to thank you for such wonderful reviews. I'm new to cruising...I had one disastrous one where I swore I'd never do it again but I decided to man up and try it again. I booked the other day.. Pride out of Baltimore Oct 2016.

I've read all your reviews and they're great..I've learned a lot so thank you for taking the time to do them.

You are so welcome. I really hope this cruise turns out a lot different than your last. I try to always stay on the positive side and not let things ruin it for me (if you've read any of my previous reviews, you'll see I have broke bones x2 on cruises, been stranded at the airport missing flights and so on. I just don't let it get me down).

We loved the Pride...just not cruising from a cold weather port. Have a great time!!! :)

Hi Kim! I stumbled upon your review this morning and have spent all day reading it! Thanks for posting such wonderful pictures and details. I'm hoping you'll give me your thoughts on this question... I'm looking into the Pride right now because it is so close to home. This would replace our planned cruise on the Magic. How do you think the Pride compares to a Dream class ship (especially for the kids?) I was so looking forward to the Magic, but I help reconsider to save so much money. What are some of the bells and whistles we might miss if we switch to the Pride?

Hi Kim! I stumbled upon your review this morning and have spent all day reading it! Thanks for posting such wonderful pictures and details. I'm hoping you'll give me your thoughts on this question... I'm looking into the Pride right now because it is so close to home. This would replace our planned cruise on the Magic. How do you think the Pride compares to a Dream class ship (especially for the kids?) I was so looking forward to the Magic, but I help reconsider to save so much money. What are some of the bells and whistles we might miss if we switch to the Pride?

If you can save a lot more money AND be able to drive there because it's closer to port, I would personally pick the Pride. Since I haven't been on the Magic, I can't comment on it, but the Dream has less than the Magic, like for instance the ropes course. Now the Pride doesn't have that, but it does have the waterworks, kids water playground (you didn't say the ages) and the green thunder!!! It also has the Guys Burger (which I don't think the Magic has). But the Magic does have the burrito bar (as well as the Pride). I just loved the Pride (and I'm sure I would love the Magic as well). Oh, the steak house in the funnel and all red...really beautiful too! :)

When I look for ships, I'm looking for the water slides area and outdoor playground type things, Guys Burger, burrito bar and everything else is "extra". :D I also take into consideration the atrium. I know, it may sound weird, but those are the first few things I look for on a ship. Then all the other stuff. Of course the ports play a factor in it as well. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I absolutely loved your review. Took me 2 days but would go thru it again and will before our cruise on Pride April 23.

Funny thing is I have been on Pride and now know from your review where all the good stuff is. I also go FTTF but wondering if I should cancel it

Can't wait for your Bermuda review ,my daughters are going in July. I have been there before and loved it

Went on MSC line out of Miami for Christmas holiday cruise with my whole family . The ship was elegant and I am a cruiser,usually 2 or 3 times a year but this line is breathtaking. They are buildinding their own private island right off of Freeport and sounds awesome.

Thanks again

:)

I absolutely loved your review. Took me 2 days but would go thru it again and will before our cruise on Pride April 23.

Funny thing is I have been on Pride and now know from your review where all the good stuff is. I also go FTTF but wondering if I should cancel it

Can't wait for your Bermuda review ,my daughters are going in July. I have been there before and loved it

Went on MSC line out of Miami for Christmas holiday cruise with my whole family . The ship was elegant and I am a cruiser,usually 2 or 3 times a year but this line is breathtaking. They are buildinding their own private island right off of Freeport and sounds awesome.

Thanks again

:)

I personally got the FTTF for the simple fact that we always carry a bunch of pop (soda) with us onboard and it becomes quite heavy to lug it around. By getting the FTTF, we are allowed access to our room as soon as we board and we wanted that. But, then once we checked in at the port, they allowed us to check our pop in as well and we didn't have to carry any of it. :p So the only other benefit was that we could get priority tender, which was at their private island. So, in our case, it really wasn't worth it. My daughter didn't have it and she was able to board at the same time as us since she arrived with us. :)

We had an awesome time in Bermuda last year...so much that we went twice. :p Hopefully you'll find some useful information within that review.

Where is the coin on Pride

It's up on the sports deck by the putt putt area if I remember correctly. :)