Would you cruise on a ship with no pool?

OceanCruise

We love the beach but do not use the pool at all. If we want to sit in the sun we will use our balcony or a quiet deck area. We won't use public hot tubs because I can't stand the thought of all those germs. I was thinking about how expensive it must be for the maintentance of the pool, hot tubs, towels, staff, etc. I kind of wonder how much of the cruise fare subsidizes these.(I do realize that ships try to offer something for everyone) Just curious-does anyone else not use the pool or are we the only ones?

I never go into public pools or hot tubs. I'm not a germaphobe, but sharing water that goes over my entire body with people I don't know grosses me out. I wouldn't even use a tub in my stateroom if I had one. Unless I've cleaned it, my body isn't going to soak in it.

I don't use the pools either. Too many people. And the outside hot tubs never seem hot enough. The only one I use is the big one in the gym on the Voyager-class ships.

I don't get how one of the first negatives people list about RCCL (or other lines) is "salt-water pools." I don't know how that could be a big determining factor on which line you choose.

I never go into public pools or hot tubs. I'm not a germaphobe, but sharing water that goes over my entire body with people I don't know grosses me out. I wouldn't even use a tub in my stateroom if I had one. Unless I've cleaned it, my body isn't going to soak in it.
This is me! :D

I do need to have a towel for sitting on, so don't take those away. We came close to getting in the pool once on a sea day to Hawaii (it was very hot!) and then found it had been closed because of a "fecal accident." :eek: No kidding...that's what the sign said.

Instead of a pool, how about just a bunch of those misting showers all over the deck areas. We do need to stay cool on those hot sea days. Although DH and I don't get into the pools or the hot tub's, we do use the pool showers to achieve this.

We always find the pools too cold for swimming, the hot tubs aren't much more than lukewarm, either. Even on the hottest days, I am never able to get more than up to my knees in the pool, it's so icy. Plus, I have never been able to tolerate splashing kids and the crowds around the pool area. We also go up a deck, or all the way forward to another sunning area.

The exception, for us, has been the T-pool on Celebrity Infinity and the pool in the adult spa area on NCL Star. Not only is the water warm enough, but we like the environment better.

I would not miss the pool if it were not there. Too crowded and noisy for me. I'll vote for those misting showers. They have them in las Vegas at some of the pools and they are great. I don't mind being in the "pool area", but sitting crammed in "cheek by jowl" (or what ever other body parts are nearby!!!) is not my idea of relaxing. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!!

We love the beach but do not use the pool at all. If we want to sit in the sun we will use our balcony or a quiet deck area. We won't use public hot tubs because I can't stand the thought of all those germs.

Ah, but don't the fish poop in the ocean? ;)

I was thinking about how expensive it must be for the maintentance of the pool, hot tubs, towels, staff, etc. I kind of wonder how much of the cruise fare subsidizes these.

No offense--and I'm just curious... are you suggesting that passengers who choose not to use the pools and hot tubs are 'subsidizing' those who choose to use them and that there should be an extra charge for passengers who wish to use those facilities?

I'm a lap swimmer (5 to 6 days a week April through October, when our pool is open) but I never use the pools on the ships. For one thing, they seem so small! Can't do any serious laps and I'm just not one to frolic in the water. I'm also not a sun worshiper but I do enjoy the solarium area, probably because it is so quiet.

As for the complaint about RCCL ships having salt water pools, I recently toured the Celebrity Infinity and asked about the pools there and was told they are also salt water.

All that being said, I do think the ships should have pools. I feel very fortunate to have access to a pool at home, but many people don't and enjoy the pools as part of their cruise vacation.

I have never used the sess pools or the vomitus hotubs. LOL ;)

I watch the color of the pool turn from crystal blue at 6am to mud pie green /brown by 4 in the afternoon. (no thanks.) This also goes for the Solarium Pool because as always poopaloopas get brought in their swimmies by their parents, even against ship rules and guidelines.

I prefer to sit on my balcony or the deck above pool deck.

The feces fandango in the green pee pool is not my thing. :eek:

*I* don't use the pools much myself, but I do go in occasionally, and my older teens use them a lot. On the Enchantment last month, the water in the pools was QUITE warm. They used the hot tubs, too, but not too much, because THEY complained that there were "too many little kids" in them!!! (I thought that was funny)

Pools are a DEFINITE part of cruising, and the lines will NEVER build ships without them, and I think that that's a good thing. Each of us has preferred and different amenities on board; that's what makes the world go 'round. *I* could certainly live without a cigar lounge! ;)

Carol

*I* don't use the pools much myself, but I do go in occasionally, and my older teens use them a lot. On the Enchantment last month, the water in the pools was QUITE warm. They used the hot tubs, too, but not too much, because THEY complained that there were "too many little kids" in them!!! (I thought that was funny)

Pools are a DEFINITE part of cruising, and the lines will NEVER build ships without them, and I think that that's a good thing. Each of us has preferred and different amenities on board; that's what makes the world go 'round. *I* could certainly live without a cigar lounge! ;)

Carol

As *I*could certainly live without Adventure Play Land (or whatever its called) :D

I tried to reply and my post went to never never land...I hope it doesn't show up twice.

We never use the pools. We have our own pool that we can use all year, so it isn't a big deal. I do understand the appeal to those that only have access to a pool when they are on vacation. That is the way it was when I was a kid. So, I wouldn't miss the pool because I want to swim in them. I would miss the atmosphere...fun and relaxed....the smell of coconut oil...the pina coladas.....! Dang, six months until my next cruise!

I do not use the pools that much,once in awhile if I have nothing better to do, but love the Hot tubs and have never gotten sick, not once. I do plan to try the new surfing pool on the Freedom and the new hot tubs.

And on the Serenade thru Panama Canal we used the water slide because there were no kids using it :D

This germ stuff is silly to me. I go to the pool, sauna and hot tub in the gym.And if you ask me the equipment has more germs than they do. And I sure hope you NEVER put you hands on a rails anywhere , escalators and so on, and I hope you never shake anyone hands, what if they had their finger up their noses:eek: ???? HEHEHE

Archived