Taking beer on board.

Swivel Guts

• 3 months later...
Your welcome!

We had no idea you could do that!

Our bar tender told us that.

Denise

I was just looking for info on a happy hour promotion and came across your very welcome information. Do you recall what time the half price offer is please?

I was just looking for info on a happy hour promotion and came across your very welcome information. Do you recall what time the half price offer is please?

It's buy one, get the 2nd for $1. Essentially it's two for one, but with an extra 50 cents each.

You're being ripped off mate, $15 for 6 bottles of wine at Dan Murphy's in Oz. :cool:

Eww! What kind of wine is that? Hard to Down? 😫

Sounds like you're all about the buzz & not at all about taste.

Idea: Skip buying some of that cheap alcohol before the cruise. Save some money and enjoy a nice cruise experience. You might find that you feel good about your slimmer belly while enjoying a nice drink at one of the bars onboard.

I don't drink, but I would assume beer cans are the same size as soda cans. Just remove the soda and replace with the beer you like. I would use clear package tape. Nobody will notice or care.

That would give you a six-pack of totally FLAT beer. Ughhhh

That would give you a six-pack of totally FLAT beer. Ughhhh

I don't at all condone or support the smuggling of beer or any other prohibited beverage or item, and in fact would support the passenger being immediately denied boarding or removed from the ship for such behavior, but have to wonder why the beer would be flat?

You bet, Ocean Bar or Crows nest 4-5pm.

Denise:)

Thank you - much appreciated. I just looked at the 6 bottle price of $28.75 and thought that COULD change into $14.38 at happy hour. Now you're talking!!!!!

I don't at all condone or support the smuggling of beer or any other prohibited beverage or item, and in fact would support the passenger being immediately denied boarding or removed from the ship for such behavior, but have to wonder why the beer would be flat?

I think the poster thought the suggestion meant to open cans and switch contents. But the idea is to switch full cans and reseal the packaging the cans are in.

I am NOT condoning smuggling, just passing on a tidbit I read in a "how to" thread on another board, NCL or Carnival IIRC. People can be quite ingenious.

It does annoy be that we can't bring on any beer. There are so many interesting micros with a small distribution range, and we'd like to be able to try some without having to spend our shore time in a bar. Just a couple of bottles is all I'm asking. Anything we would buy in port (amber/red ales, IPAs, porters) would not decrease my onboard spending on HAL's beer, which is ZERO.

I think the poster thought the suggestion meant to open cans and switch contents. But the idea is to switch full cans and reseal the packaging the cans are in.

I am NOT condoning smuggling, just passing on a tidbit I read in a "how to" thread on another board, NCL or Carnival IIRC. People can be quite ingenious.

It does annoy be that we can't bring on any beer. There are so many interesting micros with a small distribution range, and we'd like to be able to try some without having to spend our shore time in a bar. Just a couple of bottles is all I'm asking. Anything we would buy in port (amber/red ales, IPAs, porters) would not decrease my onboard spending on HAL's beer, which is ZERO.

I hadn't thought about switching the contents of the cans which obviously not only would lead to flat beer but also a potentially giant wet mess. :eek: Of course I'm always amused by folks sharing their smuggling strategies in a public forum like CC. Do they really think the cruise lines don't visit and read these kind of threads? Of course then when they get caught or the cruise line cracks down on the kind or amounts of beverages they can bring on board they're all up in arms at the injustice of it all. Really?????

As for the types, brands, etc., etc., of beer it certainly would be asking a lot of any cruise line to carry all the potential varieties so I can kind of understand why a beer enthusiast with say a local micro brewery favorite might be put off by HAL's policy. It's difficult to be everything to everybody but quite frankly I think it's all about revenues and profits. On board purchases are the bread and butter for most cruise lines, particularly the non all-inclusive lines. Obviously those cruise lines with restrictions or limitations run the risk that a particular subset of passengers won't cruise with them because of the restrictions but whatever math or calculations they do have convinced them it's worth losing a few to gain from the majority.

Edited by Randyk47

I hadn't thought about switching the contents of the cans which obviously not only would lead to flat beer but also a potentially giant wet mess. :eek: Of course I'm always amused by folks sharing their smuggling strategies in a public forum like CC. Do they really think the cruise lines don't visit and read these kind of threads? Of course then when they get caught or the cruise line cracks down on the kind or amounts of beverages they can bring on board they're all up in arms at the injustice of it all. Really?????

As for the types, brands, etc., etc., of beer it certainly would be asking a lot of any cruise line to carry all the potential varieties so I can kind of understand why a beer enthusiast with say a local micro brewery favorite might be put off by HAL's policy. It's difficult to be everything to everybody but quite frankly I think it's all about revenues and profits. On board purchases are the bread and butter for most cruise lines, particularly the non all-inclusive lines. Obviously those cruise lines with restrictions or limitations run the risk that a particular subset of passengers won't cruise with them because of the restrictions but whatever math or calculations they do have convinced them it's worth losing a few to gain from the majority.

The booze-smuggling threads are very entertaining. We aren't big drinkers, so it wouldn't be worth the trouble for us. But I'm impressed with the things people come up with.

I'm not asking HAL to stock a lot of micros. But if all they're going to offer is budbudlightmillermillerlight etc they could let us bring something different on board. I'm not asking for a case. Just one bottle per person per port. There was a beer tasting on Westerdam last year, and when I asked the bartender what the beers would be they were all lagers, stuff you could buy for cheap anywhere at home, not worth the price they were charging, even if it was our "taste" in beer.

The sad choice of beer on HAL isn't going to make us stop sailing with them. But something more interesting than lite lager would be a nice treat.