NCL Getaway vs. RCCL Independence

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for some help with making a decision. In the spirit of openness, I'm asking this of both the NCL and RCCL boards.

I recently booked my family for a 7night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Independence of the seas. We are a family of 4, my wife and myself and our twin girls who will turn 10 the week we are at sea.

Some friends from school mentioned that they are booked on NCL Getaway the same week, also doing the Eastern Caribbean. I investigated and found some interesting results.

On Independence we have an Outside View room on Deck 2 with no other perks. For the same price (almost to the dollar) on Getaway I can book a Mini-Suite with Balcony and it includes the Unlimited Drink plan for the family (alcohol for the adults, soda for the kids).

Can anyone give me a good reason why I should stay on Independence???

Hi, I've been on both ships in the last year.

Both great ships but as someone who was always 'Loyal to Royal' I was pretty 'wowed' by the Getaway. Loved the boardwalk, firework display at sea and just the general good vibe about the ship which is still brand new.

We were in a spa mini suite and it was just slightly bigger than a D1 balcony on Royal. Balconies are narrow but fine for two chairs. The spa was brilliant, with thalassotherapy pool, saunas, steam, heated beds etc.

Sounds like NCL is better value.

We were on breakaway last year - sister ship to gateway. Staterooms are so small I'm serious the only extra room you get with the mini suite is a larger bathroom. Barely enough storage for 2 much less 4. We were tripping over each other and we were 6 people in 2 rooms.

The gateway I'm sure will be fun but the stress of the room situation is enough to dissuade me from ever doing NCL again.

I'd switch to Getaway in a heartbeat. Been on her twice so far this year and it's an amazing ship and I had a great time. I'll be back on Oasis May 2nd but liked the Getaway more than Oasis. Plus you'll get the UBP you can't beat it. Good luck on whatever cruise you select.

I also was torn between RCCL and NCL but the majority won in voting so we're going on the Oasis. In my research I could find nothing negative about the Getaway and personally wished we would've booked it instead. I think if things stay as they are at RCCL we definitely will try Getaway or Breakaway or whatever else NCL comes out with for our next cruise. So to answer your question as to why to stay on Independence I can't think of any good answer at this point.

For those of you who have been on Getaway/Breakaway and a Freedom class ship, do you think the NCL pool/sun decks are as crowded and claustrophobic as some people make it seem? Thats one of the only real consistent negative comments I hear about Getaway. There's so much more 'stuff' on the top decks of the NCL ships that definitely takes away the open feeling of the Freedom class ships. With NCL we can get an extra day on a newer ship for the same price as we're paying on RCL (Navigator vs Getaway or Escape) but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Thanks everyone for you honest answers!! My wife and I have stayed up way too late reading about each ship. I thought if anyone could help me find the hidden value in the Indy that I was missing, it would be this board. But, as someone above posted, it's a no brainer. I have been accused of over thinking things in the past.

Someday when we cruise without the kids we will try RCCL.

But, as someone above posted, it's a no brainer. I have been accused of over thinking things in the past.

"Over thinking it" while planning a cruise is part of the fun! It is also how you learn about about special staterooms on ships and end up finding great tips that make your cruise even better! :D

Hi everyone,

I'm asking for some help with making a decision. In the spirit of openness, I'm asking this of both the NCL and RCCL boards.

I recently booked my family for a 7night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Independence of the seas. We are a family of 4, my wife and myself and our twin girls who will turn 10 the week we are at sea.

Some friends from school mentioned that they are booked on NCL Getaway the same week, also doing the Eastern Caribbean. I investigated and found some interesting results.

On Independence we have an Outside View room on Deck 2 with no other perks. For the same price (almost to the dollar) on Getaway I can book a Mini-Suite with Balcony and it includes the Unlimited Drink plan for the family (alcohol for the adults, soda for the kids).

Can anyone give me a good reason why I should stay on Independence???

I'd switch even if I lost a 500 quid deposit !!

getaway sounds like a result !!

Just off the Getaway this past Saturday. The best ship we have been on in over 150 cruises for food - breakfast, lunch and dinner, crew friendliness / service / support. Entertainment good, officers visible and engaging, rooms / bath nice but not spectacular.

I would definitely chose Getaway over any RCI ship except Oasis class.

I agree that Getway is the better choice....for the ADULTS.

The children's program on Royal Carribean is much, much better.

No comparison.

May I ask you to elaborate on this? what are the differences?

I showed my kids Youtube videos of the two ships and they were much more excited about water slides and the ropes course than ice skating and flow rider.

Are there other programs that made a difference for you?

We have recently sailed on the Getaway and a Freedom class ship. We enjoyed both, but the Getaway was really amazing for our family. The bowling, ropes course, water slides, trampoline, and everything was very family friendly. We were very happy with the food, the service was good, never seemed too crowded anywhere.

As for the kids club, my dd would never step foot inside a kids club until the Getaway, so there were no complaints from us as far as that goes! :)

Enjoy your cruise!! You will have a blast!

We have sailed Freedom 2x (same class) and Getaway and about 7 other ships including Allure, Oasis and Quantum.

Getaway 100% it is my kids favorite ship ever (they where 10 and 12). So much so we are looking into Escape for our next cruise. The water slides and ropes course is so much fun.

The Minis are wonderful for families. The extra Large bathroom is so helpful and just nice to have.

Now something to keep in mind...most balconies on Getaway are Tiny. If you can get a Large Balcony do it...worth it.

Here is a spreadsheet about all the cabins:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Edited by Jenjer
add info

We have sailed Freedom 2x (same class) and Getaway and about 7 other ships including Allure, Oasis and Quantum.

Getaway 100% it is my kids favorite ship ever (they where 10 and 12). So much so we are looking into Escape for our next cruise. The water slides and ropes course is so much fun.

The Minis are wonderful for families. The extra Large bathroom is so helpful and just nice to have.

Now something to keep in mind...most balconies on Getaway are Tiny. If you can get a Large Balcony do it...worth it.

Here is a spreadsheet about all the cabins:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

Wow! Awesome spreadsheet!! Thanks for posting that!

For those of you who have been on Getaway/Breakaway and a Freedom class ship, do you think the NCL pool/sun decks are as crowded and claustrophobic as some people make it seem? Thats one of the only real consistent negative comments I hear about Getaway. There's so much more 'stuff' on the top decks of the NCL ships that definitely takes away the open feeling of the Freedom class ships. With NCL we can get an extra day on a newer ship for the same price as we're paying on RCL (Navigator vs Getaway or Escape) but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I was on the Breakaway last year and the pool area and service are why I would be hesitant to go back on NCL.

During our cruise, a child got sick in the family pool and the pool was shut down on day 2 of the cruise and never reopened. 4000 people sharing 1 pool for the rest of the 7 day itinerary.

It looks like NCL will stop offering the included beverage and dining packages as of 4/30. That may be enough to make us jump ship (literally!) and book on NCL instead.

Chances are they'll have another sale starting May 1st giving the UBP again. Same sort of tactics RCCL is using with this BOGO crap.:rolleyes: