Norovirus Cabin B435

60ANDREADY2CRUISE

Just off the Ruby Princess. both of us out of 7 day cruise 4 days in cabin...That's it for Princess.I heard from dock worker one is coming in tomorrow CDC wants cleaned top to bottom will see if the news says anything......

Sorry you came down with it, but it is everywhere. :(

What the CDC wants is nothing new.

Celebrity Infinity just had an outbreak. No sailing with Celebrity...

Legend of the Seas just had an outbreak. Not going with them either.

Princess, nope.

The list of acceptable cruise lines is getting shorter and shorter.

What about hotels you stay at, planes you fly on, public transportation you take. Eating out at restaurants, buying groceries? Will you boycott all of them?

What about hotels you stay at, planes you fly on, public transportation you take. Eating out at restaurants, buying groceries? Will you boycott all of them?

Or the high school in our area that had an outbreak a couple of months ago, or the dorm at Stanford last fall. Not to mention the nursing home that was quarantined for 3 days last Thanksgiving...

You can blame just about everyone that has ever boarded a ship. If the cruise lines knew who carried it on or how to stop it in it's tracks they would. I think the cruise lines try to stay on top of it but it has been going on for many years.

Sorry you came down with norovirus. Hope you're feeling better. Just off same cruise. No problems. Didn't hear a word about it while on board.

So the implication is it was a very limited issue????

Norovirus is the second most common illness out there, after the common cold.

Noro just hit 3 different high schools in Washington State, should they stop going to school? It's gonna happen, you need to wipe down the entire cabin when you check in, wash your hands when you venture into public spaces, and use the hand sanitizer. Noro is not new and it's on all ships. Sorry to hear about your trip, hopefully you bought the insurance so you get reimbursed for the days you were confined to cabin.

article about high schools

So the implication is it was a very limited issue????

Norovirus is the second most common illness out there, after the common cold.

No implication. Just relating my experience.

So very sorry to hear you were sick with noro. We were on the Crown a couple of weeks ago and also succumbed to that nasty bug. It is no fun! B254 was our cabin - maybe they need to look at the Baja deck? As others have said, noro isn't unique to cruise ships but it does seem to thrive in confined environments and sharing tiny cabins and bathrooms doesn't give you the ability to avoid it as effectively as you might if a family member is sick at home. However, I wouldn't let it put me off Princess or cruising. I'm sure its hard to think about now after your recent disappointing vacation, but perhaps after a bit of time has passed you might reconsider.

And to those posting such unsympathetic responses to the OP, please remember that being sick on your long awaited vacation, especially with norovirus, is going to leave someone feeling jaded and unhappy. Please try to show a bit more empathy and understanding.

Edited by karatemom2

If OP had it for 4 days, it wouldn't have been Noro which is a 24 hour thing.

You are quarantined for at least 24 hours after your last bout of vomiting, so for most people that would be 2 full days. And assuming one of them got it first and then the other followed, yes it would be 4 days combined. And it is Noro. The Crown reported that they were having an outbreak and even delayed the most recent boarding and departure on the last cruise in order to do a deep cleaning. It has been an off and on problem on the Crown for some time.

Edited by karatemom2

Grandson's boy scout troop got Noro on a trip to Alaska (not on a cruise ship). Their leader had to be hospitalized. My grandson said the hotel refused to even clean the rooms the whole stay the kids were there. So one after the other they were sick and had to clean their own vomit etc. Even though the vomiting may stop, my grandson came home sick and was home for three weeks (lost a lot of weight too). Can't imagine the kids that were still vomiting and got on an airplane.

Its not always fair to blame the cruise line if someone comes aboard sick and doesn't disclose it at embarkation.

A few years ago, we took our granddaughter on a Christmas Cruise on the Emerald, and DH contracted noro, but my granddaughter and I did not, even though we shared the same cabin. We kept washing our hands, and the room stewards came into the cabin to sanitize.

The nurse told us that often, someone comes aboard ill, but doesn't disclose it because they are afraid of denied boarding. She insisted that is not the case, they are just treated medically and confined to the cabin for 24 hours.

The stuff spreads like wildfire, and all it takes is someone pressing an elevator button, touch a staircase, buffet utensil, well. . . . you get the picture.

Grandson's boy scout troop got Noro on a trip to Alaska (not on a cruise ship). Their leader had to be hospitalized. My grandson said the hotel refused to even clean the rooms the whole stay the kids were there. So one after the other they were sick and had to clean their own vomit etc. Even though the vomiting may stop, my grandson came home sick and was home for three weeks (lost a lot of weight too). Can't imagine the kids that were still vomiting and got on an airplane.

A similar thing happened to my niece's high school band (she's the band director) on a trip to Hawaii from the East Coast. Another niece and BIL were sick for 24 hours in Hawaii (if I remember correctly the niece had to have an IV at an urgent care) but felt better in time to make the trip home. Dozens of others (chaperones and students) made the return trip under various stages of duress. At least one chaperone stayed behind with students too sick to travel. It was a quick trip (2 days of travel, 3 days in Hawaii) and it was never determined if the source was on the plane or in the hotel. No one will ever know and of course since it wasn't on a cruise ship it never made the news.

The nurse told us that often, someone comes aboard ill, but doesn't disclose it because they are afraid of denied boarding. She insisted that is not the case, they are just treated medically and confined to the cabin for 24 hours.

Not everyone deceives the cruise line on purpose, sometimes they may not know they have it.

So sorry to hear you came down with noro. My husband and I were on the same cruise and managed to have a great time as did most of the passengers we observed.

Don't blame Princess; it was more than likely from a fellow passenger. Hope you're feeling better!

Sorry you came down with norovirus. Hope you're feeling better. Just off same cruise. No problems. Didn't hear a word about it while on board.

Maybe they both got it on a plane or somewhere on route to ship and brought it on with them if you never heard about it onboard.

Was salt and pepper on tables?

Sent from my iPhone

Just off the Ruby Princess. both of us out of 7 day cruise 4 days in cabin...That's it for Princess.I heard from dock worker one is coming in tomorrow CDC wants cleaned top to bottom will see if the news says anything......

Sorry ya'll got sick. Norovirus usually lasts 1-3 days but in the young, the elderly, and those with chronic medical conditions or who are immunosuppressed, the dehydration can cause more serious consequences and symptoms. Hope all is well now.