New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

Try FINDING a cookie!! I did for 7 days aboard the Star! Still looking!!!
Haven't been on the Star, but on the Pearl and Jewell, if you go to the buffet and then go to the back of the ship at to the buffet there around 3:00pm, they have cookies!!! Their oatmeal raisin cookies are to die for.

You seem to miss the difference between a contrast and compare vs an equality. They aren't supposed to be "equal". :rolleyes:

You think people who purchased their cruise before the room service charge shouldn't have to pay it? How about the people who booked their cruise before NCL made the Asian restaurants free? Should they have have to pay since there was a charge when they booked, or will this example also be lost because they aren't "equal"?

I don't think its an "equality" issue. Companies which are concerned with customer satisfaction (NCL doesn't really strike me as one) routinely give customers the better end of such deals. Maybe I've lucked out, but I've never returned an item and been given less than I paid, even if the price dropped; I have, however returned things bought on sale and gotten the new, higher price. Could NCL pull what you suggest? Sure, but it would be a pretty dumb business move.

The NCL customers are in charge. If they don't like the changes they can take their business to another cruise line and NCL will get the message.

I am not bothered by the changes. However, if I was unhappy I would stop doing business with NCL.

I am starting to have misgivings about giving NCL another try. This just seems petty, in an attempt to get people to pay for room service people can no longer bring back some things to enjoy in your room or on the balcony.

The NCL customers are in charge. If they don't like the changes they can take their business to another cruise line and NCL will get the message.

I am not bothered by the changes. However, if I was unhappy I would stop doing business with NCL.

As seasoned cruisers we know the effect these changes will have on our enjoyment

However....the newbie cruiser....which is what ncl is courting now.....won't have a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Instead of bringing a snack back for our toddler during his afternoon nap, I'll just have to bring him to a dining venue while he is going bonkers and beserk. Would have been nice to have a quiet family snack on the balcony. OH WELL!

The poor crew are going to have DSC taken off left and right when they piss people off trying to enforce this cockamamie rule. On every cruise I've been on we ALWAYS take our buffet food out to the pool deck.

Edited by LMaxwell

Honestly I don't like this new policy but this makes sense actually, especially with the narrower halls on the new ships. We always leave our plates, glasses and silverware in the room and the steward always removes them. Maybe they should stress not to ditch your sh** in the hall.

Spot on..

And what about those who are past final payment date?

You know, I never understood why cruise lines allow passengers to bring on soda and water, since onboard drinks is a large part of their revenue. When I first started cruising, I never remember anyone bringing their own soda or water with them, but maybe I just never noticed. I guess it is a good thing I don't run the company.

Well, isn't NCL the cruise line that makes everyone in their stateroom purchase the soda package if one person wants it? I don't drink soda but the person I share a room with might. It's cheaper to bring some along because I won't be buying a drink package. Either way someone has to pay.

I think the new powers at be is destroying ncl #bringbackkevin

It's like we are in kindergarten instead of a paid vacation. Too many rules gets less customers. We get enough of this a work. Don't do this you can't do that. What I'm gonna do is go where I feel more free.

Where do I eat my lobster tails from Carlos Bakery? Do I have to eat my cupcake there as well? Or are baked goods for which one pays extra exempt from health concerns?

And anyone trying to come between my DD and her plate o'cookies from the buffet each afternoon will experience

100 pounds of fury!

I don t see this ending well.....

I can imagine a lot of potential law suits when people with health issues (ie a parent of an autistic child with sensory processing disorder; a diabetic or hypoglycaemic individual who needs to eat immediately in order to not pass out) have stress or issues from this absurd policy.

I have a special needs child who sometimes needs to be away from the crowds or she can have extreme meltdowns.... Does NCL want to make a spectacle of people?

I realize that NCL doesn't care or value its passengers and, as such, will be cancelling our upcoming sailing.

I really thought this was a joke when I first read about it. On my first cruise (my honeymoon), I got a mystery flu for 2 days and was stuck in bed with a fever. Obviously I didn't want to be out in the open, in case I was contagious. My food involved my husband bringing me breads and soups from the buffet. We also like to stockpile some milk for coffee, etc.

I have YET to really complain about any of the changes NCL has made. I have turned my family and friends onto this line, and now, I feel foolish for having done so when they are implementing rules like this! How about small children, being able to enjoy dessert on your balcony? A quick bite when spouse is sleeping? Cookies for a late night snack? This policy is 1,000% absurd.

I have paid mostly half of my next cruise in January on the Breakaway, but the first thing I am doing tomorrow is looking for other cruises around the same date, on other lines, that I can book instead.

Enough is enough. It's just too many negative changes - too much, too quickly. I'm so disappointed.

I am currently on the Jewel and have brought meals from the buffet to the room. I also wanted a salad from Moderno for dinner one night and went and fixed one and brought it to my room. Not a problem with either restaurant.

What about the pool deck barbecues? The tables on the lido aren't they for eating?

I was wondering the same thing. One of my favorite things on a sea day is grabbing a plate of BBQ or whatever is being offered that day on the pool deck, and taking it back to my poolside seat :)

After being too sick on one of the last mornings of the cruise to hoof it onto a dining venue, I asked mom to pick up some dry toast and juice from O'Sheans to bring back to me in the cabin. I'd have been in quite a bad way if she couldn't have done that...or I'd have had to shell out a few pennies shy of $8 bucks for what would cost far less in an on land venue.

Agree if this is to keep the hallways clear, then either institute a rule that plates etc...to be left in cabin for removal, or discontinue room service as well as the take out service. That would never happen...so unless they go option one keep dirty stuff in cabin or call RS for a pickup of dirty stuff they will find the halls littered with dirty dishes. Now I saw some last cruise where it looked like the people literally threw the dishes out of their cabin, and that is just rude behavior compared to stacking them neatly outside their door.

I don't like the idea of not being able to take my sweet ending from the fine dining venues to my cabin to eat a couple hours later, but if the deal I get on the sailing outweighs the pain of the new, maybe not so well thought out, rules I will still sail NCL. Ideally I will sail in a Haven suite so the Butler can figure out how to get me the sweet endings I want when I want them.

Well, isn't NCL the cruise line that makes everyone in their stateroom purchase the soda package if one person wants it? I don't drink soda but the person I share a room with might. It's cheaper to bring some along because I won't be buying a drink package. Either way someone has to pay.
Some posters have reported that if one person wants the soda package, they can purchase it onboard, without the other person buying one, but I don't know, because I've never purchased one. You might want to check that out.

I understand it is cheaper for folks to bring soda on, but like I said, I never understood why cruise lines (not just NCL) allows it, since onboard drinks is such a revenue stream for them. You are correct, either way someone has to pay, but if you bring your own, you pay a whole lot less.

Honestly I don't like this new policy but this makes sense actually, especially with the narrower halls on the new ships. We always leave our plates, glasses and silverware in the room and the steward always removes them. Maybe they should stress not to ditch your sh** in the hall.

While I totally agree with keeping dirty plates out of the hall and leaving them in your room for pick up (which we always do), this new policy can't have anything to actually do with plates piling up in the hallway. If it did, they would also eliminate Room Service instead of enhancing and expanding it (as well as adding the convenience fee and gratuity to it). They are pushing Room Service hard, which means they WANT you to eat in your room. If they WANT you to eat in your room, the plates in the hallway have absolutely NOTHING to do with this new policy. Unless, of course, room service plates are invisible and take away plates come with neon signs that blink repeatedly "I'm not room service, I'm take out"...because I for one can not tell the difference between someone's room service plate piled in the hall or someone's take out plate from the buffet.

It is my understanding that people that take plates, utensils and glass ware tend to put them in the hall after eating, this has been creating issues for people in wheel chairs and people needing to use the handrail. These items are not picked up till the morning cleaning, on many occasions I have returned to my room in the wee hours and have seen 1/4 to 1/3 of the rooms with dishes and accoutrements piled up outside the room. So if you take food for later, leave the dishes in the room.

Um, in my experience most of those items are from room service. You can tell if there are any silver covers with the items. Certainly, if room service does increase due to the new policy you'll just be seeing more room service dishes in the hallway.

Here is what NCL posted:

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

I'm not so sure the restaurants will be real thrilled about my bringing my poolside hamburgers, hot dogs, and jambalaya or my Atrium cakes, cookies, cupcakes and pastries into the restaurants just so I can follow the rules.

BTW, does this mean I'm an outcast if I order a lovely Cake Boss cake for a birthday and it's delivered to my room? Or am I expected to bring that to a restaurant, too?

There's no way this works, NCL. You have too many events/products/opportunities that require/allow eating in your room or outside of the restaurants for this to work. All it's going to do is make people angry.

Big mistake.