New Dining Policy -- Official as of 4:20 EST

coldflame

I'm sorry but I do not see the words "ban" or "not allowed to" or "can't" anywhere in that statement. I see "ASK". While it may come to the point of being a ban, that statement does nto say that at all.

I see the part you are referring to is:

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants."

So, this is like the lady in the smoking section playing on a slot machine and another women sits down next to her and asks her if she'd mind not smoking while she plays? The women smoking, since she was asked, can say, sorry, thank you for asking but I prefer to smoke since I'm in the smoking section.

Harriet

I'm sorry but I do not see the words "ban" or "not allowed to" or "can't" anywhere in that statement. I see "ASK". While it may come to the point of being a ban, that statement does nto say that at all.

Yet, above where it asks, it says, :

"(4:20 p.m. EDT) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

So how do you take it? They are banning it but asking you to obey?

Harriet

I see the part you are referring to is:

"For our guests' well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants."

So, this is like the lady in the smoking section playing on a slot machine and another women sits down next to her and asks her if she'd mind not smoking while she plays? The women smoking, since she was asked, can say, sorry, thank you for asking but I prefer to smoke since I'm in the smoking section.

Harriet

I don't feel like looking for it right now but did cc change the wording. Because I read "Norwegian has Banned"

Edit: oops just saw you posted it Harriet. Thanks

Edited by FootballParent

Here is what NCL posted:

For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

Cruise Critic posted this: Norwegian Cruise Line has banned "takeaway" food from its ship restaurants, main dining room and buffet areas.

If safety in the hallways is a concern, maybe they should just institute a new "rule" of leaving the dishes in the room instead of the hallway..

I think that's a great idea instead of leaving empty plates in the hallway.

However, even those with room service have left their plates in the hallway and will continue to do so. How can one tell which plates left in the hallway are from 'take out' or from room service?

Also, if one wanted to......they could get their room service food and take that plate anywhere on the ship. I wouldn't...but one could. They can't demand that room service food ONLY be eaten in the cabin.

Harriet

We returned Monday from 3 day on the Sky. We where in an aft suite, 4 people. We had udp. My daughter got sick but asked me to bring her back a bowl of French onion soup from libistro. I asked server for the soup to go and I was not allowed to take it with me. However since we where in a suite they did call the butler with out my knowledge and gave him the soup for my daughter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Butlers will be very busy. We have a suite booked for 2016 but usually bring our snacks back from the buffet. We will now be forced to call the butler every single time we want something. NCL seems to be on a sinking ship if they continue the way they have the last few months. We cruised other lines but have recommended NCL and cruised them the most. We will have to see if things change for the better before 2016 or this cruise on NCL will be our last.

Do you seriously not know why, or are you just trying to stir the pot?

If I'm driving down the road and I see that your house is on fire, (which btw, does NOT affect me) would there be a reason WHY I should say something. Or, since it doesn't affect me, should I simply say nothing?

A world full of self-absorbed, self-centered people will affect us all. :(

Somehow, a house on fire and a room service charge just don't seem to be equal in my eyes. While both don't affect me (I don't use room service) one has a serious safety issue attached to it while the other does not.

If NCL start a room service charge I will (and have) mention that I don't use room service, but that those that purchased their cruise before the charge went into affect should not have to pay it. However, if the menu for the charge items is different than the free menu, and the free menu is still available, then I have no comment because I don't use room service and adding a new menu with hot items and charging for same is fine. Maybe I'll even say it is a good idea, except how would I know (even if I liked the new hot items I would not use room service)?

If I had to comment on everything that did affect me just so I could comments on those that do, I would quit using CC. Simply put, people are free to comment on what they want, which means that they are also free to not comment on what they don't want to comment on.

I have not seen anything in CC's guidelines that requires a member to comment on everything if (s)he ever wants to comment on something. If I've missed that rule, please point it out to me.

Edited by Cuizer2

Of course it was directed at me, you quoted me. Just to be clear I say plenty when it affects me. Why would I say anything if it didn't? Since I don't know you at all I'll assume this was a passive aggressive comment directed at others to get your point across. Happy to provide you with a smile. :)

As far as the topic goes like others have posted, I really hope it was misconstrued and the buffet is not included in the changes. Seems it would be difficult to enforce and I really hope they don't try. Hope we get clarity on the subject soon.

I quoted you because at the time what you said reminded me of many people in the past who didn't care so long as it didn't affect them. I don't know why you took it personally. You are right about one thing, however. You don't know me. If you did, you would know that I wouldn't have said not to take it personally......as I would have actually directed the entire post to you. :)

I am sorry you took it personally.....there was no need.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

There's a huge difference between the "banning" and "asking".

The policy will be toothless, like saving loungers, consuming too much alcohol (NCL asks passengers to refrain from a lot of excesses).

Extremely disappointed in cc for fanning the flames

Somehow, a house on fire and a room service charge just don't seem to be equal in my eyes. While both don't affect me (I don't use room service) one has a serious safety issue attached to it while the other does not.

If NCL start a room service charge I will (and have) mention that I don't use room service, but that those that purchased their cruise before the charge went into affect should not have to pay it. However, if the menu for the charge items is different than the free menu, and the free menu is still available, then I have no comment because I don't use room service and adding a new menu with hot items and charging for same is fine.

You seem to miss the difference between a contrast and compare vs an equality. They aren't supposed to be "equal". :rolleyes:

You think people who purchased their cruise before the room service charge shouldn't have to pay it? How about the people who booked their cruise before NCL made the Asian restaurants free? Should they have have to pay since there was a charge when they booked, or will this example also be lost because they aren't "equal"?

I called my CC and she said this is not a new policy.

As someone else said-- not reserving pool chairs IS a policy and we know how strictly that is enforced......

And CCs are never wrong?

So we typically cruise Carnival and Royal. Our first NCL on the Jewel was ok, but not nearly one of our better cruises. We have decided to try NCL again and have our second NCL cruise booked on the Getaway this winter. We booked a balcony for the first time. We never get room service, because without a balcony, why would you want to eat in your cabin? So with this cruise, I thought, "Yay! We will use room service and enjoy a snack on the balcony". Then NCL announced a fee for room service, and I thought, "Oh well, the walk to the buffet to get food to bring back to cabin will do me good". And today, NCL announces no food can leave buffet area. What??? This reminds me of the Soup **** episode on Seinfeld, only cruise **** style. Too many rules and you have to do it their way. Where is the Freestyle in this?

I will be bringing tupperware with me on my next and final cruise on NCL. Bring a beach bag and some plastic containers. They will never know. I will take napkins and things and bring them back to my room. I like bringing my kids breakfast in bed.

Either a small mistake from CC or a BFO mistake from NCL.

Scanners at the buffet entrance to catch food smugglers; no longer 'washy-washy happy-happy' but 'strippy-searchy strippy-searchy':rolleyes:

My DH might enjoy saying strippy searchy :D

You seem to miss the difference between a contrast and compare vs an equality. They aren't supposed to be "equal". :rolleyes:

You think people who purchased their cruise before the room service charge shouldn't have to pay it? How about the people who booked their cruise before NCL made the Asian restaurants free? Should they have have to pay since there was a charge when they booked, or will this example also be lost because they aren't "equal"?

I booked a flight on Jet Blue before they started charging for luggage. Jet Blue started charging for luggage before my flight. At the ticket counter I was asked to pay a fee. I told the person that I purchased my ticket before that charge was announced. She checked, confirmed that I was right and waived the fee.

If you purchase something, then the price goes up before you take possession of that product, how would you feel if you were told that the price went up and you were asked to pay more?

I will be bringing tupperware with me on my next and final cruise on NCL. Bring a beach bag and some plastic containers. They will never know. I will take napkins and things and bring them back to my room. I like bringing my kids breakfast in bed.

Why do you need all that Tupperware if you are going to bring the breakfast in a bed?

Ok I read all of the posts and I sometimes order room service. It does not matter if you order through room service or bring dishes down from the buffet or a restaurant there will be those who will place the plates etc. outside of their cabin door. [sidebar: I leave mine in the cabin] Now if NCL really wants me to be happy provide more loungers at the pool and do not allow those who leave towels forever. Hmm how about a lounger timer! LOL :D

So we typically cruise Carnival and Royal. Our first NCL on the Jewel was ok, but not nearly one of our better cruises. We have decided to try NCL again and have our second NCL cruise booked on the Getaway this winter. We booked a balcony for the first time. We never get room service, because without a balcony, why would you want to eat in your cabin? So with this cruise, I thought, "Yay! We will use room service and enjoy a snack on the balcony". Then NCL announced a fee for room service, and I thought, "Oh well, the walk to the buffet to get food to bring back to cabin will do me good". And today, NCL announces no food can leave buffet area. What??? This reminds me of the Soup **** episode on Seinfeld, only cruise **** style. Too many rules and you have to do it their way. Where is the Freestyle in this?
NCL did not announce that no food can be taken out of the buffet, they said restaurants. Some of us have emailed NCL to have them clarify if the buffet is included.

This is NCL said: For our guests’ well-being and to maintain a beautiful clean environment for all of our guests to enjoy, we ask that they enjoy their meals while dining at one of our many restaurants. Every ship in the Norwegian fleet offers dining at any time day or night for guests to enjoy, with a wide variety of options and cuisines available complimentary.

Many guest having just returned from cruises has said that they didn't have an issue taking food out of the buffet.

If I want to take a few cookies back to my room for the good ol' midnight snack, I'll be darned if they're going to tell me no, but they can bring them to me, all for the low low price of $7.95.

We were *thinking* of NCL. That thought has completely left my head now.

Try FINDING a cookie!! I did for 7 days aboard the Star! Still looking!!!

I quoted you because at the time what you said reminded me of many people in the past who didn't care so long as it didn't affect them. I don't know why you took it personally. You are right about one thing, however. You don't know me. If you did, you would know that I wouldn't have said not to take it personally......as I would have actually directed the entire post to you. :)

I am sorry you took it personally.....there was no need.

Harriet

I get it. I'm just not 'that' person so it struck a chord. I took it personally because you quoted me. I'm over it and apologize for taking offense.