Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

LauraS

I was on a cruise to the Caribbean just two weeks ago and no one stopped anyone from taking food where they wanted to take it. So NO not EVERYONE is reporting as you say. You post has just been proven false.

Two weeks ago there was not a Room Service 'convenience' charge. Co-incidental timing? I think not.

I absolutely agree with something someone said on another thread. When they banned smoking the "foodies" hip hip horrayed. I and other smokers pointed out that gamblers and smokers spent way more money on cruises then non-smokers. I was pooh poohed, and the no smokers said good riddance to the smokers. Well, fast forward 6 months and here the foodies are getting hit in the wallet to make up the loss of revenue from the loss of smokers and gamblers.

I truly hope they institute a $250.00 cleaning fee for dishes found in non suite rooms.

Classic case of be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

Personally I cannot wait to see a no longer 1/2 price child have a meltdown in the specialty restaurants and have the parents NOT remove the child from the venue as they paid anywhere from $30-$80 for and watch all the other patrons demand refunds for their dinner being spoiled. It will be like dinner & a show.

Yeah, that makes a lot of dollars and sense.

Edited by iimmie

I, for one, will be watching how this develops over the next couple of months. While the RS charge is painful to many, I, personally, in 20ish cruises, can count on one hand the number of times I've ordered anything other than continental b'fast, so it isn't unacceptable for me.

I've maybe taken my dessert "to go" once or twice from a regular dining venue, so, again, I can live without it (and probably should). I can deal with that restriction, though I don't have to like it.

HOWEVER, if we can't get "takeaway" from the buffet to enjoy on our veranda or in our stateroom, THAT I would find unacceptable and THAT would be grounds for cancelling our 2016 Alaska cruise with NCL and booking with someone else.

It is the idea of what NCL is doing ... It has probably been 20 cruises since I last used room service however I often get my lunch in the buffet and carry it to a table by the pool!

Charging for room service and not allowing food out of the dining area ... 2 more great reasons why I will never cruise on NCL again!

If we book balcony then we sometimes take lunch plates and eat there to avoid crowds. I guess there will be no reasons to book balcony anymore.. or maybe even sail with NCL.

RS isn't big concern for us as we never order it anyway.

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Food Outside of Dining Areas

Thanks Laura,

I do wish we had a clarification on things like taking food from the buffet to the tables around the pools. I am one that sees very little reason, other than someone being ill to take plates of food from anywhere to your cabin, but I can't believe people will not be allowed to enjoy lunch around the pool.

The recent announcement that food can no longer be taken from the buffet to a stateroom is a game changer for my wife and me. One of the most pleasant traditions we enjoy almost every day on a cruise will now be verbotten! I love to hit the deck early on a cruise while my wife likes to veg out in the cabin. I have my coffee and just enjoy the sea air while she sleeps. Eventually I will return to the cabin with a pastry, piece of fruit and a yogurt for her. She loves when I do this and we look forward to this time of the day. Sad to say, but we will not be returning to NCL or any other cruise line with this rule in effect.

Thanks Laura,

I do wish we had a clarification on things like taking food from the buffet to the tables around the pools. I am one that sees very little reason, other than someone being ill to take plates of food from anywhere to your cabin, but I can't believe people will not be allowed to enjoy lunch around the pool.

I always thought that was what those tables are for, they are an extension of the buffet.

I understand not being able to take food away from the MDR or specialty restaurants. But from the buffet? Seriously? That's part of a cruise - take breakfast goodies back to the sleepy heads in your cabin, take cookies back to your room for dessert, etc. Not to mention if God forbid someone is seasick and can't leave the cabin and needs food brought to them. And now I would have to pay eight bucks to do that? That's crazy. This new NCL leader is off his rocker. I may be canceling my 2016 Baltics cruise at this rate.

This is ridiculous! Not everyone eats before 10 for the night and it's nice to sit out on your balcony and eat. They will need to upgrade their food service in off hours! People are on vacation not in jail!!

This is ridiculous! Not everyone eats before 10 for the night and it's nice to sit out on your balcony and eat. They will need to upgrade their food service in off hours! People are on vacation not in jail!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see you just joined today and this is your first post. :)

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

You are 100% correct!

Feels like when I was a kid and my mom would forbid me to leave the table until all my food was finished.

Let's do this : when you're too full to eat what you paid for, just sit at the table until you are able to eat all your food. Bring a book, relax, and just refuse to leave without your dessert.

I think the waiters will INSIST you take your food to your room to free the table for the next customers :)

Of course there is a difference between "everyone reporting taking" and "everyone is reporting taking". Sometimes that "is" is important;).

Reread what I said and recognize the fact that I am posting a different experience Monica.

I truly hope they institute a $250.00 cleaning fee for dishes found in non suite rooms.

Classic case of be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.

Except for the fact that people across the hall from you will slide the tray in front of your door. No one will stupid enough to leave them for the cabin steward to report. :rolleyes:

It is the idea of what NCL is doing ... It has probably been 20 cruises since I last used room service however I often get my lunch in the buffet and carry it to a table by the pool!

Charging for room service and not allowing food out of the dining area ... 2 more great reasons why I will never cruise on NCL again!

The tables around the pools are considered to be dining areas according to NCL, they are not planning on stopping you from eating there. They are trying to keep food out of the cabins and non dining areas.

The tables around the pools are considered to be dining areas according to NCL, they are not planning on stopping you from eating there. They are trying to keep food out of the cabins and non dining areas.

Anywhere on the pool deck(s) is fine, according to ncl.

DING, DING, DING...we have a WINNER! You hit the nail right on the head! They are trying to keep food out of the cabins. Why? Because they want us hungry in our cabins so that we will order ROOM SERVICE. This new policy has EVERYTHING to do with trying to garner revenue from the new 'convenience fee' and NOTHING to do with beautifying the ship or bettering the well-being of the guests. Thus, why we may not bring our leftovers out of any restaurant and why we can only eat where RS does not reach.

Edited by Kenlorz