Am I the only one? Is food a deal breaker?

DMH15

I can't believe that this isn't a mistake in interpretation. Has NCL formally come out and defined this new rule yet?

Yes. You can take a "snack" but not a "full meal".

No, I don't know the difference between the two.

Yes. You can take a "snack" but not a "full meal".

No, I don't know the difference between the two.

<flippant post on>

Snacks come on:

• a 7" plate or
  • a lump of bread or
  • a stick
  • are eaten with your fingers

A meal comes on:

• a 10" plate
  • has several components (Meat, potato and veg. for example)
  • is eaten with a knife and fork

So you will be frisked for utensils; have your plate measured and frisked for food on a stick when you leave the eatery in question.

<flippant post off>:rolleyes:

Reason for this policy as I thought money.

Mixed result for NCL

TradeWinds (subscription)-May 7, 2015

NCL posted a loss of $21.4m compared to a $51.7m profit in the same stretch of 2014 due to integration-related costs.

Any one and I mean anyone who thinks this is anything other then money no longer has nothing on their side to defend this with....facts are there...they lost money this first quarter.....

That is misleading because many people don't understand what integration-related costs are, or even if they are expected. If you didn't intend to inflame, incite, or mislead readers, then you should explain why that single metric you posted is irrelevant on it's own and does not reflect the health or future of any entity as given. While I tend to agree that they changed the policy to gain more revenue (vs keeping a cleaner ship), what does that really have to do with what you wrote (aaaand, did they really lose money this quarter...did you even look at cash flow, non-cash depreciation, or anything else that is relevant)?

I think they are listed as a 'buy' on most investing sites and look to be quite healthy and profitable. But, I don't really know about these things.

So how many 7" plates can I carry? We shall find out.

Folks - I have the solution!

JUGGLING!

Newbies can walk out juggling 3 pieces of fruit.

Experienced cruisers should be able to manage more (or add in a couple of bread rolls)

Platinum Latitudes should be adept at plate spinning so the sky is the limit.

The 'searchy searchy strippy strippy' staff will be so distracted that you will get away with (almost) anything.

Who will put up the prize for the first whole carvery joint smuggled out of the buffet?:D:rolleyes:

Seriously, you can still walk out onto a balcony and enjoy the view, breeze, sound of the ocean, etc. without food in your hand. It really is possible. I do it all the time.

Enjoy your balcony your way and let me enjoy mine my way.

That is misleading because many people don't understand what integration-related costs are, or even if they are expected. If you didn't intend to inflame, incite, or mislead readers, then you should explain why that single metric you posted is irrelevant on it's own and does not reflect the health or future of any entity as given. While I tend to agree that they changed the policy to gain more revenue (vs keeping a cleaner ship), what does that really have to do with what you wrote (aaaand, did they really lose money this quarter...did you even look at cash flow, non-cash depreciation, or anything else that is relevant)?

I think they are listed as a 'buy' on most investing sites and look to be quite healthy and profitable. But, I don't really know about these things.

It is related to money, but not because the company is doing poorly. Del Rio asked in the interview that he gave shortly after taking over "can I get $4 or $5 more from you and your wife per day" and the recent changes are designed to do just that.

It is related to money, but not because the company is doing poorly. Del Rio asked in the interview that he gave shortly after taking over "can I get $4 or $5 more from you and your wife per day" and the recent changes are designed to do just that.

I know, but I think his post was designed to imply that the company is doing poorly and desperate for additional $$. I felt it was very misleading. I don't know if he just doesn't understand company financial statements or if he was intentionally trying to make it look like they are bleeding for an extra $4-5. That's why I asked him to explain.

Of course it's about the money. It's all about the money. If it was about cleanliness, they would ban room service. I see no difference on the sanitary side of eating a cookie or a piece of cheese that I brought to my cabin, to one room service delivers.

In the scheme of things in life, is it the worst thing ever, of course not? It may not a be a big deal to some people. Others, really enjoy bringing a few food items back to their cabin. Who cares? What it is, however, is a bunch of petty crap contrived by some corporate suit. I put up with enough of that in regular society and I don't want to deal with it on vacation, especially one whose motto is "Freestyle".

I fully understand if NCL want to make a policy of not taking plates and plates of food out of a restaurant or a buffet. Would it really affect anyone if someone took a small sandwich for lunch on their balcony or a few cookies at night. No, it would not. Why not have some "special" size plates and ask that those are used to take a few things to their cabin?

After 44 cruises on may different lines, including NCL, this childish rule is a deal breaker for me on this line, based on principal. I don't need someone policing me or watching me every time I leave the buffet or walk down the hall. Completely absurd.

Seriously, you can still walk out onto a balcony and enjoy the view, breeze, sound of the ocean, etc. without food in your hand. It really is possible. I do it all the time.

Six months ago it was smoking. Now it is food. What good is a balcony without those?

What was I thinking?

I know, but I think his post was designed to imply that the company is doing poorly and desperate for additional $$. I felt it was very misleading. I don't know if he just doesn't understand company financial statements or if he was intentionally trying to make it look like they are bleeding for an extra $4-5. That's why I asked him to explain.

I understand and there was nothing misleading about what I posted. They lost money last quarter there is nothing misleading about that, as it is the bottom line.

Why they reported a loss was as a result of the purchase of another cruise-line. The finnancial currently looks solid but it will not unless they start generating more revenue against cost. With Fuel and money costs at a historical low, this helped them not to post an even bigger deficit this past 4 months.

They were giving huge incentives to entice people to cruise with them and then they start will the new fees with room service and then this current beauty. It is all about money. The sales they offered came at a cost. With all the free booze they gave away, the bottom line will be an interesting thing to see in the next year.

Again the bottom line is money and they need to generate more to tip the scales in to a profit and not a loss.

Leaving aside all of the Stock Market suit-babble.

NCL have just sold loads of cabins on the back of free drinks and dining packages etc.

My understanding is that these are the main revenue/profit earners for a mainstream cruiseline.

Their sales figures might look quite good at the moment due to this BUT this is unrealised money at present.

Also their revenue figures down the line must be going to take a major hit due to all the free booze etc. that they will be giving away.

The only way they can fix this is to move the goalposts after people have committed.

Oh hang on - I get it now...:rolleyes:

I had the same point; if NCL is concerned with getting an extra $5 from me per day, offering me $60 of free drinks per day is a weird thing to do. Why not just raise fares by $5 per day? Most people won't notice or care, it's guaranteed, and you save the headache of all these PR stumbles.

Makes me very unhappy! There was nothing nicer than having dessert on our balcony.. I am SURE this is so you have to pay the room service fee.. I will NEVER use that.. not in a million years! I am on Breakaway in Oct.. I think that will be the end of NCL for me.

Edited by Kosi

Exactly. Done and done. I just called and cancelled my upcoming sailing and re-booked on RCCL. It was a better price with much less nickle-and-diming. I love LOVE NCL but I'm not afraid to take my money elsewhere if I feel like unfair policies are being put in place.

It's not a matter of being a "complainer." It's a matter of comfort level of what I feel I can deal with versus not. It's also a "vote" in a certain direction.

Absolutely! I canceled my Oct. cruise with NCL and plan to rebook with another line. The only way they hear us is through their bottom line.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this: they normally don't engage people in the forums or social media. Much less when there are threats of cancelling, which, as I have explained, are well known in the industry for being largely empty. Same with email or phone calls. Everyone in the Internet pretends to think the ruckus and pitchforks will somehow change a thing. It simply doesn't. If you truly want to have an impact the very least you can do is get on the phone (as emails can be and are usually ignored). They can't ignore you on the phone and if you truly feel as outraged as you claim to be in this case, you get on the phone. But alas, it's easier to sit down and endlessly complain in an anonymous forum than it is to actually call and talk and cancel your trip and mention your reason for cancellation.

There's no reason you can't do both. I did.

Enjoy your balcony your way and let me enjoy mine my way.

I was specifically replying to a poster that can't fathom why someone would book a balcony if they can't eat there. Get it? I was saying the same thing you just said.

Six months ago it was smoking. Now it is food. What good is a balcony without those?

What was I thinking?

I've had a balcony on almost all my cruises, and I had never even thought of eating there. LOL! I didn't even realize people did that until I joined CC.

Do you know how hard it is to carry 4 plates of food from the buffet? Now we are going to have to use those food runners someone is going to invent!:D

Food Runners - got it, not to worry ;)

Here, two solutions on eBay, imported from Thailand & China, pay for itself easily - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNCH-BOX-3-TIER-HAPPY-FOOD-CARRIER-STAINLESS-STEEL-CAMPING-TEMPLE-SCHOOL-OFFICE-/111659373906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff6ad552

Or, try this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOD-CARRIER-STAINLESS-STEEL-INSULATION-LUNCH-BOX-2-LAYER-CAMPING-SCHOOL-OFFICE/121527895989?

Surely, one can find ways to slip past the food patrol stationed at the exits :D

Edited by mking8288

Food Runners - got it, not to worry ;)

Here, two solutions on eBay, imported from Thailand & China, pay for itself easily - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUNCH-BOX-3-TIER-HAPPY-FOOD-CARRIER-STAINLESS-STEEL-CAMPING-TEMPLE-SCHOOL-OFFICE-/111659373906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff6ad552

Or, try this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOD-CARRIER-STAINLESS-STEEL-INSULATION-LUNCH-BOX-2-LAYER-CAMPING-SCHOOL-OFFICE/121527895989?

Surely, one can find ways to slip past the food patrol stationed at the exits :D

Ha, ha! I love that you researched it already! Way to get ahead of the curve.;)

I was specifically replying to a poster that can't fathom why someone would book a balcony if they can't eat there. Get it? I was saying the same thing you just said.

We always book at least a balcony, and don't eat out there. A glass of wine, sure ... a cup of coffee, yep ... but not food. Oh wait - once we did. We were with a group, and having happy hour between 3 cabins. Someone ordered one of those awful pizzas, and we ate it. :D