First HAL and first Alaska

rslinky

We leave in three days for our cruise tour. We are arriving ahead of actual land tour and staying four days post cruise. We have three nights in Denali and cruise Seward to Vancouver on Oosterdam. I am overly excited and I am sure we have over packed. Other than to put half my clothing options back in the closet, any advise or words of wisdom for us before we go?

Have a wonderful time :) I have just a couple of thoughts about "advice".

If the weather is not-great sometimes, try to enjoy what it is. One of my favorite memories is standing on deck very early in the morning, surrounded by fog.

When you are walking the Lower Prom deck, keep one eye on the water, you may see whale spouts (or backs and tails, if you have very good luck).

Enjoy your trip, Alaska is a magical place.

One tip I'll share from my first Zuiderdaam trip... Look for the Behind the Scenes tour of the ship at guest services. There's only a dozen spots for each sailing and it's always a sell out.

http://experience.usatoday.com/cruise/story/cruise-buzz/2013/10/15/how-a-cruise-ship-works/2986403/

Hope you have extra days planned in Vancouver. Don't be such a rush to leave the country.

We leave in three days for our cruise tour. We are arriving ahead of actual land tour and staying four days post cruise. We have three nights in Denali and cruise Seward to Vancouver on Oosterdam. I am overly excited and I am sure we have over packed. Other than to put half my clothing options back in the closet, any advise or words of wisdom for us before we go?

IMO the posts above say it all, and I heartily add my ditto to them ... relax, don 't sweat the small stuff and have a great cruise ...

Smooth sailing,

Rod

The unlimited laundry package is worth the cost, especially with the cruisetour. You can start turning in clothes as soon as you unpack. I'm sure you have heard "pack layers". True, and don't forget gloves, hats, and a waterproof outer layer. And wool socks.

Enjoy!

My first cruise was to Alaska on the Oosterdam. One of the most special experiences of my life.

The one thing that surprised me was how cheap things were in Alaska, compared to what I thought they would be. I was able to buy a cheap warm hat and gloves and a rain slicker, things I don't need at home. Not only did they make the cruise more comfortable, they serve as souvenirs.

Our first cruise was to Alaska on the Volendam and it got us hooked on cruising.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Don't forget binoculars!

And pack a bathing suit, it's wonderful sitting in the hot tub watching that beautiful scenery.

Please tell us all about it when you get back.

ditto on the unlimited laundry. dont forget to enjoy a cup of green pea soup on deck when passing glacier it is fantastic! Have a fantastic cruise as Alaska is breathtaking.

How much is the "unlimited laundry"?

Our first cruise was to Alaska on the Volendam and it got us hooked on cruising.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Don't forget binoculars!

And pack a bathing suit, it's wonderful sitting in the hot tub watching that beautiful scenery.

Please tell us all about it when you get back.

My first HAL cruise and first trip to Alaska will be on the Volendam. What can you tell me that I need to know?

Some whale watching companies claim they provide binoculars, but I would rather zoom my camera to take pictures.