Booking KLM watch out

Ex-Airbalancer

Book a seat on KLM with Choice Air, I then upgraded on KLM website to an exit row seat with more leg room for $82 , it was a 7 hour flight

The seat was not the same as their website showed, it was narrow , 15.5 inches wide ! And there was a large remote control in the way

I was step on about 15 times during the flight by people waiting in the area

This is our 15th TA flight and have book this area before and they have never been this narrow before,

I heard that KLM was a good airline but I would rate them the lowest on my list , much lower then the charters I have been on

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431374061.235222.jpg.89b25f34fa7eea3d64f128d72863e0fb.jpg

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I'm aware exit rows seats are generally narrower on longhaul aircraft. Since you have no tray table to pull down from the seat in front (as there isn't one) it has to be squeezed into the gap between seats. Additionally the arrangements for PTVs are similar.

Surprised you've flown many other airlines in exit rows and not come across this.

On narrowbody aircraft it's a little different as the exit rows are typically at the main doors themselves, not mid cabin as on Airbus A32X family or similar.

Most KLM planes have at least a 17" width, but this is always reduced in exit row seats that have the tray table in the armrest. You don't name your plane type, but when you choose seats near the bathrooms you get people congregating there most of the flight.

It's not limited to just KLM. You can use a site such as seatguru.com in the future and look up your specific seat next time before choosing. It would have warned you about reduced seat width and problems with people standing around by your seat.

Edited by 6rugrats

It is the first time there was a remote that was that large in the seat

It was a 747 combi

From seatguru

Seat 35 H is an Economy Comfort Class Exit Row seat that has extra legroom and is available to Economy Class passengers for an additional fee. The close proximity to the lavatories may be bothersome as people tend to congregate in this area. The tray table is in the armrest, making the armrest immovable and slightly reducing seat width. There may be no floor storage during take-off and landing.

From KLM

Seats with extra legroom

extra legroom

A bit more legroom goes a long way! Depending on the aircraft type, our seats with extra legroom offer:

It does not say anything about reduced width !

No, I don't see where it specifically states this on KLM's webpage; maybe they assume people know the tray tables are in the arms, and the seat width is reduced? Exit row seats are not always better, and personally, I'd never choose a seat near the bathrooms.

At least now you will be prepared for your next flight, because this is the same with every airline. You can look them up on seatguru.com and choose a better seat.

Last year KLM changed my seat without telling me and moved me to the last row in the cabin. They can and will do that unless you pay extra for one of the "preferred seats". I threw such a fit at the airport that they offered me business class for an additional $500 which was a no brainer for me and I took it in about a second. So alls well that ends well, however, I would be very careful booking KLM again and was not impressed with them at all.

Last year KLM changed my seat without telling me and moved me to the last row in the cabin. They can and will do that unless you pay extra for one of the "preferred seats". I threw such a fit at the airport that they offered me business class for an additional $500 which was a no brainer for me and I took it in about a second. So alls well that ends well, however, I would be very careful booking KLM again and was not impressed with them at all.

Do be aware that a specific seat is not guaranteed, even if it's a premium paid seat. Operational issues can cause changes. If you get kicked out of a paid seat, they'll generally reimburse you, but do be aware that no seat is guaranteed (and that's even the case in first class)

As stated, all airlines do this, for all classes of service, and for paid seats. I would think you'd be impressed you got a business class upgrade for $500. I am not sure I would be bragging about "threw a fit".

I check my itineraries on a regular basis as many times, these seat changes are a result of equipment changes. The faster you catch the change, the more options you have.

KLM rep also thinks the seats are narrow but too bad so sad

Live and learn

"Thanks for your email. It's really concerning to learn that the seats on your recent KLM Flight 695 were quite uncomfortable. Also, I'm sorry for your disappointment with the poor customer service you received while travel with us.

Sorry About That

I can imagine how frustrated you must have been when you noticed that your seats were much narrower than the seats that were advertised on our website. If I were in your place, I'd have been upset, too. That truly sounds unpleasant. We know that a comfortable seat with sufficient legroom on all flights matters a lot, and you should have had one. I realize you didn't get the service you expected and should've received.

We Hear You

I’ve passed your comments directly to the Onboard Service team, so they can consider your experience when making needed changes to improve the seating on our flights.

While nothing can compensate the unpleasant experience you had"

Unfortunately, all legroom seats on any airplane on any airline mostly have the tray table in the armrest, because they do not have a seat in front, or the seat in front is too far away to reach.

And I would never ever pick a seat near the toilets. There is always a congregation there.

It is the first time there was a remote that was that large in the seat
Presumably it was one of the type that is on the end of a cord that you can pull out? If so, the answer is to pull it out to the full length of the cord, and then stow it somewhere else for the duration of the flight. It will need to be stowed in its original hole for landing, but that's at the other end of the flight.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did all the seats have that remote control on the side, or was it just the exit rows? That looks really uncomfortable!
There's an easy way to deal with most remote controls of this type. You can usually unclip them, and pull out the cord to which they're attached. The cord is normally on a ratchet mechanism. Simply pull the cord out to its fullest extent, and let the remote control rest on the floor during the flight. You only need to stow it again when tidying up for landing.