Does carnival keep "notes" on past passengers?

amsred2

DH and I were on the Inspiration a few weeks ago and had some issues. However, our room steward was superb which more than made up for the problems we had elsewhere. I was so impressed by his impeccable service and that he addressed my husband and I, by name, from the moment he spotted us and on every meeting throughout this three day cruise. It didn't occur to me until the last day that he had been addressing me by "Amy". This is my nickname (usually only friends and family call me Amy), not my birth-name which would have been on the passenger manifest. I had not introduced myself using my nickname...matter-of-fact I never had the need to introduce myself as he knew us right away.

So the only reasonable explanation I can come up with, is that on a previous voyage (on this ship or others?) a note was made of my nickname. Also, if this is true, do you think that they also keep notes on our habits, tips, preferences etc???

I think it would be a good thing...except of course for those people who are a pain in the rump. For me, I think it would be a special touch. The room steward knowing my name or that we always nap before our late seating dinner, the wait staff knowing to never bother with the desert menu (I only, ever have chocolate melting cake) or the bartender knowing I like my rum&coke in a tall glass.

Carnival always does a fantastic job of remembering these details whenever I'm on board. I am just curious how they keep track...especially when they are welcoming new passengers twice a week. Do they really have such great memory abilities that they recognize us by name? Did they go through mnemonic type training to remember all the details? I just know that they do it, whether its passed on or whether they are just that good, it always makes me feel like family.

Scratching my head trying to think of a name that creates a nickname of Amy. :confused: Amilynn?

Regardless, is it possible he overheard your DH refer to you as Amy?

It's a long story (something about my mom not loving the name my dad gave me) but my birth-name is not really a derivative of Amy which was given to me when I was still a baby.

My DH calls me "babe" or "honey" or "sexy" (how sweet right...especially after 23 years). It's possible that my PVP made the note in my profile.

Feel sure Carnival and other cruises lines know more about us than we think they do! :D

We're not fond of having Carnival cabin stewards address us without using a Mr. or Miss in front of our first names. Seems quite unprofessional and is very seldom done on most other cruise lines. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I think it would be a good thing...except of course for those people who are a pain in the rump. For me, I think it would be a special touch. The room steward knowing my name or that we always nap before our late seating dinner, the wait staff knowing to never bother with the desert menu (I only, ever have chocolate melting cake) or the bartender knowing I like my rum&coke in a tall glass.

Carnival always does a fantastic job of remembering these details whenever I'm on board. I am just curious how they keep track...especially when they are welcoming new passengers twice a week. Do they really have such great memory abilities that they recognize us by name? Did they go through mnemonic type training to remember all the details? I just know that they do it, whether its passed on or whether they are just that good, it always makes me feel like family.

The crew undergoes some sort of training tht helps them remember names.

Waitstaff will get to you know your desires the first night at dinner. Room steward will ask a few questions.

DH and I were on the Inspiration a few weeks ago and had some issues. However, our room steward was superb which more than made up for the problems we had elsewhere. I was so impressed by his impeccable service and that he addressed my husband and I, by name, from the moment he spotted us and on every meeting throughout this three day cruise. It didn't occur to me until the last day that he had been addressing me by "Amy". This is my nickname (usually only friends and family call me Amy), not my birth-name which would have been on the passenger manifest. I had not introduced myself using my nickname...matter-of-fact I never had the need to introduce myself as he knew us right away.

So the only reasonable explanation I can come up with, is that on a previous voyage (on this ship or others?) a note was made of my nickname. Also, if this is true, do you think that they also keep notes on our habits, tips, preferences etc???

Maybe he read your secret diary when you out on Lido getting lunch while you waited for luggage to arrive and room to be readied.

Could be they overheard your hubby call you by Amy early on.

Might be that their cabin assignment lists show more than just name rank and serial number.

If you boarded and upon first greeting with them they proactively called you by Amy, that would have been a little creepy.

If I ran a travel company, I would want as much information on passengers and consumers collected and available as possible at all times.

The steward on a recent cruise told me that the cruise line gives out a list of names and cabins a couple of days before the cruise begins, and that she studies that list so that she knows who will be in which cabin before the cruise begins. Then, once she's introduced to the passenger, she has a face to associate with the name she already knew.

Feel sure Carnival and other cruises lines know more about us than we think they do! :D

We're not fond of having Carnival cabin stewards address us without using a Mr. or Miss in front of our first names. Seems quite unprofessional and is very seldom done on most other cruise lines. :rolleyes:

LuLu

Well, to each his own, I guess. I like the fact that they call us by Mr. or Miss with our first names, rather than our last names. i think it helps break the ice and not get things too formal. To me, it sounds friendly, and yet respectful. Perfect for the "unstuffy" cruise Carnival tries to be.

My 1st time on Seabourn, as I was walking up to check in- I was greeted by name. I said to him, I know you take a copy of guests passports and study everyones picture so you can call guests by name but I have not given you my passport yet?? His reply, you are the only woman under 30 on the ship, we know who you are!!

:):)

My 1st time on Seabourn, as I was walking up to check in- I was greeted by name. I said to him, I know you take a copy of guests passports and study everyones picture so you can call guests by name but I have not given you my passport yet?? His reply, you are the only woman under 30 on the ship, we know who you are!!

:):)

That is a great story. Thank you for posting. Huge chuckle from it, and a smile!

I did the Behind the Scenes Tour 4 years ago and they mentioned the extensive training they undergo to train them to memorize names. They would not disclose the method or technique but it is partly one of things that allows them to move up to Steward from asst. (Language tests is another) They have access to all sorts of educational tutorials they can use on their time off to gain skills to use while employed w Carnival and after.

I did the Behind the Scenes Tour 4 years ago and they mentioned the extensive training they undergo to train them to memorize names. They would not disclose the method or technique but it is partly one of things that allows them to move up to Steward from asst. (Language tests is another) They have access to all sorts of educational tutorials they can use on their time off to gain skills to use while employed w Carnival and after.

That is interesting. I am always amazed at how well they remember names. Even crew members moved to different locations remember names. It makes the cruise that much more memorable.

Well, to each his own, I guess. I like the fact that they call us by Mr. or Miss with our first names, rather than our last names. i think it helps break the ice and not get things too formal. To me, it sounds friendly, and yet respectful. Perfect for the "unstuffy" cruise Carnival tries to be.

Using title + first name in salutations is a southern mannerism.

Ok, I have to add a little funny to this. On our very first cruise the bar staff always called my husband Mr. Robert. He drinks a lot more than I do and I mostly stick to Coke with my bubbles card. By day 2 they were calling me Mrs. Robert! They had no idea what my name was because they rarely saw my card!

We still laugh about that!

So, I go on Carnival Triumph pretty frequently because I live right here and can jump on for a weekend getaway. When I was on in early December, I was in the buffet line for lunch on day 1 and the guy serving says," Hi Angela, nice to see you, did you come by yourself again?" I was completely taken aback and was like how do you know these things?!! The guy says I was your assistant waiter in the MDR on your last cruise, it was October, wasn't it?

It was. Color me impressed. Those guys have crazy memories!

My PVP, who is also a good friend of mine, tells me that he takes note of EVERYTHING when he talks to his guests and writes it all in the notes section of the guest's profile. That way, when he talks to the guest weeks or months later (and after having spoken to hundreds of other guests), he can read the notes quickly and make the guest feel special because he "remembers them".

My PVP told me about a time he could hear a dog in the background while talking to a guest, so he asked them for the dog's name and wrote it on the profile. When the guest called again weeks later, my PVP casually inserted "How's Fluffy doing? I don't hear him today", to which the guest reacted with amazement that their PVP had "remembered".

Little things like that earn a guest's loyalty, and when it's time to book again, most likely these guests will think of booking through that same PVP that remembered them so well. [emoji6]

Edited by Tapi