How Can Carnival Improve?

Richjoxyz

I would be very disappointed if Carnival were to modify their MDR experieicne any more than they have done so to date (and to be honest, I do not see them doing so). The experience can remain independant to dress code (we enjoy the older style dress code as well). Funny on your last comment, it is Carnival that is holding true to the MDR experience, not so much NCL or RCCL.

On a somewhat related topic, I see today the NCL must have been bludgeoned enough on their stupid policy about food leaving LIDO (or whatever they call it) or the MDR to cabins, as they have recalled the directive today. Guess Carnival is not the only line to try and recall an initiative.;)

That is good to hear....

And I am like Tapi and you in liking it and with you in hoping it stays as is..perfect nice casual..

My first cruise in 1980 at 20..on a 30 year old more casual Greek line..the dinner was high light..we dressed up some..even in more casual way. Captain's night was the 80's dressy maxi skirt halter top thing or church good...but it was nice and they served from platters with white gloves...

My first Carnival team in 2009 with current more casual and some older couples that forgot still put on a necklace and white shirt and slacks and guys wore best shirts and slacks..a least a collar. These were older couples who were on an "extra" cruise but they had some class..they were cute and felt sorry for the newbies or not too oftens that dressed up a bit more. There is nothing like it..the tiny effort with known and unknown folks brings something together that is not there before without...... ...respect..memories..everything...!!

That is good to hear....

And I am like Tapi and you in liking it and with you in hoping it stays as is..perfect nice casual..

My first cruise in 1980 at 20..on a 30 year old more casual Greek line..the dinner was high light..we dressed up some..even in more casual way. Captain's night was the 80's dressy maxi skirt halter top thing or church good...but it was nice and they served from platters with white gloves...

My first Carnival team in 2009 with current more casual and some older couples that forgot still put on a necklace and white shirt and slacks and guys wore best shirts and slacks..a least a collar. These were older couples who were on an "extra" cruise but they had some class..they were cute and felt sorry for the newbies or not too oftens that dressed up a bit more. There is nothing like it..the tiny effort with known and unknown folks brings something together that is not there before without...... ...respect..memories..everything...!!

Well said.

That is why they started their journey cruises. Waiting on a date that works for us with a closed loop.

BTW we have done cruises out of Florida going to St Kitts and St Lucia in either 7 or 8 days.

A lot of people can't cruise for 10 or 11 days minimum to enjoy the ports on the Journeys cruises. I agree that a closed loop is preferable to having to fly to or from San Juan.

I agree with the cooling in the rooms.

My second to last carnival cruise was in 2010, porthole room, no problem with room temp ever, daytime, evening, morning, always, comfortable.

This most recent cruise, November 2014, would wake up in the morning warm, come back to the room during the day...warm, too warm, and come back late afternoon to get ready for dinner, wayyyyy toooo warm!!!

would come back late evening, 11pm to midnight,and the room was warm but tolerable. Go to bed, room a little warm, but ok, wake up at 3am, room comfortable. All this occurred with the temp control at it's coolest temp.

I understand not setting your ac cold during the day while you are out of the room, but what is the point of a room temp control dial, when it does not make a difference to your room temp.

This was Freedom, mid November 2014. 4j forward picture window ( I closed the heavy curtains during the day after day one, to keep the heat out) but did not make a difference. Was no biggie for me since the room always somehow seemed to cool during the night enough for a comfortable sleep under sheet only.

I agree with the cooling in the rooms.

My second to last carnival cruise was in 2010, porthole room, no problem with room temp ever, daytime, evening, morning, always, comfortable.

This most recent cruise, November 2014, would wake up in the morning warm, come back to the room during the day...warm, too warm, and come back late afternoon to get ready for dinner, wayyyyy toooo warm!!!

would come back late evening, 11pm to midnight,and the room was warm but tolerable. Go to bed, room a little warm, but ok, wake up at 3am, room comfortable. All this occurred with the temp control at it's coolest temp.

I understand not setting your ac cold during the day while you are out of the room, but what is the point of a room temp control dial, when it does not make a difference to your room temp.

This was Freedom, mid November 2014. 4j forward picture window ( I closed the heavy curtains during the day after day one, to keep the heat out) but did not make a difference. Was no biggie for me since the room always somehow seemed to cool during the night enough for a comfortable sleep under sheet only.

Really depends on the ship and where the room is. We have found the temp gauge works. I brought a digital temp gauge that tracked temps and ranges. The reason was to prove a point to someone here. Granted it was an aft wrap that has two air ducts. At mid point on the scale it was 72. Lowest range was 69.

I asked my son this same question on the way home this weekend. He said it would be really cool if they had Jet Ski rental off the back of the boat on sea days. He had it all planned out with a launching and recovery station and a safety boat out in the sea. As fun as it sounds, I can only imagine the havoc this would bring with it :D

Something like this? [emoji2]

watersports-marina.jpg

Really depends on the ship and where the room is. We have found the temp gauge works. I brought a digital temp gauge that tracked temps and ranges. The reason was to prove a point to someone here. Granted it was an aft wrap that has two air ducts. At mid point on the scale it was 72. Lowest range was 69.

this was the first ever time, I felt the room was too warm (for me), I dont like warm, but it was also not a huge issue, because I was only ever in the room long term at night to sleep, and by then it was cool enough (with just a sheet), but still ok for me.

as you say, it probably depends on the location of the room, and this was a 4j, a room with window onto a forward (secret) deck. So even with the curtains drawn by day, there was warming coming from the front of the ship, unavoidable, given the placement. It was not for me a huge issue, since I do not spend a lot of time by day in the room, and it was always reasonably comfortable by sleep time.

next cruise I am back down (way down) to port hole room, so will see if that might be better place for me, especially since those 4js usually cost more.

Edited by SMSACE6

Funny on your last comment, it is Carnival that is holding true to the MDR experience, not so much NCL or RCCL.;)

Even though I consider RCCL to be a notch above Carnival, I still consider these two cruise lines, along with NCL, to cater to the same type of cruiser: mass market, casual and relaxed. I wouldn't be devastated if formal nights were completely abolished on these 3 cruise lines. Traveling with small children, carrying formal wear is a bit of a nightmare for us.

But I do believe that formal nights should continue being part of the cruise experience on cruise lines in the next tier and above (Princess, Celebrity, Holland and higher), where a touch of elegance is expected.

We have two cruises planned for next year. Carnival with kids. Cunard without. On one end, my wife is ecstatic about taking a casual and unpretentious cruise with the kids and not having to pack too much. Probably wear shorts all week and maybe skip elegant night in favor of the buffet just to avoid dressing up. On the other end, she's ecstatic about playing dress up on the Cunard cruise where not even jeans are allowed at night. That cruise is over a year away and she's already been going through her closet, picking out what she will wear on each evening! [emoji15]

Edited by Tapi

Even though I consider RCCL a notch above Carnival, I still consider these two cruise lines, along with NCL, to cater to the same type of cruiser: mass market, casual and relaxed. I wouldn't be devastated if formal nights were completely abolished on these 3 cruise lines. Traveling with small children, carrying formal wear is a bit of a nightmare.

But I do believe that formal nights should continue being part of the cruise experience on cruise lines in the next tier and above (Princess, Celebrity, Holland and higher).

We have two cruises planned for next year. Carnival with kids. Cunard without. On one end, my wife is ecstatic about taking a casual and unpretentious cruise with the kids and not having to pack too much. On the other end, she's ecstatic about playing dress up on the Cunard cruise where not even jeans are allowed at night. That cruise is over a year away and she's already been picking out what she will wear on each evening. [emoji15]

I get your point and understand. I still long for the formal nights. We still dress up and miss everyone doing it, but it is what it is.

Even though I consider RCCL to be a notch above Carnival, I still consider these two cruise lines, along with NCL, to cater to the same type of cruiser: mass market, casual and relaxed. I wouldn't be devastated if formal nights were completely abolished on these 3 cruise lines. Traveling with small children, carrying formal wear is a bit of a nightmare for us.

But I do believe that formal nights should continue being part of the cruise experience on cruise lines in the next tier and above (Princess, Celebrity, Holland and higher), where a touch of elegance is expected.

We have two cruises planned for next year. Carnival with kids. Cunard without. On one end, my wife is ecstatic about taking a casual and unpretentious cruise with the kids and not having to pack too much. Probably wear shorts all week and maybe skip elegant night in favor of the buffet just to avoid dressing up. On the other end, she's ecstatic about playing dress up on the Cunard cruise where not even jeans are allowed at night. That cruise is over a year away and she's already been going through her closet, picking out what she will wear on each evening! [emoji15]

At least she is going through the closet and not making your wallet lighter by buying a new wardrobe for the cruise.

Edited by mediccruzin
Fat thumbs on a iPad.

Here is my list. For reference I am Diamond on Carnival and RCCL, Platinum on Princess and Silver on NCL and have sailed HAL, MSC and Celebrity as well.

1. Dump Playlist productions and bring back some decent shows - take a lesson from MSC when it comes to production shows.

2. Enforce the rules - chair hogs, kids in hot tubs or Serenity, no diapers in pools, dress code, smoking on balconies etc. Don't have the rule if you won't enforce it.

3. Offer some suite perks. Other lines put Carnival to shame and suites are often cheaper on those and come with good perks. (especially NCL) Should allow suites to order off MDR menu at breakfast, lunch and dinner like Princess and Royal Caribbean do. On ships with Steakhouses Breakfast and maybe lunch in the Steakhouse for suite guests. NCL and Royal Caribbean offer breakfast and lunch, Princess offers special breakfast in Sabatini's. Princess also gives first night complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant for suite guests. On ships with thermal suite offer suite guests entry like they do on Princess. MSC offers 1 free visit for Yacht Club guests. Complimentary mini bar (MSC YC) etc.

4. Improve Past Guest program (double points for suites, better discounts for balcony and above staterooms RCCL gives $225 off a balcony or above for Diamond members)

5. Bring back some of the great dishes Carnival had in the past - Beef Wellington for example. Sorry, but ribs and Macaroni and Cheese are not MDR food.

6. Improve the flow of the Lido. Having drink stations out in the middle stops the flow of traffic through the Lido. Also, it should be glasses, ice then drink machines.

7. Stop singing and dancing in MDR since servers have to stop service to perform. I can't stand when people swing dirty napkins around.

8. Additional live entertainment throughout the ship in the evening. Princess, MSC and RCCL have lots of choices of things to do in the evening. We find ourselves bored on Carnival and opt for late dining and then we end up going to bed for lack of anything to do since foul mouthed comedians are not our idea of entertainment.

9. Change up the trivia questions. Repeat cruisers have a big advantage since they have had the same questions over and over.

10. Turn down the volume in the theater

11. Bring back live entertainment by the pool (Steel band would be great)

12. Bring back some of the great wines that Carnival used to offer when Uncle Bob was in charge.

13. No bathrobes except in the cabins and spa area. So tired of people in robes and slippers having breakfast on the Lido.

Enforce their rules. Keep kids out of the hot tubs, enforce dress codes in the MDR, no blue, red, gold in the PG party.

Taste Bar is used at night, similar to when the sushi bar was used.

Just off the Victory and completely agree with the rule enforcement. We saw babies/toddlers in swim diapers in pools and hot tubs, smoking on the pool deck and other non-smoking areas, and complete disregard for the dining room dress code.

I get your point and understand. I still long for the formal nights. We still dress up and miss everyone doing it, but it is what it is.

Yes. Hi Jimbo. We like a couple of formal nights, but overall are casual. Hope the last remaining formals stay in the fold on longer cruises.

Edited by eponym

Just off the Victory and completely agree with the rule enforcement. We saw babies/toddlers in swim diapers in pools and hot tubs, smoking on the pool deck and other non-smoking areas, and complete disregard for the dining room dress code.

None of that sounds good at all.

13. No bathrobes except in the cabins and spa area. So tired of people in robes and slippers having breakfast on the Lido.

I really like your list, and I agree with all of the improvements that you recommended. But I don't get how Carnival would implement #13 besides forcing all passengers to take an online etiquette course before the cruise, or equipping all bathrobes with an electric shocker if it leaves the cabins or spa area!

I totally agree on the volume on Lido. Too loud and I'm not a fan of the teeny bopper poop that passes for music. I have 3 teenagers, I hear enough of that at home.

I don't care about dressing up. Completely ambivalent on that. But I do wish dinner wouldn't take so long.

Steel drum bands, yes please! Miss that!

Would love to see happy hour offered.

As an aside, the bathrobes on lido thing is cracking me up. I'm not really offended, just amazed that people don't know any better. I am, however, mortally offended by g string bathing suits on men and women of all sizes and states of hairiness. THOSE people need to put the robe ON.