How Can Carnival Improve?

Richjoxyz

• Install automatic door openers for all public doors for wheelchair accessibility;
  • Make all Serenity areas wheelchair accessible;
  • Create more accessible cabins for 3 or 4 and stop putting the accessible cabins in out of the way or inconvenient areas on the new ships (why do most have to be right at the front of the ship?)
  • Ensure that all ramps used to debark at ports are wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs and scooters and long enough so that the angle isn't excessively steep.

And separate from all that - make a deal with Coke to put in self serve fountains (the Freestyle machines would be awesome).

Fountain coke is just nasty.

I

Bring in some logistics people to help with the buffet lines. I’ve seen some pretty stupid things (e.g., omelet station at the end of a buffet line, meaning everyone who doesn’t want an omelet still has to wait for the omelet makers in order for the line to move).

QUOTE]

The buffet line moves along fine unless a person asks for something special. I've never had to wait on the omelet guy for the doled out bacon.

They could put the butter somewhere sensible, like near the bread!

my two cents...

Take away the loyalty perks for all levels. Replace it with on board credit. Do it per person and not per stateroom. $25 for Red, $50 for Gold, ect, ect. That way people can use it for what they need or want. But not allow it for gratuities.

Have larger sizes clothing available. I am fluffy sized. I would love to wear Carnival clothing. If not have it available on the ship, due to space, have it so you can order it for delivery on the ship.

More educational or instructional seminars on sea days or evenings. Hands on cooking classes would be fantastic. Seminars about Carnival, the ships, sea life, Ports you are about to visit, ect, ect would be amazing.

I am not complaining, far from it. We like Carnival. We love the Carnival Pride. If she was to go to a few more ports then Nassau and Freeport, you may never get me off her!!!!

Edited by nokidz

I no longer go to the “port briefing” because it is ridiculous and a waste of time. They try to sell you on their own thing and really tell you nothing about the port, island, city, country, etc. There are many less mainstream cruise lines, particularly operating in Europe, that include educational talks as part of their program.

How else will you be able to find Diamonds International or Colombian Emeralds ;)

I seem to remember the good old days when the port talks actually gave some useful information.

Posted by: CRUZBUDS

"I seem to remember the good old days when the port talks actually gave some useful information."

I completely agree. It is far to much advertising for the companies they "recommend", which DW and I are convinced (our own suspicion and not researched in anyway) owed by the cruise line.

Carnival needs to scrap there rust bucket ships. Get rid of the putrid Fantasy class ships that aren't good for anything!

I couldn't disagree more. I prefer to sail on the Fantasy class. I'm willing to try a spirit class someday but the others are just not my cup of tea. Just too big and crowded for me.

I would like to see improvement in the music offerings. I like live music and miss it on lido deck.

I couldn't disagree more. I prefer to sail on the Fantasy class. I'm willing to try a spirit class someday but the others are just not my cup of tea. Just too big and crowded for me.

I would like to see improvement in the music offerings. I like live music and miss it on lido deck.

While I agree that they are rust buckets, in no way should they be scrapped. They are what they are.

The only "cruise ship" that I advocated getting scrapped is Bahamas Celebration, which fortunately was severely damaged last year and actually may be scrapped.

Former ferries do not make good cruise ships! Their pathetic lido deck was an insult to lido decks everywhere!

Edited by lido deck larry

I couldn't disagree more. I prefer to sail on the Fantasy class. I'm willing to try a spirit class someday but the others are just not my cup of tea. Just too big and crowded for me. .

I always find it ironic that some people prefer to sail on Fantasy class ships because they are "less crowded". Even though they carry less passengers, they have a worse space to passenger ratio which makes them MORE crowded than many larger ships. The worst lines and feelings of claustrophobia that I've ever experienced on any ship I've sailed on has been on Fantasy class ships.

I suppose if I could design the ship to meet my personal needs, I would change the entire ambiance of the MDR. I’d get rid of the faux formal (with uniformed waiters and assistant bread basket carriers) and shift it more to a casual steakhouse atmosphere – the type of place you’d go out to have a fun meal (i.e., the type of place I go to when I go out for dinner on a regular vacation). That would also solve most of the dress code issues.

I am a huge advocate of the traditional dining room experience (probably because I started cruising back when going to the MDR for dinner and dressing up was the highlight of the day). But I agree that on today's Carnival, it doesn't quite belong.

I am in favor of maintaining the formal dining experience on other cruise lines, where their target cruiser is indeed interested in a more elegant and traditional experience. But the average cruiser on Carnival wants to relax and takes little pleasure in dressing up. This is evident when you see people running back to their cabins after "elegant" dinner to change clothes.

I looked forward to the formal dining experience when we sailed on Holland simply because it was truly a formal affair. The cuisine, service And people stayed in their formal attire throughout the night. This tradition definitely belonged on that cruise line. On Carnival, not so much.

I always find it ironic that some people prefer to sail on Fantasy class ships because they are "less crowded". Even though they carry less passengers, they have a worse space to passenger ratio which makes them MORE crowded than many larger ships. The worst lines and feelings of claustrophobia that I've ever experienced on any ship I've sailed on has been on Fantasy class ships.

More than it being a crowding thing, I think what people like about the Fantasy class is the smaller ship and overall less people. I am also sure their is a nostoglia factor of being their first expereince of Carnival cruising.

I am a huge advocate of the traditional dining room experience (probably because I started cruising back when going to the MDR for dinner and dressing up was the highlight of the day). But I agree that on today's Carnival, it doesn't quite belong.

I am in favor of maintaining the formal dining experience on other cruise lines, where their target cruiser is indeed interested in a more elegant and traditional experience. But the average cruiser on Carnival wants to relax and takes little pleasure in dressing up. This is evident when you see people running back to their cabins after "elegant" dinner to change clothes.

I looked forward to the formal dining experience when we sailed on Holland simply because it was truly a formal affair. The cuisine, service And people stayed in their formal attire throughout the night. This tradition definitely belonged on that cruise line. On Carnival, not so much.

I would be very disappointed if Carnival were to modify their MDR experieicne any more than they have done so to date (and to be honest, I do not see them doing so). The experience can remain independant to dress code (we enjoy the older style dress code as well). Funny on your last comment, it is Carnival that is holding true to the MDR experience, not so much NCL or RCCL.

On a somewhat related topic, I see today the NCL must have been bludgeoned enough on their stupid policy about food leaving LIDO (or whatever they call it) or the MDR to cabins, as they have recalled the directive today. Guess Carnival is not the only line to try and recall an initiative.;)

CCL was tacky and elegant at the same time.

Formal nights for dinner, then, the mens night gown contest.

Afternoon tea, then a hairy chest contest.

Beating the crap out of each other with heavy pillows on a log(advertised as pillow fighting),

then trap shooting off the stern.

Beer drinking contest from a yard of beer poolside, then the sommelier

would recommend a wine for dinner.

Second formal night, then the homemade costume contest.

Make the cruise just tacky and formal enough.

Beating the crap out of each other with heavy pillows on a log(advertised as pillow fighting),

That was all part of a FUN cruise.

Carnival needs to scrap there rust bucket ships. Get rid of the putrid Fantasy class ships that aren't good for anything!

The Carnival Fascination is an awesome ship for a short cruise. It can also run cruises out of small ports like Jacksonville which is a quick, 4 hour drive for us. The Fascination has been recently overhauled with new balconies, updated rooms, waterslides and a nicely sized children's waterpark. It feels like a large ship with no crowds, short lines and a more personal feel. I have been on both and I would choose the Fascination over the Breeze in a heartbeat.

Bring back the OLD Shows. I don't like the Playlist Productions.

I couldn't agree with you more! Well said.

I just cruised my last two cruises on Princess and what a big difference on the entertainment side. I think Carnival really missed the mark when they did away with the old style shows. There is such a lack of good entertainment and live music vs. what it's competition is offering.

As far as buffet .... I found the Breeze had such a better quality and selection than the other Carnival ships I went on, but I later found out that food is really dependent upon the master chef and culinary team that is brought on board and can definitely vary ship to ship across the line.

I love my Carnival (had great cruises with them and will continue to do so), but I am also finding out what the other lines can offer as well.

Loved the pillow fights! Bring back the horse races!:D

I asked my son this same question on the way home this weekend. He said it would be really cool if they had Jet Ski rental off the back of the boat on sea days. He had it all planned out with a launching and recovery station and a safety boat out in the sea. As fun as it sounds, I can only imagine the havoc this would bring with it :D

I will admit it has been some years since I've sailed however the worst I've ever experienced has been on the Destiny. My best experiences were on the Holiday but that isn't an option anymore. (Those would really be rust buckets) I will say that the Fantasy class ships didn't have nearly the lines on Lido that I experienced (maybe it was just a lido loving cruise but I had long waits every time), easy (to me) layout and plenty of shady spots. The Destiny might have had the real estate but I found I struggled to find shady spots that didn't leave me feeling isolated.

Get food and service levels up to level of Paradise 2009 cruise...LOL. She still gets pretty good food and service marks...I had a team approach on a 10-12 top that was superb..even as table changed with some roaming singles.

Get as you wish dining out in less time..no forever waits. Watch slipping food quality..I do not care what menu..watch the quality. Keep new casual main dining rules real..still a minor step up on formal nights and send baseball caps and bad shorts, torn jeans..and ratty flip flops to lido..and if bad enough...back to room from lido...LOL.

Get better live music options..it makes the cruise..a good option other than comedy or show or piano bar or gambling in evening. A good listening and sipping a drink place.

Watch playlist..go back to old model of they just do not fly with enough plus remarks.

Have more real bingo..I would love that for not big gamblers..I think families would play more affordable longer games...for down time. Make a Seuss character call it out...best memories..bingo with my grandparents where we ate dinner and played...7 dollar wins!! LOL...

Add a little history/culture talk for each port with the sales stuff. The sales guy could have to learn it...make places a bit more real and special....think it would boost island respect too...I think cruising should also be for finding that land island one is going to return too...awesome help all the way around..win win...because ports get better for that too. Make it more than just commercial..the new generations really want this.

Keep up the fantastic work..you do a lot right and consistently...clean ships, happy crew, good family cruises..good young at heart cruises...to many many great places.

I do not think it is too expensive to get these things to par.

Thank you for thread OP and thank you Carnival Staff for reading...

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Personally would like to see more port options from FL. Don't want to have to fly to/from SJ in order to visit St Kitts, Lucia, Barbados, etc.

That is why they started their journey cruises. Waiting on a date that works for us with a closed loop.

BTW we have done cruises out of Florida going to St Kitts and St Lucia in either 7 or 8 days.