Worth the risk for flying in same day as cruise?

psadvocate

I don't think I'd book a flight on Sun County to a destination that I really had to get to. The airline and pilots have been in contract negotiations for a while, and the airline has said there will be no more offers. In addition, the airline has said if the pilots strike they will shut down operations. It doesn't appear that the pilots are planning a strike anytime soon, but I wouldn't want that worry hanging over my cruise plans. And if you don't think any of that can happen, just ask the people who had flights booked on Eastern Airlines back in the late 80's or early 90's when they shut down.

Or on reconstituted PanAm, when they closed down with just one day's notice to their staff - and zero to booked future passengers.

I don't think I'd book a flight on Sun County to a destination that I really had to get to. The airline and pilots have been in contract negotiations for a while, and the airline has said there will be no more offers. In addition, the airline has said if the pilots strike they will shut down operations. It doesn't appear that the pilots are planning a strike anytime soon, but I wouldn't want that worry hanging over my cruise plans. And if you don't think any of that can happen, just ask the people who had flights booked on Eastern Airlines back in the late 80's or early 90's when they shut down.

That's what happened to friends of hours flying to San Juan for a cruise. They got to DTW to discover the pilots on their airline went on strike. They were flying out the day before but they couldn't get replacement flights on another airline until the next morning. They got to their cruise in time but just barely.

When you consider what you're spending on the cruise, the extra hundred dollars fr a decent room and a couple of meals is nothing. We have done 12 cruises (not nearly as many as most) but have never traveled the same day with the exception of two cruises our of Galveston which is 200 miles from our home. I agree with the poster who said get there a day early and relax. Sometimes the departure port is an interesting place to explore as well. Do you self a favor and go at least one day early. It isn't worth taking the chance (IMHO).

Cheers, Kenn

Sun Country has the best price for sailing into San Juan - but it would fly us in at 4pm. Cruise is set to depart at 830pm. Would you take the risk and fly in same day?

In a perfect world, you'd go in a day or two early, enjoy the port city, and casually stroll onto the ship on departure day, already relaxed. Most of the responses assume that you have the ability to go in a day early. Some people have the luxury of time to do this, many working people do not.

Would I take the risk? I have multiple times. Mostly because my work schedule is very inflexible and it was either fly the same day or don't go. Of our 12 cruises, we've flown in the same day for 7 of them, twice to San Juan. Stressful? Not really. We've only cut it close once, on our first cruise. The muster drills started as we boarded. :eek:

If I need to fly the same day, I pick direct flights only, and try to make it the first flight out. Which for MSP usually means the plane was here overnight. If it's a winter trip, I'm flying to a warm weather destination, so weather at the other end is rarely an issue. We also don't check luggage, which saves some time and removes a variable.

Having said all that, the travel machine has a lot of moving parts, and the breakdown of one part can cause a whole cascade of problems. You didn't say what time of year you'd be flying. In winter, MSP does a fantastic job of clearing their runways and getting planes in and out. The problem is, a delay in Detroit or Ft. Lauderdale, or anywhere, could mean the plane you were supposed to fly out on doesn't show up until late, or at all.

So would I? Probably, if I had to. Just know what the risks are and accept that you might miss the boat. San Juan isn't a bad place to spend a couple days, especially when it's below zero in Minnesota.:D

I know that I am odd man out but we usually fly in early the morning of the cruise and it has always worked but I would not chance a flight arriving that close to sailing time. We are also flying into SJU at noon on Saturday for our cruise and anticipate our luck will hold. An aside - May has been a month of weekly silly delays and one cancelled flight so I so I figure I am due for an easy flight in June.

We flew DFW to MIA on May 1 and wound up with a mechanical delay. They got us a new plane (and we had to go to a different terminal.) The flight that should have gotten in by 2:30pm got in at about 4:30pm. UGH! Just glad it was the day BEFORE embarkation otherwise, we would have missed out ship.

There have been lots of weather delays, too- on the way home, we had 1 hour of circling due to weather. So...IMO, it is always best to fly in at least 24 hours in advance of your cruise. If you must fly in day of...then go as early as possible - 4am or 5am just in case you have a delay. If you are doing connections, no way would I fly in day of. Too many risk factors.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

The Putterdude first rule in getting to the port of embarkation is, "if you have to fly or drive more then 4 hours....go the day before" the risk of something going wrong and missing the cruise is just to great.

We Flew the same day as departure because it was only a 2 1/2 flight to the cruise port.

I wrote about missing the ship under the title "Our Most Excellent Adventure, We Missed the Ship".

So, we are heading out again in Sept on a 10 day cruise out of New York. Since we live on the West Coast, we are flying into New York City two days early this time.

We have crossed off our list of things to do the idea of flying the same day.

Bob

last week people missed the ship embarkation in Montreal due to a storm on the east coast

Flights were delayed from NYC & some shut down in Atlanta

some were able to board in the next port other had to board in Quebec City

these days you are better off to fly in a day or more early

JMO

Flying within continental U.S. - maybe. Otherwise - no way. Certainly not 4 hours before you have to be on board.

Remember, the OP has to be on board at 7:00 for an 8:30 departure. That is 3 hours before they have to be on board, not 4. I just can not figure out what some people have substituted for their brains.

DON

The Putterdude first rule in getting to the port of embarkation is, "if you have to fly or drive more then 4 hours....go the day before" the risk of something going wrong and missing the cruise is just to great.

I only have a two hour drive, but still prefer the day before, if I do drive on the day I leave home about 5:00 am for a 4:00 pm last board just in case something happens.