Guarantee cabin

sandancer

Question' date=' please from a newbie on Cunard: what is a 'sheltered balcony'? We are booked on QV in 4178 with the extended balcony, which has a balcony above ours, thus 'sheltered'?[/quote']

Sheltered balconies are only featured on QM2, they have metal sides and frontage and you can only see the sea by standing up (unless you are very tall!) :)

Question' date=' please from a newbie on Cunard: what is a 'sheltered balcony'? We are booked on QV in 4178 with the extended balcony, which has a balcony above ours, thus 'sheltered'?[/quote']

I'm not sure why you think it's regarded as sheltered. It is just a regular glass-fronted one. However I see from the deck plans that it is extended width-ways. Lucky you for getting that one!

Victoria and Elizabeth have a few metal-fronted balconies (in place of the glass front) but QM2's true sheltered balconies are formed by cutting holes in the actual hull of the ship.

Metal-fronted balcony (QV)

balcBxy.jpg

Sheltered balcony (QM2)

QM2%20Sheltered%20Bal%20Small.jpg

While we are seasoned cruisers we are about to take our first Cunard cruise. We have chosen a guarantee and would like to ask all you regular Cunarders for advice. Any idea when we will be allocated a cabin. Until we do I understand we will not have access to edocs and as this cruise is at the end of a longer trip it might not be so easy to print our paperwork. I am assuming from past cruises on other lines that you have to present your docs at pier check in. Anyone help with this?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've found that the upgrade fairy seems to prefer those who book a "guarantee catagory" as opposed to booking an actual cabin.

I've found that the upgrade fairy seems to prefer those who book a "guarantee catagory" as opposed to booking an actual cabin.

Well its never worked for us. We have always got just about the guarantee we booked - might be a category higher in the same class of cabin if anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salad Muncher, Ray 66, and UnderWatr, thanks for your responses. Now I understand. I thought it might mean that there was a balcony above your own.

And yes, we were lucky to get this fantastic balcony at such a late booking date. Only booked on 12 June. I guess many folks don't bother to check out the deck plans prior to booking. Or perhaps they don't want to be above a dining room. But that won't bother us as much as being under the Lido with the deck chairs being scraped about while cleaning the deck in the very early morning, which happened once - but never again!

I booked the lowest balcony guarantee for July 30 on QM2, and have had a cabin allocated, the highest sheltered balcony category. My cruise is 7 weeks away.

Funny, how some get allocated quicker than others. I'm happy with the location as well...it is mid-ship.

:D

12 days to go and still no cabin number. I am resigned to getting it on boarding. Have no problems with that except definitely won't be presenting them with any cruise docs. I'm sure this has happened many times before. However, I'm one of those old fashioned people who like "tickets".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As luggage is dropped off first Sandancer how can you label it if you find out cabin number upon checking in ?.....
As it is only a short cruise we will only take carry on bags so thats not a problem. I think I'm just being TOO impatient as I am over excited. Its our first Cunard cruise, but 50th overall, and I still get just as enthusiastic as ever.

• 3 weeks later...

We had 4048 in June and thoroughly enjoyed the stateroom and its location. We were upgraded from an obstructed view, our first cruise on the Cunard and are currently booking another for next May - I hope we luck out again!

When you are allocated a cabin, do Cunard email you, or do you find out by checking the voyage personaliser?

I've never been informed by my TA. Only by Cunard when I've booked direct with them.

I just keep looking in my Voyage Personaliser.

Edited by Ray66

I've never been informed by my TA. Only by Cunard when I've booked direct with them.

I just keep looking in my Voyage Personaliser.

Yes I booked direct so the TA option wasn't going happen. Checking my personaliser every day for our transatlantic on 11th August.

Yes I booked direct so the TA option wasn't going happen. Checking my personaliser every day for our transatlantic on 11th August.

Thascales

You will get an email from Cunard but I found that it was shown on the Voyage Personaliser a few hours earlier the last time we had a guarantee room. Enjoy your cruise.

Will

We got an email from our TA attaching downloaded travel docs to print off and these advised our cabin allocation. We had been unable to download before receipt of the email because Cruise personaliser said we had not yet been allocated a cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD