How We Saw Seattle in One Day!

Stayed at Sleep Inn SEATAC Airport. The hotel shuttle took us around 9:30 AM directly to the light rail station. After a 40 minute ride (about $3 per person) into downtown Seattle to the Westlake stop (end of the line), we walked about 4 blocks downhill to the Pike Place Market. There we stayed about 2 hours, looking around and also had lunch at the Market Grill inside the shopping area. Had delicious clam chowder and grilled halibut.

Then we took a stairway down the back of the market to a lower level street where we walked left along the waterfront about 12 blocks to the Bainbridge Island ferry. At a cost of only $8 per person roundtrip, we took the roughly 35 minute ferry ride to Bainbridge. We got off for about an hour, walked uphill to the town and got some gelato ice cream, looked around a little bit and went back to the ferry for the return trip. Got some really nice photos of the Seattle skyline from the water.

Upon returning to Seattle, took the footbridge from the ferry and walked about 4 blocks straight uphill to a Starbucks for some coffee. Then walked about 4 more blocks to Columbia Tower. To us, this is a better option than the Space Needle. It is much taller than the Space Needle and cheaper (adults 55 and older can ride the elevators to the top for only $9; others pay just a bit more). From the 72nd floor, you have a breathtaking 360 degree view of the entire downtown area of Seattle (including the Space Needle), Mariners and Seahawks stadiums, Puget Sound and many of the bridges and islands. Others we met there said that there is so much crowding around the windows in the Space Needle and so much protective material to keep people from jumping that you can't get decent photos. There was nothing to block the view in Columbia Tower.

From Columbia Tower, we walked downhill to the nearest light rail station and rode again to Westlake stop. From there, we boarded the monorail to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle and Chihuly Gardens are located. The lines to go up in the Space Needle were about 2 hours long, so we were glad we had chosen Columbia Tower!

While there, we went through Chihuly Gardens. Although this attraction is pricey, we can't say enough about how beautiful and unusual it is. Very unique.

We then ate dinner at the food court at Seattle Center. Several out-of-the-ordinary fast food restaurants are there. One of us had Mediterranean food and the other barbecue, and we both thought our meals were delicious. Plus, it didn't break the bank! There was some sort of live folk music entertainment going on inside the Seattle Center that we sat and enjoyed for a while.

After that, we reversed our course on the monorail back to Westlake and got back on the light rail to return to the airport. On the way, we got off at the Othello stop because we had seen a Safeway grocery there that morning, and we wanted to buy some soft drinks to take on our cruise. Once that was done, it was back to the light rail and on to the airport stop where the hotel shuttle picked us up and took us to the hotel. We arrived tired but amazed at all we had been able to see and do in one day! It was the perfect start to our Alaska cruise that left the next morning.

By the way, the next morning at 10 AM we took Shuttle Express from our hotel directly to the cruise port at a cost of $12 per person. And we also took it (at the same price) after our cruise directly from the port to the airport. We paid $24 per person round trip when others paid $100 or more for the same thing!

Hope this info helps others to see and enjoy Seattle!

I think I'm exhausted after a day like that!!! I really want to see the Chihuly Gardens, and have that on the radar for next fall, along with another Alaskan cruise. Nice to hear that you thought it was so impressive.

Luvsnorkeling, thanks for your post. Honey and I are sailing 8/11 and I'm investigating options for us. We'd rather spend $ on excursions so I'm looking for good service/good price.

Were you happy with Sleep Inn? Arriving Monday night and really just need a place to sleep, but don't want to stay in a dump. I figured airport was better than downtown. We will do our city touring after the cruise

Also, which shuttle did you use? Lowest I've found is $22 per person one way from the airport to the pier. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise!

Yes, Seattle Express is the one I mentioned in my original post. It picks up at several hotels in the airport area for $12 per person to the cruise port. You can also take it from the cruise port back to the airport for the same price.

We were pleased with the Sleep Inn. It was clean, quiet and had a pretty good breakfast. Bed was also comfortable which is a big plus for us. Shuttles were on time and were willing to take you most anyplace within reasonable distance. Don't expect 5 star quality, but it's fine for sleeping while seeing the area or for an overnight before a cruise.

Other hotels where Shuttle Express picks up: Super 8, Crowne Plaza, Quality Inn, Clarion, Hilton, and Cedarbrook Lodge. There are probably others, but these I know for sure because we stopped at all of them on the way to the cruise port and still arrived there by 10:45.

I have been reading posts about Seattle for months and finally gathered all my questions and posted them. Then I read your post and you have answered almost all of them! Go figure! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the wonderful information. On my last trip to Seattle a year ago, we stayed in the downtown area and still did not see half of what you did. I'm hoping I'll be able to do more on my upcoming trip in September. I don't mind wearing myself out a bit because I'm going to have plenty of time to relax on the cruise and watch the scenery go by!

Thank you so much for posting all the info for your day in Seattle. We are staying at the Radisson at the airport for one night in early August. Hoping to get into Seattle both days as we have an evening flight to Fairbanks for a four day land tour before getting on the Miilineum in Seward.

Love the idea of Columbus tower. My DH has a fear of heights so would not be able to do the Space Needle. The tower being enclosed would make it something we can both enjoy.

Thank you so much for posting all the info for your day in Seattle. We are staying at the Radisson at the airport for one night in early August. Hoping to get into Seattle both days as we have an evening flight to Fairbanks for a four day land tour before getting on the Miilineum in Seward.

Love the idea of Columbia tower. My DH has a fear of heights so would not be able to do the Space Needle. The tower being enclosed would make it something we can both enjoy.

I think the Seattle Express Shuttle will get you to the pier for $12 pp.

http://www.seattleexpress.com/2901.html

Luvsnorkeling, thanks for your post. Honey and I are sailing 8/11 and I'm investigating options for us. We'd rather spend $ on excursions so I'm looking for good service/good price.

Were you happy with Sleep Inn? Arriving Monday night and really just need a place to sleep, but don't want to stay in a dump. I figured airport was better than downtown. We will do our city touring after the cruise

Also, which shuttle did you use? Lowest I've found is $22 per person one way from the airport to the pier. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise!

FYI for anyone else looking into this: it's $12 from hotel to pier but from airport to pier (or pier to airport) it's $22 per person. No good bargains when going directly between the pier and airport.

FYI for anyone else looking into this: it's $12 from hotel to pier but from airport to pier (or pier to airport) it's $22 per person. No good bargains when going directly between the pier and airport.

Seattle Express is $12pp for either direction. http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html

Perhaps you're looking at Shuttle Express ??

Seattle Express is $12pp for either direction. http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html

Perhaps you're looking at Shuttle Express ??

Nope, I am definitely looking at Seattle Express. Though let me correct something, pier to airport IS $12. Airport to pier is not something they do directly and usually outsource that to Shuttle Express (so in that sense you're right) which is something you even see on their website and that rate, airport to pier, is $22. When I called them though they even referred me to some third company for airport to pier. Anyway, bottom line is that they're definitely a great option hotel to anywhere and pier to airport/hotel but airport to pier is a bit dicey.

Stayed at Sleep Inn SEATAC Airport. The hotel shuttle took us around 9:30 AM directly to the light rail station. After a 40 minute ride (about $3 per person) into downtown Seattle to the Westlake stop (end of the line), we walked about 4 blocks downhill to the Pike Place Market. There we stayed about 2 hours, looking around and also had lunch at the Market Grill inside the shopping area. Had delicious clam chowder and grilled halibut.

Thanks for the post! This is very similar to what we have planned too. Although with a 76yo in tow we won't be quite as ambitious. We'll need to limit the walking.

Two questions - I thought I saw on the Light Rail website that you can just buy an unlimited ride day pass for the price of 2 rides? Is that correct?

Also, does Pike Place Market have escalators?

Edited by dbsb3233

Thanks for the post! This is very similar to what we have planned too. Although with a 76yo in tow we won't be quite as ambitious. We'll need to limit the walking.

Two questions - I thought I saw on the Light Rail website that you can just buy an unlimited ride day pass for the price of 2 rides? Is that correct?

Also, does Pike Place Market have escalators?

Information on that Visitor Day Pass for local transit is rather elusive! I found an article saying that they were pilot-testing it for six month, last summer. I can't find anything about it being available now on any official transit site (King County Metro, Sound Transit, ORCA) so I'm guessing they didn't continue it (no idea why--seems like a great idea!) If you plan to take transit much and you don't want to hassle with fares each time, you can get an ORCA card and load it with some cash when you arrive. Seattle Transit Blog and Trip Advisor have good visitor guides to local transit options.

The Market doesn't have escalators--it's a old set of buildings with historic landmark status, so they haven't done that kind of renovations. There are ramps down to the lower levels under the Main Arcade, but some of them are steep. There are elevators tucked away in a few odd corners, but they're not obvious, and the place is so twisty and idiosyncratic, it's hard to describe where to look (I SO wish somebody would come up with a clear, detailed, well-marked map of the Market!) There's some good information here on accessibility at the Market and other local attractions, and he has one of the better maps of the Market as well.

Information on that Visitor Day Pass for local transit is rather elusive! I found an article saying that they were pilot-testing it for six month, last summer. I can't find anything about it being available now on any official transit site (King County Metro, Sound Transit, ORCA) so I'm guessing they didn't continue it (no idea why--seems like a great idea!) If you plan to take transit much and you don't want to hassle with fares each time, you can get an ORCA card and load it with some cash when you arrive. Seattle Transit Blog and Trip Advisor have good visitor guides to local transit options.

The Market doesn't have escalators--it's a old set of buildings with historic landmark status, so they haven't done that kind of renovations. There are ramps down to the lower levels under the Main Arcade, but some of them are steep. There are elevators tucked away in a few odd corners, but they're not obvious, and the place is so twisty and idiosyncratic, it's hard to describe where to look (I SO wish somebody would come up with a clear, detailed, well-marked map of the Market!) There's some good information here on accessibility at the Market and other local attractions, and he has one of the better maps of the Market as well.

Here's where I saw it...

http://www.soundtransit.org/Fares-and-Passes/Link-fares?tab=3

"Day Passes cost two times the one-way fare and are good for travel on the service, date and stations printed on the ticket."

That seems to indicate unlimited travel all day, but it's not super clear.